Women strength training... for real

Options

Replies

• cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to lift more than my college boyfriend's roommate, haha. That was awesome! I am hoping to get back to that point someday! Loved the way I looked when I was lifting regularly!
    awww man i would have loved to see his face when u did lift ur weights... priceless!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    @millerll.... simply awesome. Seriously. Thanks for sharing!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Miller, this is definitely inspirational! I had to scroll back and see what the fuss was about. Dang! You rock!

Sooo, who lifts (heavy) with no spotter? What accomodations do you make, if any, in your training? My plan for dealing with this (until I come up with a better plan) is to start out light and practice crazy-perfect form and inch up the weight in incremental amounts. Of course, I plan on benching in the squat rack (this is not annoying like curling in the rack, right?) and practice what to do (the Roll of Shame for bench, for example) if things get sketchy in a lift.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I beat my son in a push-up competition last night. That felt good. He then challenged me to a 'plank' comp, which I also won. He then brought out the hand weights to do biceps curls with, he had 14kgs on which neither of us could curl. I'm not sure why he went straight to 14kgs, but I think he was scared I'd beat him again with anything lighter on. *grin*
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Miller, this is definitely inspirational! I had to scroll back and see what the fuss was about. Dang! You rock!

Sooo, who lifts (heavy) with no spotter? What accomodations do you make, if any, in your training? My plan for dealing with this (until I come up with a better plan) is to start out light and practice crazy-perfect form and inch up the weight in incremental amounts. Of course, I plan on benching in the squat rack (this is not annoying like curling in the rack, right?) and practice what to do (the Roll of Shame for bench, for example) if things get sketchy in a lift.
    I'm just doing deads and squats right now, both in the squat rack. Haven't done bench yet. For the squats I just started light and worked up the lbs. I don't see why you can't do bench in the rack.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I beat my son in a push-up competition last night. That felt good. He then challenged me to a 'plank' comp, which I also won. He then brought out the hand weights to do biceps curls with, he had 14kgs on which neither of us could curl. I'm not sure why he went straight to 14kgs, but I think he was scared I'd beat him again with anything lighter on. *grin*

That's awesome!
  • stroutman81
    Options

I lift damn heavy without a spotter. I use the squat rack for a lot of things, which certainly reduces a degree of risk. If you're really uncomfortable benching with a bar without a spotter, you could rely on dumbbells. That way you can always drop them to the floor. Then again though, a dumbbell could always come crashing down on your face if you don't handle it correctly.... and that's not the sort of nose job most people are looking for.

The bottom line is, I don't really ever lift to failure anymore. I just don't... no real reason to do so. It's fun to test max strength every now and again, but that's not even something I do anymore. My sets are always taken to a point where I'm just shy of technical failure, which means one more rep will likely look sloppy. That also means I have a few more reps in the tank until true muscular failure. Don't get me wrong... these are HEAVY.... especially my work in the 3-6 rep range... but I'm not failing on them.

Secret is to do as you said... start light and gradually work up to the heavy stuff. A) that'll build great motor patterns and B) you'll learn what you can and can't / should and shouldn't handle.
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • kensky
    Options
    Secret is to do as you said... start light and gradually work up to the heavy stuff. A) that'll build great motor patterns and B) you'll learn what you can and can't / should and shouldn't handle.

It was very reassuring to read this! With the squat rack, incremental upping of weights and focus on form, I do feel pretty confident that I can trust my own instincts in lifting as heavy as possible for a good long while.
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Oh my BUMP!!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Glad to see that this thread is still being bumped. Get strong, be strong, look strong ladies!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love to lift heavy, I moved up to 50 pounds dead lifts with a bent over row this week, 20 pound squat and row, and 110 overhead pull. I love the way that lifting has made my arms and my back look. LOVE the weights, love my body now.
  • shaw409
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy for 2 years now and I love it. I love the way my body has changed! I have gained about 15 lbs in the past 2 years but I cut in pants size to a 4 so I am not complaining.

I bench my body weight and have freaky strong legs. You cant tell I lift unless I am flexed. I would post some pics but I am new to this site and I dont know how. :wink:
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Strong is the new skinny. That video is one of my fitness goals. I love lifting weights!
  • deninevi
    Options
    bump
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    bump
  • kensky
    Options
    I'm a good month into Starting Strength and am just now gaining real confidence in my form. Now onto upping the weight! I am pretty psyched that I have workout A to do tomorrow: squat, bench, and deadlift. This is less intimidating to me than my slow progress in mastering the power clean.

In other women lifting heavy news, I upped my calories to 1800 today. I have this crazy idea I'll up it to an even 2000 when I start lifting heavier and adding some assistance work (dips, chins, etc.) come January.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I so needed to see this today! It just made me realize I'm not getting where I really want and I only have myself to blame...I have a personal trainer but he still is not really putting me in the weight room that much... I've been afraid to attempt it on my own, but this really encouraged me. Now I just need to get a good starting routine and work from there.

Thank you for posting!

What does your trainer have you doing, if you don't mind me asking?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm a good month into Starting Strength and am just now gaining real confidence in my form. Now onto upping the weight! I am pretty psyched that I have workout A to do tomorrow: squat, bench, and deadlift. This is less intimidating to me than my slow progress in mastering the power clean.

In other women lifting heavy news, I upped my calories to 1800 today. I have this crazy idea I'll up it to an even 2000 when I start lifting heavier and adding some assistance work (dips, chins, etc.) come January.

I think I love you. :p