Please stop "Banning" foods... It's killing my will to live.

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
It seems to me that so many people are choosing to "ban" certain foods from their diets to lose weight... Carbs, Cheese, Pizza, Meat, Chocolate, Ice Cream, Goat, etc. It just bugs me. Eat what you like to eat. Eat it in moderation. Smaller portions. More exercise. Less often... whatever, but eat it. Count your calories for it, move on, and continue living life the way you enjoy.

If you can be satisfied with a similar healthier option - such as whole grain pasta vs refined bleached white pasta - by all means, eat the healthier of the two! I'm not suggesting you don't make healthy choices and changes in your food choices. But "limiting" yourself, uprooting your entire lifestyle overnight, etc. is unlikely to be a life-long healthy solution.

I see so many people say "I am going vegetarian" or something as a dieting tactic, yet they dam* well know they love bacon. Just... knock it off. Please. Eat a piece of bacon already.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    mmmm....bacon
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Some people just can't eat things in moderation. It leads to more cravings, which they have a hard time resisting so it's just easier to avoid "trigger" foods.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    What I eat should not affect your will at all.

I choose not to eat those things, because I CAN'T control them. If I eat bacon, I eat a pound. So I eat veggie bacon.

This post makes me want to list the things I gave up. But I won't cause you have a right to an opinion. I have certain goals, and I know what it's going to take to help me get there.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yes...bacon..mmmm....chocolate milk....mmmmm...taco bell burrtios...yum.

All fit in my intake and macros. :)
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....maybe I should try that bacon wrapped cupcake my husband keeps begging me to make....
  • Qarol
    Options
    Ya know...go ahead and list the things you gave up. Then the rest of us can say, "more for me!"
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Did someone say "bacon"? mmmmmmmmm baconnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! I can smell it now! :bigsmile:
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    LMAO! Thanks for the laugh. I'm guilty of this. I gave my bacon away last night because it was No Meat Thursday. Who does that?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Agreed on this....it's important to satisfy those cravings so you don't feel all deprived, the main thing is making it all fit in.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm... cookie dough ice cream.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I thought the same things..... I LOVE BACON!!!!!

I will be honest I DO NOT GIVE UP FOOD. I LOVE FOOD. I limit what I eat and burn it off BEFORE I eat it if I know it is something special that I want to eat because lets be honest if I eat it I will not burn it off if I do not have enough cals.

... great now I am craving bacon.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I choose not to eat those things, because I CAN'T control them. If I eat bacon, I eat a pound. So I eat veggie bacon.

This post makes me want to list the things I gave up. But I won't cause you have a right to an opinion. I have certain goals, and I know what it's going to take to help me get there.

You know you aren't forced to read these forums...
    True I agree it's hard to stop myself from eating these things BUT I will give in everyone in a while because It helps me to know what I can and can't handle
  • Qarol
    Options
    Shut the front door! Someone gave up GOAT? Oh, the humanity!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree moderation is the key... if I give up the things I like... eventually I go bonkers on them.

But the best part of this post... all the people dreaming of bacon... too funny you guys.

I might add, a sense of humor will get you through a lot...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am banning all sodas - we all know there is no such thing as any healthy soda, I am banning all carbs - we all know that there is something bad about all carbs, I am banning all organic products because they are either bathed in chemicals or poop. I am banning all meat, because the animals eat the aforementioned vegetation. I am banning water because of the chemical run off. I am hungry - any suggestions?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I'm not suggesting avoiding trigger foods. Absolutely give up things that are a problem for you. I, for example, had to give up ice cream b/c I've become hideously lactose intolerant *LOL*

It's more the drastic measures I'm referring to. Going to an all raw foods diet, an atkins diet, a very restrictive sort of change quickly without being able to maintain it.

And yes... this is just my opinion. It bothers me to see carbs or cheese get a bad rap in life b/c I love them so *LOL*
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I understand both sides of this argument. Some are good at controlling their portions... others, not so much! I'm trying to find a happy medium. Going out for an ice cream rather than buying a whole container of it, buying single servings of chips rather than the family sized ones! To each their own!

Edited to add: Personally, I find when I try to 'banish' foods, they are more tempting.. you don't want to restrict yourself too much or else, if you are anything like me, you'll find yourself bingeing uncontrollably on foods. I try to look at food as food and not dividing them as 'good' or 'bad' but I know there are options that are healthier and better for me so I eat more of them. But if no carbs works for you, then do whatever you need to do to reach and maintain your weight loss goals. :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Some people just can't eat things in moderation. It leads to more cravings, which they have a hard time resisting so it's just easier to avoid "trigger" foods.

I agree. I don't necessarily "ban" anything. But there are some things I KNOW I cannot bring into the house. Nutella anyone? Bottom line for me and probably for a lot of other people is that it is just best to avoid certain foods.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Exactly!! In a LOT of cases if you eat the portions you are suppose to, stay within your calorie range and eat the healthier option of a specific type of food, you will STILL lose the weight. I am doing exactly that and the weight it is still coming off.

Does that mean you can have all the Pizza, Ice Cream, Carbs, or other foods deemed "Banned" that you want? No, it doesn't. But it also doesn't mean you CAN'T have it either. Just have it in moderation and every once in a while. It is not going to destroy your diet if you do.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I don't think I could ever eliminate bacon or pizza. Actually I don’t eliminate anything, if I wanted I try and make it fit in my calories and macros.