The QUIT KIDDING YOURSELF thread!

Replies

• Seriously! ...I break a SERIOUS sweat every time I work out. I figure, I hate doing it already, why cheat myself out of getting the results if I am trying to actually work hard. No one wants to work out and not get results...I don't get why people kid themselves like the OP said. It's pointless.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I totally love this thread!

When I first saw my trainer, I felt like I was dying.. and the first time he tried to make me sit down on an aerobic step and then stand back up with a 20 pound plate in my hands, I really thought that he was crazy! Since I only see him twice a month, I like showing him how much I can lift and how far I've pushed myself.. it makes me feel good and look good!

Edited to say:
    I do use a low weight when doing squats, but thats because I do woodchopper squats with a medicine ball... and those really do make my butt hurt and my legs shake.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Yeah, I see these chicks at the gym who ride the bike at a snails pace while reading a mag. Meanwhile others are waiting to use the bikes. I want to walk over there and say, "Take your effing magazine and sit on that bench over there because you a getting about as much done on that bike as you would on the bench."

Or the guy who gets on a bench and does 10 fast reps of a weight probably 25% of of what it should be then acts like he just won the olympics.
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    You guys are awesome!!! Now that's the stuff I like reading!! I believe Ninerbuff and a few others have mentioned it earlier...the human body can handle an incredible amount of stress both physical and mental. Most have now idea what their body is truley capable of nor will they ever realize their true capability. Especially if they're just going thru the motions!
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Sorry, that last bit sounded a touch negative:( The human body is capable of so much but if you don't push yourself and strive to achieve you'll never realize your body's true potential! There, that sounds better!:)
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    OP, that is exactly what I wanted to avoid when I started working out. That's why I had a trainer go with me for my first session to help me come up with a routine, help my form, and determine a good starting weight. Afterwards, I was sweaty and slightly sore. It felt awesome.

I have since increased most of my weights, and seen some real benefit.

If you do it right from the beginning, you don't have to fix it later on!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    very true. I went to the gym for a year with no improvement until I got a PT for 1/2 hour a week. That first session he had to talk my breathing down, I can see my fitness has really improved over the last 3 months! Did my 'working' heartrate calc last night which was also very helpful, so I know when I'm really working hard enough (so managed 800cals in an hour). Red and sweaty doesn't even begin to describe it! :)
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    and this is why I dont use gym equipment!!

I hate the gym not gonna lie its boring, smells, and doing the same thing for a period of time gets on my damn nerves!

So afetr 10 min im bored on the treadmill, bored of the bike and the only thing I really like is the cross trainer!!

Then i found classes which are brill because you dont want to be the young unfit one so you force yourself to keep up and burn like everyone else does.

Completely agree with this post gymming with half the effort is a waste of your time
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    I personally salute anyone who is in the gym rather than on the couch. Of course, it's up to the individual to determine the quality of their own workout!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I thought of this post today when I was on the stairmaster and was about to slow down...I thought "No half-assing it! You know you can go longer!" And I kept at the same pace until sweat was dripping onto the machine...I love and hate the stairs. :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I thought of this post today when I was on the stairmaster and was about to slow down...I thought "No half-assing it! You know you can go longer!" And I kept at the same pace until sweat was dripping onto the machine...I love and hate the stairs. :grumble:
    Yeah, I have love/hate relationship with the stepmill. That's the one where the stairs rotate. Can't really cheat and there are times I want to get off, but buck up, take a deep breath and refocus.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Yeah, I have love/hate relationship with the stepmill. That's the one where the stairs rotate. Can't really cheat and there are times I want to get off, but buck up, take a deep breath and refocus.

LOVE the stepmill... there is no better burn IMO. I make that machine my beeyotch most every day of the week. I did 60 min of intervals on there today! ;)
  • toots99

LOVE the stepmill... there is no better burn IMO. I make that machine my beeyotch most every day of the week. I did 60 min of intervals on there today! ;)

Stepmill/Stairmaster, same thing, different brand name...it's all a good asskicking!
  • ninerbuff

You rock! I do Tabata on it with level 8 and 18! Total gasser!
  • jssw2000
    jssw2000 Posts: 15
    and some of us who are at the gym.. reading on a treadmill or talking with the treadmill next to us might not be there to build huge muscles but just to get in some kind of exercise so maybe I can read my book as I'm on the treadmill ... I don't run, I walk at a fast pace or at whatever pace I can handle that day. However... some exercise is better then no exercise, and even reading and walking I'm sweating by the time I'm out of there. So don't judge everyone you see... some people can't do more and others just don't want to.

It's about what you want out of it and what you get out of it. I burn the calories I want at the gym to make me happy....
  • ninerbuff
    and some of us who are at the gym.. reading on a treadmill or talking with the treadmill next to us might not be there to build huge muscles but just to get in some kind of exercise so maybe I can read my book as I'm on the treadmill ... I don't run, I walk at a fast pace or at whatever pace I can handle that day. However... some exercise is better then no exercise, and even reading and walking I'm sweating by the time I'm out of there. So don't judge everyone you see... some people can't do more and others just don't want to.

It's about what you want out of it and what you get out of it. I burn the calories I want at the gym to make me happy....
    And the point is what? If it works for you, that's great. My point in the thread if you read it was that there are people who may need a reality check if they aren't getting results (you say you're fine with yours) and thinking what they are doing is actually "hard work".
    For people who are getting results with what they're doing, there's no reality check needed.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I use my cross trainer for rest days also :smile: Much prefer to go for a walk outside though!
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Obviously, if folks are chatting and such while working out, they are not giving it 100% of their attention.

That said, I think it is important to remember not to make a snap judgment about others' level. Anyone could be rehabbing from an injury or illness. Whatever level you personally are at, there is always going to be someone who is stronger than you, and someone who is weaker. Just like there is always going to be someone who is richer, and someone who is poorer.

In the pool, I often have to remind myself of this. There are folks just chilling there. But I don't know them, and maybe they are recovering from a broken back or something and that is exactly what their doc wants them to do.

At the weight rack, I'm the opposite. I'm the one doing overhead presses with 5s. I'm working to the point of failure with the 5s, and I'm not even able to finish all my reps. I find the 5s a little humiliating personally, and want nothing more than to get to higher weights, but these are my strength level right now.
  • ninerbuff
    Obviously, if folks are chatting and such while working out, they are not giving it 100% of their attention.

That said, I think it is important to remember not to make a snap judgment about others' level. Anyone could be rehabbing from an injury or illness. Whatever level you personally are at, there is always going to be someone who is stronger than you, and someone who is weaker. Just like there is always going to be someone who is richer, and someone who is poorer.

In the pool, I often have to remind myself of this. There are folks just chilling there. But I don't know them, and maybe they are recovering from a broken back or something and that is exactly what their doc wants them to do.

At the weight rack, I'm the opposite. I'm the one doing overhead presses with 5s. I'm working to the point of failure with the 5s, and I'm not even able to finish all my reps. I find the 5s a little humiliating personally, and want nothing more than to get to higher weights, but these are my strength level right now.
    While true that there are going to be people working out at the gym who may be rehabbing or coming back from a debilitating injury, stats show that most members are doing their own programs and when polled for their perspective of effectiveness for trying to attain their goal, the majority believe that what they are doing is completely right, but would like INPUT on how they can improve it. Problem is most don't ask.
    I think here on the forums, they are asking since it's much easier to be anonymous. Since that's the case, I think it's also appropriate to let people know that there's a lot of misconception on how exercise really works and actually level of intensity.
    Again if what they're doing is working for them and they're getting results, more power to them, but there are many who aren't doing it right with the mindset that they are and are expecting results.
  • toots99
    People, he's not knocking people who are working out, he's knocking people who think they're kicking *kitten* when they're really just half assing it...therefore, kidding themselves. He hasn't said one derogatory thing about people who might need to go slower due to injury or weight issues.

:smile:
This discussion has been closed.