August Cycling Challenge: 150 miles, 1 month

Options

Replies

• Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Short ride this morning; only 9 miles. 44 for the month. Have to head to the hospital two hours away where my dad has been hospitalized, after he went into shock from hemorrhaging last night. They will try to determine the cause today. This will probably effect my riding schedule for the month...

Sorry to hear your news - fingers crossed that everything is OK.
  • dmeyne
    dmeyne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah!! More bike riding!! My goal is less than July, since I'm returning to work next week, but hopefully I will surpass it and will be able to increase it. And hopefully the heat/humidity will fall and it won't be so hard to get motivated to get out and pedal!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Short ride this morning; only 9 miles. 44 for the month. Have to head to the hospital two hours away where my dad has been hospitalized, after he went into shock from hemorrhaging last night. They will try to determine the cause today. This will probably effect my riding schedule for the month...

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers quickly.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    hey all

todays total was 21 miles....:flowerforyou:
  • 6Alsmom
    6Alsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    My goal for this month will be 300 miles.

Aug 1st = 15
    Aug 2nd = 15
  • carbonboy
    carbonboy Posts: 729
    Options
    My goal for August is 1000 miles. No, I'm not showing off...it's all relative. Any extra motivation I can get is helpful. Good luck to everyone with your goals. IMHO cycling is the best exercise there is. I've been riding and racing for 30+ years.
  • mattellis2
    mattellis2 Posts: 152
    Options
    carbonboy,

what kind of bike do you have, and what is your average speed? i am relatively new to road biking and just curious.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    Hi mattellis2,

I currently ride a Specialized Tarmac SL Pro.

My ride to work is about 19 miles each way and it takes me about an hour. But there are a lot of street lights, and a lot of rolling hills.

Then on the weekends I usually do two rides of about 50 miles each. We do a lot of mountain passes so our average is usually in the 18 mph range.

It's a wonderful sport, just let me know if you have any other questions.

~Tim
  • zornig
    Options
    My goal for August is 1000 miles. No, I'm not showing off...it's all relative. Any extra motivation I can get is helpful. Good luck to everyone with your goals. IMHO cycling is the best exercise there is. I've been riding and racing for 30+ years.

Wow, that is INTENSE. How much time do you spend on the bike per week? Do you ride an indoor trainer as well?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I'll try for 200.

I'm not off to a good start however, I intended to ride to work today and went out in the garage to find a stupid flat. I ended up driving today.
  • zornig
    Options
    I'm in, I'll try for 200.

I'm not off to a good start however, I intended to ride to work today and went out in the garage to find a stupid flat. I ended up driving today.

Did you try to inflate the tire, and it wouldn't inflate?

Ask someone at your local bike shop (LBS) to show you how to change your tube. It makes all the difference!
  • carbonboy
    Options

Wow, that is INTENSE. How much time do you spend on the bike per week? Do you ride an indoor trainer as well?

I ride to work pretty much everyday which gives me about 180 during the work week. Then I get 90-100 on the weekend. A good week is close to 300, and a bad week is closer to 200 if it's raining or if I have early meetings. I try to keep it consistent. I hate indoor trainers so I avoid doing that at all cost.
  • zornig
    Options
    I ride to work pretty much everyday which gives me about 180 during the work week. Then I get 90-100 on the weekend. A good week is close to 300, and a bad week is closer to 200 if it's raining or if I have early meetings. I try to keep it consistent. I hate indoor trainers so I avoid doing that at all cost.

That's a lot of commuting! I start my new job in another 6 weeks, and I'm looking forward to my 20 mile (total) daily bike commute. I've always hated trainers as well, but I'm moving to someplace completely flat and I don't see another way of getting in hill workouts...
  • carbonboy
    Options

That's a lot of commuting! I start my new job in another 6 weeks, and I'm looking forward to my 20 mile (total) daily bike commute. I've always hated trainers as well, but I'm moving to someplace completely flat and I don't see another way of getting in hill workouts...

20 miles roundtrip is still a good amount of mileage. Just let half the air out of your tires, that'll make it feel like you're going up hill all the time.

You should move out here to Southern California...we have flat, mountains, coast, desert, pretty much everything a cyclist could want.
  • zornig
    Options
    You should move out here to Southern California...we have flat, mountains, coast, desert, pretty much everything a cyclist could want.

Ha! My dad lives in Encinitas, CA--I have suffered greatly on the surrounding hills.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!inspiring....good luck
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Rode 6.07mi today.... Total in banner below
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Road 9 more miles tonight; total of 53 miles for August. Keep on riding...

Dad is stable, but still losing blood. They are running tests now to determine the cause; should know more later in the week.
  • dmeyne
    dmeyne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow...we have some serious cyclists on here! It's cool to see everyone's goals. I got in a 24 mile ride despite the temps/humidity. We were under a "heat warning" until 8pm tonight. I started my ride at 9am, so it wasn't quite so hot yet.
  • mattellis2
    mattellis2 Posts: 152
    Options
    20 miles last night. new route, with new hills. they destroyed me! :)