Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Pouring rain AGAIN, but I joined the gym, so at least I'll still be able to exercise this morning. Looks like my run will be on the treadmill.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Pouring rain AGAIN, but I joined the gym, so at least I'll still be able to exercise this morning. Looks like my run will be on the treadmill.
    Yay for the gym!! Put that treadmill on 2% incline and it'll be as close to running outside as you can get.!

Crosstraining and upper body day for me. I'm going to let my legs rest the next 2 days for my half.
    Tonight I will be packing everything for my trip. My friends and I got matching (but different colored) shirts for our race. I'm not a huge fan of the shirt. It's fit is awkward. But I will be a good sport and wear it anyway! lol
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Kimert - I generally do upper body strength training the day before my long run - is that what you do?

summertime - I hate running in hard rain, a light rain I'm good with . I ran my marathon is a downpour and ended up with blisters on my arches and shivering that wouldn't end, no thanks! I do intervals when I have to treadmill train cuz I get bored so fast.

I did Cario Recovery this AM, I'm traveling the next two days. Hoping to run 6 or 12 miles in the big city depending on how much time I have since I'm there for business.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Kimert - I generally do upper body strength training the day before my long run - is that what you do?
    Yes usually, but this race is out of town and I won't have access to a gym or even any free weights. So, I will be just doing whatever walking and playing with the kids we do that day at my mother's. I could pack a kettlebell but the ones we have for home are pretty big 54lbs and up and usually anything KB I do is total body. But I know it'll all work out this weekend.

Good luck with your long run!
  • slb106
    Options
    3 mile run tonight...last run before my half!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Good luck! Smash the half! Can't wait to hear about it. :)
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i'm in!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    What does everyone use for nourishment/energy during races? Gels? which are best?
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Good Luck!
  • linnea213
    Options
    What does everyone use for nourishment/energy during races? Gels? which are best?

I'm wondering too. I have used the jelly belly beans once, they were ok but so many people talk about the GU I'm interested in trying something different.
  • linnea213
    Options
    Did 5 miles yesterday while watching my dvr'd Glee on the treadmil l(rained on and off yesterday). I'm going to crosstrain today with a 15 mile bike ride and JM30DS. Then my weekly weigh in...
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Pre race I eat half a bagel or an eng muffin/toast with a tbsp of peanut butter.
    At mile 6 I eat a few Honey Stinger chews or Sportsbeans then I just refuel during the race (or long run) as I need to. I have tried Gu and can't stand the texture, Gu chomps are huge and it takes me forever to chew one... The sportsbeans are small and the Honey Stinger chews are soft, both are easy to chew and get down quickly. I carry a handheld water bottle (16 oz) with Nuun added. I can't really say what is best but this is what works best for me.
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Eeek, I have just found out I have a place in the London Marathon in April next year. I can't even run anywhere near 5k yet!! Has anyone managed to train from scratch for a marathon in 7 months??
  • sjcply
    Options
    I got 16 miles in this week! Next week I will increase it! I lost 3.5 lbs this week! :bigsmile: Woohoo! I am excited with my progress so far! I am ready for my races to get here!

quick question;
    I am currently running 4 miles 4 days a week, I have a 5K in @ 22 days.....I am trying to get faster for my race. Should I quit running 4miles and just focus on doing the 3.1 miles at a faster pace? or keep increasing my distance, and not worry about my speed.

(I have a 10K in November and half in March, so I am working for distance in the long run.)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I got 16 miles in this week! Next week I will increase it! I lost 3.5 lbs this week! :bigsmile: Woohoo! I am excited with my progress so far! I am ready for my races to get here!

quick question;
    I am currently running 4 miles 4 days a week, I have a 5K in @ 22 days.....I am trying to get faster for my race. Should I quit running 4miles and just focus on doing the 3.1 miles at a faster pace? or keep increasing my distance, and not worry about my speed.

(I have a 10K in November and half in March, so I am working for distance in the long run.)

You don't want to do speed work every day, but if you want to pick up your pace, I would do a speed work out (intervals / fartleks)once a week, and a tempo run (say warm up a mile , run at race pace 2 miles , cooldown last mile) once a week. The other two days, stick with you regular pace.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Eeek, I have just found out I have a place in the London Marathon in April next year. I can't even run anywhere near 5k yet!! Has anyone managed to train from scratch for a marathon in 7 months??

Wow, that would be tough. Probably possible if you are already fairly fit. Most marathon training plans are about 14- 16 weeks, but they assume you are already at the point of doing 15-20 miles a week, and capable of handling at least an 8 mile long run at the start of the plan. It will take you at least a few months to get to that point. Working up your mileage too much too soon is begging for an injury. One of the more experienced runners (maybe earlier on this thread, or check MFP runner's club thread) recommneded a year of establishing your running 'base' before tackling a marathon. And of course, it depends on your goal. If you want to really race it, 7 months is pushing it. If you are going to run/walk and just try to finish for fun, that may be much more possible.
  • sjcply
    Options

quick question;

You don't want to do speed work every day, but if you want to pick up your pace, I would do a speed work out (intervals / fartleks)once a week, and a tempo run (say warm up a mile , run at race pace 2 miles , cooldown last mile) once a week. The other two days, stick with you regular pace.

makes total sense! Thanks!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles this morning, and a long ride. Zumba and a 30 minute run yesterday. Hectic weekend coming up!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you work out the details and don't think you'll be ready, do you have the option to run the Half marathon instead? I know most races will let you opt out of the marathon and run the Half up to the day of the race itself so that might be an option if the full thing just isn't going to be doable.