Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-September 2011

Options

Replies

• Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Wow Amy you look AMAZING I can't believe how flat your stomach is after only 14 days! Glad you're doing so well!
    Love the new pic of you and baby Annie! Sorry to hear her tear ducts are blocked, glad thought that you've been through it before and that it's not serious!
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Amy, love the pictures, you look awesome! Wish I had thought to do that. I may try to post a three week post baby picture tomorrow. Glad you are getting out too, it does feel good just to have some fresh air.

Heather, I am happy to hang here a bit longer too. As long as you all aren't tired of my moaning and groaning about being so inactive! I did get a walk in yesterday and today is much nicer so my sister is heading over soon to help me walk the dogs again today. Husband has a meeting tomorrow, so we should be able to walk the dogs when he gets home early and he's off Thur/Fri, which should get me to at least four days of walking this week. I am going to be a rebel and start adding a little more length to my walks - I feel good and am not having any increased bleeding, which is what I was to be watching for as an indicator of overdoing it. As for goals after I get clearance to workout again, start back to running. This will have to be a much slower approach than what I had hoped for, but will start out with a three day a week goal not sure what I will have to cut my mileage to, maybe 6-8?? I also plan to use the Tracy Anderson mat workout you recommended 3-4x week. Very exciting to be at the 34 week appointment - whoo hoo! I bet your weight will also fall right off, especially with breastfeeding! Eating healthy and clean makes a BIG difference, I eat very little processed food and make at least 85% of our meals from scratch. I do have treats as I love to bake and always have cookies, breads and cake/cupcakes around, I just make sure to limit my quantity and make sure I have the calories for them. I also cook and bake with real butter, cream and ingredients as I think having the real deal makes for eating smaller portions and is much more satisfying, plus you never feel like you are missing out on something.

svgarcia, congratulations on your 5K, excellent work! I opted for the screening tests. I am a bit older and have worse odds due to that. My husband and I had lots of conversations and just felt better knowing what our odds might be. Had some of the tests come back questionable we would have done an amnio, but luckily all looked great and we ended up with a very healthy, perfect bambina!! On your birthday too! As I always advise people, listen to your gut and do what is best for you.

Belgiumlady, the recovery time is definitely longer with a c-section, but is also quite manageable in my opinion. Definitely nice if you know about it ahead of time so that you can plan to have some additional help in the early days. I'll be three weeks post delivery/c-section tomorrow and I am feeling great! As I know many of us don't want the c-section, if it's the best thing for our babies than that's what we need to do. I am amazed that you are keeping so active with those twins growing in your belly, you rock!

So many have ultrasounds coming up in the next few days - keep us posted for those of you finding out the sex!

Ashley, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy and indulge on your dinner tonight :-)

Holly
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    I am using the excuse of pregnancy brain as to why I couldn't figure out what was going on with the last board. Haha.

Just finished reading all of the new posts...So excited to see that everyone is doing so well and is so motivated!

Happy Birthday Ashley!

Amy and Holly, you are both so inspirational! I can only hope to look and be doing so amazing post-pregnancy!

Excited for all you ladies possibly finding out the sex of the baby in the next few days! Keeping my fingers crossed that there aren't any shy babies!

Kristy, bear in mind that there is a good chance that the u/s will give false info. And I agree with Heather, regardless of what you find out if you get the early u/s done, you might want to hold off purchasing any sex specific items until you have more accuracy in the u/s. Which kind of makes me think, what's waiting another couple of weeks? But it would be entertaining! Possibly more-so if you get it performed now and later, and the results are contrary to one another! That's actually opening a whole other can of worms..because then I think I would wonder which u/s was the accurate one..Good luck in your deicison! :huh:

Had a great weekend! Was up early Saturday for the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer 5K Walk, which was very nice despite walking in the chilly rain. It felt cleansing. And it is always so inspirational. Had my family (who also participated in the 10K run) come over for brunch after, then went to the mall with my mom. The evening was spent relaxing with my husband. Sunday morning started with a 4 mile walk with my pups. My husband and I then went baby furniture shopping after mass and visiting with family. Found an amazing store with 80 + cribs. A bit mentally exhausting, but worth it! My goal is to have the furniture ordered in the next week or so because I've been told the lead time is typically 8 weeks. I really want to have the babies room ready by end of November so that I'm not trying to arrange furniture in my 9th month. And I'm really pushing it! Actually, this post made me realize just how close I am cutting it. I NEED to have the furniture ordered in the next week or so. Haha.

My other (Dietary & Exercise) goals for the week are
    Eat out no more than twice (includes lunch/dinner meals)
    Walk my dogs 4/5 times
    Yoga 2/3 times
    Cardio/strength DVD 2/3 times.
    Last week I faired very poorly on my goals, and I intend to make this week much better!

Costco trip planned for tonight with the Hubs, so I need to work around that for my activity choice. But dinner is already cooking! I pulled my Slow-Cooker out after many months of non-use and can't wait to try the Chicken that should be waiting for me.

Have a great afternoon!
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    pum
  • paulandrea
    Options
    bump lol
  • paulandrea
    Options
    hello Ladies
    we had our appointment yesterday and everything is going well. hear the baby's heart is very exciting.
    i can't wait for next week to know the sex of my baby. <3
  • paulandrea
    Options
    and... 19 weeks and only 4 pounds more.:)
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Happy B-day Ashley!!!! Hope you have a great day, and enjoy your dinner!!!!

Kristy - If I had the option of a $40.00 U/S I would do it!!!! I have a friend who is 15 weeks and works at a hospital so she snuck in for a quick peak, and found out she's having a boy...I wish I could get a couple extra u/s during the pregnancy, just for fun but only the one in the beginning and the one at 22 wks is available to me, unless otherwise instructed by my doc. It will be fun, just don't get your heart set on the sex determined on what they say as it is a little early, but who wouldn't want a peek at the baby. :)

Amy - You look GREAT!!!!! Congrats!!!

Rayna - Just for fun, I'm guessing your having a boy. IDK why that's my guess, but I like guessing these kinds of things. LOL. Good Luck tomorrow, can't wait to hear the news!!!!!

Rosanna - I have chicken in my crock pot too!!! Hoping it turns out.

Tonight will be a great night, plan on doing yoga, going for a walk (if it don't rain), and helping my son clean his room. Good thing dinner is half way done!!!!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Just popping in really quick for an update. My 34 week appt went well. I ended up only gaining 1lb in the past 6 weeks so I'm up by 26lbs instead of 27. As long as I'm in the 25-35lb range I will be very happy and I've got about 4 to 8wks left so we shall see. The baby's heartrate was still in the 130s and I'm measuring at 33 weeks but my doc isn't concerned at all. She actually said she wished all of her patients were as fit and healthy as I am and that my "abs of steel" will make pushing so much easier and is what is keeping me look so "tiny".... It is nice to hear your doctor talk so wonderful about you that's for sure. I also got my flu shot today as well. Also, she is still head down and the doc said that at this point she is too big to flip around so she is certain that she will be in position when the time comes! Yay!

Amy you look absolutely fantastic!!! I bet most women would die to look like that even without just having a baby! What an inspiration! Sorry to hear Miss Annie has a clogged tear duct, hope she gets better soon.

Holly sounds like you are doing awesome! I think you will like the Mat Method. It is an awesome toning workout. Just make sure to make your arm and leg moves very deliberate and strong and don't be "sloppy" or else you won't get the full benefits. :) I recommend putting a full length mirror and doing the movements in front of it. It helped me so I didn't have "lazy" arms and lifted my legs higher. Let me know how it goes after your first go :)

Quick chicken crock pot tip...usually when I have made chicken and reheat it, it gets dry and tastes kinda funny. The only way I've found to avoid this is to defrost chicken breast and add white cooking wine and dry Italian season packet to the chicken. Cook on low for at least 8 hours and then when you store the remainder of it in the fridge pour in the liquid that it had cooked it. It will be so juicy and just flake off when you heat it up!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Betterbalance- happy bday. Hope u enjoyed Ur day and indulged.

Do any if u fo to the dentist while pregnant? And is the numbing thing safe?
    Amy you look fabulous --hope I get took pre-pregnancy afterwards that quick. Have u been eating clean throughout pregnancy?
    Heather I so admire u for look soooo fit and fab. That must've felt great for Ur Dr to tell u that. I saw the informercial to the tracey Anderson exercise. It looks good . May wanna purchase after I give birth.
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi All!

I searched for a 'pregnancy' thread and saw this one and I would love to join if you'll have me!! I just joined MFP because I want to stay healthy for my little boy that is on the way! We're 19 WEEKS TODAY!!!!! Everything is going well and I am feeling good but in the beginning I was definitely strayed away from healthy foods. I literally could not look at salad and all I wanted to eat was carbs. Needless to say...I am on a much better eating track right now which is fabulous...but I just want to keep that ball rolling!

I will catch up with the thread when I have some time...but I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully I can join in!

Good luck and congrats to everyone on here!!! :flowerforyou:
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I finally found the part 2 of this group ...

Any overweight preggie mums here? I'm 31 excepting my 4th child in March (as I mentioned before in my intital intro). Before finding out I was pregnant, I started a life change in Jan ... losing up until the summer 60lbs. I'm currently 200lbs - eventually wanting to lose 25 to 35 more lbs after the birth. Not sure how my weight will change until Mar but I'm working to gain too much ... and looking for friends, support, ideas -- thank you! And I'm wishing everyone a happy successful safe and easy pregnancy/birth.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, quick check in after my 12week appointment yesterday with my new Dr. Everything went well and I was very exited to learn that I will be able to have this Dr. as my and baby’s family Dr. from now on (family Dr.’s are even harder to find than OB’s in my area!). So I was told I’m considered low risk and everything went well, blood work is urine test, and pap test smear are all at the lab. So because of the clear heartbeat & clean bill of health I was given Bobby and I gave our moms the go ahead to tell the rest of the family last night (an hour later it was on facebook! Yikes between a small town and social media, news travels really fast!).
    My Dr. did confuse me regarding the whole exercise thing, I don’t think she’s used to too many active moms to be because when I asked what I could continue doing as exercise she kinda gave me mixed answers. First she told me that I could continue anything I was previously doing, and to just not take on a new sport/activity, then in the same breath she told me I should keep my heart rate under 120!!! At that I mentioned that the night before at the gym I went onto the elliptical and checked my heart rate after a minute or so of starting to see what my “resting” rate was and it was 128 (according to that machine, so I know its not accurate), and that 120 would be me walking leisurely and not keeping up with my regular routine. She then basically said to make sure I was never even slightly winded and to keep my heart rate as low as possible.
    Does anyone else thing 120 way too low?

Ash,
  • BelgianLady
    Options
    Holly - thanks for the advice, I can' t believe it's 3 weeks already wow time flies. It is reassuring to know that your recovery is well under way and of course we have to do what's best for the baby/ies. Take care

Amy - wow very very impressive, I bet these pictures will inspire everyone here when we feel down or have no energy to exercise

Heather - thanks for the appointment update, great to know that you are doing excellent! all these weeks of exercise paying off! I cant believe you only gained 1 pound in 6 weeks at this stage wow. No worries about the measuring - 1 week difference is nothing
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My Dr. did confuse me regarding the whole exercise thing, I don’t think she’s used to too many active moms to be because when I asked what I could continue doing as exercise she kinda gave me mixed answers. First she told me that I could continue anything I was previously doing, and to just not take on a new sport/activity, then in the same breath she told me I should keep my heart rate under 120!!! At that I mentioned that the night before at the gym I went onto the elliptical and checked my heart rate after a minute or so of starting to see what my “resting” rate was and it was 128 (according to that machine, so I know its not accurate), and that 120 would be me walking leisurely and not keeping up with my regular routine. She then basically said to make sure I was never even slightly winded and to keep my heart rate as low as possible.
    Does anyone else thing 120 way too low?

Ash,

Ash,

Every doctor is different therefore you may hear a variation of answers. My doctor finally have me the two thumbs up to start working out but I have to keep my heart rate under 150!! Needless to say a while back I really pushed the envelope a little too much and ended up feeling faint, light headed and extremely dizzy. Thank goodness my husband was there and we were able to just sit aside until it passed.

I think we all try to keep our heartbeat to a minimum (I try to stay under 160) when possible and then walk until it goes back down and then I'll speed back up again...

I would say use your best judgement....you know your body best.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Thanks for the all the happy b-days! We had a great dinner - a Cuban place with lots of tapas. We had so much yummy food. My husband is the best gift buyer ever. I got flowers at work, a hummingbird feeder (I mentioned I wanted one), 2 pernatal massages and a new Coach bag! He was excited b/c he got a great deal on the bag. We went to dinner at like 6:30 and were on the couch watching a gory movie by 8 and in bed by 10.

I have a Polar RS 100 HRM and I love it; I forgot who asked about it. I was obsessed with wearing it for a while - I'd wear it at the grocery, while cleaning, painting, etc.

Ash - 120 sounds really really low to me. Some drs say to stay below 140 but i hae not heard 120. My dr. said do what I've been doing and if I can talk then I am fine. I have had a hard time with not pushing myself to hard as I tended to do previously, but now sort of relish in taking it easy and walking some during my runs. I mean I'm still getting a great workout in, but instead of running hills, I walk up them. And I'm lifting lighter. You may want your dr to clarify anyways though.

Sounds like everyone has great goals this week! I am either going to go to the gym and do 30 mins or strenght and 30 mins of cardio or come home and do strength, cut the back yard and walk the dog. My husband is at a conference tonight so I have to fend for myself for dinner.

Oh, holy crap Amy! You look great! And Heather, your weight gain is also great. Holly, glad you are feeling good as well.

Hope you all have a great day!

-Ashley
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Ashley...it was me that was asking about the HRM's! I returned the New Balance one I got and am ordering the Polar. I know I won't have issues with it as I LOVE my old Polar! So I'm excited for that to come!

Last night I wasn't feeling so hot...but I did do my yoga workout. That helped a little. On a happy note...I'm 12 weeks today!! One more week in this first trimester!!! VERY exciting!!

Hoping to get in either my strength/cardio workout or a run in this evening. We shall see...

Have a great day!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow...so many posts to catch up on!

Amy~ I must say, you look absolutely amazing!

To the dentist question...I did get my teeth cleaned just recently....but I don't know about having other work done, or numbing.

The doctor told me to keep my heart rate under 150. I've also read as long as you can keep a conversation going while working out, you're fine at whatever it is. The main thing is to stay hydrated.

AFM ~ 3 weeks left til our 20 week u/s when we find out if it's a girl or boy. This time can NOT go fast enough!!! It's funny how everyone I talk to is surprised that I'm finding out & thinks that I shouldn't. I was always the opposite when someone was pregnant...but I'm a need to know kinda gal & a planner! :)
    Going to be getting on that treadmill today. I missed yesterday b/c we were having work done on our house...but no excuses today! ;)
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    svgarcia thank you so much for the kind words! :) I haven't tried the Metamorphisis line Tracy Anderson has just come out with...but I'm sure it is just as awesome as her other workouts. I highly recommend starting with her Mat Workout and going from there. As for the dentist, Holly can give you a better answer but as far as I know everything is safe during pregnancy except the xrays. It is actually highly advised to see your dentist while you are pregnant because yours gums are more prone to infections which can be carried to the baby and cause preterm labor!

Welcome heniko and jchecca! Jump right in! There are lots of Pregnancy forums on MFP but this one prides itself on being active and continuing with exercise (as much as possible) throughout the pregnancy as well as making a serious effort to eat healthy and stay fit. So if that sounds like something that is part of your life, we'd love to have you! This is the second board in September so I'd advise you to scan through the first board as there is tons of info on caloric intake, exercise, etc. :) We are happy to have you join us!

Ash so glad you like your doc and that you've found a family physician as well. My doc who will be delivering Charlee is also a family physician. I find they are as a whole a little bit more conservative though. Mine is very much supportive of my very active lifestyle and has never once put a restriction on my heart rate. She has said to listen to my body and that if I get dizzy or can't breath then obviously I'm pushing too hard and to back it off a little bit. But besides that she said to go for it! This is a hard one because almost every doctor has a different point of view on the subject. They all agree activity is important during pregnancy, but at what rate? I'm a true believer in staying at the same level fitness wise as you were prepregnancy and adjusting your workouts as things come up (like me not able to do high impact because it literally felt like my boobs would rip off my body they were so big and hurt so bad...tmi sorry). The 120 hr seems really low and I've never come across any research that supported keeping your heart rate that low. Most of the recent research I've found supports going by the rate of perceived exertion and keeping it to where you can carry on a conversation during your workout as opposed to a certain heart rate. I would never give advice that I didn't truly believe in or to tell you to ignore your doctor, but this might be an area where you do your own research and decide what is right for you.

Begianlady my weight gain has slowed down dramatically since I gained so much in the beginning of the pregnancy due to Clomid/Progesterone. My doc isn't concerned at all so I'm not going to stress about not gaining more weight! lol How are those babies of yours treating you?

Ashley sounds like you had an awesome birthday! So glad you had a fantastic day!

Kristen I have the Polar F11 heart rate monitor and I LOVE it! Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Women-Orange/dp/B001AISA0I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Oh and congrats and welcome to the second trimester! :)

So many people getting u/s soon! How exciting! Must mean there is a large group of ladies close to the 18-22 week point in the pregnancy.

Rayna keep us updated (like you could stay away and not tell us! lol).

So as of lately my ribs feel like they are about to crack wide open! They are so sore and when I push on them I can feel pops in my spine! It is getting harder to breath as well. I keep making heavy breaths and Al has finally stopped asking "What's wrong?" cause he would just get the same answer..."I can't breath!!!" lol I'm hoping she drops soon so my rib cage doesn't break apart and I can finally breath. I'm okay with hanging out in the bathroom if it means I can breath again! :) I slept absolutely horrible last night so I'm feeling "blah" today. Still gracious and grateful for this pregnancy and my sweet baby growing inside of me...but I'm definitely entering that uncomfortable stage and I'm really getting anxious to meet this little rib breaker!

Have a wonderfully healthy day ladies!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    babeed854 - I like the low band so far. I've been wearing them to work because they keep it so cold in our office. I don't really like the way they kind of bunch up at the top of my butt where the jean material meets the band, but it's not that bad because I've been wearing looser shirts.

I think we'll go ahead and do the early u/s, but as you ladies have said, we won't trust the outcome 100% and won't buy anything gender specific until we have our 20 week one. I just want to see the baby again and $40 isn't much. :)

Rayna - Today is the big day! So excited to hear what you're having! :)

Well, I didn't do my yoga last night. I got home from work around 1:20pm, ate lunch, fell asleep (didn't sleep well that night), then had to go babysit for a few hours. By the time I got home, it was time to cook dinner and then get ready for bed. Today is a new day though and I'll be hitting the gym for some cardio today. :)