My GREEK Yogurt RANT!!! Please read this

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

So, while you're entitled to your opinion, that don't make it so. ;-)

Same goes for you. I'm not making this into some silly debate. I just feel that the label should be "Greek Style"

Apparently it's not just my opinion either:

"US yogurt producer Chobani has lost a court case in the UK over the “misleading” labeling of its Greek yogurts.

Following a seven-day trial, which was initiated by a complaint from Greek rival Fage, Chobani was told by a High Court judge that the labeling on its product was “confusing” for UK consumers.

Mr Justice Briggs granted a permanent injunction and said Fage had succeeded in its claim to “restrain Chobani from passing off its American-made yogurt in England and Wales under the description Greek yogurt”."

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2013/03/28/us-chobani-loses-court-case-in-uk-sorry-youre-not-greek-yogurt/
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I hate all the added sugar in the flavored yogurts. I treat them as a desert if I ever eat them. I don't use artificial sweetener, but I will add fruit or a teaspoon of honey to my plain greek yogurt. I also love experimenting with making dips with it (most recently roasted garlic and pepper). I also use it to make creamy tomato pepper soup. Yum!!!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from flavored fruit yogurts to plain because of how high in sugar they are, although sugar is not a problem for me at this time (no diabetes, pre-diabetes, in danger of diabetes, etc). If I'm going to have sugar, give me fine chocolate!

But stevia and splenda = BLEH! I like my yogurt (greek, greek style, regular) plain with a few unsweetened berries and maybe a tablespoon or two of granola on top for crunch (I know granola is high in sugar too, which is why I'm using it as a topping).

Really though, not having a problem with sugar metabolism, the rant really doesn't apply to me.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone, before I start my rant I know that some of you will not agree with me or simply do not care because you are not diabetic and only count calories. But just take the time to listen to what I am telling you because I used to be that way, I never counted my grams of sugar or carbs for that matter. I only counted calories and fat because I thought that was all that mattered. Boy was I wrong; unfortunately, it was not until I developed diabetes that I found I was wrong. That’s why I cringe when someone tells me “Oh I do not count my sugar” see to them (and most people) if you do not eat cakes, cookies, candy bars, pies, etc you are not really eating sugar. My friends I am sorry to say that you are so wrong on this one.

Having said that let me start telling the truth about GREEK yogurt. Although, this is true about all yogurts, but I will just talk about GREEK.

Ok, I can almost see your faces, yogurt is good for us! Well, yes you are right, but it is the yogurt that is good for you, all of the added crap is not and that is what makes it bad, They put this extra stuff in it so it will taste super good and you will inturn buy it, because the word Yogurt is seared in our brains of being healthy. The same as we think a bagel is also good for us, when it’s loaded with carbs that turn into sugar in our bodies.

Here are the cold hard facts: (you can also see it at http://www.dannon.com/greek/)

5.3oz container of Dannon plain greek yogurt has:

Calories – 80
    Fat – 0
    Carbs – 6 grams
    Sugar – 6 grams
    Protien – 15 grams

5.3oz container of Dannon Honey Greek Yogurt has

Calories: 140
    Fat – 0
    Carbs – 23 grams
    Sugar – 21 grams
    Protein – 12 grams

As you can see it’s a no brainer that the plain is the best for you, not just because you are on a diet but because of the sugar and carbs. See everyone there are 4 grams of sugar in a teaspoon. So that means while you are eating the Dannon Honey GREEK Yogurt it is the same thing as eating 5.25 teaspoons of sugar! Would you just sit there and eat that much sugar on purpose? Guess what?? A plain Hershey bar has 26 grams of carbs and 24 grams of sugar! So basically, when you eat the honey, pineapple or any other then the plain you are eating the same amount of sugars and carbs then a Hershey bar. (http://www.hersheys.com/pure-products/hersheys-milk-chocolate-bar/standard-bar.aspx)

Not to mention the carbs also break down as sugar in our bodies.

See I have learned by taking classes about nutrition that they send you to when you are diabetic that sugar is sugar, no matter if it’s simple or natural. Your pancreas does not know the difference.

These extra carbs and sugars are not just in the honey GREEK yogurt, it is in all yogurts flavored with fruit or other junk. That is not natural fruit, I mean read the ingredients. When you eat the blueberry, are you trying to tell me that the jelly looking stuff around the blueberry is natural?

OK, now that I have that out of the way I wanted to explain what I do and how versatile plain GREEK yogurt is. Yes, it has a bite to it just like sour cream, so use it like it, in your recipes that call for any sour cream. You will be adding wonderful protein.

I add a teaspoon of Stevia that’s all natural and no calories. You can use Splenda as well. Then I will add my own fresh fruit if I want fruit in it. If I want something a little different I will add some MIO and that is wonderful in it! Since GREEK yogurt is so thick and creamy you can flavor it with stevia & vanilla extract to make a healthy cake icing, There are plenty of recipes for healthy low carb/sugar cakes.

Ditch the salad dressing or veggie dip! I cannot tell you enough how filling this even is because of the protein, but take you a 5.3oz container of plain GREEK yogurt and add some dill or the seasoning you want. The spice isle has so many different flavors now, like chipotle, Italian, etc. this is wonderful people!!

I say play around with different flavors; they have so many spices & extracts out there that will add no extra calories, carbs or sugars. In fact I am enjoying my strawberry/pomegranate yogurt now, flavored with MIO :glasses:

The title of your post made me think you were criticising ALL Greek yogurts. Now I see you just mean the flavoured ones. Phew! I LOVE natural Greek yogurt and it's great in moderation. Yum yum.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the flavored and sugared yogarts not just Greek. For that much sugar you might as well eat ice cream.

I think your rant brings out the importance of reading foods labels. There is hidden sugar in many processed foods. Thanks for your post.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Same goes for you. I'm not making this into some silly debate.

"US yogurt producer Chobani has lost a court case in the UK over the “misleading” labeling of its Greek yogurts.

Following a seven-day trial, which was initiated by a complaint from Greek rival Fage, Chobani was told by a High Court judge that the labeling on its product was “confusing” for UK consumers.

Mr Justice Briggs granted a permanent injunction and said Fage had succeeded in its claim to “restrain Chobani from passing off its American-made yogurt in England and Wales under the description Greek yogurt”."

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2013/03/28/us-chobani-loses-court-case-in-uk-sorry-youre-not-greek-yogurt/

From everything I've seen about the case that you reference, Chobani had a problem not because of the ingredients or the way the yogurt is made, but because of WHERE the yogurt is made. They've had no such issues here in the U.S. and both Chobani and Fage are labeled as Greek yogurt.

Regardless, folks can read the ingredients & decide for themselves what they want to eat. :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Mio has that God awful artificial sweetener in it so it's not much better for you and when it comes to making a choice for the greek yogurts, don't choose the honey one, of course that one will have more sugar. I'm eating the Fage with Strawberry right now and it's got 16g of sugar. Sure that is more than your other yogurt but it's not enough for me to freak out about.

Also look at the amount of sugars that are in your fresh fruits... about the same amount that's in this yogurt and people survive if not thrive on 80/10/10 fruitarian diets. I'm not saying that I agree with it but they do somehow do it. I just think that everything in moderation is the key and certainly 16g of sugar in this yogurt for a normal person isn't too much.

thank you! i posted something too about the ingredients found in mio, many which are hard to pronounce. and tasty artificial coloring to, mmmm mmmm mmmm. just add some real fruit to plain yogurt, sheesh
  • peachfigs
    Options

Same goes for you. I'm not making this into some silly debate.

From everything I've seen about the case that you reference, Chobani had a problem not because of the ingredients or the way the yogurt is made, but because of WHERE the yogurt is made. They've had no such issues here in the U.S. and both Chobani and Fage are labeled as Greek yogurt.

Regardless, folks can read the ingredients & decide for themselves what they want to eat. :)

Absolutely, I eat Greek style & Greek yogurt. Both are tasty, even if the latter is my favourite.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of it because it's like flogging a dead horse and I know better.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Dannon light and fit?
    It only has 80 calories, 8 carbs, 12 protein, and 6 sugar. Plus, it tastes great!
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going to have to hunt you down and kill you because I do love the Greek yogurt. Your comments were well-stated. I just add fresh fruit or a tablespoon of sugar-free jam AKA preserved fruit if I want sweetness. Dairy in some form is helpful (didn't say essential because someone will challenge that) and the Greek does it for me. We have to read the labels.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I cant' recall the Greek yogurts I get, but I treid a bunch of them. Some taste so dang chalky.
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    Never thought to flavor it with MIO. Brilliant!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on the rest of it because it's like flogging a dead horse and I know better.

I was actually thinking that we might be debating semantics more than anything. Could be terminology differences too if we're on opposite sides of the pond. :)

And BTW, I meant the opinion comment in jest, but it probably didn't come across the screen pixels that way despite the attached ;-) ... Apologies if so.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about splenda and stevia. I did make this today and enjoyed it .
    One sccop fage greek yogart
    1 tbsp high quality cocoa powder
    1 tsp honey
    sea salt to taste
    It had the texture of Chocolate mousse and was satisfying. If there is extra sugar to be put into food I Iike to do it.
    The 6 grams of sugar in plain yogart is from the natural sugar that is in milk.
  • peachfigs
    Options

I was actually thinking that we might be debating semantics more than anything. Could be terminology differences too if we're on opposite sides of the pond. :)

And BTW, I meant the opinion comment in jest, but it probably didn't come across the screen pixels that way despite the attached ;-) ... Apologies if so.

You're probably right, it's okay!

I'm looking at the ingredients in the Chobani plain right now, and it's not as bad as I thought. I guess I'll let you off on that one. I think I dismissed it as "Greek Style" because the majority of their yogurts have a pool of fruit puree at the bottom and added flavouring which ruins the concept of it for me.

The rest of the stuff in our UK supermarkets though, like Oikos, Yeo Valley, Muller, etc. is not Greek though. It tastes vaguely like it but it's still full of rubbish. :wink:
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    MIO is crap.
    I touted it until I started to notice how it reacts with water and the stains it leaves behind..notice it makes the water kinda "climb" the sides of the glass when you drink it? That is a chemical reaction happening and since I am not a chemist who can explain it I stay awy from it and caution others away from it.

And Fage 0% from Costco is BOMB and not crap like those others listed.

I've never used mio, so I haven't seen water kinda "climb" the sides of the glass, but I can pretty well assure you that what you're describing is due to a physical change and not a chemical reaction.

I'm not suggesting mio is good, but since you're not a chemist and clearly don't know much about chemistry, you should probably stop advising people about that kind of thing.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

This. Greek yoghurt, GREEK (why was it written in caps like that??) style yoghurt, yoghurt yoghurt.... no added sugar = good, added sugar = bad.

I just had to read this thread because Greek yoghurt is one of my great food loves, thick, tangy, filling & DAMN DELICIOUS, & I wanted to know why anybody would be hating on it. BTW, adding heaps of sugar, honey, other sweeteners or artificial sweeteners does not a healthy yoghurt make.
  • peachfigs
    Options

This. Greek yoghurt, GREEK (why was it written in caps like that??) style yoghurt, yoghurt yoghurt.... no added sugar = good, added sugar = bad.

I just had to read this thread because Greek yoghurt is one of my great food loves, thick, tangy, filling & DAMN DELICIOUS, & I wanted to know why anybody would be hating on it. BTW, adding heaps of sugar, honey, other sweeteners or artificial sweeteners does not a healthy yoghurt make.

Yeah, agreed. Especially as the 'honey' people put on their fake Greek yogurt isn't what real honey tastes like anyway. It's still honey, but a sort of processed, sugary version of it. But hey, that's a different post!

I think Greek yogurt is great as a salad dressing! Is that weird!?
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I think Greek yogurt is great as a salad dressing! Is that weird!?

Reading this whole post was worth it, because now I am going to try using Greek yogurt as salad dressing! Thanks!
  • alisa1958
    alisa1958 Posts: 16
    Options
    Well you are on the right track. Many people think all yogurts are created equally. That can
    not be farther from the truth. I, myself, eat the Chobani Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt with only
    9 grams of sugar in a serving. I add a couple of spoonfuls of Activia Light Vanilla Yogurt
    and then I add fresh fruit (mostly sliced banana and fresh strawberries). I then
    top it with Go Lean Kashi Cereal as my "granola" , but more healthy.

The bottom line is you have to check the sugar grams in yogurt. Some small containers
    have as much as 30 plus grams of sugar.................that is how many teaspoons, to many

Yogurt is starting to get a bad rap because of all the sugar that is put in them.

Bottom line: choose Greek plain yogurt only to start with and never buy yogurt that is flavored
    or have "fruit" in it.

I find Chobani PLAIN non fat greek yogurt the LOWEST sugar of ALL the yogurts and believe
    me I have checked them ALL.