Found this. About to do it. May die.

Options
1235»

Replies

• frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to have to give it a shot. Couldn't hurt, could it?
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    -bumpity bump bump-
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    GCme7.jpg

I keep hearing how awesome this workout is. Anyone else done/doing t? I figure 4 minutes cant be THAT bad...right?

Edit: Ok, so img tags dont work here. /facepalm

Edit part deux: FIXED IT!
    Called Tabata protocol. Great workout if you're limited on time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    One thing: EVERY EXERCISE HAS TO BE "ALL OUT" EFFORT, meaning 100%. By about the 3rd exercise if you're not practically spent, then you're intensity is too low. It's gotta be hardcore throughout.

Also DO NOT TRY THIS if you're not decently fit. It's not a beginner nor intermediate workout.

If you can't do the exercises, then you can also do it sprinting then walking, on the elliptical but crank the resistance to the highest level and same with a bike.

I do this at the end of many a workout with my clients and they are laying on the floor when done.

Tabata isn't supposed to burn a lot of calories. But it will raise your VO2 max which means if you do any aerobic work, you can work at a higher intensity for a longer duration.
    This is actually an anaerobic workout, so it will raise your resting metabolic rate and burn more calories when you aren't working out.
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This DEFINITELY doesn't burn as much as a 40-60 minute run! No way. It's definitely good.. but too short! Maybe if you do it multiple times, then it will be worth it. Jillian Michael's "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" has a lot of these same moves. Burpees, squat thrusts, moutain climbers, jumping jacks. It's really intense, and it's 45 minutes long. I burn about 600 calories doing that:) It's my favorite!

Thanks for the link:)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i dont beleive that this can burn more calories than a 40 minute run. hell, i doubt it would burn more than a 10 minute run (at a decent pace)

has someone with a HRM confirmed this?
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to give this a try...
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is just a form of HIIT (many previous posters identified it with the original tabata protocols, from the 1996 study of the same name). Interval training has shown great promise in rapidly increasing fitness with a smaller volume of work, and it is seems to be better at actually reducing adiposity. Even Chris Carmichael has gone over entirely to forms of interval training (the guy that coached Armstrong). However, the claims that it can burn huge calories, I assume, are based on EPOC, claims about which are falling apart in contemporary studies. Afterburn is dubious, and what has been observed only occurs after olympic level exertions. Use this exercise (if you can) to rapidly increase both V02 max (which will make longer running easier), increase strength, and to mobilize fatty acids. It will not, however, be enough to burn any large number of kcal by itself (the rate of burning calories is limited by availability of oxygen, which is limited by the liters per minute of respiration and max heart rate, and rate of cellular respiration).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Looks 'fun'!! I'll give it a try... what would you log it as...???
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'll try that tonight, thanks! x
  • joimichele
    joimichele Posts: 382
    Options
    Squat thrust are like bur-pees. Good luck with that. Those are killer.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This DEFINITELY doesn't burn as much as a 40-60 minute run! No way. It's definitely good.. but too short! Maybe if you do it multiple times, then it will be worth it. Jillian Michael's "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" has a lot of these same moves. Burpees, squat thrusts, moutain climbers, jumping jacks. It's really intense, and it's 45 minutes long. I burn about 600 calories doing that:) It's my favorite!

Thanks for the link:)
    It's not meant to be long. By the last cycle, you should be FLAT OUT SPENT. You shouldn't be able to do anything afterward. If you can (besides walk) then your intensity was too low.
    Many people DON'T do 100%. Maybe 60% maybe 70%. It has to be 100% all out effort.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This is just a form of HIIT (many previous posters identified it with the original tabata protocols, from the 1996 study of the same name). Interval training has shown great promise in rapidly increasing fitness with a smaller volume of work, and it is seems to be better at actually reducing adiposity. Even Chris Carmichael has gone over entirely to forms of interval training (the guy that coached Armstrong). However, the claims that it can burn huge calories, I assume, are based on EPOC, claims about which are falling apart in contemporary studies. Afterburn is dubious, and what has been observed only occurs after olympic level exertions. Use this exercise (if you can) to rapidly increase both V02 max (which will make longer running easier), increase strength, and to mobilize fatty acids. It will not, however, be enough to burn any large number of kcal by itself (the rate of burning calories is limited by availability of oxygen, which is limited by the liters per minute of respiration and max heart rate, and rate of cellular respiration).
    This.^ It's challenging and I personally do it for myself only 2 days a week. Like lovejoydavid says, the PRIMARY goal for this workout is to raise your VO2 max ( the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual). If you're consistent with it you can raise your VO2 max by 14%. That's pretty significant. The other plus is your recovery time.