Senior Golden Sneakers............August

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    This one made me laugh out loud! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Two men are sitting at the bar at the top of the Empire State Building drinking,
    when the first man turns to the other one and says:
    "You know, last week I discovered that if you jump from the top of this
    Building, by the time you fall to the 10th floor, the wind around the
    Building is so intense that it carries you around the building and back
    Into the window."
    The bartender just shakes his head in disapproval while wiping the bar,
    But says nothing.
    The second guy says, "What? Are you insane? There's no way in heck that
    Could happen!"
    "No, it's true," said the first man, "let me prove it to you."
    He gets up from the bar, jumps over the balcony and plummets toward the
    Street below. When he passes the 10th floor, the high wind whips him
    Around the building and back into the 10th floor window and he takes the
    Elevator back up to the bar. He meets the second man, who is astonished.
    "You know, I saw that with my own eyes, but that must've been a one-time
    Fluke. That was scientifically impossible!"
    "No, I'll prove it again," says the first man as he jumps. Again, just
    As his body hurtles towards the street, the 10th floor wind gently
    Carries him around the building and into the window He takes the
    Elevator back to the bar.
    Once upstairs, he successfully urges his dubious fellow drinker to try
    It.
    "Well, what the heck," the second guy says, "I've seen that it works, so
    I'll try it!" He immediately jumps over the balcony - plunges downward -
    Rapidly passes the 11th, 10th, 9th, 8th floors ....his body hits the
    Sidewalk with a loud "splat."
    Back upstairs, the bartender who had been silent the whole time turns to
    The first drinker, and shakes his head. He says,
    "You know, Superman, you're a real *kitten* when you're drunk."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

****sorry for the language but you must admit it is funny!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sandy, the joke just wouldn't be the same with the language. LOL

:flowerforyou: buzz, what a wonderful idea. Someone to watch you to be sure that you do not hurt yourself. I think that all gyms should do this but then, that would probably up our membership dues.:sad:

:flowerforyou: Marie, I just to say that diabetes is nothing to take lightly. It is a horrible, destructive disease. You seem to have it in control if it has been almost 20 years.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers, I've just read through your posts since I was last on and loved learning even more about you! I've not been logging my meals and although I think I've been behaving myself, don't feel in control, if you know what I mean, so will do my best to get back to a regular routine.

A BIG WELCOME to Ellen and hennasaunt. I know you will find the Sneakers' thread wonderfully supportive and reading Sandy's regular jokes will crack you up!!:laugh: Everyone on here is inspiring, whatever turn their journey takes and it never ceases to amaze me just how well we all get on inspite of such varied lives. World leaders could take a leaf out of our book!!! I live in a tiny village high up on the moors of Cornwall in the UK and having been on my own for a few years now I have to admit I love my independence. I'm afraid most of my posts are probably about mad hens, industrious bees and strange coloured veggies but stick around anyway!!:bigsmile:

Marie ~ The BIGGEST STAR of them all. Well done sweetheart for shifting those 4 lbs. Your will power sounds pretty strong to me if you can indulge in popcorn as a snack. If it was in front of me I'd never stop eating it!!:drinker: I love your attitude.:heart:

Becky ~ That 245 calorie burn was a great achievement and as you say, you might feel tired but the good feeling will be worth it.

Sandy ~ Superman had me laughing out loud. Hopefully I can remember it to tell my friends!:laugh:

That's it for now. It seems only a short time ago I was enjoying freshly stewed rhubarb on my cereal and here it is lunchtime already. I'm going to eat as many apples as possible off my tree before the wasps destroy them and plan to pick a bag full to take for my swimming friends tomorrow. I won't be beaten!!

Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ellen and Henns, Again. Please feel free to post here. Whatever is on your mind. We do. I am glad to see Ellen is pretty much at home here.

I see Sandy gave us a good laugh this morning. Really superman that wasn't very nice.

Jackie gave us a cheery good morning.Explain to me what is a moor.

W have another week of 100+ days Gayla/ How did it get so hot there in Canada? Dave will have to installed A/C there if it keeps that up.As you tell me keep cool. I keep reminding myself about the really nice spring we had and sit in front of the a/c and think it is the cool breeze off of the coast.

Buzz where is that hurrican going? Look like she night be s lou lou. I don't think we will get any benefit out of it. Just hope she does't do too much harm.

Becky You are a very nice person. enjoy your post so much.

Going to see what I can get into today.

Have my lunch all ready for lunch time. It will be 1/2 c beans, 1/2 c cole slaw, 1/2 sweet potatoes, 1/2 c turnips greens. , ice tea
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marie....what is with the 1/2 cups? I really do understand. Most servings are about that size. Nice job staying within a serving portion.

:flowerforyou: Jackie, it does sound like you do have things in control. I would suggest that you log your foods every once in a while just to see if you are staying on track. You would not believe how many calories a person can eat if they are not watching things. I am eating a peach at this time. They are in season and are so sweet and juicy.

My employer has begun a weight loss challenge. We can do it seperately or in groups. I am in a group and have been made the captain. That means I have to encourage the others and make sure that they do their weeking weigh -in. I am also planning on sending a lot of printed information they way.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, I'm at my desk in my patio/office,looking out of my glass doors at the eeriest beautiful sight; sun shining brightly on emerald green grass, lake reflecting the red tile rooves surrounding it while the blue sky is filled with huge cottony clouds that here in Florida are called "our Florida Mountains,...while off toward the Everglades horizon there is a purple-black sky full of forboding! BUT, that Hurricane Irene has veered toward the Bahamas, about 200 miloes off our coast, and the prediction is we will probably simply get a tropical storm by Thursday! Right now, it is keeping our temperature at 81 degrees! Unheard of for a Florida summer day!
    Just had the exterminator in to see why we still have those pesky specks skimming around the floor...they look like a bit of dust, but are the tiniest ants imaginable! He found a line of them outdoors going up to our eaves, so hope that's the end of THIS nest! I really need a "gecko" inside to take care of them! Jackie has her hens and bees, and I have ants!!! Hers are more fun.
    Gayla, hope the eyes clear up nicely, Marie, wishing your heat a swift ending, Phoebe, get back to GA safely, Becky, good luck in your weight loss-at-work program, and Sandy...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: AGAIN!!!
    I'm afraid to veer off this post to go back to reading all of yours, as I've lost this 3 times already! IY-YI-Yikes! But love you all, you know:wink:

[img][/img]2131204sjslvveu9j.gif
    Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Had to share this one:
    Last year I replaced all the windows in my house with that expensive
    double-pane energy efficient kind, and today, I got a call from the
    contractor who installed them. He was complaining that the work had been
    completed a whole year ago and I still hadn't paid for them.

Hellloooo . . . just because I'm blonde doesn't mean that I am
    automatically stupid. So, I told him just what his fast talking sales guy had
    told me last year, that in ONE YEAR these windows would pay for themselves!
    Helllooooo? It's been a year! I told him.
    There was only silence at the other end of the line, so I finally just hung
    up. He never called back.

[img][/img]91607rdgh2ugisl.gif
    Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Double posted, ooops,

Gayla, take care of your eyes, DH had similar and he wasnt happy.
    On the way home, yay, later
    Options
    We are Not near VA. So we are fine. If any of you are, please post when you can to let everyone know you are safe. Thx!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Becky , my portion control plate hole 1/2 c and I filled each one up no more no less. i bought these plates at Walmart, they are just plastic and colorful. Just perfect for me. I have four of them. That ought to be fun at work doing a challenge together.

Phoebe what happen in VA. Guess I better turn TV on to the weather station. to fine out.
    Dee mention on news feed they had a quake.

Buzz you are getting to be a pro at these graphics. I do Enjoy them.
    Like your joke too.

Just heard they predicted the hurrican may hit Va, so Is that what yo were talking about.Phoebe.Also We will hit 107 three or four times next week. Oh boy! Another with stuct in the house. I have not been out to see what is let of our garden, Jerry said nothing. He is getting a break from cutting grass for it is not growing. barely alive.

See you guys later Take care.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies. I've done as Becky suggested and logged my meals even though I thought it was going to be fiddly to work out a home made soya based bolognese. It turned out easy because all the information was already in the system, just had to piece it together, so thanks Becky you are so right about keeping an eye on what I'm doing and it also meant I discovered I still had room for a piece of my favourite dark chocolate for an evening nibble!!

Marie ~ I'm not sure how to describe a moor or moorland as we know it because it is probably not a habitat you would find in Texas. It's what's known as uplands, in other words high above sea levels and up in the clouds, which is why I see so much rain!!:bigsmile: It is mostly grassland with bracken and gorse shrubs that get eaten by the sheep and cattle that graze. Most of the moorland around my area of Cornwall is owned by Prince Charles and is called the principality or Duchy of Cornwall. It's open for anyone to walk on or ride horses and the animals belong to local farmers who were given the right to keep them on the land hundreds of years ago and that has been passed down through the generations.

These specially bred Highland cattle can stand the cold and wet in the winter because of their long coats.

P10202781.jpg

This shows the grasslands and general habitat

P10202641.jpg

And this one shows the mine building ruins that are over 100 years old

P10201781.jpg

Buzz ~ Do keep your head down if that hurricane heads in your direction, and what's with those pesky ants? Do they eat the house bit by bit like termites if they get in? Perhaps you could run a trail of sweet sticky jam away from your door and down the drive to head them off in another direction.:wink:

Did I dream it or was there news of an earthquake in Washington? I hope anyone in that area is safe.

Well, I'm swimming early in the morning in order to avoid all the kids that are currently off school for the summer break so will head for my bed.

Nite-nite
    Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marie, thanks for the information. I am going to have to go to Walmart and get some of those plates. I have seen some plates that help with portion control but they are so expensive.

:flowerforyou: Jackie, I didn't think that you would find yourself under eating but I am so glad that you did. A little chocolate is what all of us need every so often.

:flowerforyou: buzz, that is SOOO FUNNY !!!!!

Oh, I feel so bad. I have over eaten. I just may be sick. Does anyone else feel that they just want to barf when they over eat? I am not going to do this so please do not worry about me.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    jeanniecraigstars.jpg

made it another day. Still have one snack left and i guess it will be pop corn again. I can have up to 100 calories. So the 100 calorie fit right in.My other 3 snacks I keep them at 50 calories.
    Becky I have not seen those plates lately at Walmart for they were there summer line. I guess for picnics. Its really doing wonders for me, got some from the 100 store but did not care for them too well. I eat 3 meals day and 4 ssacks a day.Sometime it is just 3 snacks.What I really love about this is I do not have to count calories.

Jackie. Do you livee close to the sea? UK has such a colorful history. Love your stories about UK and your way of life.

See you guys later.
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: The storage is almost empty. there are pieces of furniture and boxes of books. Jake has a friend that will help him tomorrow and that might be the end of it. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I have worked hard with this move, but I refuse to move furniture.:laugh: ....Jake took a load to the dump today and got rid of a lot of junk and a ton of flattened cardboard boxes.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all. No change in the eye situation. I am hoping they will feel better tomorrow as I will be off to a dinner theatre.

Marie -- I checked yesterdays temperature and turns out we were in the low 90'sF and that was raised a bit by the humidity. We generally do have a couple of days over 100F but yesterday was not one of them! Dave keeps telling me that I should not listen to the forecast on the radio. Guess he was right but all that said it felt pretty darn hot. Today was hot again but it cools off nicely in the evening. I am sitting in the family room and the gentle breeze is cooling the house off nicely and it smells very nice from the flowers!

Love your jokes ladies. Take care and stay safe. Gayla :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gayla, I have to agree with Dave. Meteologists can't predict with all accurancy what the weather will be. Years ago, in Dayton, Ohio, we had a TV weatherman who would predict our weather using whoolie worms. I can't remember just what he was looking for with them, but he was more right than any of the others who were using scientific equipment.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Barbie, I am glad that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I dislike moving. And, my husband and I were talking last night about what we might do when the last child leaves home. Thought we just may downsize from what we are living now. But, then he would have to get rid of a bunch of his junk and I can't see that happening.

:flowerforyou: Marie, I am glad that you have found the plates to help you. I was in Walmart last night and forgot to look for them.:grumble: I also have been eating 100 calorie popcorn for a snack while at work. Drives my supervisor insane with the smell. :happy:

I am captain of one of the weight loss teams here at work and we are looking for a name for our team. Any suggestions?
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Felt the tremor all the way at work. My buidling was shaking. :ohwell:
    Same thing happened last year. It went all the way from Virginia
    to Toronto, Ontario Canada.

Just finished my 25 mins. of weights with Annie Lee( High Def Sculpt.)
    You can do it for more like 45 mins. but I think 25 mins. is sufficient to
    get me going.

Had my breakfast of 2 poached eggs and marble rye with peanut butter.
    Yes, sometimes I break down and have bread. :tongue:

So time to get out and do my errands. Feeling not so blah today.
    Hubby staying over night for work and a training class tonight.
    Night to myself. :happy:

:smile: Buzz & Sandy, you ladies are hilarious. I love the jokes keep them coming.:laugh:
    :smile: Welcome to Ellen & Henna you will love this group of ladies.:flowerforyou:
    :smile: Sandy: Went sailing last weekend and hardly hd any wind. We took some friends out
    and she is afraid of the water so gentle sailing was good enough for her.
    :smile: Barbie: Glad to see you are all settled and your pets are adjusting. Its always hard for the
    pets to get themselves familiar again to new surroundings.
    :smile: Becky: I agree that diabetes is a serious disease. I have type 2 myself but I am controlling it
    through exercise and diet. That is why I am on this site for health reasons.

Have a great day ladies.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning Sneakers
    Just got back from Walmart for Groceries. I seen so many ladies that was so overweight there this morning. make you want to stay on your plan. . All a lot bigger than I am Poor ladies.And that is saying a lot.

We are in for a hot week here. I am glad we don't have to worry about buzz in a hurrican. if it stays on the course they have map out.
    Still nor relief in site for us. But we are doing just fine. As long as our power whole out. and it is taking abeaten they are still asking us to onserve real good between 3oo a 7oo PM We cut everything off but one TV and hibernate.with a big old mug of ice tea.

even the trees are weeping now. Hope we don't lose none. I have my doubt about our rose bushes they look really sad., My zinnas called it quilt long time ago. along with all the others plants. We are due for a break.

Better go warm up my lunch.
    See you later, Carry on.
    Marie
    Options
    Hi everyone, as the USA Today paper said, the eat coast is all shook up! I thinkb it was Connie that posted oon her Facebook page that theyve confirmed there was no earthquake in dc/va yesterday, it was our founding fathers!

Marie, I think ok city is trying to keep up with you in the heat, we are baking in it as we stop for fuel showers and dinner. But they have a good breeze.

Jackie, lovely photos and description of the moors. They have a lot of hills in TX. Just not cool and misty,for now anyway.
    it looks like those cows would make good wigs! Nice color anyway.

Hope you are all well, prepared for the hurricane, whever it lands.

We are heading home for a few days, never long enough,, but home is good.

Be safe!
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Is this ever perfectly expressed for just about ALL of us today?
    [img][/img]242419ue4thgm57a.gif
    My goodness, with hurricanes, earthquakes, droughts, and on and on, what a summer this has been!Hope things clear up and no one suffers damage, although I heard the Washingto Monument has to be closed indefinitely for repairs from yesterdays quake in Virginia. Imagine, it was strongly felt all the way from Montreal to Atlanta!!! :frown: Settle down, Earth; are you showing disapproval of our mismanagement of your beauty? We'll try to do better :drinker: !

MARIE: sounds like you are both enthused and successful with your recent approach. Is it sort of Jenny Craig, or what? I did well on that years ago, but I had to buy (and store) their food and it got expensive, and I ran out of pantry space! But I love her macaroni and cheese! I hope your heat "wave" floats away already. poor dear! Although the hurricane is probably missing us, it's headed straight up the east coast toward DD and DS...and DS, come to think of it! So I'll worry, anyway! That's NC, NJ, MA!

JACKIE: what wonderful pictures of your highlands or moors! Brings me back to all the historical novels of the old mining areas and old English novels I loved losing myself while reading! I hope you've read Pillars of the Earth! Your life is a whole new view of
    "country living" to most of us US dwellers! Thanks for sharing. And keep that diary going!--- oh, the ants are teeny specks and I doubt they cause damage to anything, but who wants them indoors? When I find geckos in the house, we throw a towel over them and carry and release them outdoors. But that can't be done with ants, so it means taking their lives.

BECKY: if you don't allow yourself to overeat, you will feel better. How about calling your team "On the weigh down"? OOPS, kinda corny, huh?:embarassed:

BARBIE said "I have worked hard with this move"...amazingly it hasn't stopped you from exercising at your extraordinary tempo! I'm exhausted thinking about you! You deserve all the happiness that lies ahead for you and Jake!:flowerforyou:

GAYLA: I closed my eyes when I read your line, quote "gentle breeze is cooling the house off nicely and it smells very nice from the flowers" and I imagined myself there with you! Lovely thought! Hope the eyes improve soon.

SHIRLEY: your post was incredible! All the way up there in Toronto, earthquake effects from Virginia! WOW! California has so many plates the effects of their quakes are more local, but the East Coast is older in formation, and it seems only 1 tectonic plate controls most of the area from Georgia to Canada, so move one area and it's felt all up and down the coastline, and obviously inland, as well! We did not feel it here in Florida. But my kids and sister did, as I stated earlier in this post.

PHOEBE (and CONNIE),I read, quote "I think it was Connie that posted on her Facebook page that theyve confirmed there was no earthquake in dc/va yesterday, it was our founding fathers!" unquote, and WOW! Hit the nail on the head. I keep wondering if they are turning in their graves!!! I hope you are finally home and recuperating from that long long drive! :flowerforyou:

I didn't get to breakfast today until close to noon, as I was on the phone with my DS who is leaving for Colorado today and due to fly back to Massachusetts on Sunday---along with the expected hurricane's arrival! Hope it veers out to sea before it causes any damage to our shores! Anyway, not sure how to handle the days intake and will probably not meet any goals today. It's 4:45 and I'd better go have some lunch!:frown: In view of all the wild weather...
    [img][/img]1268463simnzdryzi.jpg :love:

Buzz