Women strength training... for real

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Also, I want to add that women are often still "afraid" of the look of the female fitness models and such even though they aren't bulky. What women don't realize is that those women also have VERY low body fat percentages. If you don't want to look like that, don't get that low your body fat, which means eat more and do LESS cardio.
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're doing true HIIT where the work portion of the intervals are as hard as you can... then I'd likely insert them on your lifting days.

I also wouldn't recommend relying solely on HIIT while dieting. It's just not necessary and in many cases can be counterproductive. I know "hard and intense" feels right. People like the idea of beating their bodies into submission. But that doesn't always pan out so well in the real world.

If HIIT is to be used... in my folks I'll limit it to 1-2 sessions per week. And yes, it's consolidated with the strength work. Then there will be a handful of lower intensity conditioning and active rest stuff thrown into the off days.

Oh, and that whole visceral fat thing... I wouldn't worry about that. Visceral fat is the first fat to go... it's the subcutaneous fat that takes longer to tap into for reasons we won't dive into here.

Awesome... thanks for clearing that up Steve!! I'm going to incorporate weight training 3 days a week and on the alternate 3-4 days, stick with my regular 25 minute runs sans the HIIT. I really appreciate the insightful advice. Thanks again! :drinker:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you want to shed fat QUICKLY...lift the weights!! It's not like you have to maintain that body shape when you're done, or that level of 'muscularity'. Having that extra muscle will burn the fat exponentially more quickly. When you're happy with your body fat percentage...stop lifting at that intensity. The muscle will melt with lack of use, and you'll be right where you want to be...MUCH more quickly than you would have otherwise.

Thanks. But that's not for me. I will continue to do what I'm doing.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Also, I want to add that women are often still "afraid" of the look of the female fitness models and such even though they aren't bulky. What women don't realize is that those women also have VERY low body fat percentages. If you don't want to look like that, don't get that low your body fat, which means eat more and do LESS cardio.

Zuzanna...same girl, same build, different levels of bodyfat:

zuzanna1.jpg

Marine.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love my body and how it responds to weight training. I love feeling strong and being strong. I like it better than cardio. Strength training doesn't make me bulky. Being fat does.
    I completely agree! I loss more weight when I weight train and do cardio than when I only do cardio :)
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy weights. I don't like the muscular look. There's a difference between a woman having a bodybuilder's look and a woman having the muscular look. Example: Chyna the wrestler (Bodybuilder's look) and Jackie Warner (Muscular look).

It's not easy for a man or woman to bulk up. But, both genders can get a muscular look by strength training.

A bodybuilder, no matter if it's a man or woman, they don't get that body without help and no, I'm not talking about steroids.

I'm more a cardio person. I strength train to tone and that's all.

??? Did you read the original post and watch the video? It was posted to explicitly debunk thinking like this.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy weights. I don't like the muscular look. There's a difference between a woman having a bodybuilder's look and a woman having the muscular look. Example: Chyna the wrestler (Bodybuilder's look) and Jackie Warner (Muscular look).

It's not easy for a man or woman to bulk up. But, both genders can get a muscular look by strength training.

A bodybuilder, no matter if it's a man or woman, they don't get that body without help and no, I'm not talking about steroids.

??? Did you read the original post and watch the video? It was posted to explicitly debunk thinking like this.

When I read her second reply...I knew there was no point in responding man.

I understand her point about looking muscular (for a woman)...but I can't get my head around not wanting to utilize any tool possible to get where I want to be. I HATE cardio...but if it worked for me the way strength training does...to get to MY goals as quickly as possible, at which point I could quit or cut back and go back to what I enjoy (strength training)...I'd be doing it like mad.

*shrug*

To each their own I guess.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love my body and how it responds to weight training. I love feeling strong and being strong. I like it better than cardio. Strength training doesn't make me bulky. Being fat does.

I couldn't agree more!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apowell13
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you've read this thread... but women can't get bulky unless they've some serious hormone imbalances. And if you're dieting.... which most of the women around here are... you're definitely not going to be adding appreciable muscle. Heck, even guys who are dieting aren't going to be adding appreciable muscle while dieting.

Look how heavily the women in the video are lifting. They've built up to those loads over extended periods of time. Would you call them bulky?

Toning is about fat loss. Not strength training or whatever.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    That actually makes complete sense...and gives me a few clues as to where to tone back the intensiveness, and increase the actual intensity...as explained in your post. Perhaps I'll start making my Wednesday workout an actual intensity based workout, rather than intensive. My main goal is still to shed body fat...but there are places I'd like to start building now also. Wider shoulders will of course be stronger (which is my main goal...applicable strength), but they also make for a smaller looking waist...as does a distinct V in your lats, etc.

Loving this topic =D.

I'd say that's a good idea.

My own take on getting lean is to keep everything pretty intense (not intensive) when it comes to the strength training. I let my diet and conditioning work take care of the fat loss.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Ding ding ding.

You win the trophy for best post in the thread. Most women are completely fooled by the optical illusion provided by very low body fat levels.

In terms of female fitness competitors... there are bodybuilders and there are figure competitors. The former almost certainly supplement with drugs. The latter may or may not. But all of them LOOK more muscular than what most women are shooting for. But in reality... they're really not. They're just insanely lean, which gives off the impression that they're insanely muscular.

Funny thing is though... I'm friends with a bunch of female figure competitors and outside of the competition window... they've bodies that most women would die for. Because that's when body fat levels are are more natural levels.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think the women in the video are super hot and my hubby would love to see me looking like that.

I wouldn't want to look like this bodyrock lady though.

I lift. I don't do anything too heavy yet, because I'm still fairly weak. I have some ten pound dumbbells that I am working with for now, but once I hit a plateau with them, I'll step it up to 15 pounds.

I find that being strong is helpful in everyday life. I have gotten weaker over the last several years, and now it's hard to carry groceries, open doors, or even get out of the car. As I've started working out, I've started getting stronger, and I find that I can do more things without getting winded.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you want to shed fat QUICKLY...lift the weights!! It's not like you have to maintain that body shape when you're done, or that level of 'muscularity'. Having that extra muscle will burn the fat exponentially more quickly. When you're happy with your body fat percentage...stop lifting at that intensity. The muscle will melt with lack of use, and you'll be right where you want to be...MUCH more quickly than you would have otherwise.

Thanks. But that's not for me. I will continue to do what I'm doing.

Just a quick note. Nobody is trying to push this method of exercise on people. It has proven to be the most effective tool in the box for females to attain the look they're shooting for. At least the females I've worked with over the last decade and the females I've encountered on communties such as this.

But that doesn't mean you MUST do it in order to lose weight. In reality... muscle doesn't burn an insane amount of calories per pound. It's 6 or so. And fat is 3 or so. And you're not going to be adding muscle anyhow... at least to any significant degree... while dieting.

But based on your previous post... I can tell you that you have some misconceptions about hypertrophy.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I love heavy weight training, and I feel awesome knowing I can squat more than the first girl in the video, guess I'm on the right track :)

PS, dropped 4% body fat and only 3lbs in just 6 weeks of adding strength training
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I believe, as many of us do, that weight training is a must! I choose growth over decay any day! :)
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    LOVE THIS :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I am nowhere near my target weight but I've been lifting for a month now and already see a huge difference in my arms & legs.