Do you wear you wedding ring to the gym?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
Never for me. It's really nice and I'm a guy who doesn't like to wear gloves when I work out. I like to "feel" the bar. The knurling on the bars scratch the crap out of ring I wear, hence I don't wear it. But I have been mistaken as being single many a time since I don't wear it at the gym. Some think that I'm being "unfaithful" for taking it off especially at a place where picking up people is the norm.
All the staff know I'm happily married (my wife goes to the gym and knows the staff too), but some members have inquired on my marital status.
Thoughts and do you do the same?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I would if I didn't lose it in a lake a couple of years ago.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    im not married, but i do wear another type of ring - its called an 'iron ring' in my right pinky.

just used to having it there - doesnt bug me anymore
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I do. I always have it on. I can't even feel it anymore but it's there.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes, as much as it bugs me when ( I don't wear gloves) but my ring twists and rubs on the bar. But I need to have it on. I can always get my ring polished later.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear my wedding ring to the gym in a million years. And it has nothing to do with being unfaithful or wanting guys to check me out. That ring is just a symbol of the love and commitment to my husband, but not the real thing. However, I don't want to do anything that could tarnish it or lose any part of it. I know how I feel about him and if I ever got hit on, I would respectfully decline whether or not I was wearing it.

So if you want to preserve its physical appearance, don't wear it. If anyone has an issue with it, that's their own problem. :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My dad lost his wedding ring to my toy box before I turned 3- never bugged my mom except that before they bought it she told him it was a waste of $$ to buy a real ring :laugh:

But seriously, the only person whose opinion really matters on this subject (besides yours obviously) would be your wife. If it bugs her, rather than ruin it during a workout just get a chain to wear it on during gym time. Doesn't gotta be fancy. Just gotta be there.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't have to worry about if I wear it or not. I have my husband's name as a tattoo on my ring finger.

He works for a company that builds rock crushing equipment. When he was in the shop they weren't allow to wear them for safety reasons (welding, grinding, etc...) He was very angry that he wasn't allowed to wear it so we came up with the idea that we'd get tats. We have gotten so many comments about it now we never wear our rings just our tats. However if he ever needs to hide that he has tats (1 of 13) he just puts the ring on and it covers it. Earlier this spring he got a new job and is in the actual field working still with the same company. He can wear it now but instead just looks at the tat.

PS- I know it sounds a little crazy to get a tat but we're growing old together! I have no doubt in it! 10 yrs married and counting!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Always wear it. I can see how lifting would complicate wearing the ring though. Maybe you could get a chain and wear It around your neck. But honestly, if your just working out and not taking it off to pick up chicks, then I don't see a problem with not wearing it. How does your wife feel about you not wearing it?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When I was married I used to get calluses from rowing and lifting weights while wearing my wedding and engagement rings, so I wouldn't recommend it. Baby-sort hands now I'm single :wink:
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I always wear my wedding and engagement ring. Even when I use the machines - it can always be polished at the jeweler. It doesn't bother me to exercise with it on, and I like the peace of mind of knowing I'm not going to lose it. Also, lack of a ring signals that you're available, and that's not a signal I want to give out!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    im not married, but i do wear another type of ring - its called an 'iron ring' in my right pinky.

just used to having it there - doesnt bug me anymore

Engineer!! :smile:
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Never wear mine to the gym... doesn't fit very tightly anymore since losing some weight, and it will slip off with all the sweat! haha

As long as you are your wife understand the reasoning, and you do not pose as a single man, I don't think there's anything wrong with it! ;)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Tell them to find something better to occupy their small minds with lol If your ring gets ruined there & your grip is off & your wife doesn't care, then don't wear it & don't worry about it! Maybe wear it around your neck so some ppl get the hint? lol
  • sra_sal
    sra_sal Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm divorced, so I can only say "I might wear my wedding ring to a gym, but it would depend on how *I* and my spouse felt about it." The fact that the staff and probably some regulars know you and your wife only serves to help your case in not wearing one...there are people to back you up who know who you really are, and how you really are.

If other folks want to make passes, well, you can't blame them for not knowing. And the gossips? Quit giving them any thought (besides, perhaps, pity for their pitiful selves).

Honestly, in my opinion it's all in how you and your wife handle it, plain and simple. If sans ring works for you both, then that's what you do!
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    My ring rarely comes off. Only to shower and while I'm cleaning and/or scrubbing. I need to have it resized now as it's become so loose I'm afraid I might lose it. I find it to be a personal choice though. I don't think a ring makes a marriage. As long as you're being faithful, that is what truly matters.
  • momofacacia
    Options
    I do not because when I get hot and sweaty, my fingers swell and my wedding rings get too tight, making them extremely uncomfortable.
    My husband is fine with me not wearing it. He does not wear a ring in general due to his job.
    We are both happy and content in our marriage and trust each other completely. Married 15 years and still going strong :)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Nope, I take it off. It's too loose on my finger and when I play basketball it falls off. Plus it gets in the "weigh" when I lift. HA that's so stupid to say.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I always wear mine, no matter what. I love it and I love jewelry, I usually have 3 or more rings on. Hubby does not, he cannot stand any jewelry and when he worked he could not wear them at his job. It is how you act that counts. As long as you reply 'properly' to the questions what does it matter?
  • georgiajuly
    Options
    Never wear mine - need to hook up with hot guys!:laugh:
    Actually, I've been too fat for mine for years - it's almost time to try it on again.
  • angeawilliamson25
    Options
    I dont wear mine for the fact that they are not very strong and I have bent two rings when lifting weights!