Lose 10 lbs in September Challenge

Options

Replies

• tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!! I burned 500 calories yesterday!!! So proud of myself. That was the first time this week that I worked out. I went for a jog/run around a local park and then came home, logged it in. I wasnt happy with how many calories I burned so ON THE ELIPTICAL I went! For a burn of 547 calories, I FELT AWESOME... Woke up this morning wanting to work out first thing, but I didn't have time before work. HAHA So it is on for another 500 calories tonight afterwards! 140's here I come!
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So the challenge for week 2 is the same as week 1? Or did I miss something? And I did burn 700 calories monday, Yeah me! I was a little busy yesturday. I am trying to get back on track. So, are we continuing week 1 challenge? Or did I miss the challenge for week 2. Somebody help the newbie. (:
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I noticed the group isn't closed, wondering if I can participate for the rest of September? I have already lost 3 pounds since sept.1 ,I am hoping to get to 10 pounds by the end of the month.
  • obstacleone
    Options
    I hit the challenge of 3500 calories burned last night. I'm pretty stoked.
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    So the challenge for week 2 is the same as week 1? Or did I miss something? And I did burn 700 calories monday, Yeah me! I was a little busy yesturday. I am trying to get back on track. So, are we continuing week 1 challenge? Or did I miss the challenge for week 2. Somebody help the newbie. (:

The challenge is to burn 500 calories a day (3500 a week), and to continue with your water. I think we are also sharing healthy recipes.

Anyone can join at any time, but you will have to send a message to our leader jrdoty8986 to get on the spreadsheet.
  • DebsFernandez
    Options
    1. Continue drinking 64 oz water/day
    --Lately I have been having trouble with making the 64oz. I can now get about 4-7. I don't know why, but I can't seem to get the full amount.

3. Share one of your favorite healthy recipes!

Coconut Soup (super delicious though, if the name isn't appealing)
    Now most of the "meats" parts are if you want them in there. You don't have to have them (if you don't you can figure how much less cals are in it). And it's a soup. You cook it like a soup :P

Chicken Breast
    Shrimp
    Clams

chopped or diced:
    carrots, onions, asparagus, sugar snap peas, button mushrooms, cilantro, green onions

About 2 stalks of Lemon Grass (for the flavor, yum, lemon)

About 2 cans of Coconut Milk

About 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce

Lime Juice

Just make it like a soup. I didn't put amounts only because I didn't make it. Lol. My boyfriend is a chef and this soup is soooo good. He makes very large amounts of food and I don't watch him cook. So I don't know exact measurements of the stuff he used to make a smaller batch.

if you would like you can always ask and I can find out exact amounts. :)

But this soup is the best soup ever!! :D
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Last week I got in 4287 calories burned, which is a testament to how much I must have eaten/drank on football sunday to not lose any weight lol. I'm gonna try to take a day less off from exercise this week and hopefully hit 5000 cals burned!

I'm scared though because I am a bridesmaid on october 1st, and my dress went from a little tight, to fitting perfectly in 3 weeks. Should I lose the same in the upcoming weeks, it'll go from fitting perfectly to embarassingly falling down :noway:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    licha and shrinkingviolet - not too late do join - just send me a message with your Sept 1 weight and then just check in every Friday.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Okie Dokie, sorry for the lateness on posting this week's mini challenges. XD I've been kinda lazy, lol.

Mini-Challenge for this week:

1.A Continue drinking 64 oz water/day
    1.B Done. ;D For me drinking water is like breathing lol. XD I've gotten the comment "you drink like a fish" more times than I can remember.

2.A 3,500 calories = 1 lb...try to burn 3,500 calories exercising between Friday Sept. 9 and Thursday Sept. 15 (it's only 500 calories/day - you got this!!)
    2.B I'm already at 3,200!!! :DD Yayz I can definitely hit this one by Thursday!

3.A Share one of your favorite healthy recipes!
    3.B Uber Yummy...Super Cheesy... Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas. And yes, that's the full name, lol. XD

(Adapted from skinnytaste)
    INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken and Bean Filling:
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 cup minced white onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can (4 oz) Ortega chopped fire roasted green chiles
    15.5 oz can Navy beans (I actually prefer and used red kidney beans, yummy!)
    8 oz cooked shredded chicken breast (I slow roasted this with spices ie: cumin, chili powder, ground black pepper, etc.)
    1/3 can water
    1 chicken bullion
    1 tsp cumin

Green Chile Enchilada Sauce:
    1 tsp butter (or margarine)
    1/2 cup chopped white onion
    2 tbsp flour
    1 cup fat free chicken broth
    7 oz can Ortega fire roasted chopped green chile
    2 Tbls can Ortega chopped jalapeno
    1/2 cup light sour cream (I used daisy)
    1/3 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (I know it sounds weird. XD)
    a little over 1/3 cup shredded colby and monterey jack cheese
    8 medium low carb tortillas (Instead I used 6 Azteca flour tortillas, but whichever you like best. ;D)

Preheat oven to 375°.

For the Filling:
    In a medium pan, heat olive oil on low. Add onions, garlic and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add green chiles, beans, water, bullion, and cumin. Mix well and cover. Simmer on low 15 minutes. Remove cover, add chicken and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until it thickens and liquid boils down. Set aside.

Green Chile Enchilada Sauce:
    In a large nonstick pan, melt the butter/margarine over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Whisk until the sauce becomes smooth. Cook over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Add green chiles, jalepeños, and salt to tatse. Cook another minute then remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream.

Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish. Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup of the chicken/white bean filling. Roll the tortillas and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Continue filling remainder of the tortillas.

Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Top with cheese. Cover with aluminum and bake 15-25 minutes, until the enchiladas are hot and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro or scallions

Sounds like a lot of work but really if you roast the chicken ahead of time (Or you could even use leftover) it really doesn't take too long beside prep work (ie: onions and garlic, etc.)

Original Recipe= Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 enchilada • Old Points: 4 • Points: 5
    Calories: 230 • Fat: 7.3 g • Protein: 20.4 g • Carb: 28.7 g • Fiber: 12.2 g

Revised Version=
    Servings: 6 - Serving Size: 1 Enchilada
    Calories: 291 - Carbs: 31 - Fat: 9 - Sodium: 915 - Sat Fat: 5 - Sugars: 3

This recipe is rather high in the sodium department due mainly to the tortillas, *bouillon*, chicken broth, and beans. So if you're watching you sodium there are plenty of low sodium and sodium free options to each above ^^. Enjoy!!! :DD
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I have a question: I am a working mother, and right now I have 2 sick babies at home :( When you are tight for time, do you do cardio or strength?

There are some nights (even without sick kiddies) that I can't fit it all in!

Take care!
  • Athena413
    Options
    If you're short on time, I'd do strength. It can burn just as many calories as cardio and builds muscle, which burns fat. Weight training is actually better for losing weight than cardio is, but most women are too afraid to bulk up so they don't do it. Truth is, we're just not capable of bulking up.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I hit the challenge of 3500 calories burned last night. I'm pretty stoked.

I exceeded 3,500 tonight - whoop whoop!!
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you're short on time, I'd do strength. It can burn just as many calories as cardio and builds muscle, which burns fat. Weight training is actually better for losing weight than cardio is, but most women are too afraid to bulk up so they don't do it. Truth is, we're just not capable of bulking up.

I just read your comment on strength! ! So you can born more than cardio? Wow I didn't know this! I do a lot of cardio with weights! Is that good as well? I'm doing Thax Bo with Billy Blanks or I do Julian Michael s!
  • Tisch1985
    Tisch1985 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My legs are so sore from working out! Now i will never reach 3500 calories!

I have a question if you use hand weights what weight do you use?!
  • bwesser
    Options

I am also very sore! I didn't go to the gym before class this morning because my body needed me to sleep! I went to bed at 10pm last night and woke up at 8:30! I feel great now... but I'm never gonna make that 3500 calorie mark this week. :( But I am going to play some ultimate frisbee today. An hour of that and it burns about 500... so we'll see what my body wants to do. lol
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Last week I got in 4287 calories burned, which is a testament to how much I must have eaten/drank on football sunday to not lose any weight lol. I'm gonna try to take a day less off from exercise this week and hopefully hit 5000 cals burned!

I'm scared though because I am a bridesmaid on october 1st, and my dress went from a little tight, to fitting perfectly in 3 weeks. Should I lose the same in the upcoming weeks, it'll go from fitting perfectly to embarassingly falling down :noway:

Here is my opinion with this. You have been working so hard and it is always hard to tell where you will be in 2 weeks as sometimes we have great weeks and sometimes, NOT so great weeks. When I was in my Dad's wedding in July, I was still losing. I had already taken in my dress 2 incehes on both sides and didn't want to spend another 65 dollars to get it taken in more. I would have paid 300 dollars for the dress had I have done that!! SO I had that mind set that if anyone says something about my dress fitting too big, it would be time to boast about how much weight I have lost and just explain to them that you are losing and couldn't get it taken in 2 days prior to the wedding :) Hope that helps!
  • Athena413
    Options

I just read your comment on strength! ! So you can born more than cardio? Wow I didn't know this! I do a lot of cardio with weights! Is that good as well? I'm doing Thax Bo with Billy Blanks or I do Julian Michael s!

With weight training, you continue to burn calories even after you've stopped working out. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn just sitting there doing nothing. Cardio with weights is definitely good to do, too!
  • Athena413
    Options

Depends on the exercise you're doing. Overhead presses, I can't do any more than 5# right now. Flies I do 8#, rows I do 12#, and incline chest press I do 10#. Those are the only upper body exercises I'm doing right now - until my trainers decides to switch things up.