Real Talk: Are you choosing Hair over Health?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My hair and just having to stop my day to take a shower- I hate it. I have to plan a huge chunk of time for working out because I haveeee to take a shower immediately and then start the whole wet hair/get dressed routine

^^ this is me too. It's such a pain when I have a really full on day and I know that doing even just 30 min of cardio will take actually take an hour and a half all up by the time I do all the shower/dry/hair business afterwards! :ohwell: Gotta be done tho...
  • loladrew
    Options
    great topic!

my hair is wavy/frizzy and i typically have to use some sort of heat to get it looking decent. i'm definitely not a wash & go kinda girl- unfortunately.

when my hair was longer, i could wash it twice a week and just sort of touch it up each day, but now that i'm working out i realize i have to wash it more, thanks to the sweat. as much of a pain in the *kitten* it is, it hasn't stopped me.

so... i cut it, and although i'm still having to wash it more, i've been wearing it curly more (that may have something to do with age, too.) there's been plenty of times when it was straightened that i didn't want to go swimming, or would get mad when people splash me in the pool.

i guess priorities have changed for me, and i figured out one way to adapt. : ) i never worked out before, so didn't even think of it, and definitely didn't consider how much more challenging and time consuming it is for people with different hair types.

Get your sweat on, ladies! Figure out how to make it work for you, our bodies are worth it.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I posted this forum, looks like this dialogue needed to happen to ENLIGHTEN some. Thanks for the input!!!...Hopefully this info will have a positive ripple effect as it already has viewing by the responses. :)

I would be lying to myself if I said that my hair at times never prevented me from exercising. I've lost sleep on account of worrying about my hair. Lol I am of the opinion that a great number of women of all ethnicities weigh the costs of sweating their hair out during exercise--whether the cost be a frizz out or more time spent grooming oneself.

India Arie said it best: "I am not my hair, I am not my skin, I am the woman deep within" Love that song...

I wish you ALL the best of luck on your weight-loss journey!!! :flowerforyou:

I have a wave noveau (do they stll call it that?), so I don't worry about it. My hair actually looks better right after I've washed it or sweat in it because the moisture creates spiral curls. I wash my hair every 3-4 days, but my hair doesn't get stinky quickly. I'd have to go a week or more without washing it for that.

I invested in a flat iron for when I want to wear my hair bone straight because the idea of paying $60-$80 to have it done at the salon only to have it revert the second I sweat in it or wash it within a few days is insane.

This thread has made it abundantly clear that a lot of people don't understand the complications of black hair care and maintenance (which is what the article is about), but that's understandable since they haven't had to deal with it. I could write a book about what it takes to keep my hair presentable. If I wasn't vain, I'd shave it off altogether. :laugh:
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    no not a problem for me.

i dont allow myself any excuse to not work out, i have micro braids and my sister showed me how to wash and condition it regularly to avoid that musty smell that you will get if you dont wash your hair from sweating so much after working out.

so no its not a problem i have been wearing the braid all my life.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I went natural for that very reason ;)
  • justmaxine2
    Options
    Great topic! I used to chosses hair over health because I was spending anywhere from $80-120 per month to keep it looking good. Then 3 years ago and I decided to go natural. I now keep a low, tight fade so sweat or no sweat, my hair always looks good.
    Now I am working on getting a body too match the hair! ;-)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    No, I don't care. my hair is frizzy and cr@p after the gym, but it doesn't stop me, that's the least of my worries. i don't even have time to shower after the gym. i just dose up with deodorant and keep my armpits away from people....

my hair is a lot less than ideal these days, i go to the gym every morning, and don't re-do my hair most days unless i'm going somewhere worthy of showering and re-doing hair...
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I used to chose hair over health because I was spending anywhere from $80-120 per month to keep it looking good

YES!! PLUS YOU CAN SPEND LIKE 8 HOURS AT THE BEAUTY SHOP DEPENDING ON YOUR HAIRSTYLE.