"Starvation." (All opinions wanted!)

Options

Replies

• portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't most vegeterians lose their muscles, and put on some bodyfat, so they're in starvation mode?!?!?!
    Only the ones who eat badly, just like meat-eaters who eat badly...

Yes and "most" vegeterians eat badly. They usually stuff their face with high carb food and sodas.
    Right because eating meat per se makes you so much more healthy. I am not a vegetarian but what a load of crap.

I would pick meat over carbs any day.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You mean you'd pick protein over carbs any day? Since when can vegetarians not eat protein? Protein can be found in plenty of other foods too.
    Me? I'd pick a balanced diet (i.e., both carbs *and* protein) over carbs *or* protein any day.
  • portexploit
    Options
    You mean you'd pick protein over carbs any day? Since when can vegetarians not eat protein? Protein can be found in plenty of other foods too.
    Me? I'd pick a balanced diet (i.e., both carbs *and* protein) over carbs *or* protein any day.

I do an alkalarian diet, it's mostly green vegetables, and some hemp protein i take too. Yes there are a ton of amino acids in vegetables.

If I had to pick to eat one, meat or complex carbs, i'd eat meat.
  • nosugarcoating
    Options
    Well, luckily, we don't have to pick just one.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    There's a couple things wrong with this post. The OP asks if we *personally* think one is better than the other, then asks for research. It wouldn't be personal if there were research involved... just saying

second, someone mentioned 800 calorie diets for obese people. The OP says this isn't about her, but I'm willing to bet that whoever it is about isn't obese. any 800 calorie a day diet would be used under doctor supervision for someone morbidly obese. not someone who needs to lose a few pounds. It sounds like disordered eating.

thirdly, either way you pick, it's disordered eating. so it's not an answer but i pick neither. someone who isn't morbidly obese doesn't need to be limiting their intake/net to 500 calories a day.

that's my two cents.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'd say 1200 with a high exercise burn is better. The reason being is ATLEAST the peron ate enough to survive and even was willing to move around... If they are typically sedentary that means that there will be more days with just 1200 eaten then not so I would go with that more. At least its sustainable for a lot longer than 500 a day which will do some horrible damage to your internal organs.

If they are exercising EVERY DAY and only eating 1200 well, that will NOT last long... eventually they will eat more or exercise less. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Both are detrimental, however I would always pick a diet that includes exercise over one that doesn't.
  • jklmum
    jklmum Posts: 27
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents! My mil eats only around 700 cals a day, yes she has lost a ton of weight, BUT...about 3 years ago she hurt her back at work and is still off on disability because it won't heal (she's been through intensive physio, tried almost everything), I am convinced that her back is not getting better because she doesn't have enough nutrients in her body to heal herself after her body burns what it needs to just to stay alive.
    Of course this is just my personal opinion and there is nothing scientific behind it. If anyone knows of any info to support my theory i'd love to hear it. maybe then I could get her to listen and quit starving herself and living in pain!
    So, in reply to the first poster I would say eat 1200, burn what you need to. At least you've got the nutrients in the body to start with!
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There is a group of people who do this thing CRON - Calorie Restriction/Optimal Nutrition. I read about it a long time ago and I don't know if they are still around, but they restrict calories (I can't remember how much) to be like these CRON mice that lived a super long time in an experiment (hoping that humans will be like the mice). They restrict calories quite a lot but they don't eat junk food, they control the nutrition in their diet quite strictly, and I think they don't really believe in eating a whole bunch just to burn it off.

I thought I'd put it out there, it's just another way of doing things... (it seems pretty extreme to me - not an easy or fun path).
  • nosugarcoating
    Options
    There's a couple things wrong with this post. The OP asks if we *personally* think one is better than the other, then asks for research. It wouldn't be personal if there were research involved... just saying

second, someone mentioned 800 calorie diets for obese people. The OP says this isn't about her, but I'm willing to bet that whoever it is about isn't obese. any 800 calorie a day diet would be used under doctor supervision for someone morbidly obese. not someone who needs to lose a few pounds. It sounds like disordered eating.

thirdly, either way you pick, it's disordered eating. so it's not an answer but i pick neither. someone who isn't morbidly obese doesn't need to be limiting their intake/net to 500 calories a day.

that's my two cents.
    This.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Anybody else wanna put in their two cents?

I know you said it was hypothetical, but I figured I would add my experience:
    When I was a teenager I heard on TV that nicole richie got slim by eating only 500kcals a day, so I wrote up a diary and I copied this
    brekkie: porridge with water and multivitamins
    lunch 50kcal light cupasoup
    dinner: fish fillet and salad
    EVERY SINGLE DAY for 2 months
    plus i used to go to the gym and only pay for one class but stick around all day doing up to four classes a day til I thought I was going to faint.
    I lost 28lbs in the first month and then it slowed down to 14lbs the next month.
    Everyone told me I looked too skiny but I still wasnt satisfied and I still wanted to lose another 14lbs.
    When I plateaud I stopped eating and drinking altogether and became anemic with my mum pushing me to the doctors every week with bruises and my hair falling out.
    I never really considered myself to have an ED though
    Within 1 year I gained back SEVENTY POUNDS and was heavier than when I started in the first place!!!
    Sooooooo .... these are just my two cents LOL!

The above has been close to my experience. Stress and feeling like I am not getting results make me starve myself. I do get thinner, and then I quickly gain it back when I eat normally again.

I'd rather shed slower and look better / feel better.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Don't most vegeterians lose their muscles, and put on some bodyfat, so they're in starvation mode?!?!?!

Yes and "most" vegeterians eat badly. They usually stuff their face with high carb food and sodas.

What kind of vegetarians do you know? I've met a total of TWO who were like that. Everyone else is much more normal. I feel like meat-eaters are a larger population, and therefore more statistically likely to be junk food addicts.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options

What kind of vegetarians do you know? I've met a total of TWO who were like that. Everyone else is much more normal. I feel like meat-eaters are a larger population, and therefore more statistically likely to be junk food addicts.

Love this!

My BIL in a vegan. We cannot believe it! When I met him 5 years ago he was overweight, would never touch veg and lived on meat and carbs and high fat foods. He went veggie first and then vegan. He is so much healthier and is definitely not the junk food addict you seem to think 'most' veggies/vegans are.
    Also a lot of my friends are veggies and my god are they skinny :wink: Also a lot healthy and eat a well balanced diet. Probably a better diet than me who eats meat. However, I am in the UK so maybe its different in the US? But I doubt it :wink:
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options

that's my two cents.

Totally agree :smile:
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Wow yeah as a vegan I assure you I hardly ever eat horribly, I avoid simple carbs and get plenty of protein in the foods I eat. I have increased my muscle mass and loss a ton of body fat. Keeping in mind I am coming from a heavy meat low carb diet, not the bad meats but fish, grilled chicken and the like. I feel a hundred times better since I have switched to veganism I cannot explain how great I feel, the energy I have, and the amazing difference I have in life now.

The protein myth is one that I always get fed up with as it is incredibly easy to get protein with superfoods such as beans: here is a chart from "The Kind Diet"

chrt2.jpg
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    if I had to choose, I'd say 1200 calories with the 700 burn would be better then the straight 500.... At least the 1200 is getting some kind of nutrients. 1200 calories net would be even better.

Ditto to this. That's why I eat back all of those delicious, nutrient-packed exercise cals. Food has more to it than just calories though; it depends what you're eating. There's a difference between marshmallows vs. salmon. ;)
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The exercise option would be better, since it would help maintain muscle mass and cardiovascular function. I think 500 net is probably too low for most folks, regardless, however.
  • portexploit
    Options

Wow yeah as a vegan I assure you I hardly ever eat horribly, I avoid simple carbs and get plenty of protein in the foods I eat. I have increased my muscle mass and loss a ton of body fat. Keeping in mind I am coming from a heavy meat low carb diet, not the bad meats but fish, grilled chicken and the like. I feel a hundred times better since I have switched to veganism I cannot explain how great I feel, the energy I have, and the amazing difference I have in life now.

The protein myth is one that I always get fed up with as it is incredibly easy to get protein with superfoods such as beans: here is a chart from "The Kind Diet"

chrt2.jpg

Spinach has more amino acids than a steak.
  • Ughhhh_
    Ughhhh_ Posts: 12
    Options
    . When you are hungry you know you are hungry. I personally gained weight not through feeding my hunger but through my affection for loving to taste food. I can eat when not hungry just for something tasty. Yes I was a Glutton. :blushing:

Saaame here. I adore the taste and (as weird as THIS sounds) the feeling of swallowing the food xD Maybe I'm an odd person????

In short, if food were a man, I'd marry it. No if's and's or but's.
  • portexploit
    Options

This goes back to "what is healthy?" Of course each person would say "my diet is the healthiest and best"
    I am against breads, grains, pastas, rice, even fruit.