Runners: what are your "must haves"?

Options

Replies

• DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Shoes - splurge to get a perfect fit (width, length, snugness at midfoot, heel cushioning)

Socks - splurge again - good wicking and comfortable ones will save you from blisters.

Compression shorts - comfortable and somehow energize the legs, and may aid in preventing some injuries (i.e. groin pulls)

Seemless, dri-fit shirt - cheap ones work just as well, no seems also good for preventing blisters
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    bump to save
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Loving all the posts and people's suggestions - would love to know what brand, type of pant all the women out there are wearing? I currently am working with a pair of fitted cotton pants that I love :love: but they are getting old and starting to wear. So I am in need of a new pair and would love some suggestions. :happy:

I never run in cotton. Just a personal preference, plus I sweat like crazy. My favorite pair of running pants is from road runner sports.com. I am also a huge fan of runningwarehouse.com and they offer free two-day shipping and free returns. I'd suggest just ordering a bunch of pairs and then returning what doesn't work. That's what I always do.

The brand of pants I have from Road Runner is actually their store brand. They've worked well for me.

I have yet to run in anything but cotton and so far I really like them but I guess I should enter the new age and get a proper pair of pants. Thanx for the tips and hopefully I can find something and they will ship to Canada =)

Check out the Running Room... there is one in Lethbridge (Mayor McGrath location) I also buy some of my stuff from Old Navy, LuluLemon and even Walmart is carrying some of the dryfit stuff.

Old Navy had a sale not too long ago on their RecTech stuff. Ended up buying 2 pairs of shorts, and two shirts for $20.

But cotton... ewww.

The only reason I love my cotton pants so much is because to date I haven't tried anything else. I have looked at the Running Room but their prices are just way to steep for me, I have also looked at Sport Mart but also didn't find anything that jumped out at me and it is always so hard to try and get proper help when there. I will definitely check out your other suggestions which will provide me with a much better priced option. Thanx for sharing and I promise I will get away from my cotton pants :-)
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm gearing up for my first half as well.

Enjoyed hearing the feedback.

For a fuel belt...how do you keep your water cold? Or do you not mind it warm?

I never bothered with trying to keep my water cold. But you could freeze it before you go out, and then it will be cold as it thaws. I'm not sure how heavy it would be that way when you're starting out though.

I like my water cold so I load up my water bottle with as much ice as possible. It doesn't always last the whole run but it makes me feel better if I at least get a few cold sips.
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great tips here, thanks to all.

I saw someone earlier ask about compression sleeves, but didn't notice any responses. I always see those at races, but still don't quite get them. Is it to keep warm, keep muscles feeling more limber, or something else? Does anyone here wear them?
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apetranovich
    apetranovich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm a newbie to running.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Great info, everyone! Bumping to save!
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    running shoes (need new ones right now), iphone with runkeeper gps and earbuds, spibelt to hold it, sports bra, socks, and shorts and a cool shirt.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Great ideas people. Thanks for starting this thread! I learned a lot. Hopefully there will be more down the road!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    my legs
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I wouldn't run without my NB Minimus Shoes... Barefoot runner -- Hey! That's me! No socks needed...

Other than that I love, love, love, my fuel belt that I use when I train. It helps for long runs and has a nifty zipper for extra stuff...

When I run a long race I usually have something to re fuel with... I prefer sport beans or shot blocks... Other people like gels and gus. I can't stomach the GU.

SPF 100

Sunglasses -- Good sport ones... nerdy ones preferred.

So glad that you have embraced running! I am adding you BTW ;)
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I saw someone earlier ask about compression sleeves, but didn't notice any responses. I always see those at races, but still don't quite get them. Is it to keep warm, keep muscles feeling more limber, or something else? Does anyone here wear them?
    Compression sleeves on legs? Or are you talking about the arm warmers? Runner's World has done a few articles recently on compression sleeves for legs. It sounds like the jury is out on whether or not they help you run longer, better, faster. But there seems to be an agreement that sleeves are great for recovery after a long run. I debated getting some when I was dealing with shin splits last year, and the people at the running store said they're great for that kind of thing.

The arm warmers (not sure if those are compression or not) are great for modifying body temp easily. So you start your marathon at 7 a.m. when it's freezing and need something for warmth but you also want something that's easy to take off and stow when you heat up. Plus, they look sort of badass, I think.

ETA: Tried to find a link to a RW article on compression sleeves, but I couldn't find anything quickly.
  • AshleeHans
    AshleeHans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sport Beans! - Like Jelly Beans but give you the extra energy you need at about mile 6-7. These work wonders and get you over the hump of feeling exhausted and burnt out! They are only about $1.25 a pack and are easy to carry with you.
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Compression sleeves on legs? Or are you talking about the sleeves people wear on their arms? Runner's World has done a few articles recently on compression sleeves for legs. It sounds like the jury is out on whether or not they help you run longer, better, faster. But there seems to be an agreement that sleeves are great for recovery after a long run. I debated getting some when I was dealing with shin splits last year, and the people at the running store said they're great for that kind of thing.

The sleeves on arms (not sure if those are compression or not) are great for modifying body temp easily. So you start your marathon at 7 a.m. when it's freezing and need something for warmth but you also want something that's easy to take off and stow when you heat up. Plus, they look sort of badass, I think.

Thanks for that. I should have been more clear that I meant sleeves for arms. It was easier to understand the leg ones, and I'd read some of the RW bits on them. I figured the arm ones might just be for temperature control, but then heard/read a few folks talking about compression (arm) sleeves, which got me wondering.

Badass fashion is one good reason, for sure. Though I'm not sure how well the flowery ones pull that off... ;)
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Loving all the posts and people's suggestions - would love to know what brand, type of pant all the women out there are wearing? I currently am working with a pair of fitted cotton pants that I love :love: but they are getting old and starting to wear. So I am in need of a new pair and would love some suggestions. :happy:

I never run in cotton. Just a personal preference, plus I sweat like crazy. My favorite pair of running pants is from road runner sports.com. I am also a huge fan of runningwarehouse.com and they offer free two-day shipping and free returns. I'd suggest just ordering a bunch of pairs and then returning what doesn't work. That's what I always do.

The brand of pants I have from Road Runner is actually their store brand. They've worked well for me.

I have yet to run in anything but cotton and so far I really like them but I guess I should enter the new age and get a proper pair of pants. Thanx for the tips and hopefully I can find something and they will ship to Canada =)

Check out the Running Room... there is one in Lethbridge (Mayor McGrath location) I also buy some of my stuff from Old Navy, LuluLemon and even Walmart is carrying some of the dryfit stuff.

Old Navy had a sale not too long ago on their RecTech stuff. Ended up buying 2 pairs of shorts, and two shirts for $20.

But cotton... ewww.

I agree, not cotton, it's the worst. I used it to start out and quickly learned it had to go. You can find decent prices wicking fabrics at Walmart and Old Navy. I have even gone in to Goodwill and looked around and found 2 brand new Under Armor compression shirts, and 5 brand new tech shirts from races that people didn't keep and gave away, probably due to fit. Always check those places. I really luck out and use it for my training runs. A race usually gets a special purchase item. :)
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    BondiBands
    SPIbelt
    Extra spearmint gum
    RoadID
    Sport Beans
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

But cotton... ewww.

I agree, not cotton, it's the worst. I used it to start out and quickly learned it had to go. You can find decent prices wicking fabrics at Walmart and Old Navy. I have even gone in to Goodwill and looked around and found 2 brand new Under Armor compression shirts, and 5 brand new tech shirts from races that people didn't keep and gave away, probably due to fit. Always check those places. I really luck out and use it for my training runs. A race usually gets a special purchase item. :)

Thanx for the tips I am going to head out and do some shopping this weekend, see if I can find something I like.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Newbie runner here too, I'm loving the tips!

This is going to sound odd, but for me it's chapstick... I HATE having dry lips when I'm running!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    BUMP