Replies

• kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks for posting I recently have started weight training but by no means am I at that level but good to know I shouldn't be afraid to lift a little more each time thanks for sharing very interesting and insightful!
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm a good month into Starting Strength and am just now gaining real confidence in my form. Now onto upping the weight! I am pretty psyched that I have workout A to do tomorrow: squat, bench, and deadlift. This is less intimidating to me than my slow progress in mastering the power clean.

In other women lifting heavy news, I upped my calories to 1800 today. I have this crazy idea I'll up it to an even 2000 when I start lifting heavier and adding some assistance work (dips, chins, etc.) come January.

I wanna be just like you when I grow up! :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Wow. This thread is still alive! I haven't read through it all, but I finally found a gym in SF that I want to join so I'll have access to a weight room again. Plan on starting StrongLifts 5x5 after the holidays (I'll be out of town for basically all of December).

I just spent the past 15 minutes or so watching videos of women dead lifting 200-300lbs. These ladies were TINY, too. I wish I could make every woman who so much as utters the word "bulky" watch them.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You and me both. I'm glad you'll be hitting the weights. FOR REAL.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love this thread- great read, thanks for posting!!!! x
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Nice vid.

I agree with you totally. I am not really good at weight training, but when I stick to it -- I trim and tone. And look great. I must get back to it!
  • dodie62
    dodie62 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Nice vid.

I agree with you totally. I am not really good at weight training, but when I stick to it -- I trim and tone. And look great. I must get back to it!

What do you mean you're not good at it?
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump-for later reading

Thanks!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Check out Girls Gone Strong on FB http://www.facebook.com/GirlsGoneStrong
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    "The kicker is... in my experience, in order to reach the physique that many women are shooting for... they need to be picking up heavy stuff and putting it back down. "

YES YES YES! Reading this post makes me so happy :) I really wish we could just debunk the myth that power lifting will make us look like men. Men have way more testosterone, and even they aren't going to get big overnight. Women just don't really bulk up like that, and the ones that do are eating and training purposefully for it in a very specific manner (and likely on steroids...)

I highly recommend this article: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

I am constantly reposting and sharing it, but it seriously changed my entire perspective and health and fitness. Yay for strong women :)

I started lifting in August, and could seriously barely lift the olympic bar over my head, and it only weighs 35lbs. Three months later, I am now dead lifting more than my body weight, shoulder pressing half my body weight, and approaching my bodyweight in my back squat! I have a long way to go, but I love looking back and seeing how much progress I've already made in such a short time.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Amen to that. It took a lot of courage for me to start using the barbell, but I haven't looked back since. I will say that doing squats has changed the profile of my backside, haha :)

Wow!! I just found this thread! This was a GREAT video! I feel like a weakling at the gym, but this video gives me hope! These women are awesome!! And, as quoted above, I cringed the first day in the 'den of testosterone'!!! But I too have not looked back! I LOVE heavy lifting... with a passion!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I love doing push-ups with my son... I can only do about 3 sets of 12 but he can do over 30 without stopping! (he's 9 years old!)

I just groan when I hear women say they don't lift because they don't want to get large... unless you are on steroids or on a serious diet it aint' gonna happen! I love it when other ladies find their way to the free weights section of the gym!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    "The kicker is... in my experience, in order to reach the physique that many women are shooting for... they need to be picking up heavy stuff and putting it back down. "

YES YES YES! Reading this post makes me so happy :) I really wish we could just debunk the myth that power lifting will make us look like men. Men have way more testosterone, and even they aren't going to get big overnight. Women just don't really bulk up like that, and the ones that do are eating and training purposefully for it in a very specific manner (and likely on steroids...)

I highly recommend this article: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

I am constantly reposting and sharing it, but it seriously changed my entire perspective and health and fitness. Yay for strong women :)

I started lifting in August, and could seriously barely lift the olympic bar over my head, and it only weighs 35lbs. Three months later, I am now dead lifting more than my body weight, shoulder pressing half my body weight, and approaching my bodyweight in my back squat! I have a long way to go, but I love looking back and seeing how much progress I've already made in such a short time.

I think the tides are beginning to turn. Slowly but surely. I receive dozens of emails per day. It's been that way for years. A few years back, almost all of the questions I was receiving from women pertained to fat loss and calories. Today I receive emails every day pertaining to setting up lifting programs.

I'm hopeful.

Get Strong, Be Strong, Look Strong!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I hit a 400 pound lift total today.

Now working towards 500! :happy:
  • stroutman81
    Options

Very impressive. Congrats! Are you powerlifting competitively? Or just doing it for the fun of it?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Very impressive. Congrats! Are you powerlifting competitively? Or just doing it for the fun of it?

Mostly for the heck of it.
  • CoSunshine410
    CoSunshine410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump - this is some great information! Thanks!