WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Mary - that guy from the bowling is so OLD. Yes, I know, I'm no spring chicken myself. But he's OLD. Well, we shall see if this continues. If it does, I'm going to have to do something (don't know what, so I hope it doesn't come to it). Say, we have the bowling league tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this?
    I'm the same way when we go to FL in Feb. You never know if you should bring shorts or your long johns. Two years ago Vince froze in the grandstands (I was nice and warm in the mall across the street). It doesn't help any that our seats are in the shade. But it does help when the weather is real warm.

Rebel - congrats to you and your son! That's great!

Amanda - happy anniversary!

Did an hour of a bosu workout and then 30 minutes of tai chi today. Tomorrow, I'll do a step DVD, then we have the Newcomers general meeting, then the senior bowling, then the Newcomers bowling. Should be an interesting day. Better start to get ready for it.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • Way to go!! everyone seems to be doing so well.

I'm really having trouble getting my cardio going. I use to to be able to do the elliptical for 5miles and now i can barley do it, same goes for my bike.

Not sure what is going on but my breathing gets so out of whack i have to stop...takes at least 30 mins. to start breathing normal again. Doesn't seem to matter if i use my inhaler or not! I do have an enlarged heart and asthma but it never caused me these problems before.

Keep telling myself that i've not been active for too long. anyone else having this problem? lifting weights and doing floor exercise do not cause it.

MAy try water arobics next...if that still causes issues guess i'll have to make a doctors appt.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    HI!Went to the dr yesterday-Have a sprain/strain lumbar spine and pelvis.They thought I fx my tailbone,that came back normal.I had a treatment yesterday.No bending or stretching.He wants me to walk 15-20 min a day It doesn`t hurt to walk,hurts when sitting for too long and for sure bending.I have to go every mon for treatment.

He said if I wasn`t as healthy as I am now,it could have been worse.
    I`m 1.5 lbs to where I was before-100lbs lost.I`m getting to my goal,slow and steady despite all the obstacles.
    Going to bed,had a rough night.
    Welcome to all the new ones >Thanks to all of you for your love and support.
    Will try to catch up more .
    Have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Just popping in for a quick hello. This week will be crazy with moving. I'l be glad when my part is done. Next week, I'll be heading up to Tahoe. That will be my reward! I'll not only be moving this week, I'll be painting all my new kitchen cabinets. Crazy, I think. But better than after they're installed.

Amanda, congrats on your anniversary. Your DH sounds like a keeper. Birdie, oldest of 13? Wow. Growing up must have been an adventure. Rebel, congrats on the pound and a half lost. You did it! Robin, hang in there. You can do it. Jane, glad you're feeling a little better. Suzy, a visit to the doc sounds like a good idea.

To everyone, hugs from me.

xx
  • :flowerforyou: Hello! Only started here on MFP last Saturday and I am absolutely thrilled to find this board! So real!! I can relate! Thank you all for taking the time to address the oh-so-genuine issues of living and, especially for the motivation to actually do the upper body weights (I have been shoveling mulch...alas, not too rewarding.) I don't seem to be able to eat all the calories they say - I'm rather stuffed! Ah..but in winter I'll probably match it and more. Kind regards to all. :heart:
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Jane - I am glad nothing is broken, and it is wonderful that you can walk without pain, that is good exercise. Good to hear you are still on track too, Thanks for letting us know. - Ang.

Sallyjcu - I think as long as you eat the minimum calories (for me it is 1200) you will be okay. I have a very hard time eating my minimum some days. I know I could never eat all the calories they say to. They say if you eat all your calories, and any exercise calories you burn, your body will still loose weight, but I don't remember to eat half the time and can't eat too close to bedtime if I want to sleep, So I have been known to eat a spoonful of peanut butter to get to my 1200.
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Good morning everyone.

Jane sorry to hear of your injury but at least you can walk and that's a good thing.

Welcome Sally, I think you'll like it here. Lots of encouragement and great ideas.

Yesterday I stayed under my required calories for the second day in a row. Going for three now. Only exercise was my physical therapy and didn't drink all the water I should have.

Hope today is a better day. Well quilters starts at church in 45 minuetes and I'm not even dressed. I guess I'd better hurry.

Have a good day everyone.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    good morning ladies, i woke up a bit tired(worked out yesterday lots a 75min spinning class and 45min of weights)so i decided to run errands this morning and not exercise, will see if i go for something light later...

@robin.........keep it up everything helps
    @4suzyq2..trying water workouts is good, also weight training, but maybe a dr visit might be a good idea
    @jane.........get better soon and WOW congrats on your 100lbs loss
    @mimi7grands..good luck with your move
    @sallycu.....welcome

have a good day all

:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Good morning ladies,
    Wow so many new faces on here. That is wonderful. Just hard to keep track of all. For those of you that are new I dont answer all posts or individual usually. Just cant keep up. not playing favs just answer what I remember. Good job on loses ladies. For those of you hurting take care and get better. As for the measurements and bloating, I am glad someone mentioned this. I have started having that trouble. I was never one to retain fluids even when I was pregnant I could wear my shoes and my rings and never had a problem. Now I find some days I am so full of fluid. I notice mostly because my breasts do not fit my bras. One day they fit perfectly and even a little large and another day they are popping out. I think this is why my weight fluncuates so much from day to day and hour to hour. I drink lots and lots of water. I always have. I dont add extra salt to anything but I guess I will need to start watching sodium intake. The joys of getting older. LOL. Well enough of my ranting. Have a good day ladies and make good choices.
    vicki M
  • I am still recouping from the knee surgery, have lost about 30 total, and seem to keep losing, following basically c2... I try not to eat anyything after dinner... altho last night had some popcorn, so I was up a lb, but yesterday I hit an all time low, I seem to do that some nights, depending on what I have for dinner, not worried, I know that carbs are not my friend, so I am careful not to eat them at dinner, or very little anyway... hamburger without bun, that kind of thing, perhaps a 1/4 of hubby's potato... or a 1/4 cup of rice....

Keep on going.. it's taken me from March 7 of this year to lose, that is 6 months, but now the task at hand is to KEEP IT OFF

Going to the doctor (ortho) for my 6 week checkup, can you believe it's been 6 weeks since I had the knee surgery? I am driving fine, and walking most places without the cane now.. I hold on to a cart when I go into a store... but that's ok, I did before the surgery too !!!!

Natal
  • Good morning. I'm up with the birds this morning for some reason so I thought I'd say hello.

Jeanne, WTG getting back on track.

Natalie, woo hoo, 30 pounds in 6 months. Great job! I'm glad your knee feels so good now too. Quite a contrast to before the surgery.

My DD had an interesting insight that I wanted to pass along. (She also had a recipe, which I'll get to in a sec.) You may know that I've transformed my thinking about the importance of logging. I often used to skip it if my diet was miserable enough. Recently, I’ve seen the light (with a little – or a lot – of help from my MFP friends) and am doing much (MUCH!) better at staying on track.

Karin’s insight? Not logging when you overeat is akin to closet eating. (For me, it was eating in the car while reading a book.) What!? She's right. It sets up the same cycle of guilt: Eat the wrong things, go unconscious, eat some more. End result, not pretty.

Now for the recipe. Karin served this to my mom and me when we visited her a week or so ago. Delicious, satisfying comfort food that’s low-calorie.

CAULIFLOWER MASH

Ingredients
    1 head cauliflower
    1 potato (use 2 if you want it more potato-ey)
    3 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
    ¼ cup sour cream

Preparation
    Chop / cube the cauliflower and potato.
    Boil until fork tender (very fork tender).
    Drain and mash as much as you can.
    Add the Parmesan and sour cream.
    Stir it up and there ya go.

Karin says she likes the cauliflower even without everything else, just a little milk and mash it up and it fine for her – and even lower in calories.

Here are links to recipes for three other recipes that Karin made. (We were well fed – and on track!) She served the Chicken with Green Olives (I’d like to try Kalamata too) over the Cauliflower Mash. She served the Chicken Sofrito over the Cilantro Lime Rice.

Chicken Sofrito Stew: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/09/sofrito-chicken-stew-5-ww-pts.html#more

Cilantro-Lime Rice: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice-4-pts.html

Chicken with Green Olives: http://www.cookingcache.com/poultry/greekchickenwitholives.shtml?rdid=rc1
  • lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    Reminding myself to eat my fruits and vegies...
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Trying to leave town now, and will see you again on Monday. Until then I will only have my phone, so can't post to the thread or see it. I thought that I would try to get the birthday list going again. If you want added, please send me a message. Have a great weekend! Mary

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    5 – csally01
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55
    28 - genealace
    29 - ritamerlot

February:
    2 – doobiedoo
    7 – 2youngatheart
    7 - jeqrosen
    15 - anotheryearolder
    ? - SuzyQ

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    6 – jeanne3651
    7 - DebKRN
    8 – pmjsmom
    12 – glendaaus
    14 – cj1234cj23
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    21 – cjwil01
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    11 – kel7298
    14 - ildi59
    22 – sceck

May:
    2 – gracete
    2 – janemartin02
    4 – chicletgirl21
    5 – Debma1010
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    13 - jberberian
    20 – mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 – jam0525
    25 – wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3 - eotrg
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    23 - goldwingrider
    27 - Donna56
    30 - RebelRenny

July:
    3 - Iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    8 – BarbieCat1
    20 - TeresaSavage
    27 - mynyddisamrs

August:
    7 - MacMadame
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 – cherubcrnp
    27 - corqueen

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 – ItsTerriC
    22 - gloriaandison

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    19 - Benson
    30 - SallyCC

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    SuzyQ - please let me know what the MD says. There is just one time during our water aerobics class that I feel like I'm out of breath, just one exercise that we do. Not sure what that's all about.

jane - so very proud of you. Getting there despite everything. WTG

Sally - welcome!

Natalie - I, for one, can't believe that it's been 6 weeks since your surgery! Time is sure flying

I wonder if I can sneak cauliflower by Vince by mashing it with a potato??? Guess it's worth a try, anyway.

Did an hour of the Gilad step DVD this morning, then we had the Newcomers general meeting, then the senior bowl, came home (Vince's knee was hurting so he iced it,) had dinner, then back to the bowling alley for the Newcomers league. Tomorrow I'll do a Jillian Michaels DVD,

About that guy who was "hitting" on me at the bowling alley last week. Well, this week Vince's team was bowling right next to ours. That guy didn't hit on me. He did ask me if my husband was a musician or an old hippie....lol

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Good Evening, Dear Ladies,

I have had a good 3 days in a row, which is what I usually need to get back on a roll. I HOPE so. I need to be. It's nice not to have a big group of visitors showing up anytime soon. Eating at home also helps a lot. I've been able to plan my own meals and also not cook for guests. Wish me luck:drinker:

Welcome, welcome all our new ladies. This is a great place for help and support!

Mary; Thank you for keeping up with all the birthdays! That's quite a feat;-)

Natalie: You have done so very well in 6 months! And having your surgery as well and continuing to lose is fantastic! Keep up the great work!

Mimi: Thanks for the recipes. I will make the cauliflower recipe soon...it sounds yummy. Thinking of you and your move!

Robin: Are you back from your trip? Hope it went well and you were able to fit in your exercise, even if it wasn't as much as you
    planned for

Birdie: I've been thinking about your measurement change. I fear that as we age, things shift and, even at the same weight, some areas get bigger. With as much exercise as you get, I am surprised, but I wonder if you mix it up some days with some interval type training (like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video) might help. Or the Gut N Butt type exercises? It could just be fluid as was suggested, but I know life long thin friends who complain about the same thing, so who knows? Keep us posted!

DH has gotten a rotten cold and neither of us slept well last night, so I am yawning now and ready for bed.
    Take care, Kackie:heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :noway: Birdie, I can identify with increased waist size. Mine went out of proportion and it is not fun, despite losing weight. If I could afford it I would have a tummy tuck and have my abdominal muscles repaired.

:flowerforyou: I have been able to stick close to my daily calories, and lost another 1/2 lb. But I won't change my ticker until it's confirmed over the next couple of days. Also have gone back to the gym a couple of times a week. I am breathing a sigh of relief that I feel myself more back on track.

:flowerforyou: Michelle, I admire your diligence in working out.

:flowerforyou: Mimi, your DD cauliflower recipe looks great.

:flowerforyou: congrats to all who lost weight. And good thoughts go out to all who are hurting. You all inspire me.

:flowerforyou: Thanks Mary for the birthday list. Amazing.

Enough for tonight. I am yawning too. Time to go to bed.

:heart: Rebel :heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    :smile: Hi everyone

:huh: I don't seem to be doing too well lately with keeping up with you all. Sorry about that I'm so disorganised lately that I don't know whether I am coming or going. Not sure how I got to this stage :noway: :noway: I get up really early walk the dogs then check my emails etc and then the next thing I know I'm late for work and I haven't even logged on to MFP.

:flowerforyou: I haven't had time to check all the posts yet, but congrats to all the losers and encouraging thoughts to those who need it.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newcomers,

:flowerforyou: Sunday I am going to the anniversary party of an ex colleague and although I haven't lost the weight I put on during my holiday, I'm going to stop worrying now and just enjoy the evening. There'll be lots of dancing I heard there's going to be a celidh (?) I'm not sure of the spelling, but I'm looking forward to it. As I'm at work the next morning I'll not be drinking too much! I must remember to take my camera.

Well it's gone 7am and I need to get my pack up sorted and then get ready. I wish I could afford to retire :laugh: but I've got to keep on going for a few more years yet, hey ho!

Chat again soon.

Viv xx
  • Hi All! Hope progress (everything in moderation..even moderation!) m34444444444 (that's one of my cats - Twinkles - at the keyboard) is being made today - no matter what today's goal may be! Anyone know the interpretation of Mary's quote (I think she is away this weekend)
    ad astra per aspera. Something about hope - aspirations??

Got an e-mail for Macy's with a sale on foundations and before the pics came up I thought they were talking about, ya know, bras! Just thinkin' too practically I guess. lol

I've had the cauliflower recipe - it is delicious and now, Mimi, thank you for sharing the recipe so we can make it!

Take care y'all :happy:
  • Thanks for the peanut butter tip. Must work - your weight has dropped quite a bit!:heart:
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Good morning everyone! Thanks Mim for the recipe. That one I know I can eat.

Jane hope your treatments are helping.

Went back to water aerobics yeaterday. It sur felt good to be back. Then went to physical therapy and they told me to take it easy with a couple of the exercises as they might undo all the progress we've made on my shoulder.

I've had three good eating days in a row YAH!!! I'd like to say I'm back on track but I think it's to earley. But I am taking it One Day at a Time.

I already have my menu made out for the day. Fiqure I will do menu one day at a time this week and then try to do a full week so DH can go shopping and make sure I have all the stuff I need. So fae I've planned around food that is already here.

I'm going to church to assemble bulletins this morning and then walking - it's wingy and chilly here so I walk inside the church.

Sally, good to see you here with us for a second day. Stick with us you'll do fine.

Congratulations to all this who have lost weight. To those who haven't take it One Day at a Time, Know matter how fast it seemed to come on it really didn't it came on slow. It will come off slow.

God Bless everyone - Have a great day!