Challenge to fellow black teamers!

Options

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Batman is in

You crack me up. LOL

I'm in! I did it yesterday (sweet, sweet clementines & sweet potatoes. MMmmmm) Working on it today. I think I'm nearly there! I normally don't have a fruit problem, but dang it if I don't have a veggie problem. *gag*
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :noway: :devil: :sick: :brokenheart: Hi...so I am trying to break this :mad: :angry: plateau.

I also want to meet my goal of veggies and fruits.

Laura, today I had a full fat philly cheese steak with fried french fries fried!!!
    But, I knew I also had to meet my veggie requirements, so dont worry I had them add fried onions, peppers and mushrooms.....AND I had ketchup on my fried french fried fries!!!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am on the Purple Team but I just want you to know how proud I am of you guys for setting some challenges up and all that. My team isn't hardly doing anything! I have left posts and no one is responding at all. Only a couple of us are putting up any posts. I don't know what to do about that. Any ideas?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :noway: :devil: :sick: :brokenheart: Hi...so I am trying to break this :mad: :angry: plateau.

Laura, today I had a full fat philly cheese steak with fried french fries fried!!!
    But, I knew I also had to meet my veggie requirements, so dont worry I had them add fried onions, peppers and mushrooms.....AND I had ketchup on my fried french fried fries!!!

Ahhh you're making me drool! Have some ice cream or something tonight for dessert and then get right back on track tomorrow...and don't skimp on your other meals today to make up for it, my friend...make sure you go WAY over your calories today...hopefully that will shock your system into dropping some pounds! Banks says that this helps sometimes, and like I said...it worked for me and I dropped 3 pounds...but it was definitely hard to get back on track...but I know you shouldn't have a problem. And good job on your veggies lol...
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    I am on the Purple Team but I just want you to know how proud I am of you guys for setting some challenges up and all that. My team isn't hardly doing anything! I have left posts and no one is responding at all. Only a couple of us are putting up any posts. I don't know what to do about that. Any ideas?

Renae, try posting a challenge of your own...make up something that is a bit of a stretch but attainable...like drinking all of your water or staying within your calories for the whole week or exercising for at least 30 minutes three times in the week...something creative...see if they reply to your challenge...just keep in mind that everyone comes online at different times of the day, so they may not have even seen your posts...don't give up though...we want you to succeed...we just want you to succeed just a teeny bit LESS than we succeed :laugh:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Well someone posted a challenge about not eating salt. I believe a few people responded to that one but not many at all. I started posting things last night but still not many responses so oh well. I guess I will take it as it comes. Thanks hun!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Well someone posted a challenge about not eating salt. I believe a few people responded to that one but not many at all. I started posting things last night but still not many responses so oh well. I guess I will take it as it comes. Thanks hun!

I think it may just be that yoru team members are not at a computer, or are with family...or the dreaded hangover!! Monday things will be back to normal!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Ahhh you're making me drool! Have some ice cream or something tonight for dessert and then get right back on track tomorrow...and don't skimp on your other meals today to make up for it, my friend...make sure you go WAY over your calories today...hopefully that will shock your system into dropping some pounds! Banks says that this helps sometimes, and like I said...it worked for me and I dropped 3 pounds...but it was definitely hard to get back on track...but I know you shouldn't have a problem. And good job on your veggies lol...

This is me after that 1200 calories meal
    :frown: :embarassed: :sick: :sick: :yawn: :yawn:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Duuuuhhhhh....please ignore me. I'm a dolt tonight.
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    I'm down for this challenge!

I DEFINITELY don't eat enough of either so I'm really excited to do it!
  • 3babybeans
    Options

I need to know what y'all think. My husband & I were just having a discusion about potatoes....would that be considered a vegetable or a grain/startch. I'm pretty sure SWEET potatoes/yam are in the veggie catagory (RIGHT, PLEASE?!) but yukon golds don't seem like they should fit there. What do you think?

New pic of Owen! I LOVE IT! :love:
  • Vanessa414
    Options

I need to know what y'all think. My husband & I were just having a discusion about potatoes....would that be considered a vegetable or a grain/startch. I'm pretty sure SWEET potatoes/yam are in the veggie catagory (RIGHT, PLEASE?!) but yukon golds don't seem like they should fit there. What do you think?

Yeah I usually count potatos in the grain/starch category. I wonder what they are technically??

Thanks! He makes so many weird faces and its hard to get them on camera, but i got this one!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    OK - got my 3: :smokin: :smokin:

2 clementines for breakfast
    tossed salad for dinner
    fresh corn for dinner..

This was a great challenge - not hard for me because I like veggies, but made me think about it..

Not sure about potatoes. I agree sweet potatoes might be OK for veggie as they have much vitamin A, but I'm not sure what white potatoes have to offer other than starch, and maybe some vitamin E.

Any nutritionalists out there??

jb
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Yeah I usually count potatos in the grain/starch category. I wonder what they are technically??

Thanks! He makes so many weird faces and its hard to get them on camera, but i got this one!

Oh, I know ALL about the weird faces from kids. My middle boy makes this HORRIBLE "CHEEEEESE" fact where he looks like he's getting ready to attack. LOL
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    I'm only getting one serving in today unfortunately.

Well, actually...

make that 2. I'm having salisbury steaks for dinner and i'm going to make some Campbells Broccoli and Cheese soup (98% fat free) and i'm steaming real broccoli and mixing it in. I wasn't going to, but I think i'll have corn too so that I get two servings in :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    they are a veggie, but are also starch. Oh my aching head, can we seek the answer to this riddle tomorrow>>:grumble: :laugh: :laugh:

I used to get mad when I was a kid when my mom would say Eat your fruit...referring to my tomatoes!
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    I just had 5 different types of vegetables, and probably multiple servings of each veggie tonight for dinner. My mom made pork and saurkraut so with it I had 8 ounces of baked sweet potato, broccoli, green beans, 2 servings of sweet corn, and a salad. So that's like seven servings...and I never would have had that much if I hadn't issued this challenge...I certainly can't be losing my own challenge lol. Keep up the great work you guys...keep getting those veggies in!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    From http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/month/potato.html
    Shortened for your viewing pleasure!

Vegetable of the Month: Potato
    Potatoes were introduced to North America in the 18th century via Irish immigrants:noway: , however their native home is South America. Potatoes were first cultivated in the Andes Mountains over 7,000 years ago. Many kinds of potatoes are seen in restaurants, grocery stores, and even homes today, but the most common of these are the russet, round white, and the red potato. Potatoes are tough and durable, store well, and have an impressive nutritional content including being a
    rich source of fiber, potassium and vitamin C. Like other fruits and vegetables, potatoes are a low calorie food and are free of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Keep in mind, however, that the leaves and stems of a potato plant are poisonous and may cause illness when ingested.

Russet Potato
    Serving Size: 1 med. potato, baked (173g)
    Calories 160
    Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 15mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 37g 12%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 14%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 4g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 30%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 10%

Red Potato
    Serving Size: 1/2 cup, cooked (85g)

Calories 70
    Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 5mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 15g 5%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 2g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 30%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 4%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Consuming baked and grilled potatoes with the skin left on provides the most nutrients.

Recipes
    Broccoli Baked Potatoes
    Makes 6 servings (serving size 1 potato)
    Each serving equals 1 1/4 cups of fruit or vegetables
    Source: Produce for Better Health

Ingredients

6 medium Idaho potatoes
    3 stalks broccoli
    ¼ cup skim milk
    1 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
    1/8 tsp pepper

Scrub potatoes. Make shallow slits around the middle as if you were cutting the potatoes in half lengthwise. Bake until done, 30 to 60 minutes, depending on size. Peel broccoli stems. Steam whole stalks just until tender and chop finely. Carefully slice the potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a bowl with the broccoli. Add the milk, 3/4 cup cheese and pepper. Mash together until the mixture is pale green with dark green flecks. Heap into the potato jackets and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return in oven to heat through (about 15 minutes). Oven: 350°F. Time: 30 to 60 minutes; 15 minutes to melt cheese or to reheat.

Nutritional analysis per serving (1 potato): Calories 346, Protein 24g, Fat 7g, Calories From Fat 17%, Cholesterol 20mg, Carbohydrates 44g, Fiber 14g, Sodium 327mg.

:flowerforyou: Love, the Irishman
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I just had 5 different types of vegetables, and probably multiple servings of each veggie tonight for dinner. My mom made pork and saurkraut so with it I had 8 ounces of baked sweet potato, broccoli, green beans, 2 servings of sweet corn, and a salad. So that's like seven servings...and I never would have had that much if I hadn't issued this challenge...I certainly can't be losing my own challenge lol. Keep up the great work you guys...keep getting those veggies in!

that is great Laura!! And you had many different colors, so you had different nutrients in each! Very proud of you girlfriend!!:flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    From http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/month/potato.html
    Shortened for your viewing pleasure!

Vegetable of the Month: Potato
    Potatoes were introduced to North America in the 18th century via Irish immigrants:noway: , however their native home is South America. Potatoes were first cultivated in the Andes Mountains over 7,000 years ago. Many kinds of potatoes are seen in restaurants, grocery stores, and even homes today, but the most common of these are the russet, round white, and the red potato. Potatoes are tough and durable, store well, and have an impressive nutritional content including being a
    rich source of fiber, potassium and vitamin C. Like other fruits and vegetables, potatoes are a low calorie food and are free of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Keep in mind, however, that the leaves and stems of a potato plant are poisonous and may cause illness when ingested.

:flowerforyou: Love, the Irishman

Thankies, Jeannie! VEGGIE it is! BWAHAHA! I have to remember not to eat those leaves, though! :indifferent: