Ideas for non-food rewards for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• VNJohnson
    Options
    race entry fees
    new running shoes
    new workout clothes
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    New workout clothes, or latest workout gadget.
  • Erithil
    Erithil Posts: 52
    Options
    Bump!

(Can you tell I like this topic?) (;
  • BIW2012
    BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeless at rewarding myself.

I meant to do a 20 kilo reward, then I meant to do a 25 kilo goal but when I get there, I just think "nope, not thin enough yet, just keep going". Now I'm approaching my 30 kilo goal (66 pounds) and I have a sneaking suspicion I won't reward myself then either. But if I do, I want to get skin treatment on my upper arms. I'm not happy with them - they are dimply (cellulite looking). I think I'd like to do the 100 push up challenge before I do though so maximise the natural results I can achieve before I head to the salon.

xx
  • Erithil
    Options
    Maybe you should just do little rewards then, like buying a new color of nail polish or a day at the ice-skating rink, just little things you like... or even little rewards that help you on your way to your ultimate goal, like a jumprope or a pair of rollerblades.

. The first few rewards on my list include "some body-measuring tape" and "a few pairs of new black sports/workout shorts." Also for me eventually a new pair of walking/running shoes because I'm hoping to wear holes in my current bedraggled pair soon. (:

But congratulations on losing so much weight already! Maybe that is your favorite reward, and that's why you haven't done anything else. :) That's awesome. I haven't even lost one pound yet, so I don't know how I'll feel, but for now the rewards are in place for me to make this endeavor more fun, like a game with achievements and prizes. :D
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    polar heart monitor, new workouty clothes, things that encourage me.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have fitness goals instead of weight loss goals and for rewards I do adventures/activities. Kayaking, pole dancing class, flying trapeze school, the Color Run, mud runs. I keep an eye out on Groupon and try and find them when I can do them heavily discounted.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure if these motivate me ... but I've found a few websites that reward me for fitness. They hook up to apps and devices (like my Fitbit) so I just connect and then do my workouts and earn rewards! True, many of the "rewards" are actually just discounts in disguise, but I have gotten some good ones, like a $5 Amazon gift card or Redbox rentals. There are charity options as well if I don't want any of the rewards for myself. I'm pretty sure I'd just be exercising regardless, but it has been fun to watch my progress on these sites and get the occasional kickback too!

I did a post about them on my blog if anyone was interested .... they work with several apps, not just Fitbit. MFP is even one Everymove uses (Everymove is limited to those in the United States, I know there are a lot of non-US people here, Earndit is worldwide I believe ... ). http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/get-rewarded-for-getting-fit.html
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My treat to myself is normally a massage - but this year its to save up for a trip to Australia. I am giving myself monthly goals and track how I do at keeping up with them. This month, its quitting soda/pop. For everyday I don't drink one, I will put a dollar away into my savings account to save up for next June.
  • BearEssentials
    BearEssentials Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When my friend lost weight she spent the excess money she used to waste on rubbish food / going out to eat every week on food packages instead which were then distributed at the weekend by a local charity. Ultimately she met her boyfriend (now husband) at that charity so I think she'd say that was a good reward all round!

I am less altruistic and whilst Etsy exists I will always have a long shopping list of things to treat myself with once a month. For me the main rewards are holidays. I have already saved for a fortnight in the US split between friends in DC and a trip to New York when I get under 20st. I am currently saving for skiing (winter 2014) by which time I hope to be able to ski again with no problems.
  • BearEssentials
    BearEssentials Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeless at rewarding myself.

I meant to do a 20 kilo reward, then I meant to do a 25 kilo goal but when I get there, I just think "nope, not thin enough yet, just keep going". Now I'm approaching my 30 kilo goal (66 pounds) and I have a sneaking suspicion I won't reward myself then either.
    xx

:flowerforyou: for your 20 kilo loss
    :flowerforyou: for your 25 kilo loss

:drinker: Yay!! for almost 30 kilo loss. That's a great achievement. Have a virtual hug :smile:
  • Erithil
    Options
    Bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Better health and living longer.
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    New running shoes :)
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Tattooos!!!
  • Erithil
    Options
    A hula-hoop
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Looking at yourself in the mirror.

Looking at the lower reading on your scale.

And as another responder said: Better health and
    living longer.
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My first goal of getting under 250lbs will be rewarded with a jump out of an airplane :)

When I get under 200lbs, I'm buying new rock climbing gear.

When I make it to my goal weight I get three things - shopping in Europe, a "tramp stamp", and I get a wife (well, I'll get her anyway, but I should be pretty damn close to my goal when she slips that ring on my finger)
  • Erithil
    Options
    My first goal of getting under 250lbs will be rewarded with a jump out of an airplane :)

NICE!
  • filicia1025
    filicia1025 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it's massage for me. But once I hit my ultimate goal, I'm thinking of having my hair permed.