Team 20... Team Persistent Determination (closed group)

Options
53869-1.gif

Welcome to TEAM Persistent Determination!!! My name is Sonia and I am your Team Captain for Gary's "Kick The @%!*# Out Of August Challenge!!! I will be posting a new forum each Sunday in August that way the posts never get too long. I am so psyched to start a month of fun and fitness with new friends!!! We are all here for motivation, encouragement, and positive support!!! Keep that in mind as we all strive for excellence in our own journey!!! I encourage all 20 of you to message one another, post on one another's pages, and do your best to be an insanely awesome teammate!

Here are the members of our team:

Team Captain sonybalony
1 Barbara_Wilson
2 ckarlovec
3 luv_lea
4 DaFrogRibbit
5 BCFossett
6 psychofied
7 Eplizzitiz
8 gemmaterry
9 miko412
10 kmcginley613
11 jessele1971
12 K1Teacher
13 jah1165
14 CookieGem
15 hadley0910
16 cshore54
17 nlynnm716
18 llbird
19 megansmom311
20 vcorish

I will post more info on the challenges as I get the info from Gary. I look forward to an incredible month with all of you and getting to know each of you better. I encourage all of you to post any before and after pictures, bios and any other info about yourself that you would like in order for us to get to know you better!

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri!

Sonia

Replies

• K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Go Team Persistent Determination!! August is gonna be GREAT!!

:flowerforyou: Shanna
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    HI EVERYBODY!!!!

I still need info from a couple team members.

First Name
    Loss so far at MFP
    Start weight for august challenge
    What is your goal weight for August 31
    What is your goal for the challenge

Once I get an email from Gary I will post here what we'll need to be doing! :-)

In the meanwhile, let's get to know each other!!!!

Sonia
  • sonybalony
    Options
    Hi All!

My name is Sonia. I have an awesome hubby, who retired recently from the Army. I have 2 teenage sons, 13 and 17. We currently live in Missouri. I am a full time student. I also work as a substitute teacher.

To join the Army 22 years ago I lost almost 42 pounds, not all of it in the healthiest of ways, I looked horrid and felt worse. Once in the Army I gained 12 pounds back almost immediately and felt human again! My healthiest weight was about 145-150. I looked H.O.T. lol and I felt awesome! I met and married my hubby, couldn't get pregnant, I gained about 20 pounds and nine months later my oldest came along! :-) 3 years after he was born I lost down to 170 again and as soon as I did I got pregnant with my youngest. (Apparently I am VERY fertile at 170 on Mother's Day!!!) I lost back down to 170 a year after he was born by massive amounts of exercise and no dieting, my hubby returned from Korea and we moved where there was not a gym and I got lazy... I can't blame the weight on the baby... he's 13!!! Between 180 and 235 I have always worn size 18 clothes (fit is different, but one size up and one size down don't fit at all) I have been a chubby chick for 12 years now with ONE year before we moved here where I lost 30 pounds with exercise alone (again) and once we moved here there was again no gym. And again I got lazy!

I have PCOS, insulin resistance, asthma and back issues from a car accident. I have lost 17 pounds through medical help, exercise AND diet this time and I can put on a size 16 pair of jeans at 215!! (they are NOT pretty and I can't breath, but.... I can ZIP them!) lol I think I have finally realized that I can't just eat ANYTHING and exercise and expect to lose weight at 40. I have found foods that I LIKE that are well within my caloric limits. :-) I have been on MFP for around a year but the diet didn't work so well. My doctor put me on Metformin and Adipex about 6 weeks ago and that, in combination with diet and exercise has finally kick started my weight loss.

I hope this tells you a bit about me and my weight loss journey!

Sonia
  • sonybalony
    Options
    AUGUST CHALLENGE WEEK 1
    This is the week one team challenge. This should be done in addition to your normal workout routine.

This is a challenge and is not a replacement! If you need a beginner workout please contact your team captain for ideas.

Week One Daily Exercise Challenge

Each team member that completes their daily exercise challenge receives one point, if all team members complete each daily exercise for all 6 days the team is then awarded an additional 5 Bonus Points.

Day 1 Exercise Challenge - 100 Jumping Jacks*
    Day 2 Exercise Challenge – Walk, Run or Jog 1 Mile (extra)
    Day 3 Exercise Challenge – 50 Situps or Ab Crunches*
    Day 4 Exercise Challenge – 40 UP and Downs *
    Day 5 Exercise Challenge – 25 Pushups *
    Day 6 Exercise Challenge – 25 Squat Lunges*
    Day 7 Rest! You deserve it!

If you are uncertain on how to do an exercise get with your captains as they will have a weblink to each exercise.

Week One Weekly Team Challenge

Each team member in order to get the weekly team bonus points must all log every day and not go over their target calories and log at least 64 oz. of water each day. If each team member does this all 6 days your team will be awarded 5 Bonus Points.

*Feel free to do these exercises in sets if you are unable to do them all at one time. Please do your best as you are much stronger than you believe.

Please note each week the exercises will increase in difficulty. This will push each team member.

Modifications will be provided for those who unable to complete the exercise as intended.
  • sonybalony
    Options
    I need everyone to weigh either Sunday night or Monday morning to give us official start weights, this is important because.....

This was posted by Gary...

So I was gonna wait but I can't keep secrets very well. The top 3 contestants who lose the most weight will be winning real life prizes. I will reveal those prizes the last week of the challenge! They are gonna be good! WOO HOO! Go Kick the Crap out of August!

Also as a team we gets points for EVERYONE participating DAILY! I really want you all to post here but please (so I don't miss something) message me with your info when you do the daily challenge/come in under your calorie goal and when you weigh in. This will just make it easier for me to track.

Here's is to Persistence and Determination!!!

Sonia
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    AUGUST CHALLENGE WEEK 1
    This is the week one team challenge. This should be done in addition to your normal workout routine.

This is a challenge and is not a replacement! If you need a beginner workout please contact your team captain for ideas.

Week One Daily Exercise Challenge

Each team member that completes their daily exercise challenge receives one point, if all team members complete each daily exercise for all 6 days the team is then awarded an additional 5 Bonus Points.

Day 1 Exercise Challenge - 100 Jumping Jacks*
    Day 2 Exercise Challenge – Walk, Run or Jog 1 Mile (extra)
    Day 3 Exercise Challenge – 50 Situps or Ab Crunches*
    Day 4 Exercise Challenge – 40 UP and Downs *
    Day 5 Exercise Challenge – 25 Pushups *
    Day 6 Exercise Challenge – 25 Squat Lunges*
    Day 7 Rest! You deserve it!

If you are uncertain on how to do an exercise get with your captains as they will have a weblink to each exercise.

Each team member in order to get the weekly team bonus points must all log every day and not go over their target calories and log at least 64 oz. of water each day. If each team member does this all 6 days your team will be awarded 5 Bonus Points.

*Feel free to do these exercises in sets if you are unable to do them all at one time. Please do your best as you are much stronger than you believe.

Please note each week the exercises will increase in difficulty. This will push each team member.

Modifications will be provided for those who unable to complete the exercise as intended.

So what day are we counting as day 1? I am super excited to get started and I am looking forward to the support we can give one another. I will weigh in and post stats this coming Sunday.
  • sonybalony
    Options
    August 1 (Monday) is day 1. :-)

Sonia
  • sonybalony
    Options
    some introductions are found here if you'd like to see :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/303328-who-s-on-team-20?page=1#posts-4021297
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi everyone on Team 20!
    My name is Laura and I moved to British Columbia from Southern California to study when I was 17. Met my future husband and...stayed. We have one son, age 31 and a granddaughter who will be 2 come September 3rd.

I am an accountant, have worked in municipal government for over 28 years, and am now a manager with the Fire Department. Love my job!

I used to be very fit in my teen years, was a competitive gymnast, but long hours on the job and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle have taken its toll. I lost 35 pounds on Atkins about 7 years ago but it was not sustainable. I have also tried Weight Watchers but I didn't mesh with the weekly meeting 'gab fest' or the program they were offering. Also didn't like the way their own products were being pushed but I understand that has changed now.

I have been a MFP member for just a few weeks (July 13th start) and have logged my food and exercise every day since! Can't wait to start the challenge and ramp up the fitness. Speaking of exercise, DH is patiently waiting for me to go to the gym. He is a great support and encouragement to me and is also losing weight and getting fit.

GO TEAM!!
  • K1Teacher
    Options
    Hi Team Persistent Determination! My name is Shanna - wife for 20 years, mother to 2 (16 & 18) and I teach a K-1 combination class at a small Christian school in the San Diego area. I have struggled with my weight my whole life and even went as far as to have a lap band put in place about 5 years ago - lost a lot of weight quickly (about 70 lbs in 5 months) but then it slipped and needed to be removed. Long story short...gained it all back PLUS about 40 more. Ugh! Anyway...I'm in it for the long haul and I've lost about 89 lbs since January! I'm currently doing P90X plus additional cardio for exercise. August is going to be a GREAT month and I look forward to getting to know each of you!! GO TEAM!!

:flowerforyou: Shanna

Sonia - just making sure I "get" it...you want each of us to message you daily when everything for that day is complete?
  • sonybalony
    Options
    that would be awesome (doesn't have to be elaborate, just a note saying above or below cal goal, did daily challenge or not, and weekly weight)

I know some people prefer to post only here but it would make it a LOT easier if I got it by msg :-)

Thanks,

Sonia
  • dottieb1974
    Options
    I want in on this. how do I sign up???
  • sonybalony
    Options
    I think they have already closed the teams, but Gary6030 is the guy who organized it, if you can't get on a team "officially" I am sure you could hang with a team doing all the stuff just not getting credit for it as part of the challenge. Still fun, still support, just not "Official"

Good Luck!

Sonia
  • wilsonshome
    wilsonshome Posts: 100
    Options

I'm confused about not going over our target calories. I do this daily, this is how I am loosing weight. Is this really a requirement?
  • sonybalony
    Options
    For example, I am not supposed to go UNDER 1200, but I was set at 1200... so either I was in a dangerous spot or I was over my calories... I just reset my calories a tiny bit higher and still will run at the same calories + or - 50 as I was, without messing myself up. And remember if you DO go over the calories, you can always exercise and "earn" some extra calories to eat! I hope that helped...
  • K1Teacher
    Options

I'm confused about not going over our target calories. I do this daily, this is how I am loosing weight. Is this really a requirement?

You could manually change your calorie goal to your specific needs...then you could be under. Just a thought...
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi Sonia

Do we message you each day to tell you we have done as we are supposed to or do we add an extra log for exercise to show we have done our daily challenge? Sorry if that sounds a daft question :flowerforyou:
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    Options
    that would be awesome (doesn't have to be elaborate, just a note saying above or below cal goal, did daily challenge or not, and weekly weight)

I know some people prefer to post only here but it would make it a LOT easier if I got it by msg :-)

Thanks,

Sonia

Great Idea!! I will do this too!
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I already said Hi on another post but thought I would say Hi on the "official thread". I'm Gemma, I'm 28 and live in the UK in Hove which is by the sea. I live with my gorgeous boyfriend of 10 years and our 2 ferrets. I work for Sony as an accountant which I hate, I have always been creative but somehow managed to get a very uncreative job! I love to crochet, sew, (quilting and dressmaking) and anything crafty, I'm not happy unless I have a good book on the go or learning something new and creative.

I have always been unhappy about my weight, I dont think I have ever been classed as overweight but I dont feel happy in my skin. I struggled with eating problems as a teen and have always loathed the way I look. So this is more of a journey to get a body I am happy with but more importantly learn to like myself. I had a little NSV yesterday where I was getting dressed and I thought to myself, yep, legs are looking not too shabby, for me this is AMAZING, my legs are the bit I hate the most and for me to realise they arent so bad is great! Might not last for long but at least I know I can find something redeeming about myself. My other half thinks I suffer from BDD (body dismorphic disorder) and I am waiting for a referral for counciling (which takes forever in the UK as the bloody NHS is rubbish), but I think I am doing ok by using MFP and having a plan and learning to accept myself. Its really helped having a community of such amazing people on here which I find invaluable. You are all really amazing people and couldnt have lost 10lbs without all the encouragement I get.

So here's to an amazing August! I cant wait. :flowerforyou:
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Options
    Hi! You can call me Chari! I'm a 16 yr. old college student and I've been fat all of my life. I've lost 10 lbs since I joined but I still can't see any difference. My GW for the last week of august is 150 lbs.

Go Team 20!!!!!

Also I'm not familiar with Ups and Downs. How do you do that?