"Just" Cardio

Options
123457»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    But that's all I've been saying. You will gain initially. Not that you will continue to gain with cardio. I know this is true because once due to an injury I had to not use one leg AT ALL for 2 months. I was thin. My leg was noticably smaller than the one I was using and got noticably bigger when I began walking on it again. I did no strength training, just walking and I built muscle.
    Well you're even helping solidify some of what we've been saying. When a muscle ISN'T used it will ATROPHY. The muscle basically "deflates". This is not disputed amongst any doctor, physical therapist, orthopedist, etc. So all that happened is once you started using the muscle again, it "blew" back up. You DID NOT build muscle. You just reactivated the use of it and it responded by retaining water and glycogen (just like any other person would if they started working out).
    I know you'd like to believe that you built muscle, but this isn't the case. Sorry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I realize that. I got the resistance from walking (cardio).
    But walking doesn't overload the leg muscles. If this were the case, then people walking around would all have big, muscular legs.................................and that ain't the case.
    It's okay if you thought you built muscle. It's just that the science we know of and studied and have clinical proof from doesn't show that.