You Brits are so funny

Options

Replies

• SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    I have to say, as a Texan, I find all the "learnt" and "whilst" talk on here to be exceptionally quaint and charming. And as a woman, I must say, you haven't really lived until you've been called "beautiful" in British. Talk about making a girl blush ...

Sometimes I say "whilst" just because I'm a big fan of that word, and all the Philistines around here tell me I made it up.

I like some English accents. I could listen to Paul McGann's voice any day.
    I agree it's charming when an Englishman calls a woman "beautiful" or "love" until you realize they say that to all women. :cry:
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    The IT Crowd
    The Inbetweeners
    The Office
    Top Gear
    good shows all
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Now the Irish- wow- had one Irish friend and Iiterally had no clue what he was talking about. The closest I can come to comparing it to someone in the states was the time I was in Louisiana and tried to understand a Cajun. I had no clue.

Hey! I'm half- Irish, born & raised in cajun country, married to a said cajun, & lemme tell ya sha, I dunno whats you talkin bout, no!

Thats how we speak in nottingham.

my ex used to speak like that and he was from Cotgrave!

Now I'm based in London I seem to be adopting some Dagenham talk.. O'rite trecul (alright treacle..) and paaaaand (pound) seem to pop up a lot..
    to say I can barely understand or distinguish various British accents I love the american way of talking but my favourite accent is from New Zealand.. kinda like a relaxed aussie accent but slightly sexier :D

New Zealand & South African... OMG! Makes me melt!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    But their teeth.

Um hai, we have an NHS which means our kids/poor people get free dental care, therefore actually manage to have better teeth than in countries where you have to be rich to afford medical stuff....like that country...ummm...America?

I've wondered who started all this nonsense about Brittish having bad teeth. I'm going to guess the ratio to good vs bad teeth is about the same in the US.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is from Manchester, his accent makes me weak! :blushing:
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This thread has been quite entertaining! :laugh: I'm a New Yorker married to an Essex boy.

Essex, England Essex?? Oh my goodness, now there's a mix!!

Where do you guys live, here or there??
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    This whole thread made me giggle! I'm a Canadian liviing in England for the last 8 years...and I still say they are the ones with the accent. Funny things accents...I never get asked if I am Canadian (or American)...I get asked if I'm Irish! Think I've gotten muddled over the years. And my husband is from a French West African country (I figure out kids will the strangest sounds accents!)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That is such a condescending thing to say.

To the OP, I'm willing to bet that you have a "funny" accent too!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OOORRR WELL FANK YOU ...NOW wheres my traor?? i left it ere somewhere....lol:drinker: i will hav a nice bit of scrumpy first tho...:blushing:

to all you americans.... that was one thanks you very much! :laugh:

WE LOVE you all too xxx
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The IT Crowd
    The Inbetweeners
    The Office
    Top Gear
    good shows all

I love me some Eddie Izzard!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are fans of saying "OMG you have an accent. Keep talking!" I love British accents and the island ones. I don't even care what they are saying. Just talk. :love:
  • leigh33ca
    leigh33ca Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I do so love a good Brit accent, as well as a Scot's, Irish and OMG an Aussie! Oi!! lol I could listen to any of them all day. Whether I understand everything being said is moot.

Lately I have been watching Sea Patrol on the telly. Its set in Australia and I think its an interesting show. Use to watch Are You Being Served and loved it! Took me a few minutes to figure some saying out but than I would howl.

I am Canadian and even here in Canada we all speak abit different. I was out to the East coast and they had more of a not really sure how to describe it. Celtic? The west coast to me is more British...with their sayings and such. I'm in Ontario and have been called an American (I live in a border town) more times than I care to remember.

We say they have an accent and they say we have one. And yes we do have indoor plumbing and an awesome health care plan!:happy: Oh we do have dental care as well.

Well cheerio! Good day mate! Choi!
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This thread has been quite entertaining! :laugh: I'm a New Yorker married to an Essex boy.

Essex, England Essex?? Oh my goodness, now there's a mix!!

Where do you guys live, here or there??

Yes, England Essex. Near Chelmsford. We live in the states because at the time we made the decision the cost of living here was MUCH lower. :)
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Haha, the idea of a "British" accent is so funny! Listen to someone from Northern Ireland, a Geordie, a Brummie, a Scouser, a Scot, a Welshman, a Cockney and someone with a stereotypical "posh" accent and then tell me what a British accent sounds like :D

I never realised the words "whilst" and "learnt" were funny to Americans though! They're just everyday words over here... What's odd about them?
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was born in Wales but my dad's from Derby and my mum's is from Hull!
    I've lived in Wales all my life but grew up with a mixture of a S.Welsh accent and an accent from 'up North'.

My school friends with strong welsh accents thought I sounded more English than Welsh.
    Now Ive grown older and naturally widened my social network with mainly Welsh people my accent has definitely become more welshy.
    Now and again I come out with a word that I learnt from my mum like "wan't" instead of the welsh wasn't. I just pronounce in one syllable rather than two. :) It's getting less frequent the older I get but I gotta say I love my mum's accent and wish I'd been able to keep some of it. :)

I like to talk about differences in accents or ways of speaking between countries.
    I spoke to an Irish lad while on a night out once and I couldn't understand a word he said. It wasn't helping that it was a nightclub and he was probably very drunk. At one point he said something to me and I had to get him to repeat himself about 4 times trying to blame the loud noise even though he was talking right in my ear.
    I realised on the 4th time that he said "CAN I KISS YOU" and had to instantly back away and say "umm no sorry I have a boyfriend!" really embarrassed in case I had embarrassed him asking him to repeat himself until he got shot down. :s
    *cringe*

His friend however (was a girl) and I could understand everything she said. Her accent was less.... irish, however I'm sure they said they were from the same place...
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    I was visiting a pub in England once, and saw a sign that said "English spoken here. American understood." Classic! :D

Can one of you Brits help me out? For the life of me, I can't figure out what foods qualify as a pudding in Britain? I thought I had a handle on it, but recently, one of my MFP friends said she ate a pudding made of ice cream. It sounded like what we call a sundae. I know you also have meat-based puddings.

In the U.S., a pudding only refers to a custard-like substance made with milk.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I love the British humor (humour) as well as their slang.
    Then again i enjoy learning about different cultures & languages anyway =)
    but i have to apologize a bit... i prefer the aussie accent to the british accent. :heart:
    Even though an aussie friend of mine told me awhile back that they DONT HAVE accents, we yankees do LOL
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are saying they like British accents & Scottish accents. Scotland is part of Britain. Its the same thing!!!!

I get told that I have a brummie accent, although I have never lived in Birmingham. My "accent" is so bad that people in Liverpool can not understand me!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    you guys are talking of the "FILM" James bond type accent.................

Dont ever go to

Liverpool
    Hull
    Birmingham
    Newcastle

all have GREAT accents that you will not understand in any way, shape or form !

it will shatter all your illusions of what you loving think of as being a sexy British Accent.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Generally a pudding is anything eaten as the sweet course at the end of a meal. Some people call it dessert and some might call it "sweet" or "afters", though generally pudding or dessert are more common:) So, for example, you might have an ice cream sundae for pudding.