DITR Round4 Week3

Options

Replies

• Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Tuesday QOTD :

I do try to plan early however eating out is my HUGE downfall so im not really good at this question!

Tommorow were getting chinese from the takeaway and i dont know what to get at all! Is it possible to ask them to not put as much oil etc in it ? Someone once said it is however i doubt its made to order is it?

All of the chinese places that I have gone it is in fact made once you place the order, it's not precooked before hand, I don't see a problem trying to see if they can use less oil or something.
  • DiamondsInTheRough
    Options
    TUESDAY QOTD: Dining out is always a challenge, especially with large portions, lots of fried foods, desserts, etc. Please share your favorite healthy alternatives and/or what you do to stay on track when going out to eat.

Crap...will answer this on my own profile!!
  • lustris
    lustris Posts: 152
    Options
    TUESDAY QOTD: Dining out is always a challenge, especially with large portions, lots of fried foods, desserts, etc. Please share your favorite healthy alternatives and/or what you do to stay on track when going out to eat.

I don't go out to eat all too often, but when I do I avoid pasta and breads. I usually go for the grilled chicken and green side salad (I think it is a given that you order dressing on the side)...almost every place will have an option like this. I have a sweet tooth, so saying no to dessert isn't usually plausible for me, however I share it with my hubby and kiddo :):wink:

After some thread reading I'm thinking about trying to shock my system. I hope to get out to eat every couple weeks or so and have a meal that I really want...apparently it aids in weight loss as well as being something to look forward to!
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options

One of our favorites is Noodles and Company - it's relatively inexpensive and offers some really good healthy alternatives. Favorites there are their Japanese Pan Noodles and Pasta Fresca - both under 300 calories with shrimp. I also love their fat free Asian dressing.

when going out, I do check nutritional information prior to going, unless I know it's going to be a splurge meal! I also generally do the "dressing on the side" trick with salads and have gotten more assertive about asking for an item prepared the way I want it. Have to admit, I do appreciate the lighter options lots of chains offer now.

I eat mostly salads when I go out. I might venture outside the box if the menu has calories listed (like Applebees, Denny's, or Chili's) but typically I just stick to salads because I know what i'm getting and for the most part how its prepared. I don't do desserts so that isn't an issue but I do drink. With my dinner I always get water because it fills me up and helps keep me from over-eating. If I want a cocktail I get a vodka/soda water with fresh lime.
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MONDAY QOTD: How have you lost weight so far? What is your workout routine and eating plan if any? x

Hi ladies!!
    I'm super excited to get back on track!!

As someone who has done everything from TOPS to Weight Watchers and everything in between...THIS time I'm using MFP to simply just try and eat sensibly. I love the breakdown of not just calories...but EVERYTHING you need to keep an eye on. AND I'm walking at least 3 times a week with my DH and new dog :-)

SO...basically I’m going with the "burn more calories than you take in and eat better" mode...I'm not losing HUGE amounts every week...but it's coming off. I'm in this for the long haul this time and I'm gonna do it!!
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Well it's a very rare thing if i do go out for food...like to a restaurant or pub or something. I find that i'm usually way to nervous to actually eat much so it's not something i really worry about. There's so many things to think about... am i eating too fast, too slow, ina way thatmakes me look like a pig, am i talking enough, too much, why are the tables so close to each other, can we leave yet, why did i agree to come here, am i using the cutelry properly, why is food so hard to get on a fork, are people watching me, is this too big of a mouthful, dont drop it dont drop it, why is raw meat so fashionable?
    Yeah... as you can see i dont like eating out, i spent five years not eating dinner so that i didnt have, to eat it in front of other people in school. It's a big phobia area.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    MONDAY QOTD: How have you lost weight so far? What is your workout routine and eating plan if any?

I started running, which I've never actually done before, and some strength training exercises too. As far as eating goes, right now all I'm trying to do is sort out my snacking. I usually eat fairly healthy meals anyway, but the crap in between is what's piled on the pounds.

This is often fairly simple for me, as I'm a vegetarian, and a lot of the time the vegetarian options are healthier than the meat ones (salads, big vegetable dishes, etc.) This is not always the case of course as there's still loads of vegetarian junk food out there, but it just so happens that a lot of the healthier options happen to not contain meat, so those are the ones I can choose from.
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Dining out is really hard for me...it's funny...I never had issues with peer pressure about drugs or alcohol...but FOOD...forGET it!! lol. So I have to psych myself up and try to stick to these rules

1. Salad - dsg on the side, no croutons
    2. Drink - Unsweetened tea with lemon or water with lemon: often restaurant water is gross, so I find the lemon helps that. Unfortunatly I REALLY don't like diet soda...
    3. Entree - ugh...it's so hard...but if I know I’m going out somewhere I'll try and look at the menu first so I can make an "informed" decision. I try to get broiled fish or grilled chicken (but that doesn’t always work).
    4. Dessert - SOMEHOW I managed to become a chubby girl living in a no dessert home (go figure) so I really don't consider dessert as part of a meal when I go out to eat and very rarely get it
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I eat out literally ever day - I don't pack lunches. I also eat at least half my dinners -- we are LAZY and that is what we prioritize our money on. Also we just like the food other people make (and the dishes other people wash!)

So I do a few things - one is that I live in California where any restaurant with more than 20 locations has to post calories on their menu.

I assume those aren't always accurate so I do eyeball portion sizes as well.

I generally don't get salads -- but I do ask for things like mayo and cheese to be left off, and I either order a smaller amount than I would have before or I EAT a smaller amount than I would have before.

So for example:
    Today for lunch I had a Turkey, Avocado, and Havarti sandwich on whole grain bread for lunch, and a 1oz bag of chips (I find these are often the same amount of calories as a salad with dressing and infinitely satisfying - I don't always eat the chips, but if I feel like I really want them I do. about every other time I'd say.)

For dinner I had a chipotle salad - Lettuce, beans, steak, corn salsa, tomato salsa, and cheese - normally I get the guac because I think it is the best nutrient and satisfaction load for the calories but today I got cheese because I was trying to eat a ton of protein and I didn't want the extra calories since Ihad the chips. Probably won't do that again, its so tasteless and unsatisfying.

Yesterday I had a wahoo's 1 fish taco combo with black beans and brown rice, and I had a chicken fajita platter for dinner (no rice or beans, only ate 2 corn tortillas - never get flour).
  • twistedsista0408
    Options

I try to stick with a restaurant that has a salad bar and like to pick fresh fruits and veggies and stay away from the fattening stuff as much as possible. I don't eat out much anymore to be honest, but even McDonalds has a decent salad as long as you don't get extra dressing!
  • CaptObvious
    Options

I try to stick with a restaurant that has a salad bar and like to pick fresh fruits and veggies and stay away from the fattening stuff as much as possible. I don't eat out much anymore to be honest, but even McDonalds has a decent salad as long as you don't get extra dressing!

Me too!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Dining out:...

Well i start by looking at the deseert menu - if there is something there I really want then I don't have a starter.
    if I know I won't be having a dessert then I will look at the starters, but I do avoid looking until the descision is made.
    I like prawns so will often choose them as a starter, but if I have something like pate I no longer have butter as well
    and only eat approx 40g as that is a portion on pate.
    Main meals for me tend to be chicken or steak - no dressing, but maybe low cal mayo if available.
    I am not a huge lover of chips so will switch out for jacket spud or cut it completely (like last night I had a small brown roll & salad
    instead. Portion sizes in the uk aren't quite as big as in the US I don't think, when we holiday we normally share a meal between us as we can't really take it home to the hotel.
    I always have a glass of water regardless of what else I might be drinking, I only drink diet coke/pepsi but I also only have them with a meal. I very rarely have alchol, last night I had a few but it was my birthday so fair reason. I hadn't had any for a few months at least.
  • lustris
    lustris Posts: 152
    Options

Well i start by looking at the deseert menu - if there is something there I really want then I don't have a starter.
    if I know I won't be having a dessert then I will look at the starters, but I do avoid looking until the descision is made.
    I like prawns so will often choose them as a starter, but if I have something like pate I no longer have butter as well
    Main meals for me tend to be chicken or steak - no dressing, but maybe low cal mayo if available.
    I am not a huge lover of chips so will switch out for jacket spud or cut it completely (like last night I had a small brown roll & salad
    instead. Portion sizes in the uk aren't quite as big as in the US I don't think, when we holiday we normally share a meal between us as we can't really take it home to the hotel.
    I always have a glass of water regardless of what else I might be drinking, I only drink diet coke/pepsi but I also only have them with a meal. I very rarely have alchol, last night I had a few but it was my birthday so fair reason. I hadn't had any for a few months at least.

Happy Birthday!!!!:drinker:
  • journey2size10
    Options

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!
    On another note, I finally earned my ring but I can't fit it in my signature :explode:
    I see people who have so many pics and stuff in their signature and when I try to add the ring it exceeds 500 characters?! I looked at the code and alot of it is taken up by the DITR logo, is there a way to combine the DITR logo and ring since it's coming from the same place?
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    TUESDAY QOTD: Dining out is always a challenge, especially with large portions, lots of fried foods, desserts, etc. Please share your favorite healthy alternatives and/or what you do to stay on track when going out to eat

Eating out was a big problem for me, we got fast food so much it was unbelievable...very ashamed of myself for that. However now that we don't do near as much maybe 1 or 2 times a month I always decide what I want and look at the calorie and sodium content beforehand and just try and plan the rest of my food for the day around that. But I am also going for healthier options as well depending on where I eat will depend what I get.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I remembered another idea when eating out. Order from the kids menu! You can do that at all fast food places for sure. Sometimes the sit down restaurants will let you if you ask nicely.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am so sorry I have been MIA. I have been in some serious pain and it's been so bad someone else has had to log my food for me because it hurts to type. I missed my QOTD and i hope someone was able to pick up for my slack :( So since I have missed out on so much, I figured I'd try to do some make up work and ask a random question.

So, the past 18 days in a row, we have had 90+ degree weather with the heat indeces in the 100s. How has everyone been keeping cool, and how has the heat affected your workouts if you are in this heat wave?
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    8/3 QOTD: So, the past 18 days in a row, we have had 90+ degree weather with the heat indeces in the 100s. How has everyone been keeping cool, and how has the heat affected your workouts if you are in this heat wave?

We had a heat wave here a few weeks ago - I walked stairs and did a lot of walking around the neighborhood to continue some exercise, but it was FAR too hot in my non-A/C apartment to do any heavy lifting or intense workouts. I didn't lose any weight those two weeks, but I think its because I didn't eat enough or drink enough... hoping we avoid heatwaves (index 94+) for awhile.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    8/3 QOTD: So, the past 18 days in a row, we have had 90+ degree weather with the heat indeces in the 100s. How has everyone been keeping cool, and how has the heat affected your workouts if you are in this heat wave?

Staying in as much as possible. I've actually pushed through most of my workouts since the heat wave here (we're at day 18 too). I'm actually glad the trainer I'm working out with weekly talked me into switching from evening to morning workouts as the humidity has been lower in the mornings. I attempted 1 evening run and it was miserable. the biggest effect - LOTS more sweat - I've had to slow down (and not increase pace like I'd hopedby now), and do take water on every workout now, even short ones!
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am so sorry I have been MIA. I have been in some serious pain and it's been so bad someone else has had to log my food for me because it hurts to type. I missed my QOTD and i hope someone was able to pick up for my slack :( So since I have missed out on so much, I figured I'd try to do some make up work and ask a random question.

So, the past 18 days in a row, we have had 90+ degree weather with the heat indeces in the 100s. How has everyone been keeping cool, and how has the heat affected your workouts if you are in this heat wave?
    I live in Salem Oregon... we don't get much of a heat wave here. We've been low 80's which I really like. I get up in the morning and run while it's still fairly cool out. Then I work at 3 in a air conditioned bar so i really haven't experienced much of a heat related issue.