Senior Golden Sneakers............August

Replies

• marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Hello ladies,

Been working hard, reading and running after our newest addition Ben. Keeping to the fasting and it is going well. Calories have bounced between the 900's and 1800's. Breads and olive oil, add the highest calories that jack the intake well up. Breads are important tho, must keep the B vitamins in good supply. Have not hit the gym in a regular fashion just yet, felt a bit weak on the first few trys, so I though it would be best to give my body more time to adjust. Seeing the littlest dip this week is giving me the feeling I should get busy in there though.

Hope all is well here, I have had a full week of work, and with our new yellow lab Ben we have not stopped. Housekeeping at this point is a going concern. The cats have accepted Ben well. They do not bother with him unless he feels the need to have a tug of war with their tails. No claws or violent tempers have been shown so I think he will be okay with them. Ben seems to understand when they are not pleased with him, Buttons too will give him a good talking to. Training is going well Ben is responding to it very well. For a two month old I give him a lot of credit.

Keep up the good work ladies, our goals are important. Not just for us but for all who love us.

Marilyn
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Welcome Ellen, So glad to see you here. We are honer to have you join us.
    Where are you from?
    When is your birthday?
    Do you have any pets?
    These are some of the questions you will be asked so we might as well start now. Just kidding.

My name is Marie and I am one of the oldest of he bunch. Old enough to know better than put on all of this weight. But Here I am . I will never give up NEVER! I see from your profile you have lost over 70lbs. What a fabulouse journey you had thru WW. I reach goal thru them back in 1969 It was much simple then and being younger made it easier too.
    Anyway glad you join us.

Marilyn glad to see you again. Seems like you fasting diet is working for you. I try it but it did not work for me.

Jeri have fun on your camping trip.

everybody else have a wonderful day.
    :heart: Marie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    [img][/img]1358047vhyl7y6dvn.gif

So here we are again, and all seems well. I really blew my sodium yesterday (with today eating the other half, too), but I was dying for a hot pastrami sandwich, which I haven't tasted in years! It was delicious, and I'll wait another 10 years before I do THAT again!
    ANd I'm planning to get back to my fitness center tomorrow, as the darn elbow seems to be taking forever to heal, and I can't let the rest of me atrophy, too:ohwell:

GAYLA, always good to see you again. I must also be judgemental as wrestling really turns me off, too!:grumble: But nice Neil spends time with you and has his own life, as well!

MARIE, my heart bleeds for you this summer with such dreadful heat! Don't know how you endure it, but you always sound so cheerful :flowerforyou:

BARBIE: That would be such fun, to attend line dancing with you! I may surprise you one day as I've a dear friend begging us to visit not far from you; in fact, they almost moved to your town! I agree with Jake about hearing aids being worth the cost, but I don't fool myself about getting accustomed to diiferences in sound quality. I finally almost am unaware of it, though, and no longer missing most of the conversations! I love the picture (in my mind), of the poodles sitting with you outdoors; they really think they are people rather than dogs, don't they? :laugh:

ELLEN: [img][/img]651171i085p8my3i.gif
    Delighted BARBIE recommended us, and hope you get us acquainted with you, and vice-versa! MARIE was the elder here until I stole that honor and made her my "kid sister" by default. At 84, this group has given me new life and different outlooks and much support, and everyone here becomes like family. I have been married since 1977 to my 3rd husband, and there are 6 kids (adults!)
    and 8 grandchildren (adults!) between us! Mike is slim at 87 and I struggle with weight, but opposites attract in many ways!

SANDY, I just realized you will be joining CONNIE on your next birthday! It's so freeing to reach that age! And you look about 1/2 your years :drinker: , so it's a double wonder!

JERI, hope the camping trip is fun! Your joke was short, sweet, and to the point, and I giggled at the punch line! :laugh:

MARILYN: glad you have posted again, but I realize you are one busy gal! I think I don't quitw catch onto you diet plan and am a trifle confused, though I think at one point you explained it. COuld you give us a reference to research it? Glad Ben is being accepted graciously, finally! Lucky Lab!!!

Brings me to the end of my leisure, as DH is hungry---again! Have a lovely evening, y'all!

Buzz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: welcome, Ellen, you have joined a great group of supportive friends. If you have already lost a lot of weight then you have a lot to share with us. I found that my new lifestyle is something I have to maintain one day at a time. Going back to old behaviors will only bring me heartbreak.

I have been on MFP since February 2009 and except for a few times when I have been without internet access, I have logged on every day and posted my food and exercise. MFP and Isagenix and exercise were the major players in my weight loss success. A great deal of my exercise comes from walking my poodles. We take a walk for about an hour in the morning and go to the off leash dog park later in the day.......they play off leash and I walk around and watch them play. I started line dancing six years ago and now I go to classes three mornings a week.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: the love of my life, Jake, and I have been married for 22 years (my second marriage, his fourth). He posts on this thread sometimes (usually great jokes). We just sold our house with a big yard and moved to a bigger house with a small yard and no grass to cut in a 55+ park. The move was a week ago so we are still surrounded by boxes :laugh: We live in NW Washington where the weather is fabulous:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Buzz, a pastrami sandwich sounds fabulous. I haven't had one in years :cry: be sure to let me know if you make a trip up here, I'd love to spend some time with you.

:bigsmile: today was another warm and busy day full of dog walking and unpacking of boxes......now we are relaxing in front of our newly installed cable TV.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: the king size bed was perfect last night when it was so hot.......all the animals could be in bed with us and not snuggle to close and overheat us :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Jeri, thanks for sharing the great joke :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Marilyn, how wonderful to hear about your puppy.......the cats will keep him in line.....cats like to be the boss:laugh: :laugh: I'm glad to hear that your new fasting plan is working for you:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    :flowerforyou: Ellen, a big WELCOME to you.:happy: To let you know a bit about me...I am 60 as of last January. I have been married for six years to my second husband. I had eight children with my first. I have 10 grandchildren. I, also know how hard it is to lose at our ages. Bummer :grumble: But, we can do it !!!:bigsmile:

I have not replied here for the past few days. Actually, the entire weekend. I know that I am behind on reading and will have to catch up later.

Speaking of dogs....my oldest son has always had Great Danes. His last one died a few months ago and they got a new one the other day. She is all black and weighs 125. WOW !!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Welcome Ellen!

I am kind of new to this group. I am 62 years old and live in Ontario, Canada.
    I have two daughters 28 and 30. One married one not as yet.
    No grandchildren.

These ladies are great and very supportive. You will have a great time reading
    all their posts. Everyone is doing something new all the time.

We just purchased a new/old sailboat and have been enjoying it all summer.
    We were out Saturday and Sunday again. We are getting our use of the boat.

Have a great day ladies.

>>>Give from your heart>>>
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    I have two for you this morning: Hope they make you smile!!

Lee Trevino - a true story
    One day, shortly after joining the PGA tour in 1965, Lee Trevino, a professional golfer and married man, was at his home in Dallas, Texas mowing his front lawn, as he always did.
    A lady driving by in a big, shiny Cadillac stopped in
    front of his house, lowered the window and asked,
    "Excuse me, do you speak English ?"
    Lee responded, "Yes M'aam, I do"
    The lady then asked, "What do you charge to do yard work?"

Lee said, "Well, the lady in this house lets me sleep with her".
    The lady hurriedly put the car into gear and sped off.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Global Facts About Sex
    At Any Given Moment:
    FACT#1: 79,000,000 people are engaged in sex-right now

FACT #2: 58,000,000 are kissing.

FACT #3: 37,000,000 are relaxing after having sex.

FACT #4; 1 elderly person is reading emails.

You hang in there, Sunshine!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    Good morning ladies.

I lost 4 lbs this past week it is what I had gain so now I am starting off fresh. I am delighted and I forgot to post my star last night So i guess I will have to do it in the mornings. And I am a Happy Star.today. I will be off to walmart soon so will be back to pick that star up and post him later today. See you later:heart::heart: Marie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Three cheers for Marie! You might be our Biggest Loser for a week!

Hi Ellen, welcome, jump right in.

Good ones Sandy! Lol maybe two reading emails!

Barbie, your new home sounds great, and you critters seem to have adapted. Does Bernie cry to go outside? We have several regular visitors to our house. Cats, deer, night creatures.

We are in CA. Waiting to load for home and time off. A few days but thats good. We have weekly raffles at work to benefit Relay For Life, the donationa are food related. Im waiting for this weeks post and then I will try to buy some tkts, Then I will take the winning food to the reunion. It is usually some kind of dessert.

Have a great week
  • Swissmiss
    :flowerforyou: Marie, congratulations. That is wonderful news.

I do not have the time to read and comment this lunch hour. I am so behind in my work.:grumble:
  • CALIECAT
    Happy Star I :heart: you jeanniecraigstars.jpg

Thanks for watching over me
  • Hello all. Not sure if this goes to everyone in Senior Golden Sneakers or just to the person who invited me to join. Hopefully it goes to everyone.

I'm new to the program. Up and down for the past few weeks - lots of external stuff going on but I hope to buckle down and get more serious.

I'm 64, married for 45 years, have 2 kids and 2 grandchildren. My hubby and I are both diabetic so we really need to watch and track what we're eating.

My birthday is June 10, 1047 and this June I'll turn 65!!! I'm working part-time but my hubby is fully retired. No pets at all now - had a beautiful buff cocker spaniel (looked just like Lady from Lady and the Tramp) but after 12 years she is no longer with us.

So, hello to all again.....
  • Sandydur
    Sorry, can't help myself!!

Smith climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God. Looking up, he asks t he Lord... 'God, what does a million years mean to you?'

The Lord replies, 'A minute.'
    Smith asks, 'And what does a million dollars mean to you?'

The Lord replies, 'A penny.'
    'Smith asks, 'Can I have a penny?'
    'The Lord replies, 'In a minute.'
  • Sandydur
    258867or530jtlfu.gif

Welcome Henna and Ellen!! You have come to join a great group. I hope you stick with us and let us get to know about you as you will learn a lot about us!! :laugh: I am 69, born March 10, 1942, I will be married to my second husband Babe 20 years in September. We have been together since 1978, but he was in no rush to get married. :noway: I have four children, 3 boys, John who is married and has one daughter 21 in the Peace Corps in Africa, Rob who is divorced and lives near me and he has a 16 year old daughter who is like a second daughter to me, Brad who lives in Arizona with his girlfriend. My daughter lives in Chaska Minnesota with her husband and 3 children, one biological daughter 21 and two adopted sons, one from Illinois who is 15 and the other 13 who is from Russia. My husband has a daughter in California who lives with her husband and numerous cats, his son lives within a mile of us with his wife and their adopted daughter who is 6. We also have a wonderful Old English Sheepdog named Daisy who is two years old and the love of our life. :heart: I have made my goal weight but would never give up this group they mean too much to me. I still watch what I eat and try to walk my dog once a day for exercise. Once the weather gets chilly I will go back to my stationary bike so I can continue to maintain my weight. :drinker:

Marie, congratulations on another star!! You are so amazing and doing so well!!

Becky, sorry you are so busy at work, but be sure to check in with us.

Phoebe, good luck on winning the raffle.

Shirley, how was the wind for sailboat this weekend?

Barbie, still wondering if the dogs had a fenced yard at the old house or if this is something new to them?

Marilyn, Ben sounds wonderful, would love to see him playing with the cats.

Have a great rest of your day!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Henna welcome to our group.
    This goes to all of the seniors. What would you like for us to call .you? We have a problems with long names.
    My name is Marie.My husband and I both have diabetics but he don't have a problem with it.He has a tummy that tells him when he is full Mine do not. I seems to have mine under control by being on portion control plan now. It is working out great for me so far.

come and post often so we can get to know you We tell everything. almost to each other. Our leader, Sandy tells us jokes and we enjoy them they give us a laugh She will get you on our birthday list . thanks for providing that information.

Becky so good to see you back and posting. Thanks you Its been kind of a slow day today. All of the kids are in school today thank goodness. It wa kind of peacfull at Walmart today. I know the mothers are glad I love kids but sometime they get on my nerves. But I blame the mothers for that.

Got to warm up my TV dinner for supper
    I
  • Swissmiss
    :flowerforyou: Marie, how long have you and your husband been diabetic? This is a condition that is very dear to me. It runs in my family and I have lost a lot of relatives to it. My sister was only 45 and her son had health problems connected to his mother being diabetic and he died at the age of 20. It is a horrible, destructive decease. I help support a cure whenever I can. My bank card is even on a plan that when I use it some money goes to fight diabetes. Sorry to go on about this, but I am just so passionate about it.:brokenheart:

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I didn't know all that about you. I love to read about each and every one of the people here. I feel that I know you so much better now. Oh, that is so funny. ( I just read your joke).

:flowerforyou: hennasaunt, we ALL get to see it.:laugh: Welcome to the thread.:heart: Feel free to post. Someone is sure to have an answer to any question you may have.:heart:

:flowerforyou: Oh, CALIECAT...you have a new star.:bigsmile:

I actually made it to the Y tonight. I thought the new session began tonight. Well, it doesn't until the 6th of September. My daughter and I are signed up for two of them. One of the instructors was there and willing to lead us in a weight class. I am sure that I will be sore tomorrow and feeling great at the same time. And hey...I burned 245 calories.:bigsmile:
  • CALIECAT
    jeanniecraigstars.jpg:heart:
    Thanks Happy Star.

The start of my second week today on my new Plan.
    My snack for tonight will be 100 calorie Pop corn

Becky I have been a diabetic for almost 20 years. Jerry only about 4 years.It is a terrible disease. He does not have any problems but he knows how to control his eating. but not me.
    Welcome again our new ones We are so glad you are with us to share our life with you.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Nice to see Hennasaunt here!
    [img][/img]513727mzfgbailft.gif and hope you enjoy our group!

No time to say much tonight, but wanted to let you know I actually finally went to our 50Plus Fitness Center today, and I did 2 circuits, with our trainer watching that my elbow would not take a beating. It was great to get back there! Enjoyed the posts and am envious of Marie's 4# loss! Will try to comment more tomorrow...
    :flowerforyou: and you, and you!...Buzz
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi to you all. A great big welcome to the new folks, looking forward to getting to know you. I was back at the optometrist today. I did feel like my eyes were a bit better but he said they were a mess. Apparently the glands on the lower lids are plugged and oozing pus ( sorry, too much info) so he changed up my drops and ointments. He says the eyes should improve over the next few weeks but also said he wouldn't be surprised to see me again. I am hoping this new regime will do the trick. What a nuisance. I guess I better stay away from my son and their two cats. I never touch them but I guess the dander is in the air. As with everything, this too shall pass!

Neil's ride didn't show up at his work for the third time in a row. He calls me and then I call them. Frustration but we are coping.

What a hot dat today. The radio said it was 42C with the humidex, not sure if it actually got there but felt stifling to me. Edit** I just went back and checked, that is 107F and I don't think it got quite that high. My thoughts went immediately to Marie. I don't know how you do it day after day! Even though it was hot I am sad to see the days getting shorter. Fall will soon be here.

The jokes made me laugh, thanks Sandy.

Take care and keep smiling. :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I'm in a hurry to get to bed early but I wanted to say hello to all of you :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Sandy, we didn't have a fenced yard before. Brandy and Sasha have no sense of boundary and if they see a bird or anything interesting they would chase it forever, if necessary, so the only time they have been off leash was in the house or at the off leash dog park. In the old house if we wanted to barbecue outside, the dogs had to stay inside or be on a leash.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, Bernie cries about a lot of things but he doesn't seem to be begging to go out. he has found some windowsills to sit on and look out. When I take the dogs out, I take them into the laundry room to put on their leashes and close the door to the rest of the house before opening the outside door, to make sure that Bernie isn't there to go our with us. He has become much more affectionate now that he is with us in the house more :bigsmile: