The QUIT KIDDING YOURSELF thread!

Options

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I posted on my feed yesterday, and you probably saw it, about a hanger-on I had. She goes to the gym and gets on the treadmill, and expects to be able to talk and gossip with me. I told her I was there to work out and she got butt hurt.
    I saw girls in full makeup and jewelry and matching tops giggle on the treadmills....all the while giving me dirty looks cuz I was killing it.

Yeah I don't know why these people complain about no results when they won't do anything else.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    All I can say look at the sweat in my profile pic... as for chatting When me and the Mrs go running we do chat at the start, but it soon stops as the concentration kicks in...along with the fact of breathing too.

If your not sweating, it can't be working as well as it could be, and a gym is a place to work out, should you want to socailse go to a bar.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I read the OP the first thing I thought of was the "fat burning zone" on all those cardio machines and the pour souls slowly trudging along on treadmills thinking that they're getting a workout (yes it's better than sitting on your butt doing nothing but..........what's worse is that there's a legion of misguided/misinformed PTs propagating this myth)
  • emmygrace2012
    emmygrace2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants results. Few want to work for them!
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OK, well I just started trying to lift and I was told to start light... what weight should I use because 5 lb to 7lb is what I am using.. I have lost 55 lbs doing cardio (most of that before I joined MFP) but it has stalled... so if you are saying that is not effort although it is hard as hell for me to do, what weight do I start with?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I agree that being able to laugh and carry on while you are working out is kinda week, but when women start out after not doing anything for a long time, 5-8 dumbells are all we can do at first. Now, granted, I'm up to 12's (lighter for shoulders because I have weak shoulders that I'm working on). I've always felt that form was better than heavy weight. If I can do a 8 full squats with 20 pounds total in my hands, or 8 1/2 squats with 40, I'm gonna go with the first scenario. I do all of my weight training at home, don't lift heavy, but I max out around 10 reps. I have great form and control. I'm good with it. And I'm seeing results.
    Starting out lighter is fine. These 2 were consistent members whom I saw on a daily basis. To say that they were "good" with their lifting showed that they actually define it much differently than those who are getting results with much higher effort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I posted on my feed yesterday, and you probably saw it, about a hanger-on I had. She goes to the gym and gets on the treadmill, and expects to be able to talk and gossip with me. I told her I was there to work out and she got butt hurt.
    I saw girls in full makeup and jewelry and matching tops giggle on the treadmills....all the while giving me dirty looks cuz I was killing it.

Yeah I don't know why these people complain about no results when they won't do anything else.
    People confuse "effort" with results all the time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When I read the OP the first thing I thought of was the "fat burning zone" on all those cardio machines and the pour souls slowly trudging along on treadmills thinking that they're getting a workout (yes it's better than sitting on your butt doing nothing but..........what's worse is that there's a legion of misguided/misinformed PTs propagating this myth)
    Yep. I'll never throw them under the bus in front of a client, but if a PT where I work stated that and I over heard it, I'd have a private conversation on why they actually believe it. I don't think any of my peers here do (since most of them pretty much work their clients out pretty hard), but I'll agree with you on the legion that do pass that info on.

IDEA Fitness member
  • writinwater
    Options
    I laugh at the gym all the time... But it's a gasping, choked sort of chuckle at myself as I'm getting my *kitten* shredded by a trainer! ;)
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    PREACH IT!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    OK, well I just started trying to lift and I was told to start light... what weight should I use because 5 lb to 7lb is what I am using.. I have lost 55 lbs doing cardio (most of that before I joined MFP) but it has stalled... so if you are saying that is not effort although it is hard as hell for me to do, what weight do I start with?
    You start light to acclimate to the movements, learn the form and not get too sore so you don't get discouraged to do it. Now what ever exercise you're doing, you use a weight resistance that allow 8 reps max with good form for any given exercise. You should be able to do more with legs and back compared with arms.
    Also really think about the weight. Curling 10lbs total for some is CONSIDERED hard, but carrying around a 20lbs baby is much easier to do all day?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I laugh at the gym all the time... But it's a gasping, choked sort of chuckle at myself as I'm getting my *kitten* shredded by a trainer! ;)
    That's the laugh of pain! I get it all the time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    People go through all sorts of illusions when trying to change themselves. But I understand the 'fake it til ya make it' concept.

From being a therapist for awhile, I noticed how people rumble and grumble a lot before they actually change... like an earthquake that is getting ready to do something- it might take years or lifetimes, but eventually a change will happen that counts. Meanwhile, those in the helping professions (trainers, therapists, health care professionals) are asked to listen to the rumblings while the person gets ready to do it. Very frustrating when we are ready for them to be healthy now. I know.

BTW-Men do this too- like doing 'elbow bends' instead of actual push ups.

My advice? How can you really help?
    Adopt a phrase you use repeatedly with the person- (repetition is remembered) "you are cheating yourself"
    be compassionate and honest- tell the truth without blame or judgement. "you are not doing much working out here"
    Patience
    Realize you cannot help everyone.
    Respect another person's right to live their life the way they choose.
    Set clear boundaries for your own health and well being. (Sort of like triage- help the ones you can, leave the others behind)

Good luck.
    :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Everyone wants results. Few want to work for them!
    Which is probably why many quit. A lot of overweight people think that we are just "born" this way and don't have the stresses and issues they have.
    Hate to tell them that "lean" people have stresses and issues too. We just tend to deal with them differently. For me I deal with crazy stress by kickboxing on a bag for 30 minutes. For others it's spin or running.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People go through all sorts of illusions when trying to change themselves. But I understand the 'fake it til ya make it' concept.

From being a therapist for awhile, I noticed how people rumble and grumble a lot before they actually change... like an earthquake that is getting ready to do something- it might take years or lifetimes, but eventually a change will happen that counts. Meanwhile, those in the helping professions (trainers, therapists, health care professionals) are asked to listen to the rumblings while the person gets ready to do it. Very frustrating when we are ready for them to be healthy now. I know.

My advice? How can you really help?
    Adopt a phrase you use repeatedly with the person- (repetition is remembered) "you are cheating yourself"
    be compassionate and honest- tell the truth without blame or judgement. "you are not doing much working out here"
    Patience
    Respect another person's right to live their life the way they choose.
    Set clear boundaries for your own health and well being. (Sort of like triage- help the ones you can, leave the others behind)

Good luck.
    :happy:
    I use all the techniques you mention. Thanks for letting others see it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have recently found my love of working out... no gym yet, I'm intimidated, and I dont have the fnances for it ATM. But I have a small group of moms who saw my success (25 pounds lost) and wanted to hop on the band-wagon with me, I am so proud of them for trying, but I feel like they are holding me back, 3 miles in 50 minutes??? Thats not even trying! Or "kickboxing" (some cheap generic video), I'm the only one red, panting and drenched with sweat... and you know what? They pick on ME.. saying Im doing extra jumping around and I'm "too GUNG-HO" Cheating themselves... oh boy, yes they are.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    very true.. i like to think 'if it doesnt challenge you, it wont change you'.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    well, than my gasping for breath, gritting my teeth and sweating from head to toe.. must be a good thing.
    i have NO desire to carry on a conversation while exercising.
    im alway trying to up my weights..
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    this was a good smack in the face and also confirmation on what i was telling myself last night. yesterday i had a good workout and realized i need to up my intensity if i want to see the results i expect.

thanks for this post.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I love it when a couple wanna-be guys come in and slap on 2 plates on each side and then never let the bar touch their chest when they bench. Or they'll do squats and not even go parallel when I'm going down low enough to sit on my calves.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    I just use it for motivation to ensure I'm working out correctly. I don't want to be them.