New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Push-ups - body weight, 4 risers on step bench

What kind of pushups are you doing - incline or decline? I found that regular pushups weren't challenging anymore so I started putting my feet up on my step up risers and doing it that way. I also started doing the T-pushups as shown in the book and I was sore for 2 days! I am going to stick with those.

hahahahahahahahaha! Pardon me while I laugh hysterically! ;o)

I'm doing incline pushups, I think it'll be awhile before I'm doing decline or T-pushups! But then again, I haven't even looked at the future stages yet, so maybe not! Good on you!

I'm glad I was able to give you a good laugh today! Those T-pushups are tough but you'll get there. I've been doing pushups for a while because Jillian Michaels does them in all her dvds. I can do about 20 regular ones without too much effort. Any more than that my arms start wobbling.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I did the decline until the last stage when you are supposed to do 4 sets of 20. I am now shaking/crying when I get to number 12 of the last set. 30 seconds rest is a blip between sets!
  • idauria
    Options
    When do you do 4 sets of 20? I don't remember seeing that as part of stage 1. Sounds brutal!
  • Steph70508
    Options
    bump
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Idauria, you don't have to worry about it until the last stage (7) and then it turns into a high-rep-fest!
  • idauria
    Options
    Idauria, you don't have to worry about it until the last stage (7) and then it turns into a high-rep-fest!

Ok, good. I won't worry about it until then! I'm just taking it one stage at a time.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this thread! I read the book and started the workouts two weeks ago and tomorrow I'll be starting week 3 of level 1. I had been lifting for a while but really didn't know if I was doing the right thing. It feels weird to be doing only 5 moves in a workout and resting for so long (I used to record my weight workouts as circuit training because I barely rested between sets). My biceps have shrunk because I'm not doing bicep curls anymore, but in general I think I'm getting a good workout. I like the intervals a lot - I did a 5k this week and saw a tremendous difference in my time even though I hadn't run that distance in a while.

I have questions about the calorie amounts in the book. I'd been following the guidance of eating the maintenance calories of my goal weight to create a deficit, which put me at about 2100 calories per day. Since my age and BMI (41, and 32) put me into a different category, the book's formulas put me at 1700 a day, 1900 when I work out. I've gained weight, though, even though I'm eating less, and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I feel like I'm working out less (though I'm finally doing it correctly, form and weight wise) but also eating less and it's confusing. I'm focused on trying to go from 27% BF to 18%, which is about 20 pounds of fat to lose. Am I retaining water or am I actually putting on weight?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this thread! I read the book and started the workouts two weeks ago and tomorrow I'll be starting week 3 of level 1. I had been lifting for a while but really didn't know if I was doing the right thing. It feels weird to be doing only 5 moves in a workout and resting for so long (I used to record my weight workouts as circuit training because I barely rested between sets). My biceps have shrunk because I'm not doing bicep curls anymore, but in general I think I'm getting a good workout. I like the intervals a lot - I did a 5k this week and saw a tremendous difference in my time even though I hadn't run that distance in a while.

I have questions about the calorie amounts in the book. I'd been following the guidance of eating the maintenance calories of my goal weight to create a deficit, which put me at about 2100 calories per day. Since my age and BMI (41, and 32) put me into a different category, the book's formulas put me at 1700 a day, 1900 when I work out. I've gained weight, though, even though I'm eating less, and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I feel like I'm working out less (though I'm finally doing it correctly, form and weight wise) but also eating less and it's confusing. I'm focused on trying to go from 27% BF to 18%, which is about 20 pounds of fat to lose. Am I retaining water or am I actually putting on weight?

First off, I hate having to quote! I'll be happy when they reformat the message boards so you know when someone's replied to you, etc.

Okay, off my soapbox. I think a lot of people who start NROLFW gain weight at first. For every post I've read where someone has gained a couple/few pounds, they come back later and say it's gone. Maybe it's water weight from muscle repair. But to really know for sure, how have your eating habits changed? You say you're eating less, are you eating more processed foods, or just less of what you were eating before you started the program?
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting Phase 1 Week 5 but I've already noticed progress that I cant help but share:

Work Out 1/Work Out 5
    Bench Press (yes i know its not included but i felt like seeing what i'd increased my strength to): 45 lb bar/ 75 lbs
    Squats: 45 lb bar/ 115 lbs

I cant get over how much I increased those two lifts in just a month's time. My weight is about a pound less and i've lost several inches. I LOVE this program!!! I'll post a full update with pictures and stats once i complete phase one in 2 weeks!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You say you're eating less, are you eating more processed foods, or just less of what you were eating before you started the program?

I have been eating mostly unprocessed food, trying to eat lean protein at every meal - though I struggled to get enough in and still stay within my calorie goals, so I just recently added protein powder. When I reduced the calories I just ate less of what I was doing before. I'm thinking I might need to focus more on getting the protein I need - more like 145 grams if you go with 1g for every pound of lean muscle.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You say you're eating less, are you eating more processed foods, or just less of what you were eating before you started the program?

I have been eating mostly unprocessed food, trying to eat lean protein at every meal - though I struggled to get enough in and still stay within my calorie goals, so I just recently added protein powder. When I reduced the calories I just ate less of what I was doing before. I'm thinking I might need to focus more on getting the protein I need - more like 145 grams if you go with 1g for every pound of lean muscle.

Hi Ruststar - we are close to the same age, although you are much leaner than I am. I am still trying to figure out what calorie level to get to that will allow me to feel like I"m getting enough to eat to fuel my workouts, but still lose. I am not exactly following the books guidelines for food intake, but this strategy worked for me when I tried it: approximately 1700-1800 calories 5 days a week, 2000-2300 calories 2 days a week. 2300 is my maintenance calories for my current weight. I workout 5 days a week. I was previously doing NROLW 3x and cardio 2x, burning about 300 calories for each of those workouts. I lost about 1.5 pounds that week, my average calories for the week was 1955. I usually get between 100-140 grams of protein a day, and my LBM is 140 pounds. I don't know if following that eating schedule caused me to lose too much LBM - I expect some loss of LBM because I am so obese. I've read that it's ok to lose about 25% LBM if you are very obese.

Because I have a lot to lose and feel I can get away with it, I am trying out a more aggressive program this week. We'll see how it goes. I think when you get into the leaner category you have to be a lot more careful with your calories, and eating more is what is going to help you lose. I would say that if following the rules in the NROLW book causes you to gain weight for more than 1 or 2 weeks in a row, you could go back to your old strategy that was working for you. I mean, why would you want to decrease your calories if you were losing just fine eating more? If it ain't broke, don't fix it :).
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I finished my third NROLFW workout, and I definitely need to up my weights! I'm barely sore today, so I'm trying to figure out how hard to push myself and when. I have the disadvantage of only having dumbells to work out with, so I'm going to have to get creative with my squats and deadlifts, where I'm pushing the limits of the available weights I have. Any suggestions?
  • idauria
    Options
    I'll be up to level 1 workout 6A today. I plan on using the 45lb barbell for squats today. Wish me luck!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'll be up to level 1 workout 6A today. I plan on using the 45lb barbell for squats today. Wish me luck!

Good luck. Did you felt it when you started doing 3 sets? I am barely soar anymore but can't up my weights.
  • idauria
    Options

Good luck. Did you felt it when you started doing 3 sets? I am barely soar anymore but can't up my weights.

Oh yeah I feel it! I was definitely feeling it while doing the squats and my legs are a little sore now but not bad enough that I can't walk, lol. I definitely feel them getting stronger. I'll be doing a lot of stretches today.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    anyone get really tired/hungry two days after doing a super hard work out? this is very un-like me...
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    anyone get really tired/hungry two days after doing a super hard work out? this is very un-like me...

Yes!! but for me it's the day after I lift - starving!!

I had the first "bonus" workout of stage 1 yesterday. My legs are KILLING me today. I did 150 squats with 20 pounds.... I probably could've done another 20-30, but I was sweating like a pig, bored and I just kept thinking how sore I was going to be the next day. that's what I get for starting out using only 20 pounds for squats!

I am NOT looking forward to "bonus" workout number 2 tomorrow!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I really need to get myself some glove to lift. My muscles are doing ok but my handa are killing me. For exemple, I am doing step-ups with 25 pounds. I have to stop every 10 rep because my hands can't hold my weights anymore!!!! but my legs are ok.
  • idauria
    Options
    I really need to get myself some glove to lift. My muscles are doing ok but my handa are killing me. For exemple, I am doing step-ups with 25 pounds. I have to stop every 10 rep because my hands can't hold my weights anymore!!!! but my legs are ok.

I'm thinking about getting gloves too. My hands hurt after a while plus I need something to help get a better grip. Sometimes my hands are sweaty and I am afraid the weights will slip out of my hands!