The last 10 pounds challenge (closed group)

Options

Replies

• cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats, Val!

I hope everything is going well.

And...holy points, K! Inspiring <3
  • midnight8
    Options
    So I'm rather un excited about strength training, because I know muscle weighs more, right? So how will the last 10 go if I'm just putting on heavy muscle? Help me out girls ;)
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a definitive answer for you Sammy!!! I am still trying to work it all out, but strength training definitely helps burn fat and makes our bodies look better. Try circuit training, which is relatively low weight, or body strength exercise...where you use your own body weight, instead of heavy weights if that is a concern. A muscle of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, its more dense and compact, which makes us look tight!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kate. You don't have to use much weight, if any at all.

The muscle will burn the fat. Unfortunately, you never know the timing of it. Some people will gain muscle and burn fat at the same time.....some will gain muscle first and then burn the fat (causing an initial weight gain). BUT --- in the end, it should all even out and you will look nice and tight. In the end, you might wear a smaller size than you would have otherwise.

If you don't strength train, you will burn fat and burn muscle. You don't want that to happen. Muscle is good.
  • vsetter
    Options
    What's your biggest challenge going to be next week (with the perfect week challenge)??? Drinking all my water is going to be the hardest thing for me.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge will be getting the exercise in. Now that school has started my weeknights are crazy! How much free time I have is dictated by how much homework the kids have. And my youngest is really struggling this year so getting through hers is just draining. Report cards haven't even come out yet and I already miss summer!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    The hardest part for me is definitely going to be keeping my eating and drinking in the check sunday and the following saturday. This sunday I know I will have beer belly and want to eat EVERYTHING, but I already picked up food and have my day planned out. I'm making delicious comforting things that will make me feel like I'm eating badly (which I love to do on sundays :wink: ). And next saturday we have a wedding, I will just have to limit my drinks and try and avoid the apps...dinner only. Desserts are never really an issue for me at weddings, I'm usually having so much fun or away from my table that I totally forget about them....again its the alcohol that will be my hardest part!!!! BUT I need to make a plan and stick with it...get a good workout in so I can indulge alittle.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    Getting enough protein, and not going over carbs. I've been a carb-a-holic lately. I know I have my macros set for higher protein, but it's hard. : /

@ k: Can you log booty-shaking on the dance floor as exercise? (Though I don't recommend a HRM under a party dress...even though the thought HAS crossed my mind, haha.)
  • kblue2007
    Options

@ k: Can you log booty-shaking on the dance floor as exercise? (Though I don't recommend a HRM under a party dress...even though the thought HAS crossed my mind, haha.)

HAHAHA, Love it, that is hysterical.....wish it fit under my dress :wink:
  • vsetter
    Options
    What a crazy week! I started the week with that ultrasound, yesterday had a dermatologist appointment for a suspicious mole, and today I met with my GYN regarding the ultrasound.

Well.....
    The mole in question is fine and not a concern. HOWEVER, she found another one that was different than the rest. It was a different color and raised. She took a sample and it is now at the lab. She suspects that it is benign as it is located on my cancer side underneath my tissue expander (implant). It most likely appeared because of all the other trauma to that breast area. Gotta love breast cancer.

The ultrasound came back fairly normal. There is a suspected cyst on the ovary, but doc really thinks that it is just the appearance after ovulation. She wants me to have another ultrasound in 8 weeks to confirm her idea. Although the ultrasound was normal otherwise, doc decided to do an endometrial biopsy.....just to be sure. Ever had that done? The process wasn't bad, but I am not really enjoying the post-biopsy side effects. Plus, she wants me to take antibiotics to avoid infection (because my blood counts have been low since going through chemo). Fun stuff!

Well.....enough about my crazy health. Just wanted to keep you updated. On a positive note -- one year ago today, I started chemo. Exactly one year ago, I started killing cancer. The things above are nothing in comparison --- I can take on anything thrown at me :bigsmile:
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that your doctor isn't too worried, val! My mother went through chemo herself a few years back (brain tumor), so I've seen the effects of chemo on a person. You're a strong woman! Congrats on continuing to kick cancer's butt!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Val, I am so happy to hear about the prelim results!!!! Thats so awesome!!

Beerfest today.....very excited and very nervous at the same time!! I know I'm gonna go over today...its really hard to figure out how many calories are going to be in those many many many many 2oz beer tastings. I will track my food though.

Everyone have a splendid day!!!!!
  • vsetter
    Options
    Val, I am so happy to hear about the prelim results!!!! Thats so awesome!!

Beerfest today.....very excited and very nervous at the same time!! I know I'm gonna go over today...its really hard to figure out how many calories are going to be in those many many many many 2oz beer tastings. I will track my food though.

Everyone have a splendid day!!!!!

Enjoy Beerfest!!! Sounds like so much fun! I love beer :drinker:

The perfect week doesn't start until tomorrow....so live it up today! I'm planning to watch college football and eat my leftover pizza.....all of it. Well....I don't want it around this week.....that's for sure :happy:
  • vsetter
    Options
    Happy Sunday!!!

Because Friday was my son's birthday, I weighed in on Friday morning. I was at 126.75. Just for fun, I weighed in again today (after 2 days of pizza and crappy food) and weighed 127.75. I'm okay with that. Plus, I wanted to see what a perfect week will do for me, if anything.

I should be careful that I don't speak too early, but I have been staying below 128# lately. Not by much, but still below. My original plateau was 126-128. Now it seems more like 125-127-ish. That's something....I guess. Hoping this "perfect week" will knock it down even more.....we'll see.

This week I also had strength training 3 times.

Good luck with your perfect week! Keep us updated on how you are doing!
  • midnight8
    Options
    Okay, here is my info so u can add me :)
    Ht=5 and 1 inch
    SW= 134
    gw=115 (I'm not sure if that is reasonable yet)
    Measures
    Everything is in inches
    Waist=30
    Lower abbs=33
    Hips= 34.5
    Thighs=22e
    arms=10.75

Feel free to comment on my diary or whatever. I will be at the beach, so I'll log when I can, but I dout it will be every day ;)
  • vsetter
    Options
    Okay, here is my info so u can add me :)
    Ht=5 and 1 inch
    SW= 134
    gw=115 (I'm not sure if that is reasonable yet)
    Measures
    Everything is in inches
    Waist=30
    Lower abbs=33
    Hips= 34.5
    Thighs=22e
    arms=10.75

Feel free to comment on my diary or whatever. I will be at the beach, so I'll log when I can, but I dout it will be every day ;)

Thanks for the info. I will get you added. And I must add....I'm a bit jealous of your hip measurements.....I don't think I could ever have that :)
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Happy Sunday Everyone!!!

Weight-129.2

Sunday and Monday-Nothing
    Tuesday-Saturday-Cardio and Strength

I haven't been getting huge calorie burning workouts in since I hurt my ankle. But I have been doing things I don't usually do like circuits and swimming. its really a hard adjustment not doing so much cardio but I feel good :happy:

Doing good so far today.....like I said today and next saturday are gonna be the most difficult for my perfect week, but the fridge is empty so I should be ok!!!!!
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    Val-- congrats on the one year! Glad things seem to be manageable. I can't imagine what it's like.

So...I'm at 137. Up and down and up and down. I'm really looking forward to this "perfect" week, though, and am in the process of making a super healthy soup (with a teeny bit of fatty deliciousness) and roasting two chickens for the week. We'll see how this goes.

Sunday: 54 min. Zumba
    Monday: 34 min. Yoga Meltdown
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: 43 min. trying the Butt Bible, upper and lower. Not a fan, but the next day my arms were in some serious (good) pain.
    Thursday: Rest (but didn't log the 15 minutes of trying Zumba on the PS3, haha)
    Friday: 54 min. Zumba
    Saturday: 34 min. Yoga Meltdown

When I feel like I haven't made progress (which is half the time now), I have this inclination to "punish" myself for whatever I've done wrong. I'm trying not to overdo it with exercise like I kind of did in the summer, and by cutting down I actually started getting my TOM again, but I'm just frustrated by both a lack of progress and my attitude towards myself when I don't see progress. Not happy. BUT...I'm looking forward to the "perfect" week.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!!

That sounds like great news Val! I bet that's such a relief.

I lost another 2 lbs this week! A giant hug to all of you! I was 11 pounds away from my original goal when we started this challenge and now I'm only 1 away. Having to report to the group has definately keep my motivation up! Thank you thank you thank you!!

I didn't do any strength this week. I felt rather drained emotionally this week due to some issues my youngest has been having at school. I skipped work Friday for some much needed alone down time.

I did do some riding around town last Sunday & this Friday. I also did some run/walks on Tues & Wed.

I didn't complete yesterday's log. I was attacked by a pan of rice krispie treats around lunch time and didn't do so good from there on out. I think the rest of the days were pretty good.

I hope everyone has a great week!!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Congrats Cathie!!!! That's so wonderful and I'm so happy for you!!! 1lb left, woohoo!!!!!!!

Cheshirechic-I totally know how you feel...I either "reward" or "punish" myself depending on which way the scale goes.....and regardless of which way it goes its never good and totally set myself back! You have been doing so awesome meeting your goals and getting your workouts in! I have a feeling you are going to do great with the perfect week challenge, its seems like your weeks are ALWAYS perfect :)