vegans did you know that.......

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
I'm just venting a bit and thought I'd share with you:

This was told to me yesterday at a party (by a man who grew up on a farm) that by NOT drinking milk we are harming cows because when they are not milked they will die. I guess like ALL other mammals on the planet they don't dry up once the baby weans, their udders swell up and they just die a painful death. He actually wanted to bet me on it!!

(I know mastitis is a possibility, as it is in humans and all that, but with PROPER care and attention with and with meds it can be dealt with just fine)

I asked him though what if the cow was never impregnated just to make milk.....he said well those ones are fine. Although there is APPARENTLY one type of cow that spontaneously makes milk at random.

This same man proceeded to tell me how mean I was being to tomatoes by eating them since they once were alive (as with all other veggies) and made sure to remind me I couldn't have any black forest cake (because of dairy ingredients) I'm eating healthy dip **** so I didn't plan on eating cake anyway!!

He seemed okay with the idea of vegetarian although he wouldn't do it but vegan was just mindboggling to him. He said he couldn't live without dessert and I informed him that I have made many tasty non dairy desserts but apparently they couldn't possibly be "like this" (as he points to his cake)

Oh and one more thing.......this was his "Funny" little quote to plant based diets.......

I DON'T EAT WHAT FOOD EATS!

Replies

• GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    :noway: Some people's ignorance is just mind boggling.
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What????????hahahahah I need to google that! I always thought that hormones were given to cows in order to produce more milk....
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I hate being told that things I'm eating aren't vegan. I make my own vegan version of everything. I have a vegan recipe blog. I know what I'm eating, shut up meat eater.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    WTF really??? So you should eat cow and cow milk but not vegetables because the tomatos were alive once? It sounds like he should just be drinking more.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    lol I am not a vegetarian or a vegan but what was this idiot on?

If he doesn't like to eat what food eats then I bet his diet is kinda bad with the lack of fruits and veggies.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    haha, I'm not a vegan but vegetarian, and I can't tell you the number of times I've heard that I'm eating 'living things' (aka fruits and vegetables). I just ignore it.. because really what they want is a reaction out of you. If you respond, you just make their day. By ignoring them, we win. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    He needs to be introduced to Kristen's Raw Vegan chocolate recipe book!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    To each their own.

However, I really don't see any difference between the following things:

1.) Me taking milk from a cow.
    2.) A bee taking pollen from a flower.
    3.) An ant taking honey dew from aphids.
    4.) A Brown-headed cow-bird laying eggs in another bird's nest.
    5.) A wasp laying its eggs into the body of a caterpillar.
    6.) Any scavenger or predator eating a carcass.
    7.) Any number of animals taking eggs.
    8.) Vampire bats drinking blood from live mammals.
    9.) Rodents lining their burrows with the fur from other creatures.
    10.) And so on and so forth.

It's not just about health.... eggs, honey, milk... they are all good for you.
    So it must be about "morals". Basically, "it's not fair to take what doesn't belong to us". Right? But, like my Mama always said "Life ain't fair". A lion would eat you with out second thought if it had the opportunity and a coon would steal your lunch right from under nose. Evolution... survival of the fittest... this is the NATURAL order of things.

I just don't understand it.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    WTF really??? So you should eat cow and cow milk but not vegetables because the tomatos were alive once? It sounds like he should just be drinking more.

Oh I think he drank PLENTY.......he kept calling me an alcoholic though since I did indulge in ONE mikes hard LIGHT lemonade!!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    lol I am not a vegetarian or a vegan but what was this idiot on?

If he doesn't like to eat what food eats then I bet his diet is kinda bad with the lack of fruits and veggies.

I saw him eat veggies last night.......BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS!!!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    To each their own.

However, I really don't see any difference between the following things:

1.) Me taking milk from a cow.
    2.) A bee taking pollen from a flower.
    3.) An ant taking honey dew from aphids.
    4.) A Brown-headed cow-bird laying eggs in another bird's nest.
    5.) A wasp laying its eggs into the body of a caterpillar.
    6.) Any scavenger or predator eating a carcass.
    7.) Any number of animals taking eggs.
    8.) Vampire bats drinking blood from live mammals.
    9.) Rodents lining their burrows with the fur from other creatures.
    10.) And so on and so forth.

It's not just about health.... eggs, honey, milk... they are all good for you.
    So it must be about "morals". Basically, "it's not fair to take what doesn't belong to us". Right? But, like my Mama always said "Life ain't fair". A lion would eat you with out second thought if it had the opportunity and a coon would steal your lunch right from under nose. Evolution... survival of the fittest... this is the NATURAL order of things.

I just don't understand it.

I would have no problem if I milked the cow. I have a problem with how these cows are kept and impregnated and stuffed full of crap to keep producing. If we went back to the natural order of things, I would be a meat eater.
  • chelraeb
    chelraeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wowza! I love it when people tell me their opinion on what I'm eating... because it's their business not mine and it really affects their life. :)

He's a dumb *kitten*...
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I would have no problem if I milked the cow. I have a problem with how these cows are kept and impregnated and stuffed full of crap to keep producing. If we went back to the natural order of things, I would be a meat eater."[/quote]

This quote thing is not working ^^^^^

I have always wondered that. I know a lot of vegans and vegetarians who are more against the way the animals are treated than the killing of the animals itself. I have been curious if all animals were just wild or free range and taken care of all nice like would most go back to eating meat or even just drinking milk etc?
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Wowza! I love it when people tell me their opinion on what I'm eating... because it's their business not mine and it really affects their life. :)

He's a dumb *kitten*...
    Yup exactly and this was the first time I met this guy!
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options

"I would have no problem if I milked the cow. I have a problem with how these cows are kept and impregnated and stuffed full of crap to keep producing. If we went back to the natural order of things, I would be a meat eater."
    [/quote]
    I have always wondered that. I know a lot of vegans and vegetarians who are more against the way the animals are treated than the killing of the animals itself. I have been curious if all animals were just wild or free range and taken care of all nice like would most go back to eating meat or even just drinking milk etc?

That's the first time that I've heard that. That is a much better explanation than "It's not fair". So, do you eat honey? Or free range eggs? Or grass fed beef?
    *I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just like to understand other's choices.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    "I would have no problem if I milked the cow. I have a problem with how these cows are kept and impregnated and stuffed full of crap to keep producing. If we went back to the natural order of things, I would be a meat eater."[/quote]

This quote thing is not working ^^^^^

[/quote]

I'm a pescatarian who will on rare occasion eat meat, and my problem is mostly with the way the animals are kept and treated, and the hormones and stuff used to grow them bigger on factory farms. I used to love chicken growing up, but noticed it didn't taste as good over the past 10-15 years - and when I wtached Food Inc, I understood why - these birds practically aren't even chickens anymore - they are just artificial hormone- and antibiotic-laced meat factories with legs. I will occasionally get grass-fed organic beef (sorry, addicted to it in my spaghetti sauce), and it tastes completely different than what is in the average grocery. I don't think I would ever go back to being a full-fledged carnivore even if the industry cleaned up it's act, but I don't have as much of a problem when the animals have decent or wild living conditions, and I don't get upset at folks who hunt wild animals to actually eat - although I do have problems with trophy hunters and people who shoot things just for sick fun.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If he brings it up again, remind him that the veal industry is largely driven by the dairy industry. Cows need to have a baby to make milk, so the farmers breed the cows, kill off any babies not needed for future breeding and sell them for veal, and take the mama cow's milk that was intended for her baby. Also remind him that humans are the only mammal who willingly consumes the milk of another mammal, and who does so past childhood. Milk is intended for babies, not for adults, and it's never intended for other species.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    I don't get upset at folks who hunt wild animals to actually eat - although I do have problems with trophy hunters and people who shoot things just for sick fun.

I eat meat. I like meat. (I had a corn dog for lunch). But I also hate trophy hunters and people who shoot things for fun. How is killing something fun? My husband used to shoot squirrels just for the heck of it. I put a stop to that right quick.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i never understand why people, when faced with a vegan, have to be all confrontational and start being horrible about it.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    If he brings it up again, remind him that the veal industry is largely driven by the dairy industry. Cows need to have a baby to make milk, so the farmers breed the cows, kill off any babies not needed for future breeding and sell them for veal, and take the mama cow's milk that was intended for her baby. Also remind him that humans are the only mammal who willingly consumes the milk of another mammal, and who does so past childhood. Milk is intended for babies, not for adults, and it's never intended for other species.

My dogs willingly drink milk.
    Also... they're not mammals, but you should google ants milking honey dew from aphids. It's pretty neat. Minus the hormones and stuff, they treat aphids just like we treat cows. Build them shelters, protect them from predators, and milk them to consume their secretions.

It's almost Twilight Zone material!