My GREEK Yogurt RANT!!! Please read this

Options
123457»

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I think Greek yogurt is great as a salad dressing! Is that weird!?

Reading this whole post was worth it, because now I am going to try using Greek yogurt as salad dressing! Thanks!

Add some lemon juice, and herbs like basil, parsley, coriander, or whatever you like, and mix it up. Makes a gorgeous dressing. :flowerforyou:

You can even put it in the blender with some raspberries and make a raspberry dressing. Tastes great with feta cheese.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    ?
    Anything with honey in it is going to be high in sugar...and therefore in carbs...I don't get it...
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ?
    Anything with honey in it is going to be high in sugar...and therefore in carbs...I don't get it...

Right? I skimmed the post, but all I got out of it was that things that are sweetened have more sugar than things that are unsweetened.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

Reading this whole post was worth it, because now I am going to try using Greek yogurt as salad dressing! Thanks!

Add some lemon juice, and herbs like basil, parsley, coriander, or whatever you like, and mix it up. Makes a gorgeous dressing. :flowerforyou:

You can even put it in the blender with some raspberries and make a raspberry dressing. Tastes great with feta cheese.

That sounds really good... I was also thinking dill, because I LOVE it! Thanks again
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

That sounds really good... I was also thinking dill, because I LOVE it! Thanks again

Greek yoghurt + chopped cucumber = tzatziki, de-frikkin-licious on greek salad, with lamb, on salad wraps, as a dip, I could go on (and on, and on...).
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    idk about Greek yogurt (can't find one with the carb count i want!) but i do eat White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt from Whole Foods. it's milk and culture...that's pretty much it. no additives or preservatives. it takes some getting used to (kind of tangy) but it is excellent. i make panna cotta and cheesecakes from mine. ^_^

edit:
    the whole milk version: grade a pasteurized whole milk, live cultures (l. acidolphilus, l.bulgaricus, s. thermophilus, b. bifidum)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If that's the only sugar I get everyday then for me it doesn't matter. I don't eat fake sugar, I only have natural sugar in my fruit. Oh well to each his own.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I find Chobani PLAIN non fat greek yogurt the LOWEST sugar of ALL the yogurts and believe
    me I have checked them ALL.

Check out Siggi (it's not Greek of course) or, if you can find it, Wallaby.

Siggi has 0.75g of sugar per oz. and Wallaby has 0.67g of sugar per oz., while Chobani's got 1.17g of sugar per oz.

The spreadsheet that I linked above has the details, but these two might be worth checking out if you really like the yogurt more tart or you're really looking to reduce sugar. :)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    This thread is long so I may have missed this. My recommendation would be Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt. Still the 2x protein, low carbs. I am also diabetic and it's really great for my sugar-levels. It also tastes good.

Good luck!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i pile cinnamon in my greek yogurt
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    so your saying the plain stuff with no additives is better for you than the flavored ones with all kinds of flavored sugars....genius! That is why you always read the labels BEFORE you buy something...

mission accomplished...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If that's the only sugar I get everyday then for me it doesn't matter. I don't eat fake sugar, I only have natural sugar in my fruit. Oh well to each his own.

and your body somehow flips a switch and knows when you eat "fake" vs "real" sugar....
  • staceydegraff
    Options
    Great Info! Thanks