Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options

Replies

• Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    lacrolix - I give you props. The Zumba at my Y is an estrogen jungle. I do not think I have ever seen one guy go in. How was that? My coordination is crap so I did not think it would be good for me so I have never tried it.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Also good job on the 5k, Watch out: They can get addicting :-)
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good thread guys! Keep it up!

Dunno about you ump, but I foudn the P90X EXTREMELY back intensive, like the only lift that saw significant change was back (went from 1/2 a chin-up to like 5... this was about 3.5 years ago tho!).

For guys trying to add strength. I've been test driving a CKD for the las three weeks, and the results are just blowing me away.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    lacrolix - I give you props. The Zumba at my Y is an estrogen jungle. I do not think I have ever seen one guy go in. How was that? My coordination is crap so I did not think it would be good for me so I have never tried it.

yep. 30 peeps. 3 guys. me, older gent and a young mid 20's guy. rest of them girls. I could barely keep pace. defintely good though.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    My pullups/chinups have improved like you said (from 1/2 to approx 7 pre/post P90x). I have really been trying to add Yoga more which has done wonders for my flexibility, joint health (My knees are not great but 1000% better than pre-Yoga), balance, etc. and while I haven't gained or lost any weight (+/- 5 on any given week) in a year, I can definitively tell I have toned up tremendously since before I did Insanity (x2) then P90x.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I never had time for the full yoga class (did the program during a fitness class in highschool, only 70 minutes time), but I know what you mean. The thing with these programs is that the nutrition packages they come with, while somewhat simplified, are ESSENTIAL for best results.

The best workout program in the world can't overcome a donut and pizza diet :P
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Hybrid Week 1 Day 5 Complete - P90x Legs and Back followed by Insanity Cardio Abs. - My lower extremities are on fire!

AJ - I agree with the nutrition part but I can not be on a "program" for the rest of my life so I have learned how I can eat and keep the results I need. With that said, no donuts or pizza :-)
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I agree with the nutrition part but I can not be on a "program" for the rest of my life so I have learned how I can eat and keep the results I need. With that said, no donuts or pizza :-)

Yep I agree, however I still allow myself the luxury of the occasional pizza and beer :ohwell:

I joined the Athens Classic Marathon race on Nov 13. Don't get too excited, I'm only running the 5K distance. My current 5K time is about 31 mins, I should be able to go sub 30 if I prepare and eat decently over the next 6 weeks.

My main issue is a herniated neck disk which causes numbness to my left arm and has weakened the triceps. This prohibits me from doing chinups, pushups or even bench presses, but at least it doesn't stop me from doing planks, situps and a few exercises with dumbbells. Hopefully the situation will get better with PT.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    You might also want to look into adding Yoga to your routine. It has helped me tremendously. More than I could have imagined.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Hybrid - Week 2 Day 1 Complete - Upper Body Plus & Abs/Core Plus ending in the RushFit Cooldown. Abs/Core ended with 2 moves called 360 Chatarunga and the Cherry Bomb (They are as painful as they sound!)
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Still working with a balky knee, so running has been out. Ellipticals, exercise bikes, and swimming will have to do for a few more days.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    I really should add swimming to my routine. That will work you!
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Hybrid Week 2 Day 3 Complete - RushFit Full Body Strength and Conditioning - Round 5 was brutal!
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Hybrid - Week 2 Day 5 Complete - Plyo Legs - I was going to do Killer Abs as well but time got away from me so only legs today. - I liked it but seemed to have too much dead time between moves.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    First run on my crappy knee in a few weeks. 35:45 for 4 miles. Not too much pain. I hope it is getting better!
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Keep working at it Keith and it will for sure.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Hybrid Week 3 Day 5 complete

I am still kinda bummed that as far as I have come that I cant do double digit pullups in any form yet.

I realize that when I started P90x I couldn't do 3 chinups and no wide arms but I would think that at this point I would.

Today was a pullup intensive day and I pulled 7 close grip chinups at one time and that was the most of anything. Wide arm, and others I usually end up with about 5 per set.

For the "300 Workout" you start the workout with 25 standard width pullups. I want that!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    hi all. did my 2nd 5K just this Saturday. course is about 70% flat, 30% hilly especially in this one part where it's just a long S curvy all uphill. according to my GPS tracker 300 feet in elevation. I didn't think I'd beat my time of 46:56 from my 1st 5K with those damn hills slowly me down :mad: but I did! 46:37. feels great. I think the best part was at the start of the long hilly part a 60 yr old woman passed me, smiling and giving my a thumbs up. It made me smile too. :blushing: then when I reached the top of the hills and the rest of course was flat, I was determined to catch up to her. never did though. :sad: lol:laugh:
  • ianwalker1969
    Options
    Didn't know there was a thread just for us fellas.

Hi everyone :)
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Keep it up lacrolix. It gets addicting. :)

Welcome Ian