Moms over 40.....

Options
JeSuisPrest
JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
Please share your success stories. I'm 43 yrs old, am down 10 lbs, excercising like I never have before. Been on and off this wagon since April. Since having children,( my oldest is 17, middle one 14 and my baby is about to turn 10!) ,I have been overweight. And finally for the first time since then, I am serious about getting myself back into shape. A little late, for sure, but working at it. Please tell me how you did it!!

Replies

• WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, just learning how to do this. I think it just takes a lot of perseverance and putting yourself first for a change to make sure you take the time to eat right and exercise. Friend me if you like. We need lots of Mom support on this journey. :flowerforyou:
  • traceysturn
    Options
    I'm 41...not a Mom but just had to say IT'S NEVER TOO LATE! Much luck to you:wink:
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I was 46 when I started and lost 54 lbs initially (some said too much and that I looked anorexic) and have gained 12 back but still work at and have had people say that I look a lot better at this weight. I REFUSE to gain it all back and I'm still under my PA's weight goal for me. I feel a TON better and have learned to love to exercise. Good luck!
  • Bourds
    Bourds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am 42 years old, my "Baby" is now 25 and I am finally getting the baby weight off (lol). I started my weight loss in February of this year and am down 93 pounds. I count calories and keep it under 1000 daily along with exercise daily. I feel great and defintely eat so much healthier now. I eat alot of chicken, soup, salads, apples and Bagel thin sandwiches. All I can say is it is working for me.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well,
    i'm not over 40 but I am 37 and i have two of my own one is 13 one is 9. started this journey last November at 216lbs i have gotten down as low as 175 but then back to 183 after vacation, i am determined to stick to my new lifestyle and make this is permanent me..
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    How often do you ladies weigh in? I'm seeing a difference, my husband sees a difference and now friends are beginning to notice. I just so badly want to see that scale move down again. :blushing:
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My oldest is 28 and youngest 13...I've struggled with my weight since having my first child. I've been on MFP on and off for about a year (surgeries put my weight loss on hold) But I'm back to counting everything I eat and exercising. I was walking 3 miles and now I'm interval training (running for 5 minutes, walking for 1 minute). The weight is coming off, at a relatively steady pace, not as quickly as I want (of course LOL). I fail sometimes at being below my calories because of a special event, or not exercising cause I'm exhausted from work. This is my journey to a healthier body, I will get there as long as I don't give up. But the most important advice I can give you count your calories, move more and if you mess up...forgive yourself and move on.

If you are looking for some friends, feel free to add me.

Good luck!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and the mother of a 14 year old and a 12 year old. I started this "forever change" when I was 39 ... and I'm currently down 115 lbs and from a size 24 to a 4 (as of last weekend! Yay!). It is never too late. Go slow and be consistent when it comes to both altering your diet and planning your exercise routine(s). It will work. I'm proof :)
  • rdvincent
    Options
    Hi Alicia
    I'm 47, my babies are 26,24,22,7 and 3 my 24 year old got married this past nov, that started my weight loss journey, so I would look decent in my dress, now my oldest is getting married in Oct, so I set a new goal.I have found that exercise is so important so I do wii active, then some sit ups ect... I also try to get out for walks, this is for both exercise and just getting time for myself.
    I weigh in once a week, but let me say, it's not only about the number on the scale( JAN - Just Another Number), you ae making a change to be healthier on the inside, just keep that in mind on those weeks when the number doesn't seem to be going anywhere!
    good luck!!
  • michelle2808
    Options
    I'm 39yr and I have 4 kids (20yr, 16yr, 13yr, 10yr) II lost the weight with the first 2 very fast, but I was younger. My 3rd took me about 6 months to lose it. Since my 4th 10yrs ago, I've been up and down. But this year I made a choice to make "me" time to make myself feel better. I'm a single mom ( now) so balancing it all can be hard. I'm determined this time, I'm not giving up! I want to look FAB by my 40th bday, I'll be flaunting a tiny bikini by then :)

Good luck with your journey!
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm also 43, but my children are 3 and 5. I started on MFP at the very end of April, and have lost 25 pounds (as of yesterday). Tracking what I eat, using MFP, has been the key to it for me. The first day that I did it, it was a real eye opener. Even healthy things had more calories in them than I had (wrongly) assumed. I have been getting my cardio mainly from the elliptical trainer (thankfully, I have one at home, so I am not trying to fit in a trip to the gym, but this week I started 30 Day Shred and will add elliptical back in periodically. I get that done before my kids wake up in the morning. I do weekly weigh-ins. My husband isn't doing the program with me, but he's been fantastically supportive - and that really helps. Best of luck to you!
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    I'm 47, 4 sons ages 2, 16, 18, 20 .... I am living proof that you don't have to sit back and get obese or unhealthy because of your age. Infact, I have more energy and am in better shape then all of my other years and I'm only going to get better. People ask me what I am doing for my energy and how I look my age and then I let them in on my secret weapon.... exercise and the healthiest meal of my day.

The key factor to getting in the best shape after 40 is adding muscle resistance into your workouts. As we age we lose muscle mass which then slows down our metabolism which then adds on that extra weight... you can't just use the excuse ...oh i'm too old!!!

Feel free to friend me any of you as I love new like minded friends and I love helping others.. Colleen (Seattle)

GREAT POST IDEA!! I also leave motivational thoughts on my page daily...to keep you FOCUSED! ;0)
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well I started here end of March and was turning 40 in May. So I have lost 24 pounds since starting. It took me a few weeks to learn how to eat better and not just less junk.... granted I STILL do eat fast food etc, just heathier choices and smaller portions.
    I just started C25K this week, so that will be my exercise for the most part.. will throw in some sit-ups and weights for arms on the side.
    But to this point, it has mostly just been moving more, some walking, and some 20 min dance workout videos.

I can't even believe I have come this far.

Everyone is welcome to friend me if you like so we can support eachother!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am 42 with 2 daughters age 15 and 11. My journey started back in March when I went to a new doctor suggessted by a friend. I knew I had PCOS..but I was also diagonsed with IR and hypothyroidism. I started taking Metformin and Armour Thyroid..The first 13 pounds just melted off.

In May..I went back to the doc..she said I needed a nutritionins. Early June..went to one..and she taught me how to eat..its weird that its something so simple..but maybe not so simple for me..

Since then..for the most part I stay within my calorie goal for the day..I work out 5-6 times a week..So far the scale says I am down 25 pounds.

Today I was diagnosed with Adrenal fatigue..so more meds for that..but it wont stop the remaining 15 pounds from coming off. I think there are times when we do so much for our kids..and forget about ourselves..but eventually we realize as Mom's..when we eat right and exercise..it does wonders for our children..setting that example..
  • Purplefly
    Options
    Please share your success stories. I'm 43 yrs old, am down 10 lbs, excercising like I never have before. Been on and off this wagon since April. Since having children,( my oldest is 17, middle one 14 and my baby is about to turn 10!) ,I have been overweight. And finally for the first time since then, I am serious about getting myself back into shape. A little late, for sure, but working at it. Please tell me how you did it!!

I'm 41 (almost 42) and have 3 children also 17, 14 and 12 almost the same ages as yours :smile: . My weight gain started after my first and just kept progressing with each child =/ Joined MFP almost 3 months ago, been eating much better, excercising and have lost about a pound each week on average. I keep hoping for a big loss week but it hasn't happened yet. I drink lots of water and try to stay positive. It's never to late to take care of yourself! You can do this.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and have a 2-year-old daughter. When she was about a year and a half old, I decided it was time to work on losing the "baby belly" and the extra 10+ pounds I had been carrying. I started the Flat Belly Diet at the end of February, and have been doing a modified version of it (along with MFP) ever since. I'm down 17 pounds total, 14 of which I have lost since February. I also do workout DVDs: Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and 6-Week Six-Pack (I don't belong to a gym).

Good luck, you can do it!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Ladies....I am overwhelmed by your responses! Thank you! You've know idea how much better I feel. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, and I am also aware it will take quite some time. Even though my ultimate goal is to thinner by 45, I found myself feeling frustrated and on the verge of giving up. I started C25K beginning of the summer (mostly because my teenaged sons are on the cross country team) and am pleased to see others of you are doing it too. Let's keep supporting each other! :flowerforyou:
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am 47 and my babies are 21, 18, 14... I decdided to take this weight loss journey because -IT'S TIME TO START DATING AGAIN! My two older kids are off to college and I have a little more time on my hands... my ex and I never did do the whole every other weekend thing... it's been just me the since we divorced 6 years ago.

I have lost 50 lbs in a year... I started losing before joining MFP... I run 5-6 days a week and have recently added swimming an hour a couple times a week! I started off just walking, then walking really fast - so fast my legs were hurting - so started running... and haven't looked back. Since logging my runs in March, I have ran over 350 miles and burned over 50,000 calories!

IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN TOO! I am in better shape than I was in my late 20's and 30's. I can wear my daughter's clothes - and bathing suit!!!!

I'd like to lose another 15 lbs... people also tell me that I have lost enough... from size 16 to a size 10 now... but I feel like another 15 would be great...

Friend me too!

L.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Way to go, Momtozmc!! I love hearing these stories! That is the kind of inspiration I needed to hear!
  • jam1166
    jam1166 Posts: 30
    Options
    Great topic! I am 44 years old (still finding that hard to believe) and have two sons age 21 and 7. I don't have much to add, but I really appreciate all the posts. It's nice to see such success! I'm just getting back on track after messing up during a very stressful July. Thanks for the motivation!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!