hm_day Support Group

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    If it's based off of apples, I wouldn't worry about it. Fruits in general have a high sugar content, they all do. I have LOW blood sugar so I have to track my sugars in order to make sure I'm getting ENOUGH from healthy foods rather than too little from crappy foods. I also have to boost up my iron intake from 100% to 400% due to anemia. Arrange your goals based on your health and what you feel comfortable with. It is a learning process, and I'm still learning too. I learn a lot from my work, where I am around a lot of great, fit people who are in amazing shape. We even have competitions sometimes :) They keep me in shape and they keep me accountable.
  • hm_day
    Definitely feeling stomach cramping from my cycle PLUS the soda I had today. Too much sugar in the body for someone who has been eating lots of low-sugar foods :/ Oh well, tomorrow's another day!
  • pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Thanx for the add! After not exercising today and going over my cals 3 days in a row...I need it!!!
  • Definitely feeling stomach cramping from my cycle PLUS the soda I had today. Too much sugar in the body for someone who has been eating lots of low-sugar foods :/ Oh well, tomorrow's another day!

Hope you feel better!!!
  • kierra28
    kierra28 Posts: 68 Member
    Take something hot or at least warm like soup/tea to give you relief from cramps. Cramps+cold food/liquid not good in my experience.
    Since you can take in sugar...try 'halwa'...it is pudding sort of Indian dish. It is usually made with semolina/gram flour/wheat flour by roasting it and adding some sugar and milk. But there are recipes that use bottle gourds (what we call ghiya/lauki here) instead. Oh and I almost forgot there this everyone's favorite version of it called 'gajar ka halwa' i.e. carrot halwa. Best eaten warm and gives strength and relief from cramps :)

Carrot version:
    http://foodonmyplate.blogspot.com/2007/03/low-fat-carrot-halwa-i-have-fond.html
    (p.s. For best taste use red carrots if you can. Saffron, cashews and raisins are there only for taste...you can skip them... also if you have cardamons(1 or 2) you can add them instead )
  • Oh...Kierra! those sound so good! I will definitely have to try them! I love indian food (though I need to stay away from the Galub Jamun (spelling??)

Another good thing for cramps - I hear good things about rosehip tea - I usually get rosehip and hibiscus and add a bit of honey since it's very tart
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Today is Week #1/Day #4 for Turbo Fire! My next REST day is Wednesday. I hope to kick it up a notch next week...starting with TF in the AM and run/walk in the evening or flip flop (since it's still so hot here in the south). I haven't seen any weight loss yet. I am still wondering about my calories. I stay under 1200 most of the time. I have been trying to eat back my exercise calories but it's hard. So I am giving myself 3 weeks to notice a difference.

Any suggestions?

Have a great day!
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Hi! I really wish MFP separated natural sugars fom added sugars. Personally, I don't count added sugars because it doesn't make sense to be penalized for having an apple or two, they have so much fiber, fill you up, and they're so good for you!

If only I could control my sweet tooth now... hmmm.... any suggestions?

You're a smart cookie - I'm still learning a lot.

if I'm tracking my sugars, and I'm going over based on having 2 apples in a day...should I worry about that?
  • kierra28
    Oh...Kierra! those sound so good! I will definitely have to try them! I love indian food (though I need to stay away from the Galub Jamun (spelling??)

Another good thing for cramps - I hear good things about rosehip tea - I usually get rosehip and hibiscus and add a bit of honey since it's very tart

It is Gulab Jamun ( 'Gulab' is Hindi for rose...they probably use rose essence in preparation. And 'Jamun' not very sure...but probably a derivative from 'Jamuni' , hindi for purplish color. And as you have had them you would have noticed some balls probably had a deep purplish color due to long frying). Ah...now you have mentioned them I want one!! I like them best warm :)
  • hm_day
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I definitely feel a little better today, although I had a Snickers ice cream bar (that totally counts as healthy, right? I mean, it has peanuts!) because I was dying for something cold. Unfortunately, my work only has them in King sizes.. It's a school, isn't it supposed to be all health-conscious and stuff?
  • hm_day
    I could probably pass out right now guys. Running under the hot water for a few and then I'll be back before bed :)
  • hm_day
    What is everyone's plan for this weekend?
  • First thing on my list - SLEEP! been feeling like I'm coming down with a cold, so hopefully if I catch up on some ZZZZ's I'll thwart the damn thing!

Going to the movies with my mom tonight, we will likely see the new Harry Potter (though I'm not so huge on the franchise)

then...sometime over the weekend I plan to force the hubby into helping me rearrange our place some - i want to put the TV that's in the bedroom into the den (which we are setting up as a workout room) we have a treadmill and a bowflex and a stationary bike in there already, so once the TV is in there it will leave NO excuses. also will give me somewhere to do workout DVD's :)

what about you?
  • hm_day
    Sounds like fun! I'm thinking sleep as well, haven't gotten too much of that this week.

By the way, the new Harry Potter movie is actually pretty good :)

I don't have any concrete plans right now so I'm thinking I'm going to have a little me time, catch up on sleep, food, exercising, etc.
  • Keemeri
    Great idea! It sounds like the Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition show! They makeover the livingroom into a work out room. You can't ignore it when it's right there!

Good luck!
  • Keemeri
    I plan on completing week #1 of Turbo Fire. Today is Day #5. Starts Week #2 on Monday. I also hope to go and lay out by the community pool...starting to lose my tan :-(

Other than that...I want to so some weight training...gotta figure out a way to incorporate it into my TF and walking.

Any ideas??

Turbo Fire is M, T, (W = rest), TH, FR, SAT, SUN - want to walk 2 miles a day and eventually increase training for Half Marathon in January 2012.
  • hm_day
    Keemeri, buy some dumbbells :) They're relatively inexpensive, depending on the weight. That way you can incorporate them daily just by doing 10 reps a few times throughout the day :)
  • kierra28
    We have a festival here (oh no lots of sweets and chocs..will be hard to keep control ) and might be moving home this weekend. :)
  • Keemeri
    Thanks! I have the 3, 5, and 10 lbs weights. I just need to pull it into my exercise program. Maybe in the evening after TF. I can start off with 3's....I do think TF will incorporate them into the routines in later weeks. :-)
  • hm_day
    Kierra - enjoy :) Don't be afraid to indulge in the yumminess. It's only one day after all. Where is "home" to you? :)