Healthy for the Holidays Challenge - 9/06 - 11/22

Options

Replies

• oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    the chart rocks so much. helen you are the best. I'm hoping to have big movement this week so I can have flashy colors and big % on my name too! great motivator
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree Helen the chart looks super fantastic,, thanks for all you do:)

Oh and for anyone wondering about my profile pic....no I didn't have a baby lol. This is my grandson that was born on Monday morning. His name is Cole David and he was born 2 weeks early and still weighed 8 lbs 2 oz. He has a head full of dark hair and is absolutely adorable:):)
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have to agree.. seeing my name in Green makes me VERY happy! Thank you sooo much Helen! :flowerforyou:

Angela-- Congrats on your grand son!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The chart is AWESOME!!!! Good job everyone. Thank You Helen
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Love the chart!!!! I wanna see green next week!!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you Jess. I wanna be in the green next week too:):) We CAN do this!!!!
  • morgan511
    morgan511 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really like the chart with all the colors! I am in yellow and that makes me want to work that much harder so I can be green next week =)
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    can I join this group? My starting weight is 198.2 and my goal weight for 11/22/11 is 173 lbs.

thanks!
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Leslie, where did you get the red quinoa? I'm having no luck finding it at Krogers...I may hit up Publix today....

I got it at my local grocery store, Jess. Ancient Harvest is the brand. But I know they have it at Whole Foods, too.
    Doing awesome with the veggies :bigsmile: And hoping to fit in some strength training after dinner.

Oh, and LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors, Helen!! I love being green!!!
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Helen, the chart is awesome.
  • helena98
    Options
    can I join this group? My starting weight is 198.2 and my goal weight for 11/22/11 is 173 lbs.

thanks!

Hi Mayra! I've added you to our group spreadsheet! Check back every day for motivation, and feel free to share anything with us. Our current week's exercise and food challenge can also be found at the top of the spreadsheet. Here's a link that you can bookmark to access the spreadsheet at anytime:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoomF1o6sg6LdEw2NV92dFQ5RDZqbm1Bek5xR1M4M3c&hl=en_US

Welcome to the group!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    On my 3 mile jog/walk today I finished the first half in 18 min! That's pretty fast for me.

BTW love the spreadsheet. Definitely motivated to stay green!
  • oliviawink
    Options
    Ok on veggies today, but not super like yesterday. DId a total body sculpt with Gilad today which I consider weight training since there's a lot of weight work and calisthenics in it.

Work sucks and I'm overly stressed, but the workouts help to make it less bad. That's a good thing in light of some not-so-good things
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    koeniginhla: thank you for the welcome!

I'm going to jump right in because I have some catching up to do. So glad to be here with you all!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

And finally, my routine :)

It is the same for Mon-Wed-Fri and I will change it up in 1-2 months.

Back: Dumbbell bent over row- 8 reps 3 sets
    Chest: Dumbbell bench press- 8 reps 3 sets
    Quads (Thighs): Dumbbell squats- 8 reps 3 sets
    Hamstrings (Upper back leg): Dumbbell straight leg deadlifts- 8 reps 3 sets
    Abs: Bicycle crunches: 8 reps 3 sets
    Shoulders: Dumbbell lateral raises 8 reps 3 sets

The following is optional:
    Mon: Add 6 reps 2 sets of dumbbell tricep extensions to the above.
    Wed: Add 6 reps 2 sets of standing calf raises with dumbbells to the above.
    Fri: Add 6 reps 2 sets of dumbbell bicep curls to the above.

This is very similar to the routine a trainer at my gym set up for me. I do it at the gym, so I do incorporate a few machines, but it's mostly dumbbell and body weight stuff. I'm really impressed that you came up with this on your own! I have two different total-body routines (to keep things interesting) and my goal is to alternate them every three days (so, one day on, two days off). I haven't quite gotten there yet, but I'm working on it.

Next time I'm at the gym I'll make a copy of my routines and share them with you all.

Well.. I didn't exactly come up with it by myself, I had a lot of help on the forums, especially from stroutman81 (check out his posts, he has a lot of great info) and crisanderson27.
    They also suggested that I do 5x5, I did 8x3 for my first day, but planing to go with their reccomendation and do 5 reps and 5 sets for most movements as I work with heavier weights.

What do you do for abs? I only do 1 thing and it feels like it's not enough? But maybe it is, what does your trainer have you doing for abs?

I do two sets of 15 reps for most of the exercises, but I have no idea what the differences are between the number of sets and reps. Obviously, you could do however many you wanted. Anyway, here are my ab exercises. I've included some links for pictures/explanations in case you don't know what they are.

Routine #1
    30 second plank x2 (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=7)
    15 sit ups on exercise ball x2
    30 second superman x2 (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=191)

Routine #2 (I'm not as sure about the numbers on this one, but these are the exercises)
    15 right-sided crunches, 15 left-sided crunches
    15 bicycle crunches x2
    15 medicine ball twists x2 (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/free_weights/medicine_ball_twist.php)

You could probably do the medicine ball twists with free weights instead of a medicine ball if you don't have one.
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    koeniginhla: thank you for the welcome!

I'm going to jump right in because I have some catching up to do. So glad to be here with you all!

And we're glad to have you, MayLan!!! Have a tremendous week!!
  • MountaineerGirl
    Options
    My weight on Tuesday morning was 147. 1 pound loss. i have faithfully logged in my food each day so far!
  • oliviawink
    Options
    I just want to complain. I'm so over everything. My job is hard, but I've always loved it, but now it's just hard and stressful, like more stress than I've ever experienced before, and won't let up. I hate going to work and I hate knowing that when I leave work I have just a few busy and taxing hours trying to get my house in order and keep my very strong-minded toddler happy (and alive, as she's pretty sure that things like running into traffic is a perfectly reasonable thing to do). My hubby works nights and I feel like i need him to work days. I not only miss him, but I feel like I need the support at home, I'm really working to eat right and exercise but there's something about the low 160s that really won't budge. Angela recommended upping my calorie intake, which scares me, but I know it's worked for others. I changed my activity level settings, because I am spending more time on my feet than I used to, but strangely my cals didn't come up through that, so I think I just need to change the amount of loss/week setting.

I just want any small part of my life is be joyful and easy and it's not. Thanks for hearing me out
  • jenniferjgayfield
    Options
    Almost Friday...thanking God for that...I'm sure that this Monday I won't have a net loss, but hoping to lose what I gained last weekend, have been really good with my eating this week, hopefully it pays off!
    @Olivia Just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. Hating going into work is not okay, that stress can be part of what is keeping the weight on. Stress has a way of negatively impacting our health in many ways, and is definitely a hindrance to weight loss. Not having that support from your husband at night must be so difficult. I hope that you are able to find joy, you deserve it, and of course, feel free to complain and share here anytime. Sending virtual hugs!
    Hope everybody is having a great week!
    Jenni
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I love the veggie challenge. You can eat alot of raw veggies and its not many calories. I have started having salad for lunch and raw veggies to snack on. Great challenge! The strength training is another story.......