Something positive I did to love me today! Please add!

Options
So my doctor's goal for me this month was to make friends with myself and stop being my own worse enemy because he thinks my self talk is standing in my way of believing in myself. A friend on MFP suggested a list of good/positive things each day I did, so I am starting this thread for all who wish to to do just that. I want anyone who wishes to participate to post something good/positive you did or said (can be self talk or realization not just an action) for yourself to make a positive change each day. I hope by sharing we can give each other ideas of ways we can love ourselves better and truly make friends with ourselves. We are often the most critical of ourselves and we would never talk to or treat our friends the way we talk to and treat ourselves. So starting today I vow to do at least one positive thing a day to make friends with myself and to start to love me as I am and to stop waiting for the magical day I am perfect.:wink:

8/2/11- I looked in the mirror before my shower and found all the things I liked about myself and acknowledged the things I want to change but in a clinical non-judgmental way. It was hard to keep the feelings out of the assessment so every time I started to think in a negative way I acknowledged it and moved on without blame/guilt. Baby steps!:flowerforyou:

Told myself in the mirror while pointing at my reflection- YOU ARE WORTH IT!:bigsmile:

Replies

• ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Add courageous to your self talk :happy: Each day we do need to acknowledge the beauty of our souls, minds and body. Thank you for reminding me to do this! Enjoy the day. Ciao:flowerforyou:
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Today I stepped on the scale and accepted that the slight weight gain was muscle and not fat.

Today, I WELCOME new friends to add me so we can cheer each other on and celebrate success together!
  • kardip
    kardip Posts: 12
    Options
    Congratulations on taking this step! Thanks for the reminder that I am worth it!!!! You are an inspiration.
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Today I bought bananas, plums, cherries, kiwis and peaches and no cookies.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I got up and immediately wished it was time to work out!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....Today I did my workout 1st thing after a healthy (and tasty) breakfast. I think it's the first time in my life I have ever exercised 9 consecutive days! WOOT!

Amy, you have done an AMAZING job! You look absolutely fabulous too! And I'm sure you feel it! :) You should be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished so far! You are an inspiration!
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Today (well, almost--it was 15 minutes to midnight) I reevaluated my strategy. I decided a slower, easier diet I could stick to would be more effective than a strict one I only followed two or three times a week. I changed my diet rules accordingly, and so far I am sticking to it (that's 14 hours now without cheating!). I decided to move more, so starting yesterday I am going to spend a minimum of 15 minutes per day in aerobic activity, plus ten minutes of resistance training. It doesn't sound like much, but for me it's a lot, and I'm so proud of myself for making the choice!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Great job ladies! These are all great things!:flowerforyou:

whitejessamine- we have to start somewhere and congrats on taking the first step! :drinker: When I started the elliptical I could only do 5 minutes and barely and now I can do 30 minutes easily you can do it !!!!!:drinker:
  • Aella
    Aella Posts: 6
    Options
    Self talk is very important. While negative self talk can be inspiring in the beginning, it's really just bullying yourself into doing something that you don't want to. Positive self talk is the thing that changes habits and improves self-esteem.

Anyway, today I told myself that I was already pretty and that my weight loss goal was just to make sure than I can live a longer, healthier life so that I can continue to be my pretty self for years to come. I also painted my nails and did this really cool thing where you press a newspaper to your nails and it leaves the ink behind as a mirror image of the text or image. You know, because I'm pretty and I deserve pretty nails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kcdt4_5Ncc

There's a link for all you gals that feel like trying it out. I used the crossword puzzle.

Also, anyone can feel free to add me. I'm trying to build up a friend base here since I'm kind of new.
  • cnldance
    cnldance Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    aww! that is WONDERFUL! and that's a great idea!! (i never noticed this until last night) but since i use the bathroom every ten minutes from drinking a gallon of water a day, i realized before i use the bathroom i glance in the mirror real quick and give myself this sexy look and go DAMN THAT'S A SEXY ***** (all in my head of course). then i do it again before i leave and... yeah haha:laugh:
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I did not tell myself 'No'!! I always get busy doing things for other people and then say "No" to myself when I need something. So when I had the choice of going to the post office for my son or going on a walk at lunch, I went for a walk! :love:
  • hcam8
    hcam8 Posts: 69
    Options
    Last week I joined a cross-country team at the hospital where I study. They train Tuesday/Wed/Thur. So today I was due to train again! It was raining in the morning, and at lunchtime (when we train), but I put on my runners and got out there. Great feeling! Worth it... and I love my training team...My coaches are the closest things I have to parents while I'm overseas
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    I know I posted for the day but I have shocked myself today so I have to put it here. I got on my recumbent bike to do my usual 30 min and when I got to 30 thought hmmm think I can do 45 then got to 45 and went for 60 and I did 60 minutes and 11 miles! After that I did an exercise that was part of a team challenge I am in that I thought for sure I couldn't do and didn't even attempt the first day it was the challenge, but after doing the hour on the bike I guess I thought I could do anything and I was able to do them they were 50 windshield wipers and I did them in sets of 10-14 until all 50 were done. I was so proud of myself and encouraged by how strong my body has become.:bigsmile: So no more telling myself I can't!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I know I posted for the day but I have shocked myself today so I have to put it here. I got on my recumbent bike to do my usual 30 min and when I got to 30 thought hmmm think I can do 45 then got to 45 and went for 60 and I did 60 minutes and 11 miles! After that I did an exercise that was part of a team challenge I am in that I thought for sure I couldn't do and didn't even attempt the first day it was the challenge, but after doing the hour on the bike I guess I thought I could do anything and I was able to do them they were 50 windshield wipers and I did them in sets of 10-14 until all 50 were done. I was so proud of myself and encouraged by how strong my body has become.:bigsmile: So no more telling myself I can't!

Awesome job, Amy! :flowerforyou:

It's amazing what your body can do when you think positive! Your subconscious does not understand negative (ie, I won't eat junk food), only positives (I WILL eat healthier foods!). Same for exercise - "I can't do another 30 minutes!" vs "I can do 5 more minutes" x 6 times!!
  • pickadilly2009
    Options

Wow that is so darn cool!!!
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Today....I took a 30 min walk during my lunch! Then ate a peanut butter on wheat sandwich at my desk after! It was a great lunch! Yaaa me! :laugh: :happy:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Today I wrote myself a letter. I told myself about all the things I had done to be mean and why, what caused me to do this to me and I vowed to do better for me. I am thinking of blogging it on here but I haven't decided. I think what is holding me back is the thought that others will find it narcissistic which totally goes against the vow, hmmm guess this process takes time.:laugh:
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    I don't think it is narcissistic at all Amy!!! AND it doesn't matter if other people think that...what matters is what you think and how it makes you feel. If it is healing....DO IT! You may touch someone who is stuggling with the same feelings! It is a beautiful thought to write a letter to yourself! That is so creative...awesome!
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks picadilly that was my intention to maybe help someone else do the same thing I just started writing and all the past stuff and hurt I didn't even know I had buried came out. Guess it was pretty buried.
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    I think you will find that the feelings you have that you thought were odd and uniquely odd to you alone....are actually very common which will help others and yourself. You are not weird or odd....you are very normal and unique and beautiful!

You are going to love "Such a Pretty Face"! Have you got it from the library yet?