Operation Hot Bod (8/19-11/23)

Options
123457»

Replies

• trispire
    Options
    Good job on the weight loss everyone! No matter how small, we are going in the right direction to meet our goals!! :)
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well done guys on the challange and weight loss this week!!!

I met the weights challange and made 4 water days

W:124.3Ib. Always round this bloody weight!!! Stoopid plateau Grrrrrrrrr :explode:

Hey guys... just let me know if you gained or lost, how many days you did strength training and how many days you met water e.g met water: 6 days

Then I can add it to the tally board!

Well done on all the progress thus far!

NEXT WEEK'S CHALLANGE
    Easy points up for grabs with the water intake (drink 8 cups per day for 1 point each day- a possible 7 points!!)
    Weight loss- 2 points
    Little harder: 3X10 mintes of non-stop high intensity cardio (ie. cycling, swimming, jogging, skipping) This can be spread out over 3 days or rolled into one 30 minute workout. Your choice! 4 points.
  • Mentzerj
    Options
    Just posting a little NSV..had my friday weight training session, and my trainer brought in a friend of his (also a trainer who is just starting out) to sort of step in for a round of my work out (he asked, I didn't mind). Was interesting, cause this trainer didn't know me at all in terms of what we normally do, weights, thresholds, etc. So she setup for my minor group on the first round, which was abs, and goes 'We are going to do inclined situps, with a medicine ball, and oblique rotations as you situp.' Essentially feet locked under a bar, laying back about 45 degrees on a bench, start sitting up fully - trainer tosses you the ball, catch it, lay all the way back to the bench and then as you sit up moving the ball to almost touch the bench on your left, then right, then left, then right - at which point you are all the way sitting up again and toss the ball back, repeat.
    Now - I looked at her, and my first thought was - you are smoking some crack. Guess that was still my 2 months ago mind frame, cause while not easy, and I'm sure I'm going to feel it tomorrow, I got through full 3 sets of them.
    After those sets my trainer even said, 'Man, I'd have never thrown in those rotations first time we did inclines, nice work.' Was cool to have a nice obvious progression moment in the gym in a week where the scale didn't quite move as much as I'd have liked =)
  • trispire
    Options
    That's awesome Josh! WTG ;)
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Josh! Sounds like you are doing great. I have done my cardio, my walking and have gotten my water in each day. YEAH!!! I am thrilled. Although on Saturday I was finishing my water intake at about 11:30 pm, but I did get it in. I was alittle over all weekend in my calories, but just barely. I will have to get my cardio and walking in late, late, late tonight as this was the first day of school and it threw my schedule off a little bit. I don't want to miss doing the exercise because I need it in order to get my body fat down.

I did a small amount of weight lifting on Friday night. Sort of cool! My first time ever. I would like more definition in my arms so that's what I worked on. Trying to figure out exactly what I need to do, but can't afford a trainer or the gym. Any suggestions anyone? I don't have a machine, just 5 and 10 pound weights. The 5 pound weights didn't seem heavy enough. The 10 were a little hard after 10 reps. Any help would be appreciated.

Hoping for a great week for everyone! My weigh in on Friday will probably be a little late in the day. I have a biopsy scheduled at 10 am for a lump on my back. Wish me luck! Keep trying to tell myself it's nothing, but the closer I get to the date .... the more nervous I get. I will be laid up for three days - no weight lifting or moving my arms too much - will have stitches in my upper back.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Well done guys on the challange and weight loss this week!!!

I met the weights challange and made 4 water days

W:124.3Ib. Always round this bloody weight!!! Stoopid plateau Grrrrrrrrr :explode:

Hey guys... just let me know if you gained or lost, how many days you did strength training and how many days you met water e.g met water: 6 days

Then I can add it to the tally board!

Well done on all the progress thus far!

NEXT WEEK'S CHALLANGE
    Easy points up for grabs with the water intake (drink 8 cups per day for 1 point each day- a possible 7 points!!)
    Weight loss- 2 points
    Little harder: 3X10 mintes of non-stop high intensity cardio (ie. cycling, swimming, jogging, skipping) This can be spread out over 3 days or rolled into one 30 minute workout. Your choice! 4 points.

So, does walking at a 4.5 for 32 minutes count?...I wanted to jog but my knee keeps screaming at me!
  • Mentzerj
    Options
    I did a small amount of weight lifting on Friday night. Sort of cool! My first time ever. I would like more definition in my arms so that's what I worked on. Trying to figure out exactly what I need to do, but can't afford a trainer or the gym. Any suggestions anyone? I don't have a machine, just 5 and 10 pound weights. The 5 pound weights didn't seem heavy enough. The 10 were a little hard after 10 reps. Any help would be appreciated.

Hoping for a great week for everyone! My weigh in on Friday will probably be a little late in the day. I have a biopsy scheduled at 10 am for a lump on my back. Wish me luck! Keep trying to tell myself it's nothing, but the closer I get to the date .... the more nervous I get. I will be laid up for three days - no weight lifting or moving my arms too much - will have stitches in my upper back.

First off, good luck with your biopsy - all of this is about being healthy, so take care of your health first!

Now, to the fun stuff =) As I've probably let on, I pretty heavily favor strength training in my workouts, and you really do not need to go to a gym or have a bunch of equipment to get a good strength work out in. Using just things around the house, body weight, or generally inexpensive resistance bands you can get good work outs in. There are a ton of resources online to look up for body weight work outs - you can hit youtube with that search and get a ton of examples. I also like this other site called nerdfitness.com - the guy who runs that site, while a huge proponent of paleo and it really comes out in most of his articles, does a lot of travelling so does a lot of strength/body weight work outs. I think he even has a large set of how-to clips and videos on his site for them.

On a funny, sort of side note - this Friday night my client in Detroit called and asked if I could come up for the week of 9/12. So, I of course agreed and booked my flight and hotel and such. I haven't been up there and seen these folks face to face since April (before I started loosing weight). Working from home for them since then though, that is also the last time I wore my suits - which I did not think of since last night. Sooo, I took them over to a tailor over lunch today, and put on the first suit jacket, and he goes.. 'Ok - my first recommendation is give all those suits away and go buy new ones.' It turned into a giant negotiation, as he showed me the most he could bring in the jackets, pinning them up and such, and they were still too a bit too big. We finally settled on him agreeing to bring in 2 as much as possible (they are still a tad too big, but not comical 13yo boy wearing his father's suit big) - what finally got him to cave was me telling him that I planned on losing yet another 15-20lbs and buying new suits now would just have him and I having this conversation again in 2 months.
  • anacsitham5
    Options
    First off, good luck with your biopsy - all of this is about being healthy, so take care of your health first!

Now, to the fun stuff =) As I've probably let on, I pretty heavily favor strength training in my workouts, and you really do not need to go to a gym or have a bunch of equipment to get a good strength work out in. Using just things around the house, body weight, or generally inexpensive resistance bands you can get good work outs in. There are a ton of resources online to look up for body weight work outs - you can hit youtube with that search and get a ton of examples. I also like this other site called nerdfitness.com - the guy who runs that site, while a huge proponent of paleo and it really comes out in most of his articles, does a lot of travelling so does a lot of strength/body weight work outs. I think he even has a large set of how-to clips and videos on his site for them.

On a funny, sort of side note - this Friday night my client in Detroit called and asked if I could come up for the week of 9/12. So, I of course agreed and booked my flight and hotel and such. I haven't been up there and seen these folks face to face since April (before I started loosing weight). Working from home for them since then though, that is also the last time I wore my suits - which I did not think of since last night. Sooo, I took them over to a tailor over lunch today, and put on the first suit jacket, and he goes.. 'Ok - my first recommendation is give all those suits away and go buy new ones.' It turned into a giant negotiation, as he showed me the most he could bring in the jackets, pinning them up and such, and they were still too a bit too big. We finally settled on him agreeing to bring in 2 as much as possible (they are still a tad too big, but not comical 13yo boy wearing his father's suit big) - what finally got him to cave was me telling him that I planned on losing yet another 15-20lbs and buying new suits now would just have him and I having this conversation again in 2 months.
    [/quote]

Josh ` That's great about your suits being so big that altering isn't your solution! Isn't it an amazing feeling! Everyone will do a double take when they see you. You will love it!

I recently saw one of my best friends from high school. I was walking over to him, he looked at me, looked away and continued talking to his friend. I stopped in front of him and waited for him to finish talking. He looked at me again, looked away and then looked back and said "Oh my God. I didn't even recognize you!" I've known this person for 30+ years and see him several times during the year. It was an amazing feeling. I have changed my entire wardrobe in my closet about 3 times now. I love it each time! Thank goodness I shop at thrift shops, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it!!!! I just purchased a pair of jeans with the goal that I can wear them by Christmas. I call them my "goal clothes". I'm hoping that weight lifting will help me tone up and help me with getting into these. I would like more definition in my arms so my tank tops look better and (of course) my belly area. That area is so resistant! I just don't think sit ups do anything, I'm trying push ups and am surprised that even though I could only do 3 the first time, I'm progressing each time. I'd love to blow my kids minds by doing 25+
  • Mentzerj
    Options
    Forum's been quiet, hope everyone is doing well!
    I've got sort of a rough week ahead of me - the whole time I've been doing this 'eat clean, exercise' thing I've been able to work from home, but here in an hour or two I'm off to catch a flight to Detroit to work onsite for a week. Not looking forward to trying to eat clean, etc, without access to a kitchen and living out of a hotel room =/. Anyone have any good suggestions for eating out healthy? Other than the obvious, control your portions, etc.
    I already called the gyms around the hotel I'm staying at and arranged for a week pass at either a Gold's or a Bally's - so least I'll still be able to keep up my exercise routines if the hotel gym is weak.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Forum's been quiet, hope everyone is doing well!
    I've got sort of a rough week ahead of me - the whole time I've been doing this 'eat clean, exercise' thing I've been able to work from home, but here in an hour or two I'm off to catch a flight to Detroit to work onsite for a week. Not looking forward to trying to eat clean, etc, without access to a kitchen and living out of a hotel room =/. Anyone have any good suggestions for eating out healthy? Other than the obvious, control your portions, etc.
    I already called the gyms around the hotel I'm staying at and arranged for a week pass at either a Gold's or a Bally's - so least I'll still be able to keep up my exercise routines if the hotel gym is weak.

Eating clean is hard at the best of time, needing food preparation and time. I know, I've done it and continue to incorporate it! Rather than set yourself up for failure I would relax with the eating clean and focus on the 'good' calories.

I would arm myself with snacks so that I don't starve and than blow it. The health food store/section can offer some not so terrible pre-made foods.

I like gluten-free museli bars, fruit, plain popcorn, rice cakes, peanut butter, Ms Mays bites, mixed nuts, 10 rice crackers etc.

Read the back of products and if there is any ingredient you don't recognise, don't buy it!!
  • anacsitham5
    Options
    I agree Josh...where did everyone go? I was out of commission with my biopsy on Friday and my sons surgery yesterday, but still here and going strong. I got my exercise in walking up and down the hospital hallway while he was in surgery. I guess that makes me determined :) although I think people thought I was demented.