Senior Golden Sneakers............August

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    BE CAREFUL JAKE!!!!

Older Men Scam
    Women often receive warnings about protecting themselves at the mall and
    in dark parking lots, etc. This is the first warning I have seen for men. I
    wanted to pass it on in case you haven't heard about it.

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular customers at Lowes, Home
    Depot, Costco, or even Wal-Mart. This one caught me totally by surprise.
    Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping.
    Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't
    be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:
    Two nice-looking, college-aged girls will come over to your car or truck
    as you are packing your purchases into your vehicle. They both start wiping
    your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out
    of their skimpy tank-tops. (It's impossible not to look).

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say, "No", but instead ask
    for a ride to McDonald's.

You agree and they climb into the vehicle. On the way, they start
    undressing. Then one of them starts crawling all over you, while the other
    one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen June 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th,
    24th, & 29th. Also July 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th &
    27th, and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage
    of us older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant.

Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found even cheaper ones for
    $.99 at the Dollar Store and bought them out in three of their stores.

Also, you never get to eat at McDonald's. I've already lost 11 pounds just
    running back and forth from Lowes, to Home Depot, to Costco, Etc.
    So please, send this on to all the older men that you know and warn them
    to be on the lookout for this scam. (The best times are just before lunch
    and around 4:30 in the afternoon.)

Let's be safe out there.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Did too much yesterday, feeling like crap. Arthritis is letting me know. Always trying to catch up on things.
    No walk today going out for lunch so that will be my walk.

Well I see the Smiley's are not working today again. (sigh)

I made Kale and Bean soup yesterday and a fruit salad so I am ready for my lunches again.

I caved yesterday, hubby went out for the night with a friend to the boat, and after a nice dinner
    of Chicken Breast, Europe's Best Tuscan Roasted Veges, and sliced home grown tomatoes
    I went to Wendy's and got a medium size Frosty. It was sooo good.(yummy)
    I haven't done that in I can't remember.
    I stepped on the scale and I was down, only because I was so good the rest of the day.

Dave is going away this weekend to help construct a new dock for his mom with help from
    family and friends. I on the other hand, will be going to the boat on Friday for the rest of the
    weekend. Saturday will be the Peach Festival in town, and then our Corn Roast at the club.
    Sunday I will decide when I will go home. He said he might make it back to see me on
    Saturday night. I would just like to be by myself and enjoy peace and quiet for a change if
    you know what I mean.

<<<We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give>>>Winston Churchill
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone. Sorry I have not been around. I am busy watching tennis again, the Roger's Cuo (Canadian Open). Dave is very busy helping the kids with their bathroom Renovation. Yesterday I made a big potato salad, coleslaw along with a ham and took it to them for dinner. It was very appreciated. Today I am vegging in front of the tv.

I quickly read posts to catch up on everyones lives. I won't do personals today but I am thinking of you all. I didn't notice a post from Marie, hope you haven't melted!

Neil liked his fishing trip but really did not like the long drive (5hours). It sounds like they drove straight through on the way back. Right now he s saying he won't go next year but I think he will change his mind.

For many years I drove a company car so it was a bit of a jolt to be without a car when I retired. There was a charge for personal use but not much more than gas. We thought we would try without a second car and most of the time it is fine. We do have a large truck as well but it is a huge gas guzzler which is not good for the pocket book or the environment so it is mostly to haul the boat or to do a trip to the dump now and then.

Take care and get well soon to anyone feeling under the weather. No fun to be sick in the summer. Gayla
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    We had a great time. Here are mementos of our fishing trip.

6033434730_1f50300e27_m.jpg
    Fishing at Pine Coulee by FancyLady, on Flickr
    6033434946_aa49e6cf30_m.jpg

6033432530_a17cdebb56_m.jpg
    6033434420_834df8dcb9_m.jpg
  • fancyladyJeri
    Jackie - thank you so much. I love taking pictures. It keeps me sane.

Sandy - another funny story. Keep 'em up.
  • fancyladyJeri
    Gayla - I've tried physio but massage therapy seems to work better for me. I just had some on Monday and I think I'm getting a little better. I hope so!! And yes, it comes and goes.

I'm glad Neil had a good time. I'm sure he'll forget about the long drive next year too.
  • There are still lots of wonderful people in the world. The following paragraph was sent to me from my sister-in-law who has a severely handicapped adopted son. When he was very young they were encouraged to put him in an institution, but they refused and have taken care of him all these years. My brother is 85 now, so it isn't easy. Johnny's sisters pitch in to help.

"A COUPLE WEEKS AGO WE WERE AT A STORE LOOKING AT A HOSPITOL BED FOR JOHNNY. PRICE WAS MORE THAN WE COULD HANDLE. COUPLE DAYS LATER WE LOOKED AGAIN AND A SIGN SAID SOLD..WE SAID GOD WILL PROVIDE.. COUPLE DAYS LATER WENT IN THE SAME STORE AND A WORKER CAME TO US AND SAID 3 LADIES BOUGHT THE BED FOR YOUR SON. THROUGH TEARS I SAID THANK YOU. OTHER WORDS ,COULDN`T FIND THANK YOU GOD FOR PROVIDING...."

Just thought I would share that uplifting story today. God Bless all of you.

Hey!! Always something new to learn. Did you know that OK is a sidewise person? Who would have thought.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Irene, I so love it when people listen to the voice of God.

I have not been here lately. On vacation and not being a good girl.
  • cblack51
    cblack51 Posts: 20
    Enjoy reading this thread. Walmart took out our fabric dept. how to everyone get Walmart to bring back the fabric dept. .
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    HI cblack51 glad to see you here and welcome.

I don't know why they brought it back but they did. They did not allowed much room tho. I read about it on walmart web site. And sure enought they did.. I am glad since i don't drive anymore so I am a one stop shopper.. And Walmart it is.

Some one ask what Bubba is . . It is a traveling mug that hold ice and drinks. I didn't know what they were either till Phoebe told me about them,
    Well our heat broke today got down to 80 this aternoon back up to 90 now. We did not get any rain in our part of area but it did cool off.

i am watching the Cowboys football game now and thy are losing. Just a game that don't count.

I have been going thru a site of quilt patterns called quilt galore Pretty neat.
    Thats where I been spending my time. On the computer.
    Hope all is well with all of you.

Love ya Marie

Ps I got a note from Judy. Jake had ear surgery. She is concern about him. But having a great time.over there.

Sandy are you going to slow down and catch up with yourself.
  • fancyladyJeri
    IRENE - what a wonderful story. It makes my heart swell. Thank you.
    BECKY - I agree with you completely. Have fun on your vacation, then get right back at it. Life is too short not to indulge yourself once in awhile. Now there others on MFP who would say otherwise but if you know you'll be good afterwards I believe it is okay
    MARIE - I don't quilt, but my Mom does and so does my cousin. They make such beautiful things.

Have a good night all. See you tomorrow.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    everyone seems to be so busy!! It's a good way to spend August, isn't it?
    Irene that was a sweet story, and a true one! A pastor once said that people shouldn't have to be dependent upon weflare, or the government, he said the church should help its members.

Marie, glad you got a day away from the heat, everyone is talking about Texas in our workplace.. how the ground is crisp in places. Now, the other night, going thru Amarillo, it was some bad lightning, and rain too. I slept right through all of it..lol, glad it was my turn to sleep, not drive.

Becky, I guess I agree that vacation should be special, and enjoyed in all the ways available to you. We travel so much, I kinda have to behave more than not.. like I sure would like a large slice of my husbands cousins lemon pound cake..but I won't get it, coz she is too far away, and the grocery has delicious creme cakes on sale this week, small ones too.. but I didn't buy one.. but I keep thinking about it LOL.. had a weight watchers twinkie and low point ice cream instead.
    Now, I am going to look at Jackie's post about cream tea, I meant to before I posted, but I forgot. we have tomorrow at home, and gone again on Saturday. take care

Oh MY, that was a very good explanation for cream tea, I think the clotted cream must be a very occasional treat..but I would love to try it!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Marie: We have Bubba cups in Canada too. When my daughter was married in Jamaica we got them
    for the wedding party. We put their appropriate titiles on like BRIDE and GROOM etc.
    Everyone loved them. When you go to these resorts the drinks are very small. So you can
    fill your Bubba cup with these drinks at no cost because its included in your stay at the resort.
    We get ours at Canadian Tire. I hope you enjoy yours.

Hubby is going away for the weekend to his mom's to rebuild the dock for the fishing boats.
    Its a guy trip so I have decided to stay on the boat by myself for the weekend.

I won't be logging in I will not have the laptop with me. There will be a Corn Roast on Saturday night
    at our club and its Peach Festival in the town. So I will have enough to keep me busy.

I will try and walk tonight if I feel up to it. I am still kind of sore i think I pulled a muscle in the top
    of my leg. Anyway, I will be thinking of you and have a great weekend.

I see the Smiley's are still not working (sigh).
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Enjoyed reading all the recent posts, and nice to see a new member.
    The arm/elbow /hand thing is finally responding to restricted use, so I look forward to continued improvement so I can start posting again soon.
    In the meantime, I wish everybody well, and I see the SMILEYS are not responding...
    [img][/img]459830qyqjkq81to.gif so I send you my heart!

Buzz
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Hello Ladies,

I have been reading the posts but no time to respond to each. Time is just running away with me at the moment.
    We have family staying with us for the weekend, so I will be missing again for a few days (again)Seems to be my story at the moment! I will get back to normal soon hopefully. Glad to hear that you are doing well. Jeri I am so pleased that you are doing well and you too Irene. heart heart. (smileys still not working)

Jackie, I keep mine split mine too. Too much to fit into mouth otherwise lol.

Happy moving in your new home Barbie & Jake.

Marie, did you get your bubba cup?

Heart heart to everyone.

Take care
    Deb heartxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • CALIECAT
    Hello all of you young sneakers. Our cool spell just lasted a couple hours yesterday and started back up. Shucks!!!!! it was rather hot today. I really have not listen to any weather report today. Anther day on a Quilting web site. Just love this site..
    I think I will make a block tomorrow.

Jeri your grandkids look like they were having a ball. good pictures. I really like the butterfly one. So profession loking. you are great.

I have gone back to the portion control way of eating. That 18 hours fasting did not work for me.
    Have anyone tried the Nature valley Granola thin. They have 80 caloies and are quite good. They taste like graham crackers crust with a layer of Dark chocolate. They are not very big. I don't usally like any of them bars but these I like.
    So far I have control myself.

Nothing news around here.
    The kids are getting ready to go back to school here.
    The grass is just about dead. Jerry keeps watering it so if anyone throw a butt out the window it won catch on fire and burn our house up.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Bottle of Wine

A woman and a man are involved in a car accident on a snowy, cold
    Monday morning; it's a bad one. Both of their cars are totally
    demolished, but amazingly neither of them is hurt. God works in
    mysterious ways.

After they crawl out of their cars, the man is yelling about women drivers .

The woman says, 'So, you're a man. That's interesting. I'm a woman.
    Wow, just look at our cars! There's nothing left, but we're unhurt.
    This must be a sign from God that we should be friends and live in
    peace for the rest of our days.'

Flattered, the man replies, 'Oh yes, I agree completely, this must be
    a sign from God! But you're still at fault...women shouldn't be
    allowed to drive.'

The woman continues, 'And look at this, here's another miracle. My car
    is completely demolished but this bottle of wine didn't break. Surely
    God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune. She
    hands the bottle to the man.
    The man nods his head in agreement, opens it and drinks half the
    bottle and then hands it back to the woman.
    The woman takes the bottle, puts the cap back on and hands it back to the man.

The man asks, 'Aren't you having any?'
    The woman replies, 'No. I think I'll just wait for the police...'

MORAL OF THE STORY:
    Women are clever, evil *****es.
    Don't mess with them.
  • Swissmiss
    AWWW Sandy...that one is great !!!! Bring on them jokes..love them.

Marie, I am going to have to try those bars. Anything with chocolate has to be wonderful.

Deb, enjoy your guests and come back to us quickly. I have been absent the past week and a half due to vacation. I know how things can interrupt our way of life. You will be fine.

Buzz, love your heart !!! I am praying for complete health for you

Shirley, staying on a boat? Sounds like heaven. I spent a lot of time on one last week but it was not large enough to actually stay on. Have a wonderful time and will be looking forward to hearing from you when you can be back online.

I am back!!! I left all behind when I got on that plane. I am back to eating better and exercising. Did my Zumba DVD yesterday and want to do it again today. Monday is the sign up day for the next session of classes at the YMCA. I have two of them picked out and will be signing up my daughter also. Not only will we be burning calories...we will be spending time together. I am going to love this.
  • Swissmiss
    WOW Jeri, those photos are great.
  • CALIECAT
    Good saturday morning Sneakers

Glad to have Becky back She always get my day started so good.

Buzz sure hope you get yourself all strighten out soon. I have so many pains if I woke up without any would not know what to do.

Shirley what a Summer you have had.

Deb hang in there little one.

Sandy that was a good one, Dumb Man