Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options
Instead of linking it to the previous ones I decided to start over. A while back we had an ongoing thread with this title that got pretty active then died. It is time to bring it back.

gr8dad1975 started the original with the following:

"Remember guys, this spot was created as a space and a place where we can come to exclusively share trials and triumphs. So don't forget to stop by at least once week and post a question, a comment, or a funny experience.

Best wishes on your journeys.......MAY THE BEST MEN WIN!!!"

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Glad to see it back!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Thanks Ump just started again this week and will need all the motivation I can get.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I always liked this thread and it helped bring me back. Sometimes you need accountability and if you know others are keeping up with your updates it gives you that little kick in the tail you need sometimes.

I realize not everyone cares that I am on Week X Day X of P90X but then I will get someone ask, Where is the P90x update and I realize there are people paying attention.

BTW: 1st scrimmage of the football season this weekend and first varsity game next Friday night! LOVE being on the field again in the best shape of my life!
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZa7hU6tP_s&feature=youtu.be

You guys will get a kick out of this video called Dad Life.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Oh Hey, I used to hang around this thread.

Not feeling real motivated today. Have a cold that made it's way into my chest. I'm supposed to be running..just facilitating regular life is taking all my energy yesterday / today. Need to get back after it by this weekend if I want to run this 25K in late September I've been thinking about.

Umpire, How many Ed Hochuli comments have you got.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    A few. I tweaked my back a bit and felt similar so I decided to go on a Yoga kick the last 2 days and it has helped tremendously! I did a Yoga workout last night and this morning and planning on doing another tonight.

My daughter is in X-Country and they setup their first race in a public 5k so I am going to run it with her. Have not ran in a while since I have been doing the other workouts, should be interesting.
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    Ump, is your yoga workout on your own, ata gym, or a video?
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Videos - I have:

P90x - YogaX
    One on One w/ Tony Horton - Fountain of Youth Yoga
    Jillian Michaels - Yoga Meltdown
    Chalean Johnson - Dynamic Yoga

I know when you start that you feel silly and many people say they HATE it but it has helped me tremendously.

YogaX is standard on Thursdays but it is 1.5 hours so if I need to cut it down I use one of the others or if I want a nighttime session.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Checking in
  • danstvguy
    Options
    I've been with MFP off and on for a about 2 months now and it really is a different mindset. But I feel I finally catching on and I am getting better at managing my allocated calories. Exercise monitoring really helps me deal with craving (love the Newcastle Ale and now I budget for it).

Started jogging again after 3 years and it all thanks to this program. Nutrisystem is futile.
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    Videos - I have:

P90x - YogaX
    One on One w/ Tony Horton - Fountain of Youth Yoga
    Jillian Michaels - Yoga Meltdown
    Chalean Johnson - Dynamic Yoga

I know when you start that you feel silly and many people say they HATE it but it has helped me tremendously.

YogaX is standard on Thursdays but it is 1.5 hours so if I need to cut it down I use one of the others or if I want a nighttime session.

My Boss is doing P90X and says he loves the yoga.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I( have never tried a video. I run 4-5 days a week and lift 2-3 times a week. I work in a great area for running and we have a small gym in the office. It is just too convienent . . . I do have a copy of P90x, but I have never tried it.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    P90x Week 9 Day 5 - Legs and Back & AbRipperX - Had a little extra time after so I did a 15 minute elliptical session. Back is starting to get a tad better but still tweaked.

Also did the Rushfit Stretch video last night.

Keith - I think you would like P90x. At the very least you need a set of resistance bands and or set of dumbells and a pullup bar. That is what keeps most people from wanting to try it.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    I'm in.

Saw a nutritionist earlier this year and was told how to eat (forever). Funny that someone has to spell it out for you, but clearly a lifestyle of pizza and taco bell wasn't working out...

Down 60 pounds since then. Enjoying eating fruits and vegetables (never really did) and really, really enjoying exercising. Lift weights 3x a week, treadmill on the off days, increasingly brutal bike rides scattered throughout the week. Went from barely making it in size 42 pants to a comfortably fitting 36. Can only lift half of what I could in high school/college, but still managed to increase the main lifts by 30 lbs over the last month and a half.

If I could quit smoking I'd try to get into running. I'll tackle that once I drop another 30lbs or so...

Just trying to pull it altogether before I hit 40 in a couple years.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    I started my weight journey on my 38th birthday. I'm now 40 and in the best shape of my life but still got a ways to go! - It is addicting!

Also stopped smoking about 12 years ago

Got off carbonated beverages 3 years ago

Still drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day though :-)
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Weighed in at 169.4lbs this morning, lowest in living memory :D My SelectTechs came in a couple days ago and I love 'em. Looking forward to putting on more muscle mass.

I've been soda/sweet tea/caffeine free for almost a year now, after 20+ years of 8-12 cans of coca~cola per day. Never going back to that again.

You can read about my weight loss in my MFP Blog, link in sig. Been maintaining the past few months. Now I am concentrating on strength training with some supplemental cardio, instead of the other way around.
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    Weight lifting question. I read an article that the old 3 sets of 10 is really not productive, which is what I do when I first start out. After a month or longer depending on my bad shoulder I switch to 8-5-3. Wondering if that is also unproductive.
  • jampor
    jampor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Count me in,

The only thing that has held me back is when the motivation drops off and I don't have anyone to get me back on track, so this group sounds ideal.

Current weight: 224lbs
    Target weight: 196lbs

Currently also have zero friends on here so please add me if you want.

Looking forward to looking great!!

Thanks guys

James (U.K)
  • jampor
    jampor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always find that 3 x 10 works well for me, I tend to adjust the weight so the last rep is close to failure and I try and do a slow lift and slow lower, if I find it getting easy I increase the weight.

I'm not an expert but I think it depends on what you want to achieve as you can use weights as a cardio exercise if you it quickly with lower weight.

I think it's good to keep the rest time between reps between 60 and 90 seconds as this keeps a structure to your workout and I find means I get a good weights session done in 30-45 minutes which keeps me motivated.

I am trying to add a bit of muscle but not too much but want to increase my muscle percentage as it helps with weight loss by raising my metabolism even when I am sat doing nothing.

Don't take my experience as advice, but doing my weights before cardio works really well for me and stops the aches the next day (40 next year !!)
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Weight lifting question. I read an article that the old 3 sets of 10 is really not productive, which is what I do when I first start out. After a month or longer depending on my bad shoulder I switch to 8-5-3. Wondering if that is also unproductive.

Depends on your goal:

Just maintain current muscle mass while losing fat? I did 12-15 reps, and did a circuit training style workout that kept the heart rate up. Worked well for me :)

Are you trying to bulk up on muscle mass? This is what I am currently trying to do. From everything I've read, the best bet is 5 to 8 reps for the average Joe. I'm going for failure on the 5th rep, 3 sets each. Hope this works well for me as well...check with me in a couple months :D