Moms over 40.....

Options

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I will be 41 next month. I have 2 kiddos son is almost 16 and a daughter who will turn 13 this month. I have always had periods of when I eat and exercise and then I stop and start again. My pregnancy weight came off fairly easily. It wasn't until my early 30's when my weight started getting higher. I lost somw gained it back+ some three times!!! I am finally down to about my weight when I gave birth!!! Scary!

Anyway, I have been doing pretty good and really have come to terms with the fact that exercise is NOT an option. I have to at lest 4-5 days a week. Plus I feel better when I do.

I try and keep the processed stuff to a minimal and eat more veggies!
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am 46 have 3 college aged daughters and have been on MFP since early June. At the beginning of this year I picked up my tennis racket and started playing again. I quickly realized being overweight was not helping my game, in more ways than one :) I love reading blogs and read about someone's success on MFP and clicked on over. Let's just say, I have not left! I am operating without a thyroid which is a bit tricky. I am on synthroid and it has taken a while to get my dosage correct. Too high and I shed weight, but feel like I am having a heart attack. Too low and I can't get off the couch and my head goes fuzzy. Needless to say, no fun. I am loving exercising daily. In fact can't get enough these days. I am a teacher on summer vacation and just want to make the most of my time off while I have it. I think the BEST part of MFP is the support from others-necessary and priceless. Let's all stay on the path of our new lifestyle!
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am a 40 year old mom of 2 boys, ages 8 and 11. I have reached my goal of losing 40lbs and just recently started maintenance. I don't really have any brilliant ideas as to how I lost the weight. Just 2 main things, counting calories and exercise. And patience. I
    Good luck with your journey, you'll do great!:smile:

DSCF0188-2-2.jpg
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Mom here! Almost 45 ... I've got about 4 more days of being 44! I have 6 of the best kids in the world. 25,20,17,13,10,6 and a wonderful grandson!
    I posted pics in the success section. I weight twice a week, and it took me looking at pictures for me to see the difference.
    Surround yourself with positive people, If you cheat get right back on track, remember it is not a race, please remember that you are a woman, and one day you will weigh one amount and 8hrs later a totally different number. JUST DON'T STOP or GIVE UP!

I can totally relate to this..."one day you'll weigh one amount 8hours later a totally different number." I was so excited yesterday and got on the scale and saw a number I haven't seen for awhile....I get on this morning and.....I was up 6 pounds!!!! Grrrr!!! Seriously???
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Love all the responses. Thank you for the encouragement. I am plugging on although I am beginning to feel discouraged on top of being frustrated. But I will keep going!!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So happy to have found this thread.

I'm 45 and a mom to 2 sons - 14 and 12 - who keep me busy. I'm also a teacher who is very happy to be enjoying a summer at home. I began really taking care of myself in January and although I lost pretty steadily until May, my losses have slowed down considerably since then. July, in particular, was a write off for me since a death in the family, an anniversary trip to St. Lucia and, well, life got in the way. I became deterred I think because the weight wasn't coming as quickly. However, since Friday, I am back to my pre-July weight and I'm determined to lose at least another 5 pds before school starts after Labour Day.

I'm glad to see so many other moms our age taking time for ourselves. We need to really since we have to be healthy for ourselves and for our families. But, mostly, we owe it to ourselves to be the best we can be.

I'm always looking for friends with similar interests. I try to be supportive and appreciate support in return. In the meantime, I'm going to keep checking on this thread since it's so nice to "meet" like-minded moms trying to get healthy.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of two teenage boys...I'm 41 years old. You can visit my blog here: http://www.transformingabetterme.blogspot.com There you'll find progress pictures and links to some great health and fitness topics. I've lost all of my weight with MFP and still have more to go, but I'm just a tiny bit shy of my 1/2 way point. You CAN do this...it's worth every second of the journey...remember, it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary one. You'll be so happy with the new YOU!
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Hi...I am 55 and have 3 'children'...from 31-35.. I am 5'2"..started @ 204lbs..and am down 58 pounds! It TRULY is a Lifestyle change...& one that will bring you TRUE HAPPINESS & Self Awareness.... Best of luck & Wishes on your journey..
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am 42 with a 13 year old and a 2 year old. I didn't gain much weight with my 2 year old (only 18#) because I had insulin dependent gestational diabetes and had to watch my carbs closely. Unfortunately, I lost the 18# before I left the hospital, but the scale never budged since then and I was considered overweight and nearing obese. I am only 5'3" and 10 lbs looks like a lot more on me than a 5'7" person. I finally said ENOUGH. I didn't feel good about myself and decided I needed to do something about it. I started on March 15 and never looked back. I have so much more energy, my back no longer hurts and I feel good about myself again. I am almost at my goal and am amazed that it was so easy and ask myself why I didn't do this years ago. I was lazy. That's what it cones down to. the weight started coming off by merely walking 4 miles three times a week. If I can do it, anyone can!!!
  • Sooznine
    Sooznine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, my kids are almost 8 and almost 10. I added about 10lbs with each and then an extra 15lbs after 'just for fun' :) But, like a lot of people here, i finally decided it was time for ME. As moms, we give a LOT to our kids, but we have to remember that we are important as well. It doesn't take that much away from the kids to exercise and eat better.

I have been on MFP since 4/18 and lost 30.5lbs so far.... almost back to pre-pregnancy weight! But i am working out harder than ever and i feel better because of it. Someone (a kid) made a comment to my son that i was "your mom is fat" this past school year and it really choked me up. I didn't want to be the "fat mom". So i am not anymore.

I keep my cals under almost every day (when i go over it's not by much and the weekly cals are still under. I try to workout EVERY day (and i eat back most of my exercise cals) i have only missed 6 workout days in the last 110+ days here. I find that when working out slows, so does the scale dropping... I've done 30 day shred and C25K, am currently running 3.5-4 miles at a time and do Ripped in 30 off and on.... It's a long process, but we're worth it.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. My son is 20 and my daughter 16. In 2007 I bought my largest size pants ever, was on multiple medications for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and depression, etc. and finally had enough! I was really focused for the first year or so, got down 60 pounds and felt great! I was even able to borrow clothes from my daughter!!!

Then I got lazy. Even though I still need to lose weight, I was happy to be off most of my meds and be at a lower weight than I've been in 20 years! This year I we are taking a cruise in October with some friends who live in another state. I sure would like to wow them. So, in February I purchased a bicycle and started riding. I'm having a blast! Its fun!!! It gets me out of the house and away from all distractions AND I've lost weight AND found the bottom half of my lungs. LOL i had not realized that I wasn't using my full lung capacity.

find your support system and just hang in there. Remember that the weight loss is good, but being healthy is more important!

- Lisa
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 44, 45 next month but no kids! All I wanted to say is who says you can't lose weight the older you get? I started October last year, not very enthusiatic but just eating diffently....no bread, cut down on fats, stopped drinking in Jan this year and of course doing exercise! i've lost 62 lbs so far and have along way to go but I'm doing it!!! People notice the difference and the clothes I'm now wearing are fab...and 2 dress sizes lower!! yyiippee!!!
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You guys are ALL so inspirational! I'm in the same boat with all of you. Turning 44 tomorrow actually. 5'8, started MFP 72 days ago. I have gone from 152 to 138! This site has truly opened my eyes to my eating habits. Its all about variety, moderation, self control, and enjoying the yummy foods that enter your mouth! Any of you, please feel free to add me, I would love to follow your progress. I also have a wonderful husband of 23 years, and 3 beauties ages 16,15, and 12.
  • TamieTrue
    TamieTrue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    Well ladies looks like this is the place for me.I am 43 and the proud mother of 6 beautiful children. My oldest is getting ready to turn 21, Twins 20 , 17 year old, 9 year old and a 3 year old. I Gained all my weight with my first child ( Gained a hundred pounds with her! lost about 15 after I had her and that was it I was mortified) started loosing about a year before my 9 year old came along(30lbs) and felt like the old me again. Ahhhh then surprise I am pregnant again after all those years didn't gain a lot of weight with him actually lost a little but I never been able to get back into the groove, After the 3 year old came It completely zapped me.I actually gained more weight was hovering around 230. not attractive on my 5'2 frame...dont tell anyone lol I would die. I don't know if was my age or what my energy level just bottomed completely out. Ahhh and a mess of teenage and 20 something friends of the kids coming through, then everyone else with young kids in there 20s and 30s My self esteem has plummeted. I am tired all the time and and I don't like it one bit....It's time do something drastic...I want to feel good and feel good about me.

So started my diet 2 weeks ago and down 12 lbs.This is not just a diet I hate the way I feel like I am obsessing about food...but I am having to train my self to make good choices instead of eating what Feels good. It's a life style choice...a Choice for Life.

Good Luck Ladies...Lets do this

Tamie
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'll be forty-one in September. Found that, after one four year-old and two miscarriages (within two years), my body wasn't what it used to be LOL :) I've been on this journey for a year before I found MFP; I'm six sizes smaller than I was, and I've lost four inches in my waist. Don't get me wrong: I'm still obese. But man, am I better off than I was! I'm looking forward to where I'll be in another year's time.

It's great to meet you all! :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ok...ladies, I'm beginning to feel better about this. Spoke to two friends of mine last night who are also ont his journey, one of which gave me some great advice. So I'm bumping up my calories. Between talking to her and reading an article from shape.com which advise women should eat between 1500-1800 calories a day in order to lose weight, it is what I will try. For once I really and truly want to do this. My husband and my 3 sons have been and are so supportive. I am blessed!!!
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am 44 years old with 3 kids - daughter/19, daughter/15, and son/9. This is a great thread. I am enjoying reading the motivation behind your journey. I had not given up on wanting to become healthy, but after so many diet plans followed by failures and regaining the weight plus more, I had pretty well given up that I could find a plan I could live with on a permanent basis. This is the first plan that I have seen that is my own design with reasonable guidelines. I love that a high calorie day does not have to be the end all. And now if I just have one bite of a forbidden food, that can be enough. I never ever really felt that way before. I have been on MFP since May and have lost 14 lbs. I usually eat between 1200-1300 calories and exercise on the eliptical for the most part. I may get out my walking or pilates DVDs if I need a change later.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 42 and a mom of 2, daughter 21 & daughter 14. Then there are my 4 legged children, but that's a WHOLE different thread. I've done WW off and on and yo yo-ed on the weight. I've started MFP and so far so good with my journey. I've learned so much in the short time I've been here. Welcome and good luck on your journey.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a 40 year old mom - soon to be 41 - of two kids: a 12 year old and a 5 year old. To be honest, I lost all my weight from both pregnancies...though I was already overweight prior to getting pregnant. :( Then I figured I'd just work out later....

So I gained even more weight.

A few weeks ago, I decided enough was enough and found MFP. In the short time I've been doing this, I have to admit it has really changed me: I make better decisions about what I eat and how much I exercise. I hadn't realized exactly how much crap I had been eating. This makes me accountable for my actions, both food and exercise wise. I have been researching recipes for food, buying more "raw" foods, and making sure to be more active on a daily basis. In the little time I have been doing this, I have lost 4 pounds.

I know I may hit some rough spots, but I truly believe that this program will help me to get healthy and feel good about myself. My goal is to be fit, moreso than becoming a specific weight. While ideally, I would like to lose 25 pounds, I would be happy with 15 if I felt better about myself and my health. :)
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a 40 year old mom to 4 boys and 1 girl. Ages 15, 13, 10 & 7 for the boys and my daughter is 20. I go to the gym about 5 times a week and switch off between elliptical, bike and swimming along with weight lifting each day. Wasn't seeing much change on the scale after 7 months of working out then I started recording my caloric intake. Now I am on track and in control! It's a slow process but with time and determination I will reach my goal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!