75 Pounds lost in 8 Months with pics

Options
This is a simple story of how I went from 248 pounds to 173 pounds. I hope what I have been able to do inspires others on MFP that are discouraged or struggling. This is also not an "I am awesome" thread...this is a "This is what I did, here's the proof, and this is how I got there" thread.

The before pics at 248

PICT0096.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

Uniform.jpg

The after pics at 173

DSC01680.jpg

BeforetheRace.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

Jeff1.jpg

My story...I retired from the Air Force after developing High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Hypo-Thyroidism, Acid Reflux, and Sleep Apnea. The medications that I was given to take packed the pounds on me even before I retired. Tomorrow I will be retired from the United States Air Force for five years. During those 5 years my life spiraled out of control, resulting in my wife leaving in Jan 2009 because I had gotten so bad. On my 50th birthday Jan 24th 2011, I got on the scale and it said 248. I was shocked and embarrassed. I was disgusted at what I saw. I had no energy and felt like crap all of the time. That day I finally stopped thinking about getting back in shape, I actually started working out with intensity. A friend told me about MFP in March 11 and I added it to my iPhone I started logging my calories and tracking my intake and exercise. I continued to work the treadmill, walking and running, biking and theelliptical and from 24 Jan 11 to 31 Aug 11 I have lost 75 pounds. On Saturday 27 Aug 11 I completed a 102.5 mile bicycle endurance race called the Hotter N Hell, in Wichita Falls TX and did it in 7 hours 9 minutes 4 seconds. 29 Aug 11 I started a cycle of P90X and will do it for the next 90 days with the hope of reaching my goal weight of 160

I want to thank all of my awesome MFP friends that are super supportive and have helped me...I particularly want to thank my co-worker Jessie (she isn't on MFP)uses who inspired me to get back to being me...I am forever in her debt. Tenaya, Rachel, and Sherri who have supported me since my first days on MFP!

Things I did to achieve my goal:
1. Used MFP and logged religiously...I am at 156 days and counting
2. Drank 8-10 glasses of water a day
3. Rarely took a workout day off
5. Stayed away from fast food!
6. Never ate back my exercise calories
7. Tried to get AT LEAST 6hours of sleep a night
8. Never denied myself what I felt like eating, yes I had pizza, soda, beer, but in moderation.
9. I challenged myself to do better every time I worked out
10. My goal-2 pounds per week until now…13 pounds from my goal now its 1.5 pounds

Over the nine months and 1 week that I have been on this journey (IT'S NOT OVER!), I have averaged around 2.3 pounds per week lost with one plateau...it can be done! My thoughts are we make our own plateaus.

Good luck to anyone who reads this and if what I have been able to do helps someone else along in the journey.

Replies

• miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Awesome job and you look GREAT!! Very inspiring! :)
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Let me just say . . WOW! You look amazing! What a total transformation! :smile:

Congrats on all your success and I wish you all the best in your continuing journey!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    wow! I am in awe
  • chiroGirl77
    Options
    WOW! You are an inspiration! Way to go!!!!!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Jeff, proud to have you as a friend on MFP. Keep up the great work!!! Can't wait to do my own post like this.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I loved the things you listed to help other out, to see what worked for you. Congrats and good luck to you on the rest of your journey.
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!! Thanks for posting
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look great :drinker: Shows super determination.
  • nursee67
    Options
    Inspiring! You look great! Thanks for sharing your story. I have found that people here are extremely supportive. Keep it up!
  • puddup
    Options
    Wow!! Congratulations!!
    You literally don't look like the same person, and look SO MUCH younger!!
    You are an inspiration, thank you for sharing your story :happy:
  • HisSonbeamer
    Options
    What an amazing success story! Thanks for sharing your journey! You look great and we know your health has definetly improved! Great job!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Yes, you ARE awesome!!!

great job!! what an inspiration!! you have changed your whole life for the better! :D
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations!! You prove that hard work and dedication really pay off. Thanks for sharing your story! :)
  • HungryMom
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great transformation!
  • Shan80
    Options
    Congratulations!! Your story is very inspiring and you look fantastic!

Your story gives me the motivation to just keep going!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    You look amazing, and thank you for your service. The inspiration is a nice added bonus. Best of luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Incredible..!!...You are an inspiration..!!... :flowerforyou:
  • Jennbruce10
    Options
    Wow! That's great!
  • alltalk199
    Options
    absolutely inspired, thanks for sharing, well done.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!