Do you wear you wedding ring to the gym?

Options

Replies

• tmaksparkie
    Options
    Here is the scoop on me, I am married to a jeweler and no I don't wear mine to the gym. It bigs me when I lift weights and I done want any of the stones to loosen because of it. My husband wears his but his is just a band no stones in the one he wears all the time. He has another with stones for other occalons and I have three total, he made me a new one for our 12 anniversary.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My husband works with machinery and he's actually not allowed to wear his ring to work. I on the other hand, wear it everywhere I go. We once were on the way to the store and realized I had taken it off to apply lotion and turned around to go get it haha

The only time I take mine off is when we're sleeping. And that's only after months of wondering where all these red scratches on my hubby's back were coming from. (totally not my nails..hehe) It's square and very sharp, so I take it off then.

Back to the orig question, we both wore ours when we went to the gym and lifted. However, we have plans on ours where we can get them buffed/redipped/etc at any time for life! (most awesome $50 ever spent)
  • laurenpence
    Options
    I keep my ring on, since I just have a band with inlaid diamonds it doesnt really get in the way. I took it off once and and lost it, so I wont be doing that again. I think a lot of people do take off their rings at the gym, people have their preferences for how they work out.:smile:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i dont, in fact i rarely wear my ring at all right now, because its too big on me and i dont want to have it resized until im done with this journey.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yep I wear it. I don't do any lifting, just the elliptical, so it doesn't bother me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I would if I didn't lose it in a lake a couple of years ago.

That's exactly what happened to me. Side effect of losing wieght.

But I doubt I would wear it in a gym if I still had it.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.

Your body language, facial expressions, & general "spirit" will tell a person if you're available or not. The ring finger being empty is typically the second green light, not the first.

I often go without my rings. I hate callouses and getting my pretty rocks all grimy. I do have a tatt on my band finger ("agape" in greek) so if ppl really look close, they might assume I'm taken. But generally speaking, if you WANT to get picked up, you won't have a problem getting noticed. If you are happily married, you can be a friendly and respectful person and tell those inquiring that you're not available. NBD.

^ This!!!

Love this! :flowerforyou:
  • DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @ lj27... Why is that "lol"???
  • fourmenandalady
    Options
    I wear mine because I don't want to send the wrong signal. Some ppl only come to gym as a social gathering and not to work out so I save them the trouble by keeping my ring on.
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If I plan to run on the treadmill then yes, if I plan to lift weights, I take my rings off.
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    I leave my engagement ring at home. I find that if I'm doing a lot of weight lifting it cuts into my finger a bit :( plus I'm just worried about scratching, damaging, etc.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I wear mine, but hubby takes his off when he's at kung fu. I don't care. I don't think it's a problem. I guess you could wear it around your neck on a chain or something if that many people are hitting on you. Actually, you're probably more likely to be hit on if you wear it on your finger!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I take mine off (I have a ring on each ring finger) especially since my wedding band is so wide. The wedding band really bugs me deadlifting and I don't want it scratched even more than it already has been. I throw them in my bag if I don't take them off at home first.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time but recently we've been working on pull ups and chins ups and it almost cuts me. I take it off while I do my training but wear it all the time during Cardio days.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Where I was born and raised, people don't wear their wedding rings after their wedding day. The rings collect dust somewhere deep in their drawers.

I'm not married yet, but when I get married, I'll skip the rings entirely and save money :)
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important how people act than anything else.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    nope! I actually don't wear it at all anymore since it's 3-4 sizes too big and I'm not done losing weight yet so I don't want to resize it.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I wear my wedding set as well as another ring that's very important to me to the gym. But I do take them off for anything that might damage them. For example, I put some tile in my kitchen last week and took my rings off so they didn't get adhesive or grout in them. I also take them off when I knead bread dough. My hubby didn't wear his ring for a year or so because it didn't fit anymore. Honestly, it bothered me a bit, but not enough to insist he get it re-sized. Taking it off for short periods of time for a specific reason wouldn't bother me at all.

As long as you're wife is ok with you not wearing your ring then I see no problem. Wearing the ring doesn't make you married so taking it off doesn't make you unfaithful. If you want to ward off the inquiries, but protect your ring you could get a cheap ring to wear at the gym that you don't care about. Lots of women with big expensive wedding sets do this when they travel.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Never. Do a Google image search for "wedding ring finger damage" and you'll see some of the things that can happen if your ring gets caught on something with heavy weight attached to it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, I'd take mine off because I didn't want it to get bent. I've never been hit on at a gym though. (Most recently i was working out at the college gym. Maybe my 30-year-old pudgy post-baby set was not worthy of attention from 20 year olds...)