Do you wear you wedding ring to the gym?

Options

Replies

• MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    ... Sometimes, I don't wear it to family functions because I like to hear people whisper about my relationship :bigsmile:

I will now be doing this at the next family gathering, especially if it includes the mother-in-law. Thanks, Skitty.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Nope, my rings come off for the gym. My fingers tend to swell when I get get warmed up so it's easier and more comfortable to leave them off I don't have to worry about being hit on in my gym though since it's at work and pretty much everyone knows I'm married...
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't have a wedding ring, or any rings for that matter from my husband. I've never really thought about what people at the gym might think.. Maybe that's part of why people in the gym look at me like I have 6 heads when the see me getting my THREE small children out of the daycare? haha
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Like most said, if your wife is fine with it...it's fine not to wear one. You love her. You're committed to her. That doesn't immediately disappear (or disappear at all) because you remove a ring for a few hours.

If someone comes up to you and asks...respectfully tell them you're married.

I'd rather take it off for 2 hours instead of losing it forever if it fell off.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My fingers swell when I work out, either cardio or weights. My husband knows I'm faithful, knows he's loved. I have no qualms letting someone know my marital status, so no. The key is why your leave the band at home. If it is because you can get a little flirty than you have deeper issues than wedding ring at the gym.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wear my engagement ring but I don't lift weights so I can't really say. If it was uncomfortable I would probably wear it on my necklace while I was doing that activity.

If your wife isn't bothered by it than do what you want. :drinker:
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Nope, scared I may lose it~ and I would be devastated.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I do on occasion if I'm just in a rush but for the most part I always tuck them in my purse...I never wear them in the shower, swimming, cleaning, sleeping etc etc.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I don't have a wedding ring, or any rings for that matter from my husband. I've never really thought about what people at the gym might think.. Maybe that's part of why people in the gym look at me like I have 6 heads when the see me getting my THREE small children out of the daycare? haha

Or they're someone like me who can't imagine juggling three small children and think you're nuts. LOL!!

I never wear my wedding rings when I'm working out. My husband doesn't always wear his ring when he goes out so I doubt he cares. I just feel bad for those single people who waste their "good" pick up lines on a person who's married. :P
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a sign of unfaithfulness for someone to take it off at the gym or somewhere else it might get damaged or lost. Some days, when my engineer husband has to work on the floor that day, he'll leave it home. But most days, he's behind a computer doing the designing. For me, I don't wear mine for the following:

in the shower
    when sweating or exercising
    when sleeping

I don't want to knock it against something. And once, while visiting Mexico, I left it at home entirely. I didn't want to lose it or have it get stolen.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Both me and my husband don't wear our rings. Haven't for YEARS. We both know were married and that's what matters. I think if it bothers your spouse. You need to reassure her of your committment.
  • BAMA66
    BAMA66 Posts: 240
    Options
    Yea I always wear mine, I just don't think about it
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but if I did, I would wear my ring. I wouldn't have a choice. I can't get it off.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I typically NEVER take off my ring. in the last month or so my ring has gotten so loose that I have to leave it in the car when i work out, otherwise it keeps falling off. I plan to get it re-sized when i hit my goal weight, but thats another 20-30lbs from now.

Additionally, i have the following reasons why that is ok:
    1) my gym is almost all guys
    2) the girls that do go there are typically high school athletes
    3) the ring is just a symbol, fidelity comes from your heart.
    4) i know lots of cheaters (male and female) that are not stopped by a piece of jewelry.
    5) my wife is amazing, and she knows she has my heart.
    6) I get really bothered if I dont wear it. I am proud to be married to her because shes an amazing woman.

Mike
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, I forget to wear it most days. I put it on for a conference I recently went to, and my co-worker says, that's interesting, do you always wear your wedding ring on your right hand, thinking maybe it's because I'm left-handed. My reply: Nope, I just forgot which hand it goes on. I was sort of surprised I made that mistake, but It's just a piece of jewelry! I'm not hiding anything.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've only been married for a month and a half and my hubby never wears his to the gym. It doesn't bother me at all though. I trust him 100% and wouldn't have married him otherwise! I wear mine all the time no matter what but everybody is different!

Edit to mention that I do mostly classes and cardio so the ring doesn't bother me but my hubby is usually lifting heavy weights so his ring would get scuffed up pretty quickly.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My husband takes it off while lifting weights or golfing. He puts it back on afterward. But the most important part is he acts like a married man, therefore jewelry is just a secondary, visual clue he's taken. The first clue is his conduct, which is more important than jewelry.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i dont go to the gym, but hubby, and when i went, always put it on our key chains or around our neck on a necklace
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    i dont go to the gym, but hubby, and when i went, always put it on our key chains or around our neck on a necklace

lol
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Interesting topic.

Your body language, facial expressions, & general "spirit" will tell a person if you're available or not. The ring finger being empty is typically the second green light, not the first.

I often go without my rings. I hate callouses and getting my pretty rocks all grimy. I do have a tatt on my band finger ("agape" in greek) so if ppl really look close, they might assume I'm taken. But generally speaking, if you WANT to get picked up, you won't have a problem getting noticed. If you are happily married, you can be a friendly and respectful person and tell those inquiring that you're not available. NBD.