Moms over 40.....

Options

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    oops I just noticed this was a thread I already responded to....
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I'm a mom to 4. Ages 23, 20, 10 and 9 years old. I joined MFP on January 11, 2011 and have lost a whopping 94 lbs. so far. Here is a before and current picture. I am looking to lose between 30 to 40 more pounds to reach goal.

FatPicture2.jpg

014.jpg
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Wooohoooo...you look great and you joined on my birthday!! ;)
  • 1shep1
    1shep1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been reading all of these posts and we're all quite similar. I turn 40 in January 2012 so I am looking to hit the big 40 in style. I have 3 girls (18, 14 & 11) and my hubby turns 40 this December. Needless to say he doesn't have this desire to shed the pounds like I do. I started going to my local YMCA this past March with a friend who has been a lifesaver for me. Much easier when you are committed to someone else. I want to lose a total of 82 lbs and I have 56 left to go. So good luck to all of you skinny minnies ;)
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Try becoming a grandmother at 40! I had my youngest daughter at 39... My twins are 20 and one had a baby exactly 1 year after my youngest was born... NO WAY I was gonna be an old out of shape mom and grandma!
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am 42, mother of 2. Oldest is 12 and youngest is 8. I have been blaming my kids for my big tummy, but my daughter, the 12 year old started saying that I can't be blaming them anymore.....so I stopped and decided to do something about it!!
  • workingtobethin
    workingtobethin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I just turned 40 and a mother of 3 ( 18, 13, 2) .. I have a long hard journey ahead but I will succed!!! I love coming on here and reading all the help and support everyone gives each other.. It's good to know you are not alone in this fight !!!! I would like to add friends if anyone is interested. I could use all the help I can get. Thanks
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Dawny....make sure you eating enough calories. Shape Magazine recommends women eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day and eat back your exercise calories, that is if you aren't already doing so! Feel free to add me as a friend!

Even women past menopause? I never see them differentiate. And in my own experience things that used to work don't. But now I'm plateauing and so frustrated...but scared.

Can you tell me what type of food you eat?

Thanks.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi . I'm 42, I'm a working mum in the UK. I have two sons and a stepson. I started trying to eat better and get fitter in June of this year. I started by changing my diet, eating healthily and logging everything. I used exercised DVDs in the house at first. In July I started the C25K program and never looked back. A few weeks ago i joined a gym and now I do running, exercise in the gym, walking at work at lunchtime, stationary cycling at home and the odd exercise dvd. I have lost over 30lbs and am feeling great. I am only halfway to my goal but it is the best thing I ever did for both myself and my family! Good luck to you!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi I just noticed this thread. Great to hear from other mothers.

I'm 46 about to turn 47 and the mother of a 13 year old daughter.

I started weight watchers at the age of 16 and from there it has been a lifelong challenge at trying to lose and maintain weight.

I have hypothyroidism and I'm getting close to peri-menopause and notice that it is more challenging to try and lose weight.

In the past few years my weight has been going up up up and I'm not willing to accept it. My weight peeked at an all time high of 154 lbs, I'm 5'2" and I knew I needed to step up and do something about it. I run, spin, do yoga and have tried many different types of workouts. It's become a way of life.

I am fortunate to have a partner that is very health conscious. He is very supportive of my effort to attain a healthy body image and provide a good healthy home environment for my daughter.

Feel free to add me.

Karen
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Dawny....make sure you eating enough calories. Shape Magazine recommends women eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day and eat back your exercise calories, that is if you aren't already doing so! Feel free to add me as a friend!

Even women past menopause? I never see them differentiate. And in my own experience things that used to work don't. But now I'm plateauing and so frustrated...but scared.

Thanks.

Not sure who you are asking, but my diary is open to be viewed. The advice by Shape Magazine is a bit broad, not sure what they consider average, I'm sure I don't fit into the average either, I'm only 5'2" and am 43 yrs old, but I've been eating about 1500 calories and it's seems to be working for me. But feel free to look at my diary!
  • lyyzza
    lyyzza Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... I've been looking for others in their 40's... just stumbled onto this. Awesome, will be back tonight.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and mom to a 14 year old boy and 12 year old twins. My highest weight was at 160 two years ago, this days the scale flirts with 142, I just fit into my high school prom dress, I went from a size 14 to a size 8-10. I want to get bikini ready. My problem areas are my bust, arms and stomach.

I just started 30 Day shred and am looking forward to looking good in a bikini! :tongue:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I have found that keeping my carbs at or below 35% is the only way I can lose any weight. The default that MFP is set at is way too high for me, 55% carbs.
  • hkgn
    hkgn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP and searched "over 40 mom" and found all of you! I'd love to have friends and support along my journey.
    I lost 15 pounds on my own over the first six months of the year, but then over the summer I had to welcome some back. Now I want to lose another 15 (or so, the feeling/look is important more than the number). And I know that it gets harder the less you have to lose.

One wrinkle I haven't seen mentioned in the thread is nursing. Is anyone else nursing a toddler at our "advanced maternal age?" I know it's not many calories at this point (maybe once/twice a day) but it does seem like little things make a difference.

One revelation to me has been running. I never dreamed I could pick up something like running in my 40s (with what I thought were bad knees but was probably just extra weight). I aim for HIT (although steady state is easier!), and will run a 5K in mid-October. I also do circuit training and I actually feel more energetic than throughout my 30s.

What I need to concentrate on now is eating less and tweaking my ratios. All while feeding a busy family with food around me all the time!

Thanks for your inspirational stories and tips. I look forward to following this thread and your successes!
    Ciao a tutti,
    --Holly
    kids aged 8, 7, 4, 3
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Holly so glad you found this thread and thanks for adding me as a friend! I started the c25k program back in June, I have never been a runner and it has taken me until now to jog for 5 minutes, but I am getting there and slowly progressing!! Welcome to MFP!!!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am 40. I have 3 kids; ages 16, 14 & 10. I topped off this year at 144. It was just too much for me and I became really depressed about it. I was discouraged because of my age that it would be very difficult for me to lose the weight. I have exercised on & off as long as I can remember but my eating habits fluctuate. Some time in March, I began counting my calories. I have never ever done this before. I didn't realize how the smallest foods or toppings of this & that add up so quickly. I am now around 127. I exercise less, the balance between work, kids and yes, i must have a social life just doesn't allow me fit it all in some weeks. Sometimes it gets annoying to watch others eat whatever but I am afraid to go back to 144. I felt horribly uncomfortable & now I feel good. I have learned to shave off uneseccary calories, like cream in my coffee which was roughly about 40 calories doesn't seem like a lot but when you add it up at the end of the day it makes a difference. Here lately, I have been slacking off on my eating habits not being very healthy but I jump on & off. Eating healthy is a committment & some days I just don't have the time to invest in it but I keep moving forward. All I know, as I said, I don't want to return to the days of spilling over my pants, tugging at my tops, pulling low rise jeans up to cover the pudge.... No thanks, not for me.

Good luck!!
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am 42. My kids are 7 and 9. Struggling to lose 6 ish lbs to get down to 150. I am 5'9'' and when I got on anti thyroid meds promptly gained 10 lbs that are crazy sticky. They don't want to leave! I am pretty sporty -- I swim, bike and run (slowly, but consistently) and occasionally lift or do yoga.
  • mamasamantha79
    mamasamantha79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 52. My youngest is 16. I have lost 59 pounds so far and am embarking on an exercise program as much as I can. I had two major surgeries this year, so walking has been a challenge. :-) But, I am determined to go the rest of the way and make this a life-long change. I am already a normal weight in my heart. I just have to get my body to catch up. I started out morbidly obese. My first goal now is to be out of the obese category completely. :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!