Starting C25K tomorrow, anyone else?

Options

Replies

• dieselbugparrot
    Options
    I did week 8 day 1 today, my program has 9 weeks. This week it is 28 minute runs. I felt pretty good and guilty that I didn't do it yesterday so I jogged for 40 minutes straight. It's hard for me to believe I was able to do that, wasn't easy but I did it.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Wow, W3D1 hurt! xD Not used to three minutes straight. Expecting it'll go better in the next few days...

Alex, It does get better!!! I didn't think it was going to but it does. Before long you'll be amazed my how long you can run/jog for. Btw, was it you that was having neck pain? I noticed during my run today my shoulders near my neck were getting really sore. I'm not sure if my shoulders have a tendency to come up while I'm jogging but it's definitely got something to do with the way I swing my arms while I'm jogging. So I'm gonna have to figure that out. Anyway I thought maybe that was what you were experiencing as well.

I am experiencing that and have no clue what it is. I asked my chiropractor and his response was "get a good jogging bra", so I think he thinks the weight of my breasts in combination with the rest of the weight on my front side is putting a strain on my neck when I run? It is really hard to find one in my size, so I may have to deal for a bit longer until I lose some more weight.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tag! I just did week 3, day 2 today and I'm loving this program so far! It's giving me so much confidence and will hopefully be the start of a long relationship with running!
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Wow, W3D1 hurt! xD Not used to three minutes straight. Expecting it'll go better in the next few days...

I will be doing W3D1 tonight... I am a little nervous.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am doing Week 5 Day 2. I have my first 5K on Monday. I was never a runner either.

I adore this program and now look forward to my running days. I am looking forward to graduating and doing the Bridge to 10K next.

Best of luck. There's also a dedicated support page for the program on Facebook. You can do it!
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Success! W3D1 complete. The first 3 minute run was a little difficult (had to play mind games with myself to get through it), but the second 3 minute run wasn't as hard. Plus, the 90 second runs (which were slightly difficult last week) were no big deal at all. I am looking forward to improving this week.

One thing I did like was only having 4 run sessions. The hardest thing the first week was having sooo many runs to do that I felt like it was taking forever to complete the 30 minutes. This week, before I knew it, the lady on my podcast was saying, "This is the last run!"
  • deynon99
    Options
    I started W1 a couple months ago and pulled a calf on D2! CRAP! But today I felt actually pretty good. I went further than I did last time I started it... I'm NOT a runner at all. I'm 6' and 258 right now, wanting to get down to 230 to feel in good shape. We'll see. I LOVE the combination of these two programs together. Love that I can make up for over eating by exercise. It really brings home how the relationship between food and exercise. Pretty cool.
  • Alexface21
    Options
    Success! W3D1 complete. The first 3 minute run was a little difficult (had to play mind games with myself to get through it), but the second 3 minute run wasn't as hard. Plus, the 90 second runs (which were slightly difficult last week) were no big deal at all. I am looking forward to improving this week.
    That's what's been happening with me! :) I just got back from W3D3, and admittedly the first 1m30 was tricky; hadn't been on my feet much this morning, but once I got into it, the 3min stretches were better, and the second 1m30 was a piece of cake!

Week 4 on Saturday... gonna be tricky, but my mental confidence has been good recently so if I can just keep that up, I should be okay!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Last night I did wk3 session 3 and I agree those 3mins hurt at first but by the last one and last 30secs I thought I wasn't going to make but kept pushing I was so happy. I also like that it was 6 sets this time much better, because i struggled with the session i', going to do it again before moving onto wk 4. Its nice to have someone at the same stage as me.
  • applepearapple
    Options
    i downloaded the app but just havent started....i will start tomorrow as well :) add me and we can encourage each other...GOOD LUCK!!!
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Alex, It does get better!!! I didn't think it was going to but it does. Before long you'll be amazed my how long you can run/jog for. Btw, was it you that was having neck pain? I noticed during my run today my shoulders near my neck were getting really sore. I'm not sure if my shoulders have a tendency to come up while I'm jogging but it's definitely got something to do with the way I swing my arms while I'm jogging. So I'm gonna have to figure that out. Anyway I thought maybe that was what you were experiencing as well.

I was the one with the neck pain, and I do have an issue with lifting my shoulders while I run, but it was pulled from crunches and a flare up from a previous neck injury where a photographers light fell and the pole hit me in about the same spo
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are on the middle of week 6 and we suffered our first set back. It's not us. It's the air. There is a march fire in New Orleans East which is affecting the whole metro area. There have been air quality warnings daily. Today is the first day we have access to a treadmill so we should be able to run finally.
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are on the middle of week 6 and we suffered our first set back. It's not us. It's the air. There is a march fire in New Orleans East which is affecting the whole metro area. There have been air quality warnings daily. Today is the first day we have access to a treadmill so we should be able to run finally.

And now Lee is here
  • Alexface21
    Options
    Btw, was it you that was having neck pain? I noticed during my run today my shoulders near my neck were getting really sore. I'm not sure if my shoulders have a tendency to come up while I'm jogging but it's definitely got something to do with the way I swing my arms while I'm jogging. So I'm gonna have to figure that out. Anyway I thought maybe that was what you were experiencing as well.
    Yeah it was me. :) It hasn't been happening as much recently, which I think has something to do with me being more thorough when I do my stretches to warm up. I'm assuming it was just happening due to it being stiff before I ran.

Just did W4D1, man it was a shock to the system! In the end I had to substitute 1m30 of the second 3mins of running for walking, so the second 1m30 of walking turned into 3mins. xD At least that gave me the capacity to complete the second 5mins of running. :) Hopefully on Day 2 I won't have to do it.

Part of my difficulty seemed to be the weather though. xD It's quite hot today, the sun's beating down, but not only that, it's quite windy. Blasts of hot air aren't helpful when running, especially if they're aiming at your front. xD
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    Today I did Week 8 Day 3, didn't have time to do day 3 last week. This week I start Week 9, 30 min jogs from here on out.
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    On Tues I did week 9 day 1. I can jog a full 30 minutes. Yeah. But I'm way too slow. I was hoping to finish C25K this week and graduate to Bridge to 10K but I am just way to slow. So for the rest of September I think I will take a step back. I'm going to redo some of the previous c25k workouts running as hard as I can with a 4lb weighted vest I got two days ago. I will be competing in the Tough Mudder in 2 months and I need to be able to run faster!
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of C25K, but it sounds like something I'd like to try. Can anyone fill me in?
  • shydaisi
    Options
    I have never heard of C25K, but it sounds like something I'd like to try. Can anyone fill me in?

C25K is an interval running program which can get you from the couch (C) to (2) running a 5k (3 miles) in approximately 9 weeks. It is an amazing program! I am currently completing my 3rd week. If you had told me a couple of months ago that I could run for 3 minutes straight even at a slow pace, I would have thought you were crazy. You can Google "C25K" to get additional information. I got the running plan from Cool Running's website (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). The program is a challenge, but not so difficult that it is hard to move from one week to the next. You are supposed to focus on distance, NOT speed, though I think that can be hard to do at times.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Completed Week 6 Day 3 Yesterday! Felt great after the first 25min run I have EVER done!
    I'm so stoked, I printed out the Bridge 2 10K and posted it right next to C25K, so I can transition right into it!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to go with what others are saying.
    I also find the first 2 minutes of the run is difficult. Maybe mental, but for sure physical too. I think maybe I start out at to fast a pace. But once I settle in and get my stride and breathing, the rest is much easier.