"Starvation." (All opinions wanted!)

Options
Do you (personally) think that it would be more detrimental to a person's health to eat only 500 calories per day, and no exercise OR to eat 1200 calories per day, and burn off 700 through exercise? (Both would leave a 500 calorie NET for the day.) Assume this person has a typically sedetary lifestyle.

Opinions (backed by research, or NOT) appreciated!

Apparently it needs to be stated AGAIN: This is hypothetical. This is not meant to speak of any person specifically. This is not MY plan for loss.

Replies

• 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    if I had to choose, I'd say 1200 calories with the 700 burn would be better then the straight 500.... At least the 1200 is getting some kind of nutrients. 1200 calories net would be even better.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Pshhh...Pants to both..PANTS!!!! :grumble:
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The 1200 is the bare minimum to let your body survive and stay out of starvation! Even if you do the 700 calories exercise and you don't eat them you are going to lose weight more slowly as you will not have the body resources to actually build the muscle necessary to burn fat.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Can I be blunt if I tell you that I am not trying to be mean or rude? OK...I think that ANYONE eating 500 net calories a day is a fool. You cannot survive in any healthy manner on that amount of fuel. You are starting your body. I know this because I am 54 years old and have been on almost EVERY type of diet out there and have spent hours and hours with nutritionists and dieticians learning about how to eat and, until now, not being good at doing what I learned.

If you want to lose weight, and think you should eat only 500 calories, get a doctor's opinion. I mean it. Your life is important. If you have a 1200 calorie goal and exercise 700 calories off, you should be eating back the 700 calories because 1200 is the MINIMUM you should be eating in order to lose the right kind of weight. Otherwise, you may very well get to your goal, but as soon as you resume eating a "normal" diet, you will gain it back and probably be less healthy in the long run.

I am honestly trying to support you, just being concerned about your health.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am honestly trying to support you, just being concerned about your health.

This has nothing to do with ME.

As I said, it was just opinions wanted.

I am not the person in question, thank you for your concern.
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Everyone's starvation Calories are different but typically 500 is the starvation line, you could do this for a week or two but really no longer then that without permanent damage to your metabolism.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You want to burn it off since you're sedentary. Remember, your body adjusts. So if you living off 500 calories, and weight loss is your goal, a rude awakening comes when you realize that your muscle is gone, and now you have that flabby skinny look. Better to eat up and burn than not too.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Everyone's starvation Calories are different but typically 500 is the starvation line, you could do this for a week or two but really no longer then that without permanent damage to your metabolism.

Ummmm..yeah..so since WHEN has 500 calories been the starvation line????
  • epeebes
    epeebes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1200 plus 700 burned with exercise. I need food to function whether its to exercise or do daily tasks. 500 cals is not enough to eat for a day! I don't believe your net calories have to be 1200 or you'll starve. When you are hungry you know you are hungry. I personally gained weight not through feeding my hunger but through my affection for loving to taste food. I can eat when not hungry just for something tasty. Yes I was a Glutton. :blushing:
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY, its just like losing blood your body gets deprived of certain vitamins that are essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle/body etc. I shall be dissapointed with you if you go the 500 cal per day route. Add me as a friend I'll give you support to lose the weight in a healthy manner.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You are asking for the lesser of the evils? Eat 1200 at least gives you a few more nutrients, so that's the best option if those are the only two options of what I hope is just a hypothetical question.

If this is in fact about a real person, there is a psychological problem underlying what is self-destructive behavior. They should seek medical advice and assistance in overcoming what would seem to me to be an eating disorder.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well, it is pick your poison. With 1200 at least your body is getting more nourishment but eventually you will get weak and pass out from fatigue and possibly injure yourself. Then there is 500 and you just are fatigued and can't move ... hair starts to fall out and you waste away. Hmmmmmm. So the question is do you want to be conscious or unconscious while your body shuts down?
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Ummmm..yeah..so since WHEN has 500 calories been the starvation line????

I said that wrong or didn't say enough! I was treated for an eating disorder when I was younger and they would call 500 calories the "danger zone" or the "starvation line" and you couldn't eat below that or you would get sent back to treatment! I by no means think that is healthy or safe I know that your body doesn't get enough nutrition if you eat under 1200 calories. I also said that that is not a sustainable way of eating. I guess I didn't word my statement very well. You CAN eat 500 calories a day but not for long periods of time, It would be healthier to eat 1200 calories a day and burn 700 but people really should have a net calories of 1200!
  • overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that replied! [:
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't advocate how I work but it gets results. I have lost 1-4lbs per week, every week, for 5 months, despite being a normal weight and it has come from fat not muscle. I am posting to disprove starvation mode in my body not to tell anyone to eat like this. Also I never deny myself food when hungry and I don't care about net calories, I just try really hard to eat 1000 and exercise as much as I feel like doing.

I eat usually 900-1200 per day. I burn 200-500. I don't eat anything back.

Disclaimer: I have EDNOS so it's not a mentally stable eating pattern.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Definitely eating 1200 and burning 700. I used to do that every day and it's a lot more sustainable than just eating 500 in my experience. You get a lot more nutrition if you eat the additional 700cals - that is a HUGE meal that could be filled with all sorts of vitamins, minerals, fats and proteins. Eating 500 makes you woozy, fainty and really lethargic, but burning 700 is an hour or two of exercise and as long as you eat enough carbs, you can probably stick at it for quite some time (although mental fatigue from constant exercise will definitely eventually wear you down if you don't collapse first). Not that either option is sensible as a weight loss strategy, but still.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Anybody else wanna put in their two cents?
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Anybody else wanna put in their two cents?

I know you said it was hypothetical, but I figured I would add my experience:
    When I was a teenager I heard on TV that nicole richie got slim by eating only 500kcals a day, so I wrote up a diary and I copied this
    brekkie: porridge with water and multivitamins
    lunch 50kcal light cupasoup
    dinner: fish fillet and salad
    EVERY SINGLE DAY for 2 months
    plus i used to go to the gym and only pay for one class but stick around all day doing up to four classes a day til I thought I was going to faint.
    I lost 28lbs in the first month and then it slowed down to 14lbs the next month.
    Everyone told me I looked too skiny but I still wasnt satisfied and I still wanted to lose another 14lbs.
    When I plateaud I stopped eating and drinking altogether and became anemic with my mum pushing me to the doctors every week with bruises and my hair falling out.
    I never really considered myself to have an ED though
    Within 1 year I gained back SEVENTY POUNDS and was heavier than when I started in the first place!!!
    Sooooooo .... these are just my two cents LOL!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hush... Thus is purely and simply a PERSONAL observation/experience. Until the last 2 weeks, I've been regularly eating my Mfp calorie quota for the day, about 1,300 cals a day. I also exercised pretty much about 500-1000 calories worth of exercise with my diet, and occasional year a couple hundred or so of my exercise cals on top of my minimum 1300 food calories. Yes, I dropped weight and also had a fierce appetite but stuck at the numbers I quoted, losing approx 1 to 2 lbs a week, not the 2 lbs Mfp projected, which didn't and still dosn't bother me one little bit simply because I'm eating and exercising regularly as I too have a fairly sedentary job where I drive a lot and walk very little....

HOWEVER.....

All that has changed the last 2 weeks as I have had a recurrence of the most intense and chronic pain I've ever had... Simply insufferable . My doctor put me on a condition of pain killers, anti-depressants that are muscle relxants at low doses and advised me to I'm dearly STOP doing any exercise whatsoever, not even gentle walking. However, the drugs have completely supressed my appetite and even if I'm hungry the mere thought of food made me feel nauseous and sick, so all id eat in a day is maybe a bowl of cereal and a small piece of fruit. As a result, I have dropped 5 lbs in weight in LESS than one week, and whilst the scale worshippers amongst us would be throwing parties and doing cartwheels, I actually felt the complete opposite, and my body is now in a constant state of extreme fatigue and pain and I'm actually FORCING my self to eat as much as possible, completely ignoring mfp's guidelines and calorie counts.

Guess what I am trying to say is that eating nothing or stupidly small amounts of food whether you exercise or not is every bit as dangerous, if not more so thanthe diet people who eat 5000 calories a day without exercising have. Food is fuel . Our body is a Ferrari . If you want to take your Ferrari on a long road trip and only fill it up with a few drops of nasty generic branded gas, you will not only not get anywhere near your destination, but also do incredible damage to your Ferrari ... Whose parts, much like our own body parts need to be maintained and are almost impossible to repair.

Food us important, and so is exercise. The science if making the right combination if the 2 isn't difficult.... But it's insanity to starve wilfully .

Sorry about the rant, but I'd give ANYTHING to regain my appetite back and to exercise again because I know my body is going to hell in a handbasket right now.

Love always ,

Dee