Women strength training... for real

Options

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Some related material about muscle growth interfering with loss of inches:

http://body-improvements.com/2011/12/15/question-from-a-client-measurements-going-the-wrong-way/
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AJDistel
    Options
    I've been running (more like jogging (: ) since September and I'm ready to add strength training to my routine. I thought about mixing P90X in. The weight training part and running on the cardio days. Not sure if that's a good start or if I should try something different. I'm looking for advice/help with this. I'm no where near my goal weight yet, but I figured if I can get this 235lb frame to run a 5k... I can build some muscle to help my metabolism. I have been more focused on my running so I cut out some of the exercises I was doing. But I'm just not sure where to start, what I should do, or how to do things the correct way.

If anyone can help me with this or give me advice/tips/or help finding a good routine, please message me or feel free to friend me. Thanks.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a mix of body-weight training, HIIT, and a few of the weight machines but have been planning on moving to free-weights and have been checking out various routines to get me started. I think I'm going to go with Cosgrove's "The Female Body Breakthrough". To be honest, I'm still weak enough, especially in my core, that I will probably start with mostly body-weight for awhile until I get my form perfected and my core strong enough to keep me balanced as I have balance issues. Anyway, what do you think about that particular program?

And just want to say that this is a most helpful and inspiring thread. Have just read all 16 pages and am now off to read all the various other articles suggested throughout these pages.

Thanks so much for everybody who has shared.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I've been running (more like jogging (: ) since September and I'm ready to add strength training to my routine. I thought about mixing P90X in. The weight training part and running on the cardio days. Not sure if that's a good start or if I should try something different. I'm looking for advice/help with this. I'm no where near my goal weight yet, but I figured if I can get this 235lb frame to run a 5k... I can build some muscle to help my metabolism. I have been more focused on my running so I cut out some of the exercises I was doing. But I'm just not sure where to start, what I should do, or how to do things the correct way.

If anyone can help me with this or give me advice/tips/or help finding a good routine, please message me or feel free to friend me. Thanks.

Honestly, at 235 lbs I'd worry less on heavy strength training, like that found in p90x, and more on lighter, more continuous stuff. People might gasp when I say this, but even the traditional DVD programs you see out there that are circuit training based will be suitable.

When you have an appreciable amount of excess fat, prioritizing calorie expenditure over true strength training makes a lot of sense in my mind. I'm not saying "don't lift weights." I'm just saying lift weights in more of a cardio-esque fashion where the emphasis is on volume rather than intensity.

Does that make sense?
  • amaczu
    amaczu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    stroutman81, this is an awesome thread! I got through as many pages as I could, and hit upon the post one page ago with the young lady who is at a low weight and bf% and looking to go lower and struggling with the cardio vs. strength conundrum--my situation is similar, but different in that I'm not overweight but I AM overfat.

I'm 5'2" and last May I was 130 lbs and lost 10 of it in 4 months of 'experimenting with x program until something worked', but with no real change in physique since I didn't have any weights (though I was religiously doing the same bodyweight exercises regardless). Gained some of it back over the holidays, (but I got about 50 lbs worth of adjustable weights for christmas) and am now getting back into it.--My weight 'goal' is 110 lbs as a really vague benchmark (mostly because even at my peak fitness I've never been 110 lbs, but I had significantly more muscle then), but would rather see my measurements go down by about 2 inches all around.

The conflicting info that I get is that since I'm a 'healthy' weight, I should focus more on strength training...however since I have 'high' fat, I should burn it off with cardio. Assuming my bodyfat % is between 25% and 28% (after staring at many, many images online) am I still wasting my time with running? Since I'm a small person to begin with, I'm torn between maintaining a calorie 'deficit' with the right macronutrients (currently doing 40/40/20 c/p/f on 1300 calories) to fuel my body through low-intensity cardio training, or risk slowing down my progress on the fat front because I need to eat closer to maintenance in the form of protein in order to gain some muscle. When your BMR is 1,200 calories, there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room!

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and thanks in advance! Anyone else who has been there, done that feel free to share!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    stroutman81, this is an awesome thread! I got through as many pages as I could, and hit upon the post one page ago with the young lady who is at a low weight and bf% and looking to go lower and struggling with the cardio vs. strength conundrum--my situation is similar, but different in that I'm not overweight but I AM overfat.

I'm 5'2" and last May I was 130 lbs and lost 10 of it in 4 months of 'experimenting with x program until something worked', but with no real change in physique since I didn't have any weights (though I was religiously doing the same bodyweight exercises regardless). Gained some of it back over the holidays, (but I got about 50 lbs worth of adjustable weights for christmas) and am now getting back into it.--My weight 'goal' is 110 lbs as a really vague benchmark (mostly because even at my peak fitness I've never been 110 lbs, but I had significantly more muscle then), but would rather see my measurements go down by about 2 inches all around.

The conflicting info that I get is that since I'm a 'healthy' weight, I should focus more on strength training...however since I have 'high' fat, I should burn it off with cardio. Assuming my bodyfat % is between 25% and 28% (after staring at many, many images online) am I still wasting my time with running? Since I'm a small person to begin with, I'm torn between maintaining a calorie 'deficit' with the right macronutrients (currently doing 40/40/20 c/p/f on 1300 calories) to fuel my body through low-intensity cardio training, or risk slowing down my progress on the fat front because I need to eat closer to maintenance in the form of protein in order to gain some muscle. When your BMR is 1,200 calories, there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room!

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and thanks in advance! Anyone else who has been there, done that feel free to share!

Who says you need to burn the fat off with cardio? Fat loss is a function of being in a calorie deficit. A calorie deficit can come from decreased food intake, increased exercise, or a combination of the two. A deficit is a deficit is a deficit.

The same can't be said for muscle though. There's only one thing that's going to influence that and it's progressive resistance training.

In order to achieve leanness, we know we need to minimize fat mass and maximize muscle mass. From above, it should be obvious that progressive resistance training needs to be prioritized over cardio. At least in the context you find yourself in.

I don't know exactly what your weight is, but let's say it's 135. 1200 seems like a low BMR for someone weighing 135 lbs. How did you come up with that number? BMR is typically around 10 cals/lb assuming a normal functioning metabolism.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    another great thread I must have missed earlier!
  • dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I want to do strength training but my trainer is insisting that I do lighter weights and lots of reps, I like the gym as it is small and quiet so I can get on and do my own thing at my own pace. Any recommendations on where I can go to get a training programme to follow and adapt for my needs would be helpful. I love the fact that I am already stronger but have been following the same programme now for 8 weeks and upping my weights and dropping the reps myself but not really feeling the burn now.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    another great thread I must have missed earlier!

Thanks
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I want to do strength training but my trainer is insisting that I do lighter weights and lots of reps, I like the gym as it is small and quiet so I can get on and do my own thing at my own pace. Any recommendations on where I can go to get a training programme to follow and adapt for my needs would be helpful. I love the fact that I am already stronger but have been following the same programme now for 8 weeks and upping my weights and dropping the reps myself but not really feeling the burn now.

Couple of things...

1. What are your current stats? If you'd prefer to email them to me, that's fine. But maybe true strength training isn't ideal for your goals.

2. Speaking of which, what is your primary goal?

3. There are plenty of websites that offer free, general programming ideas. Even in my blog here on MFP I have written out some strength training programs. Or you can pay a trainer that does online consulting for more individualized programming. You can check out my website for an idea of pricing and packages.

4. Feeling the burn shouldn't necessarily be the goal of a program.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info can't wait to read all of this! BUMP!!!!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Damn I was feeling relieved to see that I squat more than they do but then one gal smashed my deadlift PR :sad:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    One of my fav. things to do is youtube videos of tiny women kicking *kitten* in the gym. :wink:
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    bump
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If a certain threshold of tension isn't reached, no adaptations as far as strength/hypertrophy are going to take place. Sure, you can get a training effect. You might build muscular endurance. You might build cardiorespiratory fitness. But here's my real point...

Not everyone needs to pick up a heavy barbell to realize this tension overload. For beginners, simple calisthenics can provide enough of an overload to drive improvement. Hell, in the research, taking sedentary folks and starting them on a walking regiment was enough to add muscle to their legs. Their bodyweight was enough.

Exactly! Thus the 5x5 format. If you can complete more than 7 reps on your first set, you're not loading yourself enough, and you need to upgrade your exercise. I'll post my routine below (stolen shamelessly from Cheesedog at bodyweightculture.com lol)
    And since it seems like this thread will grow in popularity... I want to share another thread that revolves around the same topic. In it, I talk in detail about selecting the right load for you and I think I even write a sample body weight routine you can do from home.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/276660-i-do-dvds-so-i-don-t-need-to-strength-train

Awesome post =D!
    Another Bodyweight Culture article, this one courtesy Cheesedog at:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11058-Bodyweight-Strength-Training

Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

Is there a video demonstrating these positions? I would love to try it but I've never heard of some of these moves and I do best by watching an example.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    :D I was wondering about the astronomical lifts they are doing... those squats aren't scary at all! Those are about my current raw squat, the deadlift of 330 I am not far off! Women see these numbers and freak, when they aren't that big anyway! Just go for them, learn to train right and anybody could reach those!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

I like how you understand the issues here! My calorie allowance is about 1650 and its tough getting enough protein in every day. Yesterday, I had two protein drinks, coffee and two slices of pizza (believe me the pizza isn't normal!)! That protein is getting tiring! I eat chicken, turkey, eggs, everything protein related all day. Every meal is protein focused. My weight loss is slow as well. I rarely see actual gains, I lost the first ten pounds in six weeks. The second ten have taken me 6 or so months to lose. I also don't do much "cardio" consistently. Its mostly weight lifting. The toss-up of getting more calories in protein for my muscles vs the restricted calories is frustrating. For now, I do my best at squeezing both together and my meals aren't the most exciting. :/
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    :D I was wondering about the astronomical lifts they are doing... those squats aren't scary at all! Those are about my current raw squat, the deadlift of 330 I am not far off! Women see these numbers and freak, when they aren't that big anyway! Just go for them, learn to train right and anybody could reach those!

Love that attitude!! :D
    All those lifts may be very heavy but they aren't unattainable - it just takes a lot of time and effort spent getting to that level :)