Please stop "Banning" foods... It's killing my will to live.

Options

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways, but banning has worked best for me. I know my weaknesses and I don't crave nearly as often, when I don't have the things that trigger my binges. Good for all the people that can push away when they have had the proper portion. I am not that way and the only key to me being successful in my weight loss journey is to know what I can and can't do. And I can't have pizza or sweets because I can't stop eating them once I start and I continue to crave constantly and unless you have been there, you really don't know.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten bacon for 2 years, but diet's not the reason :wink: ... I just don't eat pork. :tongue: AND I have not banished anything from my diet. If I want it, I'll not eat something else that day, or work out. I love it!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you eat junk food all day... but stay "under" in calories... How does that help someone to adopt a healthy lifestyle? Have you ever heard the phrase "You are what you eat..." Well, there is something to that. I don't want to be made of bacon and ice cream... However yummy that sounds.

Please explain what is wrong with bacon.

Lol, thinking the same thing. Fat is good for you and in fact, I eat plenty of bacon when I am cutting weight :)

Ice cream? Well, that is pretty bad for you unless you are making a protein ice cream with egg whites!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you eat junk food all day... but stay "under" in calories... How does that help someone to adopt a healthy lifestyle? Have you ever heard the phrase "You are what you eat..." Well, there is something to that. I don't want to be made of bacon and ice cream... However yummy that sounds.

It would depend on the bacon but most is very salty and fatty.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Lol, thinking the same thing. Fat is good for you and in fact, I eat plenty of bacon when I am cutting weight :)

Ice cream? Well, that is pretty bad for you unless you are making a protein ice cream with egg whites!

Why are buff people like you allowed on a dieting website?? *LOL*

kidding ;-)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I have done it both ways, but banning has worked best for me. I know my weaknesses and I don't crave nearly as often, when I don't have the things that trigger my binges. Good for all the people that can push away when they have had the proper portion. I am not that way and the only key to me being successful in my weight loss journey is to know what I can and can't do. And I can't have pizza or sweets because I can't stop eating them once I start and I continue to crave constantly and unless you have been there, you really don't know.

Not really my point, if you read back, but in your defense, my point was poorly made :) *LOL*

And I'm overweight... of course I know what it's like to have cravings and trigger foods. Hellooooooo.... 12 oz Weyawega Aged Sharp Cheddar!!! *LOL*
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Why are buff people like you allowed on a dieting website?? *LOL*

kidding ;-)

Started out at a chunky 240+ :( - see my fat pic in the pool!
    Actually, You've made a good point that took me a while to figure out.. Banning foods is not the best approach and cheating can work..

Dieting is tough on the mind, and body(slower metabolism, lower immunity).. Do it long enough and hard enough and it starts to work agianst you..

Thx for the buff comment ;)
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    A friend once "forced" me to try his chocolate covered bacon :sick: .....needless to say, I have had a hard time with bacon since then. Guess maybe that was a good thing in the long run. Some things are just not meant to be covered in chocolate! Why ruin a good thing? :love: mmmmmmm chocolate.:tongue:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

Not really my point, if you read back, but in your defense, my point was poorly made :) *LOL*

And I'm overweight... of course I know what it's like to have cravings and trigger foods. Hellooooooo.... 12 oz Weyawega Aged Sharp Cheddar!!! *LOL*

My response was more toward some other reponses to you, without really pointing a finger, if you know what I mean. Sorry didn't mean to make it look like I was repling to what you were saying. I had already replied to you in an earlier post.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I don't outright ban anything, but I do like to find healthier, homemade versions or substitutions when I can. Almost everything can be made more healthy when it's made at home instead of restuarant/fast-food/premade(commercial) versions - pizza, ice cream, hamburgers, granola, oatmeal (regular w/added fruit or spices), etc. Even stuff like yogurt and hummus I'll make at home sometimes because it's cheaper than buying the good brands that don't have a bunch of added stuff in them that I don't want (sugar/salt/etc.).

I find when I'm sticking to eating healthier or homemade versions of some of my favorite foods, I really don't miss the old stuff. My desire for treats/goodies/yummy flavors is still being satisfied; healthy eating doesn't have to be bland or boring!
  • odusgolp
    Options

My response was more toward some other reponses to you, without really pointing a finger, if you know what I mean. Sorry didn't mean to make it look like I was repling to what you were saying. I had already replied to you in an earlier post.

Totally get ya ;-)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I don't outright ban anything, but I do like to find healthier, homemade versions or substitutions when I can. Almost everything can be made more healthy when it's made at home instead of restuarant/fast-food/premade(commercial) versions - pizza, ice cream, hamburgers, granola, oatmeal (regular w/added fruit or spices), etc. Even stuff like yogurt and hummus I'll make at home sometimes because it's cheaper than buying the good brands that don't have a bunch of added stuff in them that I don't want (sugar/salt/etc.).

I find when I'm sticking to eating healthier or homemade versions of some of my favorite foods, I really don't miss the old stuff. My desire for treats/goodies/yummy flavors is still being satisfied; healthy eating doesn't have to be bland or boring!

I'm blessed - I love to cook. It really helps control what you put in your mouth when you do love cooking! You can so much more easily control sodium, etc. mmmm..... healthy eating is good eating!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Chocolate covered bacon - Wisconsin state fair. I can NOT imagine that is good.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Amen! I have been using this website since February, and have lost 24 pounds. I have not "banished" anything. I tell people all the time how that's the best part of making this change to be healthier... it's NOT a diet! It's not an all or nothing situation. You eat healthier, and give into your cravings once in a while. I have found all sorts of ways to eat the things I like, and to fit them into my daily calorie allowance. If I could never eat breakfast food (eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc) I would not be able to stick to it. Ice cream is the same story. There are so many things. Learning to be healthy involves learning to make a life long change that you can live with. This means self control, portion control, and healthy substitutions at times. If you know those potato chips are a problem for you, then don't start eating them when you're starving!

Thank you for posting this! I have been thinking the same thing for so long!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being able to eat anything you like and still lose weight. Some of us are just not so lucky. If I (or someone you know) ban foods from my diet, it should not 'kill' your will to live......or make you feel 'guilty' about the foods you enjoy. To each their own.

Now, if your point is to the extremist or OCD folks whom you can't take anywhere because they don't eat anything.... (rolling eyes).... then I know just how this does want to make you take an exit from this world!.... been there... with those people who you worry their head will explode because there was a crumb of a kruton in their salad... hahahaha....
  • rachelw16
    rachelw16 Posts: 90
    Options
    Seriously. If I banned ice cream and Chinese food (my two favourites!) guess who would find herself eating a gallon of ice cream and three pounds of General Tao chicken in a binge? I eat in moderation, sure, but banning something just makes me crave it!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't ban foods, but I ban "food" items that aren't really food. Like...poptarts
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    I know i have issues with certain foods Big Time issues....but I was just sitting here reading all of our posts and wondering if there were a forum for food/about food/re: food in lets say Democratic Republic of Congo were people are starving to death...what would that forum look like.
    We are so blessed to be able to pick and choose what and what not to eat. I wish I always took advantage of the healthest options.
    That is all....just posting random thoughts.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Shut the front door! Someone gave up GOAT? Oh, the humanity!

I am so glad someone else noticed the re-reference to goat from earlier today. Hahah I cracked up when I read this post!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I don't ban foods, but I ban "food" items that aren't really food. Like...poptarts

And that totally makes sense. My point was poorly made *LOL* I didn't mean not to make wise choices... that's just a part of real life dieting and lifestyle changes. Making better choices :)