"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Hey gang!

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Humpday! Well on my way home to pick up my daughter and take her to school, I decided to take a COVID test cause I was feeling a little "sick". Low and behold.................I was positive. I have to be out till at least Saturday now and come back with a negative test. I can still workout at home, but this is going to be a boring week.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, high cable curls 4x 12,10,6.

Assessment: Soup for dinner.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    Strength: Pull B

Pullups 3 sets
    BB Shrugs 3x10
    Cable Row 5x5
    Pulldown 2x10
    Chin-down 2x10
    Cable hammer curls 3x10

Analysis: With my birthday coming up on Saturday, I've been debating what I want to do in the gym (it's just a given I want to spend part of my birthday there lol). I'm thinking of testing my 1RM's and see if I still qualify for the 1,000 club. Will compare my recent lifts to online calculators for starting points, it's been years since I tested anything other than deadlifts.

Food: Lunch - chicken sandwich and salad, Dinner - soy chicken with egg noodles

Other: Take care of yourself. My son got COVID, all it did was lose his sense of taste for about 6 months, otherwise felt fine. It knocked me into bed for 48 hours, sleeping for 46 of them.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Recovering well and feel well enough to actually work but can't do anything till at least Saturday. So I'll take time to clean up around the house so I don't have to do it over the weekend.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (200 calories)

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns. 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: McDonald's for dinner. Funny but with all the junk food I've been eating, I'm down 2lb.

• nossmf
    Options
    Strength: Legs B

Squats 4x10

Analysis: A little bit of a late start this morning, plus I didn't want to wear myself out before my testing day this Saturday, so I knocked out my squats and called it a day without any accessory work. According to the 1RM calculators online, my projected maxes for bench, squat plus deadlift should get me above the 1,000# mark, though without much room leftover. Not like a few years ago, when my training was almost exclusively power-lifting in nature, and I was pushing the 1200# mark. (I know, not gonna impress any girls or judges, but still serves as fond memories.)

Food: Lunch - leftover chili, Dinner - ground hamburger with rice

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy TGIF! Feel fully recovered and ready to go back to work. Just have to wait till tomorrow to test. Ugh and the Warriors lost.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Steak and vegetables for dinner.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a beginner, at home, with a sore knee.

Cardio I do a fifteen minute fast marching video and some yoga on Mon, Wed, Fri. And usually 30 min walking on Sunday

Strength
    I do a long dumbbell workout Tues, Thurs and Sat. 40 reps for everything. Here goes:

*Down dog heel raises (warmup)
    * Side leg raise and meet 2 lb each ankle with side arm raise 4 lb in top hand
    * Quad stretch
    *Bicycles 2 lb each ankle
    *Flies on my back 4 lbs each hand
    * Bridge
    * Plank
    * Stretches
    * Chair squats (when my knee is good)
    * knee clamshell with a band
    *Front leg raise
    * Chest press 4 lbs each hand
    *Overhead press with a calf raise 4 lbs each hand
    * Deadlift 4 lbs each hand
    *Wrist curls 4 lbs each hand
    * Tree balance
    * Bicep curl 4 lbs
    *2 hand row 8 lbs each hand
    * Shoulder shrug 8 lbs each hand
    * Tricep pullover 4 lbs each hand
    * Cross body punches 4 lbs each hand
    *Crunches

The goal is a low impact whole body workout without hurting myself or dropping a dumbbell, in order to lose weight. Do you see anything I'm missing?

Thanks, Annie
  • nossmf
    Options
    @ninerbuff is the actual trainer who can speak, but welcome to the thread!
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Thank you nossmf! Nice to meet you!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hi. I'm a beginner, at home, with a sore knee.

Cardio I do a fifteen minute fast marching video and some yoga on Mon, Wed, Fri. And usually 30 min walking on Sunday

Strength
    I do a long dumbbell workout Tues, Thurs and Sat. 40 reps for everything. Here goes:

*Down dog heel raises (warmup)
    * Side leg raise and meet 2 lb each ankle with side arm raise 4 lb in top hand
    * Quad stretch
    *Bicycles 2 lb each ankle
    *Flies on my back 4 lbs each hand
    * Bridge
    * Plank
    * Stretches
    * Chair squats (when my knee is good)
    * knee clamshell with a band
    *Front leg raise
    * Chest press 4 lbs each hand
    *Overhead press with a calf raise 4 lbs each hand
    * Deadlift 4 lbs each hand
    *Wrist curls 4 lbs each hand
    * Tree balance
    * Bicep curl 4 lbs
    *2 hand row 8 lbs each hand
    * Shoulder shrug 8 lbs each hand
    * Tricep pullover 4 lbs each hand
    * Cross body punches 4 lbs each hand
    *Crunches

The goal is a low impact whole body workout without hurting myself or dropping a dumbbell, in order to lose weight. Do you see anything I'm missing?

Thanks, Annie
    Start with legs and work toward the smaller muscles. That way you're utilizing energy (highest at beginning of workouts) efficiently. So legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms, core.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Workout and then clean up the house. May also work on cleaning up the backyard more. Went to gym at 5am this morning (opens at 7am) since I have a key and didn't want anyone around while I worked out.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: quads- squats, leg press, hack squats, leg extensions, lunges 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: McDonald's for dinner again. My body feels fine, just still a little runny nose. Will take another COVID test tonight.
  • Anniesquats100
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thanks for your help, ninerbuff. And I hope you feel well soon.

Cardio: not today

Strength: did my dumbbell routine 40 reps, which leaves me breathless at times.

Assessment: It went well. But I'm not anywhere near failure. Do I want to try two sets of 25? I wonder how long that would take. 40 reps takes me 90 minutes.

Dinner was plain chicken and broccoli. Functional fuel, but nothing exciting.

Annie
  • nossmf
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Report for yesterday:

Cardio: Blowing out 45 candles on birthday cake

Strength: 1RM Testing Day

BW: 195
    Bench: 250 (PR 285)
    Squat: 425 (PR 485)
    Deadlift: 355 (PR 425)

Total: 1,030

Analysis: Got a good night's sleep before hitting the gym, was feeling confident setting up for the bench press. Banged out my first two 1RM attempts (245, 250) with steam to go, but that steam left me short on 255 where I couldn't quite get past the halfway mark. Once I get more than halfway up I'm usually able to power the rest of the way, so this was mildly bumming, but no time to belittle myself, squat's next!

Squat I knew was going to be my king lift, as my legs have always been comparatively stronger than my upper body. But I belatedly realized I'd forgotten my knee wraps and weight belt in my other gym bag at home, so the day was going to be a true me-only day. It's also the lift I was least sure where to start, as I haven't gone under 10 reps on squats in three years. But the computer calculator gave me an estimate of 435, so I started at 405 (easy), then 425 (slow but still smooth). At 445 I knew immediately when I started to go down that it was too much, based on how shaky my legs were, not smooth at all, so I aborted the lift just six inches in.

Quick mental math in public said I needed 325 to stay in the 1,000 pound club, and I'd pulled 335 for multiple doubles just last week, so all fear was gone. First two pulls felt strong at 335 and 355, but I think I psyched myself out setting up for 375, as I couldn't even break the ground, let alone think about going the rest of the way up. It's always puzzled me how my squat numbers are better than my deadlift numbers, but I figure that's gotta be a form thing more than a muscular thing.

Anyway, my total of 1,030 falls quite a bit shy of my lifetime best 1,195 (never did break the 1,200 mark, get that third plate on bench or that fifth plate squat). But that was recorded a decade ago in my mid 30's; at age 45, I'll take this score and be happy with it.

Food: Grilled steak and chicken with steamed broccoli, cinnamon streusel cake with ice cream for dessert

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kbox tonight. Well I'm over COVID now and it's the last week of school! Also a must win by the Warriors last night! What a way to start the week!

Cardio: walk/run - 30 min (350 calories)

Strength: shoulders- machine shoulder press, side laterals, machine rear laterals, facepulls, front dumbell raises 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Dinaguan and rice for dinner.
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Nossmf great job! Those numbers look impressive to me!

Ninerbuff so glad you are over Covid.

Cardio: walked 45 mins yesterday, did my 15 min fast marching video today

Strength: did an hour of yoga today. Some of the moves are more strength, others are more stretches.

Assessment: I feel pretty good. Sunday morning after my dumbbells the night before I could feel my muscles are not quite sore, but talking to me when I move. After my yoga my shoulders feel the same. So that's a good level of effort for now. My knee gets tight after exercise but it calms down again in a few hours.

After a big Sunday lunch, I had yogurt for dinner.

Annie
  • nossmf
    Options
    Strength: Push C

Twist In/Out 2x15
    Bench Press 5x5
    Incline DB Press 3x10
    Decline Machine Fly 3x10
    Seated Smith OHP 3x5
    Rope Pushdown 3x10

Analysis: Rather than recalculate weights based off my newly determined 1RM, I'm just gonna keep progressing with the weights I've been using, upping the weight as I need to due to hitting all reps plus two.

Food: Crockpot spicy honey-soy chicken and rice

@Anniesquats100 it sounds like you're at a good level of effort for general fitness, where you are aware of your muscles without being impaired by those muscles due to tightness or soreness. It's different if you're trying to reach a certain goal, but for improved quality of life, sounding good.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Nossmf great job! Those numbers look impressive to me!

Ninerbuff so glad you are over Covid.

Cardio: walked 45 mins yesterday, did my 15 min fast marching video today

Strength: did an hour of yoga today. Some of the moves are more strength, others are more stretches.

Assessment: I feel pretty good. Sunday morning after my dumbbells the night before I could feel my muscles are not quite sore, but talking to me when I move. After my yoga my shoulders feel the same. So that's a good level of effort for now. My knee gets tight after exercise but it calms down again in a few hours.

After a big Sunday lunch, I had yogurt for dinner.

Annie
    Thanks Annie. What I've found is that doing this whole daily journaling for me is that it gives me perspective on how I'm doing and where I am in life. A lot of it can get repetitious but just taking the time to do it for a few minutes a day helps me to stay consistent and always be grateful I can do things physically that some aren't able to do because of just not being fit or having health issues. It let's me get "within" myself and brings perspective to an important aspect of my life.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule today and kbox class. After first full day back, I feel great! People were asking about why I was gone. Good to know people notice when I'm not there. Of course they say the place was less "clean" when I wasn't there.

Cardio: walk- 30 minutes (150 calories)

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine chest press, cable crossovers, machine dips. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Leftover dinaguan and rice for dinner. A couple of days left for school for me as a yard duty. Still considering if I'll do it again next year. I've done it for 7 years and next year it will bring in an extra $800 a month. But for now I'm more excited for my daughter graduating Friday.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Strength: Pull C

Pullups 3 sets
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Machine Low Row 5x5
    Farmer's Carries 3x25sec
    Iso DB Curl 4x12,10,8,6

Analysis: After the first set of machine rows, I had to swap out my lifting gloves. My old pair was getting, wait for it, old, so for my birthday I got a new pair. But I must have gotten the wrong size, because they're so tight I can barely curl my fingers, and certainly had no grip strength once the weight got appreciable. So swapped back to my old gloves and never looked back. Main reason I wear gloves is not to protect from calluses, but to protect my wedding ring, which hasn't left my finger since the day I put it on nearly 20 years ago. (Not even sure it physically can leave my finger now...) I'm one of the rare few at my gym who wear lifting gloves; maybe 1 in 20 that I've seen. For the rest of my workout, I was disappointed in my farmer's carries, my grip was giving out after 25 seconds compared to my desired 30+.

Food: Lunch - grilled chicken with broccoli, Dinner - taco Tuesday (homemade)

• Anniesquats100
    Options
    Ninerbuff you are right about the daily journaling. It helps me celebrate my workout instead of moaning about it.

Nossmf that is sweet about your ring!

Strength: did my dumbbells! Yay!

Assessment: it went well. My energy kept up well ( the secret is great music!). Fewer breaks. My breaks are usually less than a minute because I get impatient.

Food: I had oatmeal with protein powder and blueberries for lunch, and boiled chicken for dinner. And dried apricots, that's almost like a fresh fruit!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Strength: Pull C

Pullups 3 sets
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Machine Low Row 5x5
    Farmer's Carries 3x25sec
    Iso DB Curl 4x12,10,8,6

Analysis: After the first set of machine rows, I had to swap out my lifting gloves. My old pair was getting, wait for it, old, so for my birthday I got a new pair. But I must have gotten the wrong size, because they're so tight I can barely curl my fingers, and certainly had no grip strength once the weight got appreciable. So swapped back to my old gloves and never looked back. Main reason I wear gloves is not to protect from calluses, but to protect my wedding ring, which hasn't left my finger since the day I put it on nearly 20 years ago. (Not even sure it physically can leave my finger now...) I'm one of the rare few at my gym who wear lifting gloves; maybe 1 in 20 that I've seen. For the rest of my workout, I was disappointed in my farmer's carries, my grip was giving out after 25 seconds compared to my desired 30+.

Food: Lunch - grilled chicken with broccoli, Dinner - taco Tuesday (homemade)
    Lol I only wear gloves when handles on machines look gross.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png