Please stop "Banning" foods... It's killing my will to live.

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever eliminate bacon or pizza. Actually I don’t eliminate anything, if I wanted I try and make it fit in my calories and macros.

And what about bacon on pizza?

C'mon man! Gettin' hungry!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever eliminate bacon or pizza. Actually I don’t eliminate anything, if I wanted I try and make it fit in my calories and macros.

And what about bacon on pizza?

mmmm.... we have amazing Italian restaurants and pizza where I'm from.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bacon? That's what I eat on a lean day :)
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    LOL on "killing your will to live" but your point should not be missed. Banning certain foods really is, IMHO, a recipe for failure, unless of course you can GUARANTEE that you will never, ever, eat those banned foods again. First of all, after "banning" that food, your body becomes used to the lack thereof, and when it's introduced to it, it will want to hold on to those parts that it has been deprived of for so long. Secondly, banning them really makes you want them more, and when you finally cave, you tend to binge, then you feel like you've failed, usually spiralling, well, you get where that could lead. Third, and probably the most important is, if you're going to be able to lose the weight and keep it off, doesn't it make more sense to do something you can live with for the rest of your life? You're more likely to be able to deal with eating stuff in moderation if you don't have to go without something, and you're more likely to stick to healthy choices if you can have that "forbidden" thing once in awhile, in moderation.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Why would it matter if someone was on the Atkins diet and you weren't? Just eat what you like--if moderation works for you then great. For others, it might not...You don't haveta look at their food diaries!

Everything matters to me. And I have opinions shooting out of my butt at all times :)

Especially after eating ice cream...
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I haven't and won't give up certain foods. The process is as pscychological as it is physical, which means that you MUST change the way you think about food before you can conquer the urge to overindulge in a certain food. I still eat bacon but, now it's turkey bacon - Trader Joe's Uncured bacon is the BEST!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Personally, I can see both sides of this argument.

I practice "eat what you want, but take responsibility for the outcome" approach - meaning either work it off, eat small portions, eat less of something else, or suffer the consequences of weight gain.

However, when I used to smoke, I couldn't smoke just one cig. I had to "ban" them, or I would "just one more won't hurt" myself into a pack a day. Wish I could smoke just one, 'cause more than 20 years after quitting, I'd still like a cig every now and then.

(But even with the nitrites, bacon is still less carcinogenic than cigs, though. How 'bout "bacon wrapped Marlboros" .... mmmmmm)

Absolutely. And I think I missed my point a little - I am talking about drastic changes, not simply choices not to eat trigger foods.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i agree with you. As a modern society we have learned to gorge ourselves on the pleasures and convience of everyday living. high fat foods like dairy products, meat products and fried foods are not really that bad if consumed in smaller portions. Advertisers have encouraged we gorge on good tasting foods showing us super thin pretty people eating, while appearing happy and satisfied. modern conveinces have taken control over our daily lives and Volia, our society has become dangerously overwieght.
    I am doing my best to re-train my hunger to only want a portion rather than large binges by honesty on calorie recording. No diet aid pills, no BS fad dieting, just old fashioned "push aways", and moderation on certain foods. I enjoy eating meat, fish chicken, and all the "so called bad foods" my goal is to have a healthy relationship with my self and eat only a small bit and learn not to binge. That is why i joined this site, plus it's free and i don't feel like paying folks over 2,000.00 to teach me how to eat while giving me Phentramine, or B12, then winning me off. blah!
    thanks for your blog!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I haven't and won't give up certain foods. The process is as pscychological as it is physical, which means that you MUST change the way you think about food before you can conquer the urge to overindulge in a certain food. I still eat bacon but, now it's turkey bacon - Trader Joe's Uncured bacon is the BEST!!

Must try that! I've never looked at the bacon there before!
  • msbeavert
    msbeavert Posts: 75
    Options
    If I banned everything I used to overindulge in, I'd starve. LOL Seriously....depending on my mood I want/crave different things. I didn't get fat because of the stuff I ate, I got fat because of the amount of stuff I ate. That and I just sat on my lazy bum and did nothing. So now if I want a piece of chocolate I just eat a small piece of dark chocolate and not a whole bar with almonds. If I want the pizza, I eat a slice with salad. I want the ice cream...I get the frozen yogurt. Etc.... We can still eat the things we love, just in moderation.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Well... I have banned butter, as crazy as that sounds... The calories in one tablespoon scare me. I had some with toast today though, so I guess that goes in moderation!
    And yeah you can't just 'go' vegetarian. Sooner or later you'll see that piece of bacon and snatch it up faster than you can say "diet".

Ya know what's really odd? I hate butter. I guess that's a blessing in it's own *LOL*
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why would it matter if someone was on the Atkins diet and you weren't? Just eat what you like--if moderation works for you then great. For others, it might not...You don't haveta look at their food diaries!

Everything matters to me. And I have opinions shooting out of my butt at all times :)

You are TOO funny!! LMAO
  • odusgolp
    Options
    i agree with you. As a modern society we have learned to gorge ourselves on the pleasures and convience of everyday living. high fat foods like dairy products, meat products and fried foods are not really that bad if consumed in smaller portions. Advertisers have encouraged we gorge on good tasting foods showing us super thin pretty people eating, while appearing happy and satisfied. modern conveinces have taken control over our daily lives and Volia, our society has become dangerously overwieght.
    I am doing my best to re-train my hunger to only want a portion rather than large binges by honesty on calorie recording. No diet aid pills, no BS fad dieting, just old fashioned "push aways", and moderation on certain foods. I enjoy eating meat, fish chicken, and all the "so called bad foods" my goal is to have a healthy relationship with my self and eat only a small bit and learn not to binge. That is why i joined this site, plus it's free and i don't feel like paying folks over 2,000.00 to teach me how to eat while giving me Phentramine, or B12, then winning me off. blah!
    thanks for your blog!

FAD Dieting! I think you hit the nail on the head in where I was trying to go...
  • driventotheend
    Options
    Well... I have banned butter, as crazy as that sounds... The calories in one tablespoon scare me. I had some with toast today though, so I guess that goes in moderation!
    And yeah you can't just 'go' vegetarian. Sooner or later you'll see that piece of bacon and snatch it up faster than you can say "diet".

well...unless you go vegetarian for reasons other than losing weight! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years now and bacon doesn't tempt me. I was never a fan even when I ate meat.

But I don't think going veggie will make anyone automatically lose weight - I didn't lose or gain when I went veggie, I stayed the same.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Especially after eating ice cream...

BWAHAHAHA! Touche, mon ami!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    If you eat junk food all day... but stay "under" in calories... How does that help someone to adopt a healthy lifestyle? Have you ever heard the phrase "You are what you eat..." Well, there is something to that. I don't want to be made of bacon and ice cream... However yummy that sounds.

I agree, banning is not the answer because eventually a slip up will occur. In my case that slip up involves eating an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's... Therefore, moderation. However... It is a lifestyle change and incorporating healtier foods into a diet is key.

This is interesting... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=all
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I don't know -- I've banned Brussels sprouts from my diets since I was a kid -- it's been a lot more satisfying!

Gotta admit, though -- I'm down for bacon ANYTIME!

Actually, bacon goes realllly well with brussels sprouts...yum!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    limit yes I do give up NEVER and yes I`m loosing consistantly :)
  • odusgolp
    Options

well...unless you go vegetarian for reasons other than losing weight! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years now and bacon doesn't tempt me. I was never a fan even when I ate meat.

But I don't think going veggie will make anyone automatically lose weight - I didn't lose or gain when I went veggie, I stayed the same.

You're gorgeous. Can I ban you from being so damn gorgeous?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you eat junk food all day... but stay "under" in calories... How does that help someone to adopt a healthy lifestyle? Have you ever heard the phrase "You are what you eat..." Well, there is something to that. I don't want to be made of bacon and ice cream... However yummy that sounds.

Please explain what is wrong with bacon.