Once the trust is broken

Options

Replies

• ginny1214
    Options
    Hey everyone!

All the replies are definitely interesting to read people's takes on it all.

Basically what I have to say is this;
    In no way am I acting like a victim. I feel that I had a part in this and that when we fought I was supposed to kiss *kitten* still. If he wanted to call me names, get upset with me, whatever the case may be, it was still MY responsibility to make him feel like a God. We go in spurts, really good, really bad, really good, really bad, and so forth. I participated in our fights. We had only one car, and if he wanted to meet up with someone I was stuck at home with the kids until he decided to come home. He would go out with friends until 5-6am and say it was ok because I would be asleep anyways. He would never even answer his phone if I called to make sure he was ok if I woke up at 3am and he wasn't home. He would tell me he doesn't have to check in with me, I'm not his mom, etc.
    The respect from our relationship has been gone for awhile. Honestly. And it's heartbreaking. And me moving out here, he WANTED me to leave with the kids. Our lease ended and he wanted me to live with my parents out here, and he moved in with his mom, to "save" money, well then it turned into we were going to use this time until Dec as a break. Whatever. I've pretty much decided now that I am not going to try to work on our marriage, I will work on myself, and move on. Because he will always be the same person. I don't think he'll ever change. I don't think he wants to be with just me, when things get rocky he wants to be with another woman. He talks to one woman on the phone at all hours of the night, texts her, etc. I don't know why it's so hard for me, oh maybe it's because I love him and I have two children with him.
    Basically, I'm going to get myself better, and if he wants to do the same then awesome, but I'm tired of all the relationship blame being put on me, I'm tired of feeling like a p.o.s. all the time because I didn't "say the right thing" or whatever it is! I honestly love him, and I could put this past us, but I can't if he isn't willing to take partial blame, and if he isn't willing to participate in making this better. I will definitely start counseling in the next few weeks, I'm going to find a church here, keep working out, going to school, and getting MY life on track, and maybe he'll see that and he will want to change for the better too. But even if we DO stay together, that has to be equal change on both our parts, and we have to be a team, not enemies, and he would have to make ME first in his life, not ANY other women, I don't care who it is.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

In no way am I acting like a victim. I feel that I had a part in this and that when we fought I was supposed to kiss *kitten* still. If he wanted to call me names, get upset with me, whatever the case may be, it was still MY responsibility to make him feel like a God. We go in spurts, really good, really bad, really good, really bad, and so forth. I participated in our fights. We had only one car, and if he wanted to meet up with someone I was stuck at home with the kids until he decided to come home. He would go out with friends until 5-6am and say it was ok because I would be asleep anyways. He would never even answer his phone if I called to make sure he was ok if I woke up at 3am and he wasn't home. He would tell me he doesn't have to check in with me, I'm not his mom, etc.
    The respect from our relationship has been gone for awhile. Honestly. And it's heartbreaking. And me moving out here, he WANTED me to leave with the kids. Our lease ended and he wanted me to live with my parents out here, and he moved in with his mom, to "save" money, well then it turned into we were going to use this time until Dec as a break. Whatever. I've pretty much decided now that I am not going to try to work on our marriage, I will work on myself, and move on. Because he will always be the same person. I don't think he'll ever change. I don't think he wants to be with just me, when things get rocky he wants to be with another woman. He talks to one woman on the phone at all hours of the night, texts her, etc. I don't know why it's so hard for me, oh maybe it's because I love him and I have two children with him.
    Basically, I'm going to get myself better, and if he wants to do the same then awesome, but I'm tired of all the relationship blame being put on me, I'm tired of feeling like a p.o.s. all the time because I didn't "say the right thing" or whatever it is! I honestly love him, and I could put this past us, but I can't if he isn't willing to take partial blame, and if he isn't willing to participate in making this better. I will definitely start counseling in the next few weeks, I'm going to find a church here, keep working out, going to school, and getting MY life on track, and maybe he'll see that and he will want to change for the better too. But even if we DO stay together, that has to be equal change on both our parts, and we have to be a team, not enemies, and he would have to make ME first in his life, not ANY other women, I don't care who it is.

You are 100% on the right track hun.

You should be very proud of yourself. I don't even know you...and I'm proud for you.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

You should be very proud of yourself. I don't even know you...and I'm proud for you.

OP - I am so glad you have posted...and sorry if I was a little harsh/defensive, but I feel that I had to stand up so to speak, partially for you. No-one is a victim and I never thought you put yourself across as one. Just someone, like anybody out there, having trouble through a relationship. We all do at some point in our life, however minor even.

I'[ve been in a similar situation to yours and I didn't want people swaying you in the wrong direction. I must admit the woman and texting thing - I've been there too even tho my parner cheated twice - he was always texting and spending time, eating out with his female friend. Its not nice I know. and you have all sorts of thoughts run through your head. Especially when they just carry on regardless of your talks, pleas etc.

I'm so glad you have done what you have. You are definately on the right track with taking time for you and the kids. And I really do hope your husband sees that you are getting on with your life (like I did when I separeated for a while) - hopefully he will see the changes and ACKNOWLEDGES what he has done, said and put on you. I'm really sorry to hear that you are going through this.

I've made it work with my partner during times when we'[ve lived apart - we still acted like a family unit. Although my circumstances were a little different.

I realise there are some men and women out there who are just simply unwilling to change or even try....sadly, some just don't even realise there'[s a problem, because of their own emotional instability/fear/insecurities (a little bit like my partner). They just need time, guidance and someone to listen - as long as they are willing to accept these things and change.

Stay on track and I am so pleased you are taking this time for you and the children, to make a better life regardless. Take care and know that there are alot of people out there who are a great support line during the low times. There are some great people on MFP who are very supportive because of their own experiences. I have one friend here who was a great support for me.

Take care and I wish you all the best.

Go out there and hold your head high, carry on and do everything for the kids. You seem like a great woman.
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

this really is the best example you can set your kids , good luck hun, i watched my mum start all over again when my parents divorced, she had no job, a big mortgage from buying my dads half and two daughters at home, no driving licence etc...and i grew up a strong bl**dy independent woman! Good luck to you xxx
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I am sorry, but just wanted to say to op, that it sounds like someone needs to kick your hubby in the pants.. :). Sounds like all of a sudden he has decided to makeup what works for him as the rules of the family regardless of how much it hurts others and that is just not right. Been there, and it looks like you picked a great place to vent. Plenty of supporters!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Well you are going to get a you deserve better post because you do. Nothing you could have done makes his grimy cheating *kitten* your fault, and I hope you actually believe that. I don't think the trust can ever be fully repaired. I know some people get counseling and move on but I really do have a hard time believing they trust whole heatedly, that it would never happen again. I personally would end the marriage without a second thought. Because I know I deserve better and I need to be a healthy role model for our child. I really believe people treat you how you allow them to. Accepting this and trying to repair a relationship that he ruined because he obviously cares very little about the relationship does not make sense to me. I'd recommend you move on. You'll be stronger and wiser when all is said and done.
  • messyinthekitchen
    Options
    I didn't have the time here to read all the replies, so pardon me if this has been covered. But cheating, often...takes two (and I don't mean the person he cheated with).

Now...before I get jumped by every woman on the site...let me explain. I had a friend. His Dad...was one of THE most respectable men I've ever met in my life. He loved his wife dearly.

She would not sleep with him as often (meaning, never) as he needed, and she treated him like dirt 75% of the time. Nothing he did for her was good enough...etc. He eventually cheated on her with his secretary...for about two months as a matter of fact.

Here's the thing...when a man...any man...is being treated poorly, day in and day out...for years...with no reward for his efforts...then he goes to work, and is treated like a god by an attractive, sweet, caring girl (yes, we all know she's not those things if she's trying to get him to cheat...he can't see that though, of course)...what is going to happen?

You bet...he's going to cheat...eventually.

I know the guy of course, he felt a level of guilt that most people wouldn't comprehend. He eventually quit his job (why fire the secretary for what he felt was his mistake?), but they hired him back into another office. He and his wife went to counselling, where she learned HER part in it. She changed some...but mostly I think he just resigned himself to living with Satan's grandmother for the rest of his life. They're still together, and this happened just out of high school.

Now, some disclaimers. I don't know the OP, her husband, or anyone else involved. I can say, that any of us giving relationship advice based on her side alone (no matter how real it seems to us)...isn't fair to their MARRIAGE. Note, I didn't say to her...though in the end it's not fair to her either.

It's certainly not fair to their kids, assuming they have children.

I wish you luck with your marriage hun. And for the record...I've been cheated on...and had the person not had other emotional issues causing it...we would have made it through it too. Forgiveness is possible...no matter how IMpossible it seems...you just have to know they deserve it first, then work for it.

Although I agree an abusive partner can be factor, I don't believe that partner is a controling factor of why a person actually cheats. Wanting to and actually doing it are two ends of a spectrum. Being treated badly is not a reason to cheat .. it is an excuse. There is a difference. Sure, mentally one can get worn down .. (male or female) through emotional or mental abuse. Abuse is abuse .. THAT is a whole other dimension. We all know of the remedies for being in an abusive relationship .. Cheating is not even on that list.

Impaired judgement is never a reason to cheat. WE all have weak moments. Much the same as getting looped at a party and having a quickie with someone else in the coat closet .. THAT is still cheating..No one would ever accept the "Well, I was drunk and didn't know what I was doing" excuse. That doesn't work for drinking and driving .. and it won't work here. Much the same goes with a person in an abusive relationship who searches for refuge in the arms of someone else, then goes back to their spouse in either complete denial or worse .. elation that they have just 'gotten away' with it.

Cheating is cheating. It's all about deception and broken promises .. We ALL have moments of weakness .. yet we are not ALL cheaters.

That's no excuse and what a silly excuse for a man. I don't agree AT ALL with what his wife did to him. However he should have manned up and left her. Never ever is it the other persons fault. When you get married you say for better or for worse clearly he forgot that part. There were many steps he could have taken instead of cheating on his wife. And when you make the decisions to cheat you not only screw over the person you are with your screw your whole family over. People need to think twice before making these decisions. I could never respect my father again if he cheated on my mom regardless of their situation. It is the most hurtful thing you can do to someone you're supposed to love. And never is their an excuse for it.
  • Slimindown
    Options
    He hasn't given you any reason to trust him again. He hasn't said he is sorry and he doesn't want to work on your marriage. If he was repentant ( saying he is sorry and committed to never again being unfaithful) and willing to go to counseling and work on your marriage, then you would have a foundation to build trust. At this point, it would foolish to trust him. I have seen marriages healed from this type of harm, but never without both people committed and working hard together.

I am sorry that your husband and friend betrayed your trust. There isn't ANY excuse for their behavior.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    Basically this is how I feel; I want to tell him if he doesn't buck up and act like a man and tAke responsibility for his actions and do the right thing and try to make things work, someone else is going to to step in and raise his kids eventually. Like I'm not trying to be harsh, but he is living with his alcoholic mom and dad now for the time being and there is no way that he will fit me for custody ESP if I join the air force.

So if you tell him this, THEN WHAT?? Do you think that would make any difference? Maybe he's ambivalent, maybe he'll see the error of his ways, maybe he's checked out for good. But in any case, this is SOOOOOOOOOOO not about him. This is about your relationship with yourself and the message you send to your kids. No one has to tell a man to be a man. I agree that marriages can survive adultery....but there's a recipe for that. And it's not your job to give him the ingredients. What you can do is make sure you have what YOU need, which is a forgiving heart (that's for you, not him), a good support system, a relationship with God, and MONEY to take care of yourself and your babies. Telling your husband and his wayward penis what he needs to do is a waste of time and emotion.

I've been through a divorce before and here's what I learned:

Your self-esteem is going to take an enormous hit! And you will be affected in ways you never expected, probably for a few years to come. This is not necessarily a bad thing because you will learn to love yourself in ways that you never expected...IF you don't abort the healing process by focusing on what the other person should have done to make things right.

I think you know where your husband stands. And it sucks that he's in that place. But trying to bring him out of it is not your job. That's a job only for God and you can pray for him to have a heart for his family. And while you pray, participate in your own healing and be the mother your kids need. Get your finances in order and seek wise counsel about your future plans for employment. It sounds like you're doing things to find out who you really are.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is my advice. No one can tell you whether or not you should get back with your husband....that is a decision you have to soul search yourself for. While you can never forget infedility, you can forgive...I know first hand. Both you and your husband have to be 100% whole heartedly ready to give your marriage a try or it will never work. No marriage or relationship is perfect, but if two people are trying their best to make things work it will, and if not, it wont.
    That's my advice, too. I would also strongly suggest that you reach out to a professional (counselor) to help you work through your pain & help you sort out all of your emotions. Regardless of what happens with your husband, I think it would really help you. And also remember, you have no control over your husband's actions--past or future. If he does not truly want to make it work, there is nothing YOU can do about that. No amount of change on your part will keep him faithful, no matter what he tries to make you believe. Also, you are not to blame for what he did. He is a grown man, and had choices, just like the rest of us.

To answer your original question, yes, I know first-hand that trust can be re-built. It is a long, hard road, and it may not be the right road for everyone. It also takes active participation from both parties, and complete honesty, even when it hurts.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. :( Sometimes all you can really do is keep putting one foot in front of the other. Focus on the things you can control. Your husband & his choices are not things you can control.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    That's no excuse and what a silly excuse for a man. I don't agree AT ALL with what his wife did to him. However he should have manned up and left her. Never ever is it the other persons fault. When you get married you say for better or for worse clearly he forgot that part. There were many steps he could have taken instead of cheating on his wife. And when you make the decisions to cheat you not only screw over the person you are with your screw your whole family over. People need to think twice before making these decisions. I could never respect my father again if he cheated on my mom regardless of their situation. It is the most hurtful thing you can do to someone you're supposed to love. And never is their an excuse for it.

I agree with you completely...as I've said, I've never cheated on anyone in my life, except ONE girlfriend back when I was 19 (and it was only 'technically' cheating...she said we were split up). It hurt me more than it hurt her (I lived with it for a long time before I told her). That lesson is one I'll never forget.

The one part I DON'T agree with, is this:
    However he should have manned up and left her.

I'm sorry, under no circumstances is abandoning your family, breaking your home up, and putting your kids through that kind of hell acceptable to me. That's the ONLY thing worse than cheating in my book. If the problem is yours...handle it. If the problem is hers...you deal with it until SHE handles it. He screwed up, as a consequence of indecision, temptation, and probably some level of depression due to her treatment (it wasn't the big things...it was the constant stream of examples of how he wasn't good enough). That didn't make him a bad man...and his kids had many years of a strong male role model in their life due to his decision NOT to leave, even though he screwed up. He put up with years (and probably still is to be honest) of enforced guilt from his wife...who, had he left, I promise you...would never have found another man like him. I can also guarantee he's never had sex not one time since.

Pretty steep punishment for screwing up, in my opinion...particularly since he loved her enough to stick around and take care of her (she didn't work, and hasn't worked since all of us were in High School) to this day.

Now...I also want to quantify this with the statement that I understand and agree completely, that he is in the EXTREME minority. As I've said...there are very few men in this world I like...and even fewer I respect. I am on YOUR side in this...but I would defend this mans decisions with my blood...because not only is he human, and prone to mistakes...but he is one of the few men I know that took full punishment willingly, for the sake of his family.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from here.
  • livnlite
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Good grief, my girl. The writing is on the wall. By the sounds of it, he is extremely emotionally abusive yet you feel he can change .. and start to love you again. Come on ... get a grip! You have to start thinking logically and realistically. LOVE is not something you control .. either you have it or you don't. You can't expect him to miraculously start behaving better ...THAT is a fantasy...not reality. He may have some realistic emotional issues that will have to be settled before he can ever commit to loving anyone. He needs help...it's not something that 'just happens'.

In the meantime though ...
    It's time to grow up and become a responsible adult. You have young children to think about. Being a door mat to an abusive husband is not a good role model for those kids. They are learning everything from you .. even when it comes to what is expected in a 'grown up ' relationship. These children are looking up to you both for guidance on how to become good well adjusted adults themselves .. THIS is not a healthy platform. You can do better than this.

You have to ask yourself ... You say you are still love him. My question to you then is ... Are you in love with HIM or are you in love with who you want him to be?
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Thanks again for replies. In my responses I get I feel that I'm getting great responses from those who have been in my shoes before.
    Of course I want my family to be a family again. Things were rocky, not too bad before the infidelity, but really spiraled out of control after that. I felt that I have done everything in my power to make this marriage work, and he hasn't put forth effort, or showed me that he wants things to be different. And to those who have not been in my shoes before, I don't want to knock what your saying, but when you have children, and are married, and there are hard times, sometimes you look past the person who you are with and who you want them to become, and try to make it work. I do believe that people have the capacity to change, as I know in just 5 weeks I have changed so much since being here, away from the situation. And like I said before, I didn't run off with my kids away from him, he wanted it.
    Right now I will focus on myself and my children, as am why I am going to school, and losing weight to be healthy for them mentally and physically. I know he can change, but he has to WANT it first, and that I will not help him do. I will leave him be, and I will carry on with myself right now. We have had ups and downs, and I have had plenty of opportunities to be unfaithful as well, but you know I DIDNT take them, nor would I. Because I feel if you are unhappy in a relationship and another person comes along, then you need to end the first. I feel that every marriage and relationship is worth working on until you can honestly say I gave it my best. This I can't say for ours. We have NOT given it our best, but I can't make him change, and I can't make him decide what he wants to do in the long run, only he can. I love him and I care for him, and I love him for the person he IS, I don't know how anybody could love someone for the person they could be, I just wouldn't get that.
    Now, on another note, I am not an idiot who is staying in an "abusive relationship". Things were not like this until the infidelity. He needs to decide what HE wants in life. I understand that. I always said if the route he chose was to give up and go, then that was his choice, and if he wanted to work things out, then that's what we would try to do. Now I don't tell him anything, I don't want to fight with him, or argue, it's a waste of my time and more importantly my emotions, and it gets us nowhere. But basically, I am doing what I have to do for myself and my children, and I have goals in life, and I am a great mom and love my kids, and he surprisingly is an excellent father. I have never doubted his love for our children.
    I just wish it didn't have to be this way.

But thanks for all the private messages, and friend requests, and the helpful posts I really appreciate them, and am glad that I have someone to talk to, even if it's cyber and I don't know you :) It kind of makes it easier.

I forgot to add that I am not a "door mat", nor am I irresponsible. My kids are well taken care of, and I have educational and life goals for me and for them. Irresponsible, would be to be sitting on my *kitten* crying all day, not going to school, not being there for them.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Thank you :)
    Hey everyone!

• messyinthekitchen
    Options

I agree with you completely...as I've said, I've never cheated on anyone in my life, except ONE girlfriend back when I was 19 (and it was only 'technically' cheating...she said we were split up). It hurt me more than it hurt her (I lived with it for a long time before I told her). That lesson is one I'll never forget.

The one part I DON'T agree with, is this:
    However he should have manned up and left her.

I'm sorry, under no circumstances is abandoning your family, breaking your home up, and putting your kids through that kind of hell acceptable to me. That's the ONLY thing worse than cheating in my book. If the problem is yours...handle it. If the problem is hers...you deal with it until SHE handles it. He screwed up, as a consequence of indecision, temptation, and probably some level of depression due to her treatment (it wasn't the big things...it was the constant stream of examples of how he wasn't good enough). That didn't make him a bad man...and his kids had many years of a strong male role model in their life due to his decision NOT to leave, even though he screwed up. He put up with years (and probably still is to be honest) of enforced guilt from his wife...who, had he left, I promise you...would never have found another man like him. I can also guarantee he's never had sex not one time since.

Pretty steep punishment for screwing up, in my opinion...particularly since he loved her enough to stick around and take care of her (she didn't work, and hasn't worked since all of us were in High School) to this day.

Now...I also want to quantify this with the statement that I understand and agree completely, that he is in the EXTREME minority. As I've said...there are very few men in this world I like...and even fewer I respect. I am on YOUR side in this...but I would defend this mans decisions with my blood...because not only is he human, and prone to mistakes...but he is one of the few men I know that took full punishment willingly, for the sake of his family.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from here.

Oh no I agree with you 100%. And I think when there is children or no children you should exhaust all resources before leaving. I'm saying he should have used those resources (maybe he did though) before cheating. Because that damage can not be taken back. Infidelity is not a forgivable act in my books. I have a son and if was having problems with my partner, I would never let our relationship get to the point in where I would cheat. I'd do my damnedest to repair our love and if there wasn't anything left, then move on. Without hurting the other and the family. I was a little extreme in calling him a sorry excuse for a man as I don't know his life, I just really believe there is never an excuse for it you know. I hope they have both found happiness though. We only live once and it's saddens me when people live it unhappily.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    So if my husband hurts my feelings and I eat 2 gallons of ice cream, can I blame that on him? How about if he pisses me off and I punch him in the throat? Is that his fault? I'm pretty sure the answer to both of those is no, so I'm gonna call bs on the idea that it can be the fault of the person that gets cheated on. Yes, our spouses do things that hurt/anger/frustrate/upset us, but how we react to them is our choice and ours alone.
  • livnlite
    Options
    So if my husband hurts my feelings and I eat 2 gallons of ice cream, can I blame that on him? How about if he pisses me off and I punch him in the throat? Is that his fault? I'm pretty sure the answer to both of those is no, so I'm gonna call bs on the idea that it can be the fault of the person that gets cheated on. Yes, our spouses do things that hurt/anger/frustrate/upset us, but how we react to them is our choice and ours alone.

Exactly! I know if the roles were reversed and if a husband struck his wife in anger .. it would be termed as physical abuse in a heartbeat. What is the difference if a husband slaps or cheats because he's either pissed off or he's bored? Could the person that got slapped (or cheated on) possibly do anything that would justify THAT course of action? It's all about choice and how we choose to deal with a bad situation.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Exactly! I know if the roles were reversed and if a husband struck his wife in anger .. it would be termed as physical abuse in a heartbeat. What is the difference if a husband slaps or cheats because he's either pissed off or he's bored? Could the person that got slapped (or cheated on) possibly do anything that would justify THAT course of action? It's all about choice and how we choose to deal with a bad situation.

I think you guys are seriously over exaggerating my point.

I never said it wasn't his choice. I said, that between the treatment he was receiving...and this wasn't for weeks or months...it was over the course of years...and the temptation on the other end, day in, day out...all the time...grass greener syndrome...etc, I can understand it.

I don't condone it...but I wouldn't burn HIM at the stake in particular for his decision.

Besides...his conscience did more damage than any punishment man...or yes, even woman...could dish out.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Oh no I agree with you 100%. And I think when there is children or no children you should exhaust all resources before leaving. I'm saying he should have used those resources (maybe he did though) before cheating. Because that damage can not be taken back. Infidelity is not a forgivable act in my books. I have a son and if was having problems with my partner, I would never let our relationship get to the point in where I would cheat. I'd do my damnedest to repair our love and if there wasn't anything left, then move on. Without hurting the other and the family. I was a little extreme in calling him a sorry excuse for a man as I don't know his life, I just really believe there is never an excuse for it you know. I hope they have both found happiness though. We only live once and it's saddens me when people live it unhappily.

I am right with you.

For the last four or so years of the six and a half year relationship I was in...I was miserable. I was cheated on, lied to, hurt in ways that are pretty hard to go into detail on. I've got physical scars on my body from this time. I stuck with it...due to some severe emotional issues she had...but I never, ever...EVER considered cheating. She eventually cheated, and moved 800 miles away. I have our kids...it's still a mess.

And believe me, if ANYONE had an excuse for cheating...I did.

So again...I am on your side completely. I don't feel there's any excuse. I am also one that will talk about our problems until I'm blue in the face or they are worked out...and nothing would interfere with that. Even work would have to be put aside if it were a serious enough problem....so for me, yes...things would be solved or ended before cheating became an option anyhow.

And for the record...I knew my viewpoint wouldn't be interpreted directly as I meant it...but I'm glad I wasn't totally publically crucified before I could get a bit more of an explanation in lol.
  • livnlite
    Options
    Pfffttt! What guy doesn't have temptations? I don't care if she was downright abusive by withholding sex, or making him feel completely inadequate .. THAT is grounds to leave .. NOT CHEAT!

Grounds for 'burning at the stake' .. No it isn't.. People make mistakes, and they can make up for those mistakes and even continue to lead healthy happy lives in the same marriage.

Seems like this guy does not feel like it was a mistake nor is he willing to make up for it. Our OP said he never even said he was sorry. She went on to say things were never the same, so, my guess is (and I could be completely wrong about this because I do not know HIS side of the story) he may very well NOT be sorry for making this mistake, or for hurting her and their family.

They both need to be able to start new .. with or without each other.