who is YOUR favorite Author?

Replies

• shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Dean Koontz (especially the Odd Thomas series)
    Piers Anthony (especially the Incarnations of Immortality series)

I don't know if I've ever met another person that loves Piers. I haven't read any of that series, but I've read all except the newest of the Xanth series (and most of the others at least twice).

I also like Trudy Canavan, JRR Tolken, and Christopher Paolini.

You should definitely get On A Pale Horse by Piers. It is my favorite in the series. I've gone through 3 copies of it since high school. I can usually find them at Goodwill.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    I love Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member

Patrick Rothfuss is another favorite. His first book 'The Name of the Wind' was so good I was glad I'd discovered it late and only had to wait a year for the next one. I think the final book in the trilogy is years away but will be oh so worth it. Old school fantasy genre.

He is very good. I went to a reading and Q&A by him in London. He's cool, too.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    Too many too mention, I read about 100-150 books a year.

Scott Sigler (I'm biased, I communicate with him regularly)
    Stephen King
    Dean Koontz (old stuff, his new stuff is absolute garbage, STOP WITH THE DAMN DOGS ALREADY)
    John Saul
    Robert Jordan
    George RR Martin
    Brandon Saunderson
    JRR Tolkein
    etc. etc. etc.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    A few of my favorites are:

Stephen King (I have every book of his)
    JK Rowling
    Philip K. D.ick
    Ray Bradbury
    Alice Sebold
    Arthur C. Clarke
    Fannie Flagg
    George R. R. Martin

I know I'm forgetting others, but these are a few I read regularly.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti hands down!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Ernie Pyle, Dr. Seuss, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Stephen Ambrose, Maurice Sendak
  • And I just finished the book "The Help" that they based the new movie off of, highly reccomended!

Great! I was wondering that before.....if anyone had read it......I have got to check it out!

i cant wait for the movie now!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Dean Koontz (old stuff, his new stuff is absolute garbage, STOP WITH THE DAMN DOGS ALREADY)

Oh man, I soooo agree. Also, I think The Taking is quite possibly one of the worst books I've read. Ever.

My faves are....

Stephen King
    Christopher Moore
    Diana Gabaldon
    Charlaine Harris
    Neil Gaiman
    Robert McCammon
    Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120 Member
    Picking a favourite author might be almost as difficult as choosing a favourite child (says the girl with over 4 000 books). A few authors I read over and over are:

Hemingway
    Harper Lee
    JK Rowling
    Shakespeare
    ****ens (edited to add: D i c k ens got bleeped. Ha!)
    Aeschylus
    Dr Seuss
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Ernie Pyle, Dr. Seuss, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Stephen Ambrose, Maurice Sendak

Too...many....genres.....
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Love Dean koontz, jo nesbø, Christopher brookmyre, nicci french, Simone de beauvoir, currently reading David Byrnes bicycle diaries n loving it - I have a very weird thing for David Byrne tho!
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    I like 19th and mid 20th century Brits, early 20th Americans, a tremendous number of Russians. I don't get to read much fiction or literature anymore, just technical journals and texts. When I had more time for junk reading, I loved Lovecraft, Burrows, Adams, Donaldson, etc. I still love Lewis (though more of his non-childrens work), a few contemporary popularists of science and philosophy (I don't have the aptitude to read the true technical works), and any magazine featuring running shoes.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    I like 19th and mid 20th century Brits, early 20th Americans, a tremendous number of Russians. I don't get to read much fiction or literature anymore, just technical journals and texts. When I had more time for junk reading, I loved Lovecraft, Burrows, Adams, Donaldson, etc. I still love Lewis (though more of his non-childrens work), a few contemporary popularists of science and philosophy (I don't have the aptitude to read the true technical works), and any magazine featuring running shoes.

I love you for mentioning C.S. Lewis. He is my hands-down, all-time, absolute favorite author. I love all his work, but I honestly have read Chronicles of Narnia at least 50 times since I was 8 and I learn something new every time.

I agree with Jane Austen, A. Conan Doyle, and of course J.K. Rowling (I don't think there is a 23-30 year old person out there who hasn't been affected by Rowling). I love all the Piers Anthony mentions because I went through a huge stage of his in middle school. My dad read what I was reading one time and I was quite embarrassed. =)

I usually really like reading the year's Man Booker prize candidates.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Haruki Murakami
  • Dean Koontz (especially the Odd Thomas series)
    Piers Anthony (especially the Incarnations of Immortality series)

I don't know if I've ever met another person that loves Piers. I haven't read any of that series, but I've read all except the newest of the Xanth series (and most of the others at least twice).

I also like Trudy Canavan, JRR Tolken, and Christopher Paolini.

LOVE Piers Anthony - the absolute, uncontested King of Puns!! (Obviously, Xanth series is my fave.) The non-fiction book he did about editors cracked me up - can't think of the title right now. I adored "Letters to Jenny" too.

I've been on a Dean Koontz binge for some time now, just going through one after another. The Odd Thomas series is one of the best series I've ever read, of any fictional genre. I also loved how he wove so many different genres into "Tick Tock" - that was awesome!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    george orwell
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Walt Whitman, John Keats, W.S. Merwin, Robert Bolano (not a poet, but a great author) :)
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    I like Fay Weldon. Currently reading Caitlin Moran's new book "How to be a woman".
  • Chuck Palanuick and Dean Koontz.
    Love them! Can't choose who I like better though.